PDA

View Full Version : New quick painting "making love"

muz
08-04-2005, 10:08 AM
Hi all,

This painting has a tiny bit of oil in the tails of it but is mostly watercolour... I chose to add a touch of oil to parts of it in the hope that the paper would eventually decay and that the process will have evolved within me by that stage. I will probably not post this series here, but rather in the ab/con forum as I think that fit better there. Just wanted to let you know what theme I'm working on at the moment.

The act of creating fantasy creatures to symbolise what is going on inside of me is proving very effective.

To explain this painting, I guess I have to share something about myself. Over the past few years I have had to deal with issues of intimacy and sex in a relationship and how the two fit together. My life has been riddled with questions of whether monogamy is truly possible in a relationship or whether any intimate relationship that tries to live itself out monogamously will automatically end up in feelings of entrapment and betrayal. I know now that I am not designed for a sexually open relationship even though I don't believe that monogamy is a realistic option. So this painting, called "making love" depicts very strongly my desire to just let go and to regard sex as sex and separate from love as love - as hard as this may seem, and regardless of how much turmoil this has caused me...

I hope that I haven't shared too much, or is that even at all possible?

Thanks for thinking about it.
Muz

Watercolour and a hint of oil on paper 24cm x 34cm

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Aug-2005/59821-Making_Love.jpg

This is a closeup of the male

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Aug-2005/59821-Closeup_Male.JPG

This is a closeup of the female

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Aug-2005/59821-Closeup_Female.jpg

rroberts
08-04-2005, 10:35 AM
Golly, Muz ... what an open person you are for sharing issues that trouble a lot of people. I can certainly sympathize, but doubt that anything more I might have to say is within the parameters of a forum about oil painting. The funny thing is that we, as artists, frequently deal with both personal and societal issues, and these issues inform our output and are in fact among the reasons we make art.

With this painting, you are taking a step beyond still life, which for the most part is usually noncommital.

I like this painting. It stands well on its own without any explanation. The two shapes are like syncronous dancers, have an organic sensibility, and their placement on the canvas is lyrical.

dcorc
08-04-2005, 10:55 AM
Hi Muz - intriguing, but I think this one is actually a better fit in the "Mixed Media" forum than in Oils (or Watercolour, for that matter), so I'll move it there, but leave a pointer so that members in Oils can follow through to it too :).

Given the "adult" nature of your thoughts expressed here, I'll also put the "butt" icon on the thread. :)

Dave

muz
08-04-2005, 11:46 AM
Thanks Robert... You have followed most of my threads and know full well how open I am. :) I believe in full expression and am strongly against the idea of political correctness.. i'm glad you see what I'm saying and why I painted it. And i'm glad you like it.

Hi Dave.. No problem. Upsetting sensitive people isn't worth it in this forum. It just leads to heated arguments that have nothing to do with painting. :)

Mary Woodul
08-04-2005, 12:11 PM
Hi Muz, I guess be anyone can be as outspoken as they want in art or symbolicly expressive also. I this case we are dealing with art and mixed media. I like your design and palette over what I see like a a very light green that works very well as a whole. Your work is good Muz!

dcorc
08-04-2005, 12:16 PM
I'm intrigued by the design, here - the way that it echoes the ying-yang, but that the heads are actually turned away from each other, while the structures symbolising sexual contact bend substantially to find each other.

(Hi Mary :wave: )

Dave

Mary Woodul
08-04-2005, 12:21 PM
Hi Dave, yes I also find it intriguing and artistically appealing at the same time.

muz
08-04-2005, 12:36 PM
Thanks Mary. I never thought of posting here. I spend most of my time in the Ab/con forum. The thread was moved because there is oil and watercolour in the painting... Thanks for looking and for commenting

Mary Woodul
08-04-2005, 12:42 PM
You are welcome to Mixed Media, Muz, and anytime you have a mixed media piece please post it here.

Jakeally
08-04-2005, 01:36 PM
Absolutely ... Thank you for sharing this muz.
I can't help with your mental torment but can empathise with what you are going through. We all have our demons and I think you have expressed yours so well.
This is a really well composed piece with a lot of feeling and I hope you feel better for doing it :)

muz
08-04-2005, 02:19 PM
Thanks again Dave and Mary. Nice that you appreciate what went into this little piece.

Chris - thanks for your interest and thanks for the compliment. I must say, though, that it's very much a demon that intrigued me whilst I was in the middle of it. I learned a lot and at least I know what I can offer and what I can't. And I've moved on. So actually i'm really feeling great - another issue that I can paint about... :)

Jakeally
08-04-2005, 03:23 PM
Lol ..... aren't all demons of the moment. So glad you have come to terms with yours. I am glad you have moved on and really look forward to seeing more of your wonderful artwork :wave:

muz
08-04-2005, 03:28 PM
You might have to bop around in the ab/con forum then. I very seldom work in mixed media. I work mostly in oil and occasionally in watercolour.. but this forum seems really friendly and encouraging.. I'm going to have to do a little browse to see some of your work too...

Jakeally
08-04-2005, 03:37 PM
Hehehehe... well everything I have ever done is on WetCanvas! somewhere. Since becoming a Moderator I haven't had the time to explore as much as I would like..... and to be honest the Ab/Con forum scares me to bits :D
I am so glad you decided to join us in Mixed Media :D

pampe
08-04-2005, 03:50 PM
like it everywhere I see it, Muz

Pam

muz
08-04-2005, 04:27 PM
HA HA Pam.. Are you following me around? I'll have to get a warrant against stalking behaviour here :) No really, thanks a lot for your posts.

Chris, the ab/con people are harmless. Some of them are a tad warped, but really gentle. I think I'm going to make a point of working with mixed media just so that I can have an excuse to hang around here a bit more. I can already say that I'm working on a rather large oil painting that is going to have fabulous embroidered elements on it... can't wait to get it done. That's mixed media, so I'll be sure to post it here.

cheers, I'm off to bed. It's late in Germany
Muz

Mary Woodul
08-04-2005, 04:56 PM
I will definitely be looking forward to seeing that one here, muz. :D