PDA

View Full Version : Portrait of Bill

Lady Carol
08-04-2005, 10:53 PM
This is my cat Bill. My rather geriatric/diabetic cat. He came with us (and his brother Ben) when we moved from England to the United States. His brother died 3 years ago of leukemia. For those of you who are old enough (particularly British & Aussie, they were named after those famous flower pot men :D )

Bill truely does have this much fur. His mane is so long that when he cleans it he cannot get the fur out of his mouth. Generally I cut it so it is not so much of a problem for him. He also hoiks up fur balls every other day (I am sure you guys wanted me to share that :evil: ) This is his typical pose....a somewhat stunned look and mouth slightly opened.

16X20 inches on gallery wrapped canvas. C&C appreciated. Thanks for dropping by.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Aug-2005/11811-Bill-Final-small.JPG

Here is the original:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Aug-2005/11811-Bill-photo.JPG

praiseHisname40
08-04-2005, 11:04 PM
Hi Carol... This is definitely a keeper!!! Its like you could just reach out and touch this guy. You have really captured his personality in his eyes... Mind if I ask how long it took you to paint this guy? Once again this is absolutely beautiful!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Lady Carol
08-04-2005, 11:24 PM
Thank you Kaye. I am pretty happy with the result. I think it took me about 8-10 hrs. I started painting this Sunday.

damar
08-05-2005, 02:15 AM
:wave: Nice portrait!!! Especially the eyes.
Anything with that much fur to paint would scare me! Bill looks like a Maine Coon cat. The ruff, the wide, somewhat flat facial features, nice rounded ears (often with tufts)...I had a main coon cat years ago..yep.."hoiken-up"...good description! :)

krystakaye
08-05-2005, 03:58 AM
Wonderful! I agree with everyone...the eyes are fabulous!!! Nicely done!

suegercag
08-05-2005, 05:03 AM
I am a sucker for cats, got 2 myself, Bill is a little beauty. you've captured him perfectly! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dewi
08-05-2005, 05:31 AM
So adorable and good, very look alike Carol.

mooz49
08-05-2005, 06:24 AM
Aww he is so cute and your painting of him is beautiful ...... what gorgeous eyes! I remember Bill & Ben the Flowerpot men! :wave:

3chaway9
08-05-2005, 06:41 AM
Hi Carol........this is perfectly lovely....in every way...i had two cats...a long time ago and got lots of pics.of them... maybe i'll have a go at painting them myself...one was a Blue Persian and one a Lilac pointed Birman...they were both females and always at each others throats..there was fur flying every day...and fur balls to stand on...with my bare feet ...cold ....and yucky in the mornings....lol

Lady Carol
08-05-2005, 07:27 AM
damar: thanks for the kind comments. They were wild when I got them, I told people they are Maine Coons as that was the closest and best description I could come up with. He has the sweetest temperament now fortunately. Both nearly went back to the cat rescue place, they pee'd, bit, and scratched.

krysta: thanks for the nice comments. I am glad you like him.

sue: I am a definite cat person. Thank you for looking and the kind comments.

dewi: thank you too.

mooz49: Ha! It was a good show. When I had both of them and we found something unpleasant the question always was "Was it Bill or was it Ben?" Thank you for commenting.

Caroline: at one stage I wanted a Birman but I was in Australia and they are very hard to come by. Things on the floor are not a very nice surprise in the morning :eek: Thanks for looking and the lovely comments.

gnu
08-07-2005, 12:07 AM
okie dokies..first of all he's gorgeous, looks lovely natured! well done on the eyes and fur.. :clap: :cat:
the darker under fur patch bottom left to me is too dark in tone, and I wasn't even sure what it was at first, a shadow or another cat!. I feel you need to take the tone up to a brighter hue(much closer to the top layers) and also pull more fur lines down into this from the top layer..Make sense?
One way to complete the background a little more is to vary the tone in one area there..graduating from either the left across, or from the right corner(either one) across..or perhaps in another direction, but that would help finish it IMO...
can't wait to see him completed.
Gill

ExpressiveAngie
08-07-2005, 11:04 AM
I thought oh boy Carol has done a portrait....lol, didnt realize it was a cat portrait.
A most beautifully done cat portrait too! Wowzer!

Lady Carol
08-07-2005, 07:14 PM
Thanks to Gill I modified the background. I like it better this time. I did not change the ruff area as this really is Bill and his fur.

Here is the change
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Aug-2005/11811-Bill-Final-small.JPG

So what do you think now?

Thank you Angie. Sorry to disappoint that it wasn't a person.

3chaway9
08-07-2005, 07:48 PM
Hi Carol........i thought i commented on the latest...'Bill'....lost in space i guess...
lovely finish....gorgeous eyes.

Lady Carol
08-07-2005, 09:16 PM
Thanks Caroline.

Not to worry some of my comments have been lost recently.

Wayne Gaudon
08-07-2005, 09:44 PM
lovely colors .. (but I realy to hate cats) :D

Lady Carol
08-08-2005, 12:29 AM
Ah - a man of no taste...... :evil:

I am glad you like the colours at least......:D

Wayne Gaudon
08-08-2005, 07:39 AM
I have taste .. I like the top of the pet series .. DOGS :evil:
.. cats have only one thing going for them; they are pretty to look at but so are ornaments and you don't have to feed an ornament and it doesn't crap. :D

chaz
08-08-2005, 10:08 AM
I like this a lot. Very good representation of Bill. I like cats and dogs too. I have two dogs and a cat. I didn't care much for cats until we got Kat. Of course the cat thinks she's a dog, and acts like one, so I'm still not sure whether I like cats or not.

Bill looks like he's (or is it she) expecting something thats been a long time coming. Like is it here yet?

Lady Carol
08-08-2005, 11:12 AM
Of course the cat thinks she's a dog, and acts like one, so I'm still not sure whether I like cats or not.

Bill thinks he is a dog too. He will sit on his hind legs and beg. I get pawed/tapped if he is not getting enough attention. He waits by the back door for me to arrive home from about 5:30 onwards. He understands the words: Do you want your dinner?, No!, Do you want to go out?, Bill! Brush? I am sure they are all due to certain inflections on the words. But hey, it does entertain me.

Thanks for looking and the comments chaz.

gnu
08-08-2005, 04:38 PM
fair enough comment on the ruff, but do you see how there are little wisps of fur coming into that area from the lighter fur, I still think it needs some of that..
That background is sooo much better, not just flat now..I do love how it tones in with the eyes..you did plan that well, didn't you ? :D

bistus
08-08-2005, 08:52 PM
Nice work on the fur - especially around the ears. The eyes are very well done also. :clap:

Sharrm
08-08-2005, 09:41 PM
Carol, first of all I have to say this is a beautiful painting, the eyes are wonderful, and the fur on the face and the ears so life like.
But I have to say, that I am seeing the same thing with the ruff as I think Gill is. Its not that the fur is too thick, or long, it's that there needs to be more wispy, fuffy, fur graduating to the end of the ruff, it looks like it ends too abruply now. Just needs to be done more like you did the ears and the brows, and you will have a 10 plus here :D But, as you know that's just my humble opinion. :wave:
Cheers

Lady Carol
08-08-2005, 11:46 PM
fair enough comment on the ruff, but do you see how there are little wisps of fur coming into that area from the lighter fur, I still think it needs some of that..
That background is sooo much better, not just flat now..I do love how it tones in with the eyes..you did plan that well, didn't you ? :D

Gill and Sharrm: Fair enough. I see what you mean. I guess I need this.... :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2005/11811-Whip_It.jpg
and although my focus was on the face, I should really strive for better detail on the ruff and neck area.

bistus: thanks for the comments. :wave:

Kerch
08-09-2005, 12:53 AM
Great painting! My drawing teacher said it was too hard to paint fur, but you sure have proved him wrong! Like everyone else, I love the eyes.
We also have a cat, Chester, that we think is part Maine coon cat. He is mainly shades of grey, and quite large. He thinks he's a dog.

Sharrm
08-09-2005, 01:18 AM
Ok Carol......Explain Please..... :cat: What's with the Boots and the Riding Crop???? and quote "I guess I need this.... " :D end quote
my crazy mind went to: " Is she Trying to tell me she needs a Spanking???" ROFL :clap: :clap: :wave:

ottwork
08-09-2005, 09:49 AM
Carol, Bill is just beautiful! You've really captured a personality in that painting. The eyes are just fantastic!

Faded
08-09-2005, 04:38 PM
Great work Carol :) The eyes are fantastic, and the fur is very realistic.
-David

Lady Carol
08-09-2005, 07:17 PM
Ok Carol......Explain Please..... :cat: What's with the Boots and the Riding Crop???? and quote "I guess I need this.... " :D end quote
my crazy mind went to: " Is she Trying to tell me she needs a Spanking???" ROFL :clap: :clap: :wave:
ROFLMAO!!!!!!!

No I need to get cracking and remotivated on this.

Lady Carol
08-09-2005, 07:18 PM
Diahn: thanks

David: thanks too.

maverick
08-09-2005, 08:03 PM
You've captured the softness of the fur. I kept thinking "pastel" when I looked at this.

Lady Carol
08-09-2005, 10:01 PM
Pastel!!!! What are those? LOL!!!!! :D Thanks for the comments.