PDA

View Full Version : Special For Lady Carol

Wayne Gaudon
08-03-2005, 10:45 PM
I did this alla prima but I will show you how I did it. I took the image from the thread catching a few last rays and decided to make another of my mug series using it as a reference. So Carol, here we go.
First I start with a blank canvas .. just in case you thought I started out with a printout LOL and then I squeeze out colors (dix purple, quin violet, prussian blue, indian yellow, cad yellow light, perm green, olive green, titan white) I will use and mix a little of something to draw with. Usually a light shade of the dominant or in that family anyway and sometimes I use the opposite of the dominant.

Then I mark off my mug area .. one line down the middle and two equal sides. I do a quick cartoon line sketch for placement. This is done by eye as I'm not measuring (like I should). I just look and approximate. Matter of fact, the mug and flowers I am making up as I go. I am using the window from the former painting. I'm also reversing the image (mirro image on PC).

I then mix up a light shade of the color I am going to start with. In this case it's going to be the glass reflections on the window.
I'll pick this up tomorrow. :evil:

Lady Carol
08-04-2005, 12:12 AM
Wayne: you are a tease :eek:

Thanks for taking my comments to heart. I will be sure to check back tomorrow....

Will I be able to sleep tonight?

Lulu
08-04-2005, 02:00 AM
will any of us be able to sleep;)

Dewi
08-04-2005, 02:16 AM
Will be watching too, always wonder how do you paint: so good and so fast, thanks Wayne.

krystakaye
08-04-2005, 05:19 AM
GOSH, I've been waiting and waiting...WHEW...I'm going to bed... I'll check back tomorrow! heehee... Can't wait to see more Wayne!!! Krysta

Wayne Gaudon
08-04-2005, 05:56 AM
I then just quickly wash in the window and while washing in the window I mix in a few of the colors I want to see. I am working a purple and green main color scheme so I'm using both in the window but more green than purple. It's a real quick wash in and I don't even care if I cover over all the support. IE.. those dreaded white spots of canvas showing through. I don't care at this point. I also make a note of working some of the color into the mug. Again, I don't care about percision of flow. It's a quick mop and glow. LOL

What I do care about is how this wash will affect the other items and that being the flower. As it will be the center of attraction and it will be yellow, I surround that flower area with tints of purple. That will make the yellow show off more. As you can see I splatted in some yellow wash over the flowers as well.

Then I am on to the darks. I mix a good dark using quin violet, purple, blue, green, but remembering to leave quin violet as the dominant. By adding colors togeather I can get a great dark and more opaque. When I mix I just figure what I want and I add till I get there. If you are not sure it's best to mix a small amount before you try to make a big puddle.

If you want a straight edge you use some sort of straight stick and hole it off the canvas. You can then pull your brush (handle on the edge of the stick) and get a real decent straight line. Of course the lighter the touch the straighter the line and you can't be lean on the paint. It must flow. I'm not after perfection but I want it to look like a window edge. LOL

Again, as I lay in my darks I keep working that mug. As you can see I work around the painting, not really finishing anything but touching everything.

In hind sight I should have put in the proper value for the flower. The reason for that is simple. I put all the darks in and then the yellow. As we know, each color added changes how we perceive the other colors so when I put in the pure yellows, my darks around the shadow area of the sill were too dark and I had to change them. I could have saved myself time and effort by applying a good size of the proper value in the flower before I added the shadows. (knocking myself in the head so I will remember for future).

Oh well, it's 4:55 am and I am off to work. I will add more when I get home this afternoon.

BTW .. thanks for looking and I do hope you find it interesting. sorry about the quality of the pics but I did this with brush in one hand and camera in the other. :D

Bertoni
08-04-2005, 07:51 AM
Wayne:
Good to see your ways of putting the paint down!!! Awaiting the finish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lady Carol
08-04-2005, 08:51 AM
Fascinating, thoroughly fascinating. Already it is cohesive and it is a long way from being finished.

decoratorgirl
08-04-2005, 09:52 AM
Can't wait to see more!!! Can you share what's in the 2 jars- one is water obviously- couldn't tell if the other is water or something else.
Thanks so much for sharing!!

Wayne Gaudon
08-04-2005, 10:35 AM
I'm open to any and all questions.

Carol .. what do you mean a long way from finished. Don't you like the raw appeal. LOL
PS .. I don't do all paintings in the same manner. Some are more direct than others but this is how I did this particular piece. I will in class try to do one that is just plain direct: see it, find the color, lay it down, leave it alone.

Decor .. one is a spray bottle .. clean water .. and the other is just the jar I use to clean my brush .. I'm one of those dirty brush painters .. up to this point I've used only two brushes and that because of size, not color.

When I want to apply a little water to the color I use it from the spray. I spay heavy in some clean spot and move my paint mixture over to it.

Surprised no one questioned the palette. Glass over 4 different values of gray. :D .. Sometimes if I want to keep to 3 or 4 values I can mix over the value area of the palette and keep my colors in the values dictated. I made 10 value boards and I can use different arrangements depending on how I want to play. Almost like musical scales or chords if you will. C F G in chords can play a song in harmony and 3,5,7 in values can make an interesting harmony as well.

Lady Carol
08-04-2005, 11:02 AM
LOL!!! No raw does not appeal much, but looking forward to the finale.

It is an interesting palette. I didn't notice the different values of grey beneath. I just assumed that the palette was dirty :evil:

Wayne Gaudon
08-04-2005, 11:07 AM
I just assumed that the palette was dirty :evil:

:D.. tell me again, why I like you :D

decoratorgirl
08-04-2005, 11:36 AM
Yea- I just "saw" the grays on the pallette for the first time as well. Very cool. Great idea!!!!

decoratorgirl
08-04-2005, 12:35 PM
can't wait for the next step!!!

Lady Carol
08-04-2005, 01:59 PM
:D.. tell me again, why I like you :D

I'm cute :p LOL!!!!!!!

Wayne Gaudon
08-04-2005, 03:50 PM
cute = sly like a fox
cute = smarta$$
cute = nice to look at
I'll give you all 3

Ok. So we roughed in the darks. Next I go back to the window panes. Remember how I just washed them in without a care in the world. Ok so now I go back to them and instead of just washing over I wash over all the areas of canvas (board) that didn't get any color last time. I am not just filling in the cracks as again I am making big bold washes of color over color. What I am doing is changing my color a little but staying within the same value range.
That done, it's time to add the light parts to the window frame. We roughed in the darks but each piece has two sides a light and a dark. So I mix up some light window color and using my ruler and brush I add the lines above and to the side of the frame pieces. Now they start to look like a frame and not just a block of dark color. As well as adding the light to where needed i add some reflected color into the darks .. Ie.. red purples agains the darker colors, blue shadows .. most of this is done by just dragging a brush over an area and leaving bits and pieces but sometimes a full stroke is needed.
Again I add some color to the vase to show the light source.

Now I'm getting ready to use my 3rd brush. I want a nice clean brush to add my yellow as it's going to be my focal. I do this in 3 parts. The part getting most light (toward the top) gets a couple of strokes of pure cad yellow light, then I move down the flower to about 3/4 of the way down and with some darker more shadowed yellow (cad and indian with a touch of purple) I stroke upward into the cad yellow. I don't just meet it I paint into it. Then with even darker I go to the bottom of the flower and pull up into the middle values. Good enough for me to see what is happening. I do the top flower but I tain the yellows down with purples or whatevers because both flowers do not share the same light and will not be the same color yellow even though they are identical in color under the same light.
From there I work the greens and of course all the while I am working the mug. The mug is my whipping boy.
I then work the window sill that the mug is sitting on. I try to do this with the minimum of strokes because this is where the belief in the painting comes from (to me). It's in the light and values.
So here we have arrived at what I think is dang near done. Only thing left is to add a few highlites and or whatevers.
to do this I clear a good spot on my palette so I can have some real clean highlite paint to work with.
Ok, let's finish this sucker off. Well, in a bit. I need to go make myself a tea. All this typing is killing me.

krystakaye
08-04-2005, 04:24 PM
VERY INTERESTING WAYNE....STILL TAKING NOTES HERE....Krysta

Wayne Gaudon
08-04-2005, 05:11 PM
Ok .. here is the wrap up. It's tough to explain what I do but here is what I do. the first picture shows a very hard edge that I left unattended. It has to go so one of my final details is to correct that oversight. The second image is after I add some light remembering that if I add light somewhere it will occupy more than one space. The mug gets worked over again. LOL
The second image is what I call lost edge .. I don't need to see the edge to know it's there and it looks much more realistic than if the edge were there because in reality there are plenty of lost edges as well as multitudes of soft ones. When doing the final details sometimes you have to rework a passage. I wanted to fix the bottom of the mug shadows but when I was done the colors were all wrong so I had to rework the whole bottom over. It's not a big deal when you paint alla prima because your palette is still in front of you.
I added some highlites to the window frame and sill. I added some further color to the top flower and some highlites to the greens. Basically, wherever I feel there would be a nich light, I added one. As I made this thing up it was my decision where light fell. Hopefully, my memory of such things and my experience helped me make a few good decisions.
The third image is the highlite on the wood. As you can see it is a highlite on the wood but it is not as strong in intensity or value than the highlite on the mug. It is not the center of attention. That yellow flower is and hopefull all things lead to it (mug included). The two pictures of the flowers show some of the little highlites I added to them or simply just added some color to increase the volume of the thing.

Wayne Gaudon
08-04-2005, 05:12 PM
And here is Flowers In A Mug Version 6
It was fun, hope you enjoyed the playtime.
I can't get a real decent shot because of the contrast. If I get the window right the mug disappears and if I get the mug right the window lights up like a lightbulb so here is something in the middle. Enough for you to get the idea.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Aug-2005/5946-acr_mug6.jpg

decoratorgirl
08-04-2005, 06:26 PM
Do you use any medium, Wayne or just water?
Thanks
Leslie

Lady Carol
08-04-2005, 06:42 PM
Phew!!!

I bet you are please that this epic is finished. And what a stellar finish. It has been an interesting trip for me to learn about your approach to colour and painting. Thank you so much for taking the time to do this for me :D :clap::clap::clap:

In Australia the meaning for cute = interesting,......but ugly LOL!!!!

Wayne Gaudon
08-04-2005, 07:03 PM
thank you Leslie and Carol

Leslie .. no medium .. I have tried the more flow but didn't like it. I have used the gel on occassion but it's a pain in the butt as well.

Carol .. yes, all that typing. LOL .. but it was fun and as long as someone liked it then it was worth it. If there is more than one there is a few and with me three is a crowd so hey, I gotta move on cause I'm a loner at heart and crowds scare me.

krystakaye
08-04-2005, 10:42 PM
Wonderful Wayne! Thanks for taking the time to show us! MUCH APPRECIATED! Krysta

decoratorgirl
08-05-2005, 11:36 AM
Wayne, I meant to ask what type of paints do you use? Thanks so much for sharing.
So fun to "watch!"

Leslie Pz
08-05-2005, 12:50 PM
Great lighting, in this!

I am like you and don't really follow a "rule of thumb" when attacking a painting. BUT, I am finding that underpainting has helped me with the daunting task of starting the first couple layers. Nice having some of the work established (darks and lights, etc) when I am ready to apply the color.

Carol You're cute alright! As appendicitis! LOL! (Sorry,you owe me one, now! :evil: )
-Les

Wayne Gaudon
08-05-2005, 01:35 PM
thanks all

Decor .. up to now, I am using Graham but I bought some Golden today ..

3chaway9
08-05-2005, 03:40 PM
Very nice wayne.