PDA

View Full Version : Field of Gold

mirizar
08-05-2005, 10:48 PM
Hi! This is my 3rd acrylic painting. It is 18X24 inches on masonite with Dick Blick and Liquitex paints. I must say this is my first and last painting on masonite since: 1) It was a pain to prepare with sanding and 3 layers of gesso 2) it warped a little (even though I applied gesso on the back and it's 1/4 inch thick) and 3) the board sucked all my paint so I had to keep adding paint.

I used a photo in the reference image library by joemajury.

Critique and comment are welcome.

Thanks,
Michelle

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2005/31994-field_of_gold.jpg

krystakaye
08-05-2005, 11:08 PM
Lovely Job!
I'm not a huge fan of masonite (only done one painting on it), but keep thinking I will go back to it when I run out of canvas! ha. Someone had told me AFTER my painting that they put a coat of white paint down on top of the gessoed masonite to keep it from DRINKING all the paint....I may try that.
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR NEXT ONE!!!! Krysta

maverick
08-05-2005, 11:29 PM
Excellent. I really like the foreground colors.

You should try 1/8th or 1/4 inch plywood instead of masonite. You can get it already sanded. It only takes 2 coats of gesso. I use a mini paint roller and it goes on perfectly. It doesn't soak up the paint like masonite. You can attach a wood frame to the back to keep if from warping, but if you don't have the tools to do that, just gesso both sides and it will flatten out.

maverick

Radical Eel
08-06-2005, 10:52 AM
I love this crisp image. I like how you used a bit of small detail, because if you hadn't it might be lacking. I can just imagine walking through that field over to the tree. Very nice!!

mirizar
08-06-2005, 11:07 AM
Thanks all for your input! This was simple but fun :-)

Maverick: Do you get the sanded plywood at the hardware store? Do they cut it for you? As a kid I used canvas panels and I love painting on them since I like the canvas on the top and a hard surface, but I recently realized that they may not last too long due to the cardboard inner core. However, I recently found that Fredrix sells canvas panels with a hardboard core. I went to the local Jerry's Artarama and couldn't find them but bought these instead in 11X14 just to try:

http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-supply-stores/online/4144

I'll try them and let you know if I like them.

Michelle

maverick
08-06-2005, 01:03 PM
Yes, I got the plywood from Home Depot, but I think most lumber stores would have something like it. The plywood is meant for finish work, so it's already smooth. They had it in small sheets (24x24 or 24x48). I think most places would cut it for you just the way you want.

I've made my own canvas panels like the ones at Jerry's. They work really well too.

Maverick

Wayne Gaudon
08-06-2005, 02:21 PM
Duron is an extremely good surface to paint on. It is made by Masonite. Masonite has different grades of boards. If you are using the panel board (smooth on one side, bubbles on the other) then it will suck the life out of you because it's doesn't have the quality of the hardboard which is Duron. I have 24 x 36 on Duron (1/4) and it's fine. I have painted 30 x 30 on 1/8 inch Duron with no problems but that was oil and I do notice that acrylic gesso creates a lot more tension on boards than does all natural gesso (powder and hide glue).

You can use pva glue or acrylic medium and glue canvas to duron if you like the cavas touch and the stability of the hard support.

3chaway9
08-06-2005, 02:25 PM
Very nice Michelle.....great colour.