PDA

View Full Version : Toot! Toot!

meowmeow
08-06-2005, 08:51 PM
:D Just thought I would toot my own horn a bit...I won a 2nd place ribbon today at our local art show. There were about 40 artists showing and they give 1st, 2nd and 3rd place ribbons, plus 3 honorable mentions, all for overall work. Last year I got an honorable mention and this time I almost fell over when they came and gave me the red 2nd place one...along with a nice little check.
Here is a photo a friend took (actually, she was set up right next to me and she got the 1st place ribbon!).

Sandy

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Aug-2005/15050-me.JPG

jerseybarb
08-06-2005, 08:54 PM
Congratulations! Meow-meow is going toot-toot

Bringer
08-06-2005, 09:04 PM
Hi,

Congratulations !
You must have done a great work for sure, since for what I can appreciate from the photo, the exposed works do seem of very high standard.

Regards,

Josť

khourianya
08-06-2005, 09:23 PM
:clap: WOOOHOOO Sandy! Way to go!!!

Piper Ballou
08-06-2005, 10:04 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:
Congratulations Sandy...glad the entire day went well for you

What painting won the 2nd prize?
piper

meowmeow
08-06-2005, 10:22 PM
Thanks all of you! Yep...it was a good day. I guess you do enough shows, you get to have a good day now and again! :D
The ribbon is for the booth, as it were..the whole "body of work"....they don't pick a particular painting. So it really was a nice surprise!

Sandy

angecald
08-06-2005, 11:30 PM
Congratulations, Sandy! :clap: :clap: :clap:

tURBOCAT
08-07-2005, 12:11 AM
Congratulations!!! Good for you!

Johnnie

Kathryn Wilson
08-07-2005, 12:14 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

CONGRATULATIONS SANDY !!!

Everyone should get to toot their own horn - especially for the "body of work" which seems to me to be much better than for one painting.

Kat

Nori
08-07-2005, 02:26 AM
A W E S O M E !! You are one dedicated artist and so deserving of this honor. From what I know of you through this website you are a wonderful lady too and I can't think of anyone who deserves this more Way to go.

*Marina*
08-07-2005, 04:05 AM
Congratulations Sandy.
Marina

Dark_Shades
08-07-2005, 06:30 AM
Toot Toot Back Sandy lol, blowing your horn too ....... well done, and well deserved - all your hard work paying off

Real pleased and Proud of you

Khadres
08-07-2005, 07:52 AM
Wow! Fantastic!!! We KNEW you'd come up a winner! Having seen most of those paintings go through here at some point, I agree with the judges! Definitely fine work!

meowmeow
08-07-2005, 08:36 AM
Having seen most of those paintings go through here at some point

Aha! And that's the thing....I couldn't have done it without all your help!

Such nice comments....what a super bunch of friends you all are. I really do appreciate all the support and encouragement and serious help I get here. Thank you all so much!

Sandy

bnoonan
08-07-2005, 03:10 PM
Hey Sandy!!! Three cheers - hip hip hurrah! Nice photo and I see you surrounded by your beautiful art brings a wide smile!!!!

Barb

Pat Isaac
08-07-2005, 07:58 PM
WOOHOO, Sandy. Awwesome! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Nice to be recognized...

Pat

scall0way
08-07-2005, 08:16 PM
Congratulations! How wonderful!

Debbie C.

CindyW
08-08-2005, 12:02 AM
Congratulations, Sandy, you certainly deserve it! What a great feeling! Your booth looks terrific. Thanks for sharing!
Cindy

eagle owl
08-08-2005, 10:14 AM
Well done Sandy. Your booth looks great.

Carol

Trilby
08-09-2005, 06:08 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Standing ovation here (((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))) :wave: :) Great going! Well deserved, tootle away, you've earned it! It's a fine looking presentation and a terrific body of work. What a nice concept to honor a body of work and not just a single piece. I am curious what are the standards for judging a booth?
TJ

meowmeow
08-09-2005, 06:25 PM
Thank you everyone!

TJ, you raise a very good issue..what are the standards they use? WE were discussing that at last night's business meeting. In this case, the judge is a woman who teaches at the art college in Portland. There have been times when the person is simply someone who was convinced to come be a judge! In any case, it is obviously just one person's opinion. I know she spent time going around, she took 2 or 3 hours looking, went into each booth, and I saw her in mine looking closely at several paintings.
Who knows...does she consider things like composition, technique...she didn't give any written spiel with the award. IN fact I think she was gone by the time they came around and handed out the ribbons.
So my attitude is that I am delighted to have won...I am always happier to win than not win...hehe...but honestly, I keep it all in perspective. It is this woman's opinion..she liked my stuff. That's nice.
I know I have improved and I will continue to plug away.
And the next time we have a judge he or she may walk right by my booth! :D
And no, I am not belittling my work...just keeping a level head about it all.

Sandy

CindyW
08-09-2005, 06:52 PM
And no, I am not belittling my work...just keeping a level head about it all.

Sandy

And we all definitely benefit from your sharing the reality of a show's judge/s and the ribbons given out. It sounds like you've got the exact right attitude needed to have a great experience with shows.
Cindy

SweetBabyJ
08-09-2005, 08:10 PM
Congratulations Sandy- you deserve this- you've worked very hard and developed a solid technique.

CarlyHardy
08-09-2005, 08:37 PM
(((((Sandy)))))

Congratulations!! The artwork shows beautifully in your booth and you have every right to be tooting!! :D

carly

CarlyHardy
08-09-2005, 08:46 PM
For several years I was involved with an outdoor show of arts and fine crafts. We had a juror each year to choose awards in both categories. I walked with one of the judges for the fine arts my last year to learn more about how she selected the winners.

Several things she looked for.....
1. A cohesive body of work that showed a professional level of expertise with the chosen medium
2. How well the artwork held up as viewed from a distance and up-close.
3. How well the art was presented in the overall booth set-up.

She said that choosing awards for an outdoor show was not unlike choosing winners for an indoor show except that you had to consider the entire content of the booth space and the artist's presentation of the art a lot more.

Your judge may have used other criteria, but I found overall each year that the winners usually met the above. I always picked my own winners to see if I could match the judges' decisions :D

carly

Orchidacea
08-09-2005, 09:46 PM
Congratulations, Sandy!! Was that the Saco Bay Artists' show? Oooh, I do miss Maine. Your work is wonderful and I'm sure the award was well-deserved.

Paula Ford
08-10-2005, 09:48 PM
WOW, that's fantastic Sandy...CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Paula

meowmeow
08-10-2005, 10:46 PM
Thnaks to all of you....you are all so supportive! I love it!

Yes, Kim, it was Saco Bay Artists.

Sandy

Mikki Petersen
08-11-2005, 02:15 PM
Late, but no less enthusiastic...Congratulations! What a nice affirmation of your talent! Way to go, Sandy!

Mikki

Ruth Grinstead
08-11-2005, 02:48 PM
That is brilliant news, Sandy, well done and richly deserved :clap:

Ruth