PDA

View Full Version : Questiion on Graham Acrylic's

aszurblue
08-05-2005, 11:33 AM
Hi All, I found some Graham acrylics on line for 50% off, but budget says I can only have 10:( What would be best 10 colours to buy first?? I am pretty new to the acrylics (6mo. or so). Have been using Dick Blick artist's and W/N galeria. While both are fine, I"m just not getting the colour I want in my paintings. :confused:

krystakaye
08-05-2005, 11:54 AM
I'm not sure what all that brand offers, but my favorites are:
TOP 13...I COULDN'T PICK JUST 10! Hope this helps though!!!
Titanium white,
Anthraquinone Blue
Burnt Sienna
Carbon Black
Yellow Ochre
Burnt Umber
Dioxazine Purple
Jenkins Green
Phthalo Blue (Green Shade
Primary Magenta
Primary Cyan
Primary Yellow
Quinacridone Crimson

Wayne Gaudon
08-05-2005, 01:44 PM
It's all preference but here is where I would spend.
Cad Yellow Light
Indian Yellow
Raw Sienna
Nap Red
Cad Red Dark
Quin Red
Ultramarine Blue
Quin Purple
Prussian Blue
Titanium White

With those you shoud be able to make up hues of anything you need.

timelady
08-05-2005, 02:41 PM
The first palette I worked in, recommended by my teacher:

ultramarine blue
cerulean blue
yellow ochre
cadmium yellow
cadmium orange
alizarin crimson (quin crimson)
cadmium red
titanium white
lemon yellow

:)
Tina.

krystakaye
08-05-2005, 02:43 PM
oops, forgot to say I use golden fluid paints....and those are my favorite colors in that brand. I am just starting so listen to the EXPERTS that will post!!!! :)

idylbrush
08-05-2005, 04:41 PM
You may wish to consider buying a red, blue, yellow in a warm side and the same colors in a cool side, add a white a black, an ochre and a umber or sienna.

Just a quick thought.

Baroque01
08-05-2005, 07:36 PM
I'm along the same thinking as what Hcowdrick recommended. Personally, I use around 6 or 7 tubes of paint and have no problem creating every color of the rainbow (except maybe neons). My palette is:

Diarylide Yellow
Lemon Yellow
Pyrolle Red (I'm pretty sure I mispelled that)
Phthalo Blue (Green Shade)
Phthalo Blue (Red Shade)
Titanium White
Burnt Umber

If I need a real earthy brown, I'll use burnt sienna instead of burnt umber. I use W&N Finity colors, but I think if you buy paint from any of the major artist lines of acrylics (Finity, Golden, Graham, etc.), you'll get good paint.

aszurblue
08-05-2005, 11:32 PM
Thank You Thank You everyone!! Seams like everyone agrees on the warms and cools.
Ahhhh Wayne, You woulden't have a mixing chart handy, would you? Just kidding! I am pretty good at mixing watercolours and pastels, but acrylics are more intense, but thats what I like about them. Again Thank You