PDA

View Full Version : First painting-help my clouds-please!!

donw.
08-04-2005, 02:14 PM
Hi all, first post and first Acrylic. I like the way it's turning out, but the clouds just bug me. Any help would be appreciated. Maybe it's the shape? Lack of much sky showing through? For reference, I am planning on painting in some rocks and small plants in the snow, and then an elk - all black (shadowy grey.) Any other comments are welcomed.
Thanks,
Don
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Aug-2005/65990-pict0024.jpg

donw.
08-04-2005, 02:47 PM
One more thing, it's on a 36"x48" gallery-wrap canvas, with more white showing at the bottom (I cut off some when I took the photo.) I am trying for a surreal feel - thinking of calling it hunter's dream.;)

Lee_The_Astonishing
08-04-2005, 07:19 PM
Hi.

try adding a few more ragged bits of cloud to it to make it a little less even, and since it is a sunset/sunrise, maybe add a few highlights at the bottom of the clouds..

:evil: Lee :evil:

praiseHisname40
08-04-2005, 07:36 PM
Hi donw... Welcome to WC we are glad to have you with us. You have got a nice start on this piece. I think Lee has the right idea. This looks like its going to be great . Keep us posted would love to see and update.

donw.
08-04-2005, 07:48 PM
Thanks Lee and praiseH. That's kind of what I was thinking. I have some highlight of orange at the bottom. Do you think it needs more orange, or maybe some yellow/white?

Lee_The_Astonishing
08-04-2005, 08:21 PM
Hi, I'd use orange and yellowy - white bits. Brighter highlighting on the bottom clouds. Both these images are clouds from the same painting.

:evil: Lee :evil:

Lady Carol
08-04-2005, 08:28 PM
Clouds have soft whispy edges as they are made of water vapour. A dry brush works well to get the effect.

One other thing, your mountains are very symmetrical. Is that planned?

donw.
08-04-2005, 08:39 PM
Thanks Lee and Lady C. That's what I'll try.

donw.
08-04-2005, 08:42 PM
Lady Carol, I did intend for them to be somewhat symetrical, as I'm trying for surreal.

Radical Eel
08-05-2005, 10:41 AM
One other thing...I think the blue of the sky is too much all the same color. If it were my painting, I'd add a few wisps of cloud color coming out from the clouds mixed in with that blue somewhere to make everything look more vapory. (Cloud fingers!) That would be an easy way to make the clouds "less even" as Lee said.

donw.
08-05-2005, 11:25 AM
Radical, thanks. I think I know what you all mean, but I'm trying to figure out how to fix it now. I could add some cloud fingers (up above?) but what should I do in the clouds that are already a little too opaque? Paint over with opaque sky color and then redo? Add some opaque sky color dry brush marks and then more cloud dry brushing? Try a sky-color translucent wash over them and then add more dry brush dabs? Leave it alone and just add more dry brush strokes above and below? My first acrylic, and the "fixing things" is the hardest part. I've thought about starting the whole sky over. ??

tremblad
08-05-2005, 12:34 PM
I'm not a pro but for me, the fact the the cloud is right in the middle of both montains disturb me. It may be correct this way however since you are looking for symmetrical things.

I like your trees row in front of the montains.

donw.
08-05-2005, 01:51 PM
Thanks, Tremblad. Yea, that bugs me a little, too. I did a "pre-painting" on an old board I had and the cloud came out a lot better than the "real" one:mad: I think part of it is that the center cloud goes down from the line of clouds, but should go up from the horizen. What do you think? I've thought about painting out the botom half of the cloud then following the above suggestions for more dry-brushed cloud above the existing ones.

Lee_The_Astonishing
08-05-2005, 06:38 PM
try bringing some of your sky colour onto the mass of clouds to break it up a little, this will vary the density of the cloud a bit as well. I did this with the airbrush tool on imageforge, although I'm not too good at digital art....!

donw.
08-07-2005, 08:42 PM
Thanks again, Lee. That's what I needed!