PDA

View Full Version : Devon Scones Oozing Strawberry Jam & Clotted Cream

Hazel_S
08-02-2005, 06:54 PM
I'm happy to say I've finished the scones painting from the July 'what's on your easel thread'! :) As promised here is the end result...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Aug-2005/64263-2005-08-02_scones_wc.jpg

timelady
08-02-2005, 07:02 PM
mmmmm..... and best thread title EVER! :D

Tina.

k9artisan
08-03-2005, 07:42 AM
Wow! What a great painting! I really like your style too! Thanks so much for sharing it with us. Wow!
Amber

Nitsa
08-03-2005, 08:29 AM
YUM!!!!!!!! :clap:

Anita Murphy
08-03-2005, 09:14 AM
Delicious! Managed to have a cream tea when I was home in July - funny the things you miss!

Lady Carol
08-03-2005, 11:18 AM
What a scrumptious finish. The only cream teas I get these days are the ones I make. Shame the U.S. never really got into them.

BeeCeeEss
08-03-2005, 10:25 PM
Wonderful, Hazel. Makes me want to go out to the kitchen and whip up a batch of scones--even though it's nearly 9:30 at night here! Yum! I love scones and I find your painting of them a delight. As an ignorant American, however, I've always wondered what is clotted cream?

And, now that it's been mentioned here, what is a cream tea? Sounds good, too.

Beverly

Hazel_S
08-04-2005, 10:46 AM
I am so glad you like it - I have only a few paintings that I'm happy with and this is one of them ;)

Well I hope I have this correct... I think a cream tea just means scones with jam and clotted cream. You'd have it in the afternoon with tea (although I don't like tea it doesn't stop me!). There's Devon scones which don't have 'bits' in like the ones I painted and the other kind with sultanas.

Found this definition of clotted cream: "A thick cream made primarily in England by heating milk until a layer of cream forms on its surface that is then cooled and skimmed off. Also called Devonshire cream."

It's a traditional thing - Devon is a county in the SW of England, has lovely seaside places but you can eat them anywhere you like :p

It is luscious but not very healthy!

Wayne Gaudon
08-04-2005, 12:17 PM
Pop goes the world. Very nice and cheerful in color. Did you mean to turn it into a big mouth or was that a happy accidental?

BeeCeeEss
08-04-2005, 02:04 PM
I am so glad you like it - I have only a few paintings that I'm happy with and this is one of them ;)

Well I hope I have this correct... I think a cream tea just means scones with jam and clotted cream. You'd have it in the afternoon with tea (although I don't like tea it doesn't stop me!). There's Devon scones which don't have 'bits' in like the ones I painted and the other kind with sultanas.

Well, I was really off base then. I thought the cream tea was a beverage perhaps made with tea with frothy cream in it. Ha! ;)

Found this definition of clotted cream: "A thick cream made primarily in England by heating milk until a layer of cream forms on its surface that is then cooled and skimmed off. Also called Devonshire cream."

Good explaination. I've learned something new.

It is luscious but not very healthy!

Luscious indeed and ranks in the 'comfort food' category. I'm definitely inspired to make a fresh batch of scones. Thanks for sharing your painting with us all.

Beverly

BlueJackal
08-07-2005, 04:15 AM
Oooh! That looks delicious! Nice job

Hazel_S
08-09-2005, 11:07 AM
Hi everyone & thanks for the encouragement... I've not done very many paintings recently and you've all made a big difference to helping me put brush to canvas, I really appreciate it :D

I didn't see the smile in it Wayne until you said - that is a happy accident :)

I'm a bit stuck for motivation again so I'm going to look at the current 'what's on your easel'!