PDA

View Full Version : The Colour Pencil Recipe Book

Katherine T
05-22-2005, 03:37 AM
How many times have you surprised yourself when creating a painting to find that using a particular colour made the whole painting zing? How many times have you wondered what colours people used to create a particular effect? And who can ever remember what they used after they've finished or where the recipe is that your fellow artist provided at the time?
THIS THREAD IS A RECIPE BOOK - the recipes are about which colours you used to create a particular effect. It's for making a note of "how I did this" - in terms of which colour pencils you used (brands and colours) - which you and other members of the forum can access easily in future.

So, when you've done something you're pleased with post the recipe in this thread. Create a record of your colour pencil recipe by doing the following:
decide what to call your recipe eg "golden labrador fur" and use this title prominently at the beginning of your post. Ideally make it bold.
state the CP brand used and make a list of all the colours used for the subject matter. Ideally differentiate between brands and colours if you're using a mix of bands. If the recipe is just for e.g. Labrador fur, you needn't provide all the colours used for other parts of the image unless you want to. If you do make this clear (eg background is.......). You might also want to indicate which colour you used a lot or all over and which were just used a little or in specific sections of the work.
include a small image of the work in question
include a link to the relevant thread if the recipe relates to a work completed in this forum - particularly if this gives a better idea of the sequence of colours in a WIP. PM me if you don't know how to create a link.
You could also include references to the page numbes of published CP recipes included in the standard CP instruction books we all use - that'll save all those times when you know there's a recipe for something somewhere.....but just can't remember where! Skin tones and Ann Kullberg's book spring to mind as a frequent request and response which comes up in this forum.

If you want to dig out all the details from a thread posted in the CP Library I suggest you contact the thread 'owner' first who may or may not be grateful that you want to include their recipes in this thread! You can suggest a recipe which should be added though and reference a thread where the information is.

If we get loads of colour pencil recipes then I'll have a little think about we can best organise them so that they can be accessed easily. Let's see how this thread progresses first.

And all credit to Nicole who generated the idea for this thread by asking whether anybody wanted her mushroom couch recipe? :D So, whether it's mushroom couchs, golden labradors or grass, post your recipes here for the general interest and further education of forum members.

Get cooking!
Katherine

Katherine T
05-22-2005, 06:49 AM
There I am posting this new thread and there's Gayle doing her cat on black paper and posting colour recipes at the same time! :D So I PMd here and here is her reply.

Katherine you're brilliant.
I can never remember what I've used once I've finished a particular work and am too lazy to note it down most of the time. I do write on the edges of my paper but of course once framed, gone.
I'm useless at links but you might like to include my cats eye, I remember detailing all the colours, and in my unfinished Zebra's(Bottoms Up, I think the thread was) I detailed how I make black.
I will add this fur when I've finished.So I'll make sure we add colour recipes from both those threads into this thread.

Anybody wanting to add tips about how you keep records of colours used while you're doing a painting please also add comments.

Personally I keep a all the colours used in a mug - which makes it really easy to carry said pencils around if I want to move rooms - but can make for some confusion if I've got more than one painting on the go using similar colours.

Cheers
Katherine

RobinZ
05-22-2005, 08:45 AM
I must be a disorganized nut. I don't keep track. And of course, sometimes I have to correct a layer that was a mistake, lol.

I'm sure I will learn a lot from you organized folks! Great idea, Katherine!!

Weezy
05-22-2005, 09:40 AM
UGH! I'm up on a Sunday morning, and on WC BEFORE coffee......sheeze I am so addicted to this place. :p

What a phenominal idea....this is one that will have to be rated for sure. Great suggestion Nicole and Katherine. You two are putting out a synergistic energy here. Good job.

Katherine your idea of the coffee mug is absolutely brilliant. Thanks for that one. Now if I just don't poke my eye out, I'll be fine.

I am one who never keeps notes also. I shall mend my ways forthwith. (Of course bear in mind that I am promising this on a mind that has not had its normal caffeine stimulation yet this morning.)

I did copy Nicole's recipe to a word doc and intended to purloin all good recipes I found from that point on. But you two took it to a better level. Good on you for that.

Let's all don't forget to rate this as we go! :clap: :wave: :D

Katherine T
05-22-2005, 09:58 AM
Weezy and Robin - thank you for the kind words.

Here's the first recipe - by Gayle

Blacks and greys - without using black or greys Glenspey / April 2004

Blacks and greys are created using:prismas in cloud blue,deco orange, periwinkle, pumpkin orange, grape and indigo and polychromos blue violet and pine green.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2005/48045-Gayle_Zebra_File0003.jpg

Thread links: Bottoms Up - in Animal and Wildlife Forum (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184081) and Bottoms Up - in the CP Forum (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184078)

Rosa Weitzel
05-22-2005, 11:18 AM
Wow! Now I know I have to keep tract of what Im doing, I just reach and if it looks like the color I am needing at the time I just jump in and use the pencil. Sometimes I will write what Im using on the side of the paper and like Katherine I put the pencils that I am using on a particular painting in a tub so its there when I go back.

:crying: will promise to do better.

Rosa

Katherine T
05-22-2005, 11:38 AM
Next recipe from Gayle - this is from the fur tutorial which is in the CP Library , link here Eye Spy II - including Fur Tutorial (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261928). Although this post includes extracts from the thread concerned, I cannot emphasise too much that you need to read it in full to understand how Gayle uses the colours. All the words are Gayles but the underlining (to show area of fur the colours apply to) is mine.

Cat fur Glenspey / November 2004

I have started working on the eye socket. I first looked for the shiny areas and put down a thick layer of white. I then used beige, raw umber, dark brown, sepia and dark umber in that order to build the depth. I added indigo and black in the darkest areas and then picked up my light spots with another layer of white. I have added indigo blue to the right of the eye socket and then Black Grape throughout the socket, I am not really following the reference for colours, I know how I want it to end up and work to that end.

I have started building the fur in beige and raw umber. There are three diffenent areas here :-
1. The close fur on the side of the nose: For the nose I do short strokes which overlap, I have used beige, light and dark peach, raw umber and dark brown, I am using them together rather than one layer of each, I will keep going until I achieve the depth.
2.The longer eyebrow fur: I have used a beige base and then I have drawn in some hairs with dark brown, I will continue to build on this but this first layer defines where I'm going.
3.The denser dark stripe: I need it broken up by lighter fur so, after the beige basecoat I have done longer looser strokes of raw umber and dark brown which don't overlap. [next stage] I've darkened the dark stripe using raw umber, dark brown, sepia and dark umber, leaving the area's I want to have lighter fur.

Nostrils / nose: I have layered black grape in the nostrils and round the edge of the nose, layered cream and peach over the fleshy areas.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2005/48045-Gayle-eye1a-small.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2005/48045-Gayle-eye1b-small.jpg

This is the nose, dark umber, indigo, paynes grey and black in the nostril, light peach, blush pink, dark peach, a little golden rod, henna and then more of the same on the fleshy part.

I have started working the chest fur in, I need to do it at the same time as the jaw to see how the colours interact. I don't want the chest to compete with the head so my strokes are all light and much longer as the fur is longer. I am working with white to lighten some areas then, cloud blue, clay rose and celedon green, in no particular order just keeping on layering.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2005/48045-Galye---eye1c-small.jpghttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-May-2005/48045-Gayle-eye1e-small.jpg

NB Essentially from this point on the tutorial is essentially about how to use the colours rather than the colours used. The basic message being 'more of the same'. Again, as stated at the beginning, please refer to Gayle's wonderful tutorial in the CP Library for more detail.

JayD
05-22-2005, 12:02 PM
Hi, Katherine--great idea--I was planning on doing this here in the real world but this is much, much better.

I am not a guide assigned to this forum but I would like to make a suggestion that you contact the moderator and have this thread stickied so that people can find it to add their recipes with relative ease. Otherwise the effort will be lost when it sinks 20,000 leagues beneath the sea of threads. :)

Katherine T
05-22-2005, 12:19 PM
Thanks Jay D - I thought it was pretty neat idea too although I have Nicole to thank for calling it a recipe as I think it was that which triggered the idea.

I'll PM Val and suggest she keeps an idea on it and stickies it should it start to fall off the first page - and then when we've plundered all of our memory banks for where on earth we kept all those little notes with the colours on ;) it can go to the CP Library.

Katherine

Noadi
05-22-2005, 12:23 PM
This is such a great idea!

War Beast or Rhino skin.

I used closeups of rhino and elephant skin as reference so this should work just as well for those.

This recipe requires a colored surface. I used gotham gray strathmore artagain paper but other grey-brown papers or paper toned with cp or watercolor should work too.

Prismas used:
- French Grey 90%
- White
- Light Umber
- Sienna Brown
- Indigo
- Peach
- Blush Pink

1) Defined the shape of the wrinkles by using French Grey 90% in the crevasses and White over the highlights.
2) Added Peach and Blush Pink to the softer areas of skin such as around the eyes, mouth, and ears.
3) I used a light wash of Light Umber over all but the brightest highlight, darkening the wash around the darker areas. Then added a light Sienna Brown wash over the pinker areas such as the ears. I used a combination of blending stump and colorless blender to smooth everything out.
4) Indigo Blue and French Grey 90% were used to bring out the darkest shadows and more white was used to brighten highlights.

Ooops, nearly forgot the picture.

ValorieCox
05-22-2005, 01:39 PM
Great thread Katherine! Remember everyone to 'rate the threads' (5-stars) of those you find most helpful, then we'll be able to add the thread to the CP Library, so we can find it again when we need it. :) Val

JayD
05-22-2005, 01:55 PM
This definitely a 10 sheltie thread so come on everybody lets rate this puppy--I'm doing it now!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

piper2
05-22-2005, 02:10 PM
OK, I figured I'd add my "Midas" piece since he used such a weird combination of colors.

RECIPE FOR PALOMINO HORSES:

All in Prismacolors:

Underpainted first with

- Violet

For shadows:
- Crimson Red
- Crimson Lake
- Dark Purple
- Indigo Blue
- Dark Brown

For mid-range areas:
- Crimson Red
- Burnt Ochre
- Goldenrod
- Spanish Orange
- Yellow Ochre
- Bronze
- Sienna Brown

Lightest areas:
- Burnt Ochre
- Goldenrod
- Yellow Ochre
- Beige
- French Gray 20%
- Bronze

What surprised me in this piece was how much of it was actually defined with the reds. The yellows and light colors played a very minimal part.

Great idea for a thread, Katherine! Once it gets big enough it should be really helpful.

piper2
05-22-2005, 02:13 PM
Darn! I forgot two important ingredients for my palomino. Orange and Pale Vermillion. Used very liberally!

JayD
05-22-2005, 02:51 PM
bring to a boil then quickly turn back then stir occassionally. :D

CAULFIELD
05-22-2005, 04:08 PM
Thanks Katherine for starting this thread! I was just thinking about the recipes too - I was seriously thinking about putting them on recipe cards. Partially because I always want to buy vintage recipe boxes. :D

Recipe for Mushroom Leather Couch (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=269978&page=4&pp=15) (I swear that was the color description when I bought it). ALL PRISMACOLORS. :)

sloppy underpainting establishing values with three french greys

I used light umber as my local color

and added olive green, mahogany, greyed lavender, & lilac.

I used black grape for shadows and black grape, indigo and tuscan red for the darker areas.

At the end I added pumpkin orange and pale vermillion (one of my most favorite colors)

ENJOY!

Nicole

CAULFIELD
05-22-2005, 04:17 PM
Karen Cardinal - Hey wouldn't this be a great idea for a site or an extension to a site ;) - The ColorePencil Recipe Site (ok it would need a better name). I'm making a blog for my site right now - and the blog format would be perfect for it. Everyone could post their own recipes and then use the search function on the blog to find the recipe they need.... Hmmmm do I have time for that??? :)

JayD
05-22-2005, 05:42 PM
Or The Colored Pencil Laboratory in order to encompass the things you can mix with colored pencils to get effects--people could experiment and submit their results. :)

NancyPH
05-22-2005, 11:30 PM
This is a great idea for a thread! Nice to refer to whenever we need it.

Some people have asked me about the colors I used for Marley's fur, so I guess maybe I can add them here.

Since Marley was done on Crescent suede board, I planned on NOT using too many layers. Her colors were real easy to arrive at, and I had to keep reapplying the color as it constantly sank into the suede and seemed to disappear.

For her fur, I used, in this order - Yellow ochre and burnt ochre. For darker areas of her fur I used yellow ochre, burnt ochre, and terra cotta. For the even darker areas on her, I added to that list sienna brown, light umber, and dark brown. For the highlighted areas, I used yellow ochre and white, in that order. Occasionally, I used yellow ochre, burnt ochre, and then white.

See simple as could be! Suede requires lots of layers, but the layers are of the same few colors over and over, then I lightly spray with workable fixative. The suede won't take much spraying before you will ruin the suede by trying to add more color onto it.

Hope this can help someone. :D

Katherine T
05-23-2005, 02:01 AM
Thanks Noadi, Maggie, Nicole and Nancy - splendid stuff. Don't forget the links to the threads.

Now we're going to need a few more recipes if this is going to be more than just a good idea - so what about a few on the various colours of skin and didn't we have a grass one somewhere that George did. And then there's always golden labrador!

Any other ideas for what needs to be included here?

Katherine

piper2
05-23-2005, 02:13 AM
Any other ideas for what needs to be included here?

Katherine

How about recipes for some Katherine-esque water?

wet
05-23-2005, 10:03 AM
How about a sky recipe? I would love to have that at my finger tips. wanda

frida
05-28-2005, 03:50 PM
Great thread! :clap:

I don't have "recipes" to share. I eventually come up with a good combination and make a note of it, so I'll see what I can find...

Unlike Katherine, I only work in one room, on one piece at a time. I have the pencils I am using on the current one in a small box lid used as a tray, on a taboret next to me.

Something that helps me for future reference, are the basic notes I keep. I have dedicated a small sketchbook to what I work on. I have the title, paper, size, value thumbnail. And notes such as: Leaves - DS # (a little patch of colour) - PC 901 - PC 916, and so on. Especially good if for some reason I need to move to something else... Nothing elaborate, but it's all there!

Karen Cardinal
05-30-2005, 03:36 AM
Karen Cardinal - Hey wouldn't this be a great idea for a site or an extension to a site ;) - The ColorePencil Recipe Site (ok it would need a better name). I'm making a blog for my site right now - and the blog format would be perfect for it. Everyone could post their own recipes and then use the search function on the blog to find the recipe they need.... Hmmmm do I have time for that??? :)
Oh don't tempt me Nicole! I already have so many additions and new sections I'm adding to the CPC it isn't even funny. I guess I have been scripting too much lately though... I can't imagine putting information on a site now without using a database so it can be catagorized a hundred different ways, easily searched and quickly edited. :rolleyes:

Katherine this is a great idea. It would be fun to have everyone's ideas gathered together. :D

Hmmmm... my color recipe... I think everyone knows it by now. a light shade and a dark shade of each of the primary colors, plus white. With those 7 (or sometimes 8) pencils I can make any color and any value I want. Someday I may try something else, but I like this pallet. It's very easy to work with and I don't make as many "mistakes" with my colors as I used to when I used 50 or more colors in a work.

Katherine T
06-18-2005, 05:39 AM
I'm bumping this back up the top if only so that I start thinking about recipes for doing water. And I guess others may also have their own recipes so please add them in, I suggest a hyperlink to the thread where an image can be seen and then indicate colours.

The other one I was thinking of doing was one for a nice dark cherry wood my current preoccupation!

Katherine T
06-19-2005, 02:48 AM
Instead of which I comment on another thread and then remember that I listed out all the pencils I used for a flower!

So here is the flower....which is my Barts Lily (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251347&page=1&pp=15)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jun-2005/48045-wcwaterlilypost4b.jpg

.........and here are all the pinks I used.

pink colours include:

Karisma: pink rose; pink; hot pink; lavender; carmine red; process red; magenta; crimson red; bright purple; dahlia purple; purple; imperial violet
Lyra Rembrandt: medium flesh; dark flesh; rose madder lake; pale geranium lake; rose carmine; light carmine; dark carmine; wine red;
Polychromos: light magenta; dark flesh; pink madder lake; red violet; alizarin crimson; rose carmine; dark red; burnt carmine
Caran d'Ache Pablo: salmon pink; rose pink; light purple; purple
PS I realised that colour recipes only make sense when you can see the image - hence why I ignored my own advice and posted the image ;):D - but maybe any comments about the flower (if people haven't seen it before) should go in the "It's a Flower" thread which you can get to on the Barts Lily hyperlink

lynn1
06-19-2005, 06:45 PM
Vibrant reds

I thought some of y'all might be interested in this.

I started with one layer of drk green just on the darkest spots you see. Over that I used 2-3 layers of Raspberry.Then 2-3 layers of Crimson Red.

On the next darkest areas I used 2 layers of raspberry and then 3 layers Crimson Red.

The majority of the cap is done with Scarlet lake.

The lightest areas are Camino red and pink. Starting with pink and alternating layers and then more or less burnishing those areas with pink.

Then to tie it all together so the changes weren't so abrupt...I did 3 very light washes over the whole cap with scarlet lake.

Hope this is helpful to you.

All of these were VERY light layers. (The # of layers is a 'best' guess at this point)

Yes...all Prismas.

Talimah
06-24-2005, 10:30 PM
What an great thread! I will definately be back here often. I haven't been doing cp long enough to have any recipes, but I can sure use some of these. Thanks everyone.

Julie

Khadres
06-25-2005, 01:06 AM
Wow! What a treasure trove this is going to be! I'm just beginning to explore colored pencils and the info in this thread is going to be soooo useful to me! The fantastic work done in this forum is a real inspiration! Thanks to all who are so willing to share their "secrets"!

Katherine T
06-25-2005, 05:31 AM
This is Lori/Lahree's colour pencil recipe for the gorgeous hair in her Sun Bather (not a Fairy) (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277788&page=1&pp=15)thread. Click on the link to see this lovely work

For the hair I used Creame, Jasmine, Lavender, Goldenrod, Brown Ochre (from Faber Castell--it is really golden brown color, beautiful!), Raw Umber and Dark Umber, and some Rose Lavender color and some White.

pinkrybns
06-25-2005, 07:39 AM
R/Y/B pencil choices.

This is for anyone interested in trying the R/Y/B technique (where you only use 3 primary colored pencils + a white pencil) and are curious about which colors to use amongst some of the different brands. And here is a link to my WIP Hot Peppers R, Y, B (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278475&page=1&pp=15) to see how the technique works.

Below are the only R/Y/B pencils I use in Prismas/Karismas and their equivilents in some other brands I've used. Prisma/Karisma is listed first; in my opinion, they work the best for this technique.

Prisma/Karisma:
Red: Raspberry lightfast! means it won't fade (you could use Magenta, but again, it is not very lightfast in this brand of pencil and stay away from Process Red it is NOT lightfast!)

Blue: True Blue don't try any other blue - this is the only one you should use in an R/Y/B piece.

Yellow: Canary Yellow ( I use this almost exclusively - but you can also use Lemon Yellow if you want cooler tones. Lemon yellow is a cool yellow, Canary is warm)

White: White! I find the Prisma white to work best among all the brands of whites I have, and it will work with the other brands too.

Faber-Castell Polychromos:
Red: Magenta #9201-135 ( this has a 3 star lightfast rating which is excellent) Don't try to use any other red - they won't give you the right mix when going for a say a purple - this Magenta seems to be just about right for good mixes - IMO

Blue: Pthalo Blue #9201-110 ( don't use any other blue - this is as close to the Prisma True Blue as you can possibly get - almost identical)

Yellow: Cadmium Yellow #9201- 107 ( this is almost identical to Canary Yellow - sorry I haven't tested the cooler yellows in the Polys.. on my 'to do list'..lol)

White: well I don't like the Polychromos white for this technique - doesn't blend out well so I use the Prisma white without any problems.

Van Goghs
Red: Burnt Carmine #323 (this is very close to the Poly's Magenta and the Prisma Raspberry and it has a 3 star lightfast rating. Again, don't use another red - the object of this technique is to get a good mix with your blue for a purple and a good mix with your yellow for an orange. This color seems to do the trick in the Van Goghs - IMO.)

Blue: Azure Blue # 526 (this is the closest to Prisma True Blue)

Yellow: Perm. Yellow Light #283 ( this is the closest to Canary Yellow although it does already have a wee bit of white in it - hence the name 'light"-but it works fine - IMO)

White: OK, hate to say this but, the Van Gogh white is totally awful! Way too hard and doesn't mix in well - IMO (they'll run me out of Holland now...lol)

All of the above brands can be used in conjunction/combination with the others (no matter if they are oil based pencils or wax based pencils) - but, I'd say start with the Prismas/Karismas if you've never ever done an R/Y/B piece - they just mix better.

Now I do have a few Pablo's - haven't tested them yet, although I have used the White pencil some - still not a Prisma white, but works better than the Polychromos white, in this technique. I am not suggesting that either of these whites are not great - just not so useful to me with this technique. You may discover otherwise. :)

I also have some Lyra's. I haven't used the Lyra's in this technique yet ( just got them recently), I'll update this when I do something with the Lyra's.

:)
~Judy

Katherine T
07-10-2005, 09:32 AM
Found it - and it was further back than I thought. We don't half get through a lot of pages these days. (Sorry - by way of explanation we've just had a minor hiatus when it appeared that we couldn't post to the version of this thread which is in the CP Library - had to go and find out if the original was still out there somwhere - and it was!).

catchlight
07-10-2005, 09:31 PM
Thanks Katherine!

Recipe for a Leopard:
Nose:
Polychromos - Light flesh, Cinnamon, Dark Indigo, venetian red
Derwent - white for highlights.

Spots:
Polychromos - Dark Indigo, Black and Dark Sepia.

Fur:
-Highlights-
Derwent - ultramarine and sky blue.
Polychromos - ultramarine, sky blue and light ultramarine.

-Main fur colour-
Derwent - Brown ochre, white, raw umber, brown ochre
Polychromos - Cream, ivory, dark indigo, dark sepia, venetian red, terracotta, dark naples yellow.

Wood:
Derwent - Brown ochre for the base, raw umber, vandyke brown, white, venetian red
Polychromos - dark indigo, dark sepia, venetian red, middle cadmium red.

this is the thread my leopard WIP is in - http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281327&page=4

And here's a picture of him :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jul-2005/57873-leowip10.jpg

catchlight
07-10-2005, 09:37 PM
And also!

Recipe for a wolf!

Eye's:
Polychromos - Dark naples yellow for the main iris colour, permanent green olive, dark indigo, dark sepia, terracotta with sky blue and white for the catchlight. Black for the pupil and reflected pupil in his left eye.

The coat:
Caran D'ache Pablo's - white, black, umber, ultramarine and cobalt blue
Polychromos - dark indigo, dark sepia (can't do any drawing without those two), sky blue and terracotta.
Derwents - sky blue, raw umber, brown ochre, vandyke brown, white.

The nose uses all blues - dark indigo, ultramarine and sky blue from polychromos, ultramarine, cobalt blue and white from pablo's and sky blue and white from derwents. I used the black of the paper as well.

Basically it's variations on the same colours all the way through .

Here's the link to the thread with my WIP in it:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281467

And here's a picture of him!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Jul-2005/57873-wolfwip9.jpg

Weezy
07-10-2005, 10:51 PM
Oh,,Wendy this is phenomenal. Lovely.

Have you ever given any thought to doing wildlife pictures for some outfit like the Nature Conservancy? or National Wildlife Federation in Washington, D.C.? They use artists' paintings to produce coats, shirts, jackets, dishes, shower curtains, etc... A portion goes to promote the protection of the wild and its inhabitants and the artist gets paid too! What you are selling is the repro rights. Just wondered if you had thought about it. You can find both on the web. I know its not your country, but these groups do a lot of good all over the planet and its good exposure.
I'd buy your stuff.....maybe you are missing a really big market out there??? :D

catchlight
07-10-2005, 11:42 PM
Ooh weezy seriously? I'd love to do that! My big dream would be to find a way to make painting animals pay! :)

Weezy
07-10-2005, 11:47 PM
So what on earth are you waiting for? email these guys and send them a watermarked picture of two of your latest and best pieces. Let them knwo that the repro rights are available on a per use license. That way you do not relinquish all rights to repro.

Go get 'em Wendy!

catchlight
07-11-2005, 12:36 AM
Ooh crikey, okay I'll give it a go, what have I got lose after all :)

Katherine T
07-13-2005, 12:47 PM
Bump - and the bear!

catchlight
07-13-2005, 09:37 PM
Recipe for a Grizzly Bear:

Leave picnic basket outside and/or feed the bears no matter what the warning signs say! Drop sandwiches all around the outside of your tent and wait inside with camera at the ready (and a tranquilizer gun mightn't hurt either).

Grizzly fur:
This grizzly is a bit wet so his fur has clumped together with little glistening bits on the ends where the light hits it. Grizzly fur is also much darker underneath and works towards lighter on the ends. Because I did this on black paper I left the paper colour for the darkest bits.
Polychromos - Juniper green, grey green (yes there is a lot of green in a grizzly coat!), terracotta, dark indigo and dark sepia for the darkest bits.
Derwent - sky blue, raw umber, brown ochre, vandyke brown, white.
Pablo's- white.

Grizzly eyes - terracotta, dark sepia, magenta, indigo, caput mortuum violet all in polychromos.
pablo - white
derwent - sky blue

Mouth:
polychromos - pale flesh, dark flesh, cinnamon, middle cadmium red, dark indigo, dark sepia, cream, ivory.
pablo's - white.

Teeth:
Polychromos- ivory as a base
Derwent - raw sienna for the yellowish bits, raw umber for the darker bits and then a little polychromos dark sepia for the bases of the teeth and soe dark indigo too.

Nose:
Polychromos - middle cadmium red for the red in the nostrils, dark indigo, ultramarine, light ultramarine, sky blue.
Derwent - raw sienna in patches, sky blue
pablo - ultramarine and white.

Think that's everything!
The link to the thread with my wip in is
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=281737&page=1

And here he is :)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Jul-2005/57873-bearwip_6.jpg

Katherine T
07-18-2005, 02:12 AM
Cherry recipes please

BKWYRM
07-18-2005, 02:24 PM
Okay, here you go:

Here's the thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=283052).

Paper is Arches hot press 140#, so the finish is nice and smooth and the paper is white.

On the cherries, I did the highlights first. Then I did black cherry, indigo, and tuscan red for the darkest sections. Then I did all the reds, followed by violet and more poppy red. If it needed more darks, I used tuscan or violet, covered with more poppy red or peach in the lighter areas.

highlights:
deco peach (I recommend light peach, but I was out), white or greyed lavender, lavender, peach (depending on which side of the painting)

cherries:
black cherry, scarlet lake, crimson red, poppy red, violet, indigo blue, peach, tuscan red, greyed lavender

stems:
indigo blue, limepeel, deco peach, peach, violet, tuscan red

dark blue bowl:
indigo blue, copenhagan blue, violet, lilac, lavender, black, greyed lavender