PDA

View Full Version : WIP Hudson's Bay re-enactment

ponting
08-01-2005, 10:49 PM
I have spent the weekend entertaining the public by painting in the gardens of the gallery in Ft. Langley. Too hot!! The choice of paintings was designed to coincide with this weekend’s annual celebration and re-enactment of the Hudson’s Bay fur traders arrival at the fort. It was put together from several photos that I had taken the previous day. This is right down my alley as I love history and I truly love detail. What I have done so far will take some refining once I get at it in my studio this week. Although it is not obvious in the drawing, these people are exiting a canoe. These fine fellows are about to make a “chair” to assist the lady out or perhaps one of them will just pick her up.

This is on La Carte and the dimensions will be approximately 16 x 21

Here is my initial drawing and although it is bad form... I may well cut most of the face off the fellow on the right....quite like it is in the photo so I didn't spent much time perfecting his features.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2005/34523-Kurt-drawing.jpg

These were my resource photos

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2005/34523-Kurt-and-plaid-combo.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2005/34523-Kurt-resource.jpg

Cheers, Dianna

khourianya
08-01-2005, 10:51 PM
ohhh I can just tell this one is going to be another stunner, Dianna! I'm pulling up a seat nice and close....:D

ponting
08-01-2005, 11:11 PM
Well hello Cori....nice to hear from you again. What did you think of your first encounter with an FCA show. Was the Art Fusion everything that you thought it would be? ....And.....are you getting ready to enter the next one?

Back to work. I started with just tracing the outlines so that I could work on the water which is my challenge for the day as I have never done water before......well not open water. I decided that I wanted only the tiniest little strip of land showning so that I would have a very bottom-heavy painting. Who cares about the land anyway. It only shows that this is a river ...not to be mistaken for an ocean with no land in sight :p The water was blended right across the page over people and all.

Once this part was more or less to my liking. I then 'dried off' the parties involved with an eraser and re-traced the rest of the drawing with a little more detail and proceeded to work on Kurt who by the way, is the real mayor of Ft. Langley re-enacting the arrival of some hoity-toitys to the Fort. It never hurts to draw the mayor!! :D

This is the extent of my weekends work. Hopefully I will have this finished this week.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2005/34523-Kurt-painting-step-l.jpg

Cheers, Dianna

chewie
08-01-2005, 11:26 PM
holy buckets lady, this is good. do you use black in the dress? and you say re-trace, how do you get it back in the right spot? (prolly a real dumb question, but oh well! i want to know!) you say you like details, great, i want every one!! as in, every detail on how you're doing each bit of this!! wow. i'm already stunned.

khourianya
08-01-2005, 11:40 PM
Art Fusion was great, Dianna. I am actually working on getting my stuff ready to apply for active status so that should keep me busy for the month. Our chapter is jurying for a couple of shows in the fall. so I am hoping I can get in on them. Doesn't hurt to try. I'm also going to mention to a couple of the "right people" that I think we should bring you in to Calgary for a workshop :)

That river looks amazing. I can hardly believe it is your first time doing open water! :o

I'll be back.

ponting
08-01-2005, 11:54 PM
Hi Chewie....nice to touch bases with you again also. Still going to get around to checking out some photos of you and that animal of yours. :)

For detailed paintings I always attach my drawing ....well let's back up here. I attach my paper to a piece of coreplast then attach the drawing to the board also by taping it across the top and then flipping it up and over the back ....then taping is again across the top on the bake side leaving it free to flip forward whenever I want to re-use it. I also add some register marks just in the event that it does come loose as it might have today in the hot sun.

My drawing stays attached all the way through the painting process and beyond. It stays on as a cover sheet until I am ready to frame it. I sometimes drag these unframed pieces around to the various classes I teach as sample paintings so they stand a chance of getting abused. If they should meet with a particularly devastating accident, I always have my drawing in place should I need to use it again.

In acrylic or oil I can do a lot of giving and taking with the medium in creating tiny noses and ears but in pastel on rough paper I prefer to get them registered right where I intend them to be without a lot of trial and error. So this method works great for me. It also works great for students because it frees them up to smudge about without fear of losing that drawing that they spent hours on.

I am lucky to have a photocopier so I usually make a copy of my drawing in sections so that I actually have it in front of me and can see my intended shadows etc. rather than having to flip the original drawing forward and backward just for viewing.

Cheers, Dianna :wave:

CindyW
08-02-2005, 12:11 AM
Dianna, I'll be gone for a good part of the week and I know when I get back online I'll be seeing a thrilling painting from you!! This is surely going to be a jaw dropper.
Can't wait!
Cindy

ponting
08-02-2005, 12:15 AM
Good for you Cori. Oh I remember when I went for Active. That was the first time I dipped my foot in the jury process. We had to take/send originals to the head office and wait for weeks to hear back. It was sooooo nerve wracking!! :eek: Much simpler now although they are in the process of changing the rules to make it fairer all around.

People applying by slide or digital have to send in 10 images and of the 10 a majority have to be of a standard that the juror/s think would have been accepted by a jury into a FCA gallery show.

Those being juried by a local juror had only to bring three originals and two of them had to meet said standards. So to make things fair all around they went to the 10 images for both entrants. This means also that fewer applicants slip in by showing their only two good paintings of a lifetime. The slipping in isn't bad but because they are now eligible to apply to enter the juried shows but are not yet really at that level, they are getting terribly discouraged by constantly being declined. The standards are very high because the FCA is essentially an art association of professional and striving-to-be professional artists. It certainly made me strive harder over the years but how great it feels when one finally gets there.

For anyone reading this, although it is called the Federation of Canadian Artists, it is open to anyone and we have members worldwide.

And thank you Cori for putting the in a good word regarding my coming up your way to teach. :cat:

Cheers, Di :wave:

DLJohnson
08-02-2005, 12:16 AM
Jaw dropper is right! I am just in awe and contemplated tossing all my pastels but will be brave and learn instead. Thank goodness for people like you that take the time to share.

Donna

khourianya
08-02-2005, 12:24 AM
It'll be my first time too...I attended a workshop with Gaye Adams, about a month ago, on the process and think I am ready to at least try for it...I have nothing to lose in trying...and everything to gain if I am accepted! :D

SweetBabyJ
08-02-2005, 12:25 AM
ah-ha! That's what you meant by attaching the drawing! I'll remember that.

Man, though, *groan* all that drawing! I really didn't like drafting class....

But, if this is how you get these results, I'm surely willing to give it a try. Just one question- what is the medium used to trace? Are you slipping carbon paper in there, or what?

*Marina*
08-02-2005, 03:14 AM
Looks beautiful so far. Very interested to see the progress.
Marina

Ruth Grinstead
08-02-2005, 03:40 AM
Hi Dianna

This is going to be beautiful, I shall be watching with interest.

Ruth

meowmeow
08-02-2005, 09:40 AM
It's such fun to watch your paintings emerge from the paper, Dianna! This looks like it will be another stunning piece of artwork!

Sandy

chewie
08-02-2005, 09:47 AM
thanks for the pointers on leaving the drawing. but, i need more! do you use black in those darkest areas? and, that drawing. wow. do you use a grid? its so perfect, i am in awe.

Rose Baggs
08-02-2005, 09:51 AM
I love your paintings and technique Dianna...I'll be watching this one carefully.Thanks for posting this wip.

Dark_Shades
08-02-2005, 12:49 PM
Shucks, no further updates :(

Its Wonderful already Dianna, and lovely to see you doing a different type of subject matter - will be stunning when finished am sure.....

Cant wait for further updates and info on your process

Bringer
08-02-2005, 02:55 PM
Hi,

As usual, it's an inspiration to look at your works.
I'll be anxious to see more progress of this work.
I would like to know if you've chosen La Carte for some reason.
I could almost bet that some of those characters are portuguese related :-)

Regards,

José

Merethe T
08-02-2005, 04:10 PM
Excellent work so far, I'm pulling up a chair aswell! Your wip's are the best, learn a lot from you! Thanks for doing this! :)

ponting
08-02-2005, 05:48 PM
Good Day

Thank you to all 12 of you for your wonderful comments….since I have gotten so far behind here, I will have to make it a group hug rather than an individual one.

For those of you that asked questions……..

José….I use La Carte because it gives me great results. I have tried other finer sanded papers and found that the tooth filled up too quickly. I have not yet tried Wallis but will do so soon…….I keep saying that but it really is difficult to take a chance on something new when you know that you are going to be happy with what you usually use….but I will….honest!

Julie…I use white transfer paper. Like carbon paper but white. It works even better on papers like Wallis and Art Spectrum because they are less rough. When using La Carte, once it is transferred, I must go over it with my white charcoal pencil and darken (lighten?) it. :rolleyes: You wouldn’t have to do this on the other papers.

I use white transfer paper because white is easier to cover than black. There are also yellow papers but the white comes in large sheets from various art stores.

For those of you using white pastel paper like Wallis, you do your tracing and then rub your fingers lightly with any mid toned pastel dust and rub this onto the surface of the pastel paper. The transfer material is a little tacky so it will pick up and darken the areas that have transferred. Now instead of white on white you can see the drawing emerge as you apply more dust with your fingers.

Chewie….I used a combination here to get this to paper. I have a brand new projector here that I was dying to try out so I projected the three main figures. I had worked with a projector a while back when staying with a friend and found they work well enough if you don’t ask too much of them. You have to keep it simple or it doesn’t save you any time at all. And it does not necessarily work well for composite works and they do lie!!

The mayor and the headless man where drawn onto separate pieces of vellum, traced and re-traced until I was happy with them. This is how if usually do my drawings. My husband made me a 2’ x 3’ tracing table in 1981 so it has seen a lot of use and rather than erase, I simply stack another piece of paper on top and shuffling it around to get the best parts of the initial drawing, re-trace them again. If one of my individual pieces seems out of proportion to the rest of the drawing, I resize it on my photocopier. So my studio is usually full of vellum pieces most of which I file away in the event I may want to use that person or object again somewhere down the line. So once the Mayor and Headless were looking good, I shifted them around the main drawing to where I thougth they might look good and did my final tracing onto cartridge paper.

As for a grid, I have used them and they are great……again, if you don’t lose sight of the fact that you still need to draw the whole rather than just use them to copy sections. Like a projector, they are not infallible. Someone made up and was selling a set of grids on Mylar. Great idea. So I made my own on paper and just photocopied them onto Mylar. For those that haven’t seen them they are the same grid done on an 8 x 10 sheet and various increments smaller until the smallest is about 2 x 3 or thereabouts. They are not only marked in squares but have a vertical line going corner to corner through the squares. You chose one to place over your photograph or drawing and make a corresponding grid in the size you wish your painting to be. For this I have used 18 x 24 sheets of graph paper with the ¼ inch markings. I drew out my girds with a fine felt tipped pen and then slipped them under my cartridge or vellum paper and drew away. This way you are not erasing grid marks and each one is reusable so eventually you one for every occasion.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask away…..I will get back the work now…..and Chewie I will send you some close-ups soon.

Cheers, Dianna :cat:

Mikki Petersen
08-02-2005, 07:12 PM
I've always thought it would be fun to create historical period paintings and here you are doing it...doing it masterfully...I'll just sit down right here and watch.

Thank you,
Mikki

Khadres
08-02-2005, 07:29 PM
The only time I tried transferring something, I used the white stuff on blue paper, then had one devil of a time COVERING the white! It seemed to repel the pastel as if it was oily or something. You've never had trouble with that? The stuff I have is called Saral, I think...

ponting
08-02-2005, 07:48 PM
The only time I tried transferring something, I used the white stuff on blue paper, then had one devil of a time COVERING the white! It seemed to repel the pastel as if it was oily or something. You've never had trouble with that? The stuff I have is called Saral, I think...

Hi Sooz

I believe I have heard you say this before. The yellow stuff is Saral and I have never used it only seen it used. I would think that some papers like a dark or mid Art Spectrum might take it too well so perhaps you might try it with a lighter touch. What brand of paper were you using?

The product I use in the large sheets doesn't have a name as it only comes in single sheets unpackaged. It definately has a tackiness to it as it does pick up the pastel when you rub a colour in as I suggested. Perhaps you could try toning it down by doing this before you begin to apply the real thing. If you still have the Saral, I would appreciate it if you tried it an got back to me to see if it was of any help.

Hello again Mikki.....yes the historical costumes really do call out don't they. There was a wonderful young fellow in a loincloth that I panted after all day just to get a great shot. :cat:

Cheers, Dianna

SweetBabyJ
08-02-2005, 09:59 PM
Dianna, the few times I've traced (I usually indicate roughly with vine charcoal and then wing it from there) I've covered the back of the reference with pastel, then traced, and it surely works. But!! No matter what colour or brand I've used to make my reference into "carbon paper" it does just as Sooz says- it seems to "repel" the pastel. In fact, I'd traced major areas of the tablecloth in this last one, and had a devil of a time covering the markings- and they were very light coloured. It was almost as if I'd dented the surface enough that it was like a rubbing- but I'd used quite a light touch, and couldn't "feel" any such "denting".

hmmmm... I wonder if your "re-establishing" of the drawing is taking care of any "denting"?

chewie
08-02-2005, 10:03 PM
wow dianna, that was a great answer! thank you very much! i can just SEE what you mean, and would like to try some of your working ways! when you say a trace table, is this a glass topped table with lights coming from underneath? i was a printer for several years, we used those alot, wish i had one at home now! we called them light-tables though. i will be watching this thread with great interest, and hey, anybody want some cookies? my daughter just made some, the best teacookies around!

ponting
08-02-2005, 11:31 PM
hey, anybody want some cookies? my daughter just made some, the best teacookies around!

Oh yes!! I will go for the cookies. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Aug-2005/34523-iwantcookies.gif Thanks Chewie

and I forgot the group hug I mentioned earlier. Here goes ...a hug for everyone
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Aug-2005/34523-grouphug.gif

Well then, for those of you having problems with the transfer paper, you will just have to stick with chalking the back of your drawing.

Once I have any pastel on my painting I revert to that method of re-establishing (is just love Julie's terminologies) my drawing because if I were to attempt to use my transfer paper, the pastel from the painting would instead pick up pastel. I only chalk small areas as I need them.

I didn't get much done today....just one little head fairly complete but I will photo what I did do and get it on here is a few minutes.

Cheers, Dianna

ponting
08-03-2005, 12:30 AM
I only had a couple of hours today so this is about an hour and a half's worth.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Aug-2005/34523-Kurt-step-2.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Aug-2005/34523-Kurt-first-voyegeur.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Aug-2005/34523-Kurt-and-hand.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Aug-2005/34523-Kurt-head.jpg

Cheers, Dianna

Trilby
08-03-2005, 12:51 AM
Your work is always amazing. You get the detail and the polish so quickly at the outset. Those little faces are complete portraits when you blow them up. I love how you use your photos as true references and not as precut patterns. It is always a treat to see one of your WIPs--so instructional, and so inspiring. If I have to bribe people into a workshop to get enough attendees I'm going to make one happen with you here:)
TJ

IndigoRed
08-03-2005, 03:45 AM
When i use transfer paper i always make sure that it says "GRAPHITE" on the box. This stuff erases just like pencil, but it does not transfer in a thick line that is hard to cover up. I tested this stuff against my method of using charcoal rubbing on the back of my drawings. ALOT easier, less mess, and the stuff will not disappear with the swipe of your hand lol. I only use charcoal if i need a more defined darker transfer as the graphite transfer paper is not that dark.

Dianna you are an inspiration. I always look for your postings, and cannot wait to see this finished. Will you also be posting it on your website when it is finished?

Stephanie

MelG
08-03-2005, 05:27 AM
Dianna,
I've already expressed my awe towards your trully exquisite work, so, not to get boring, I will only add that I am watching this thread with anticipation and the enthousiasm of a young student during the first day at school!
I find it interesting how artists using the same media, may work so differently, and yet achieving almost the same result. You, for example, choose to work on little of pieces of the painting, perfecting them, and then proceeding to the rest of the painting. Others, including me, choose to work in layers and slowly completing the whole painting. I am not exactly sure which method has the best outcome or why. It is probably a matter of preference I suppose (how quick one wants to be, how much patience one has etc).
So clear outlines and so precise. I am supposing you lightly wet your pastels as you draw?
I am also supposing that you use a variety of pastels. Since my experience is solely from Rembrandt, I am curious to know if there really is any big difference between labels of pastels.
It is a preveledge to be able to read your posts and see your work!
Thank you,
Melina.

ponting
08-03-2005, 08:06 AM
It is 4 am here and I have been answering PMs since 3....is this an obsession? No, I just couldn't sleep and it was either this or my 100th rerun of Pride and Prejudice.....not that WC or Mr. Darcy ever put me to sleep. :wink2:

TJ ...Thank you for your comments on my "mini" portraits, I hadn't previously thought of them as such. I realize that you mean only in the sense of their detail since it usually doesn't matter to me if they are true likenesses but I did try a little harder with the mayor as he is a friend of mine....and I can see Kurt in there.

Along the same line Mikayla......she is my granddaughter and watches my progress on WC.....his head is just a tad over 1 inch high without the hat....for you that would be not quite 3 cm. Love ya!! :wave:

Stephanie...good suggestion with the graphite. I obviously got the wrong thing years ago when working on a watercolor. Couldn't get rid of the stuff and watercolor floated on top of it. :eek: I thought I had gotten graphite so have never bought it again. And yes, I will post this to my website when its done.

Melina.....what a nice name...thank you for your enthusiasm. :)
My friend Joan Larson paints as you do......all over building it up. It works especially well for insuring that one uses the colour at hand in several more places in the painting...Just a few extra dabs hear and there while you have it in hand.

My method has always been to work from the top left to the bottom right as a matter of survival of the work. :D I used to paint at my desk so smudging was a problem and I would have had to lay a piece of paper over the pre-worked areas so I just developed this method naturally. Then when I moved to upright, there was the problem of not having a forward-tilting easel so the excess pastel just drifted down and clung to my paper (especially the sanded paper) in long lines of colour. NOT good!! :eek:

So now that I always paint upright on a forward-tilting easel with a mahl stick.....well...I still stick to this method and I teach it as I find that it works best for students. Perhaps if I went back to your method it would help with my landscapes because come to think of it......hmmm.....I used to paint them that way and it was very freeing.....food for thought!! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Aug-2005/34523-thinking3.gif

And in answer to your question......NO I definitely don't wet my pastels. La Carte paper does NOT like water. :eek:

Rembrandt is the one pastel that I have very little of....they have wonderful mochas. I have full sets of Holbein and NuPastel, select sets of Schmincke, Unison, Sennelier and last but definitely not least Terry Ludwig’s......love Terry's pastels. They are like a gritty Schmincke (now that sounds like a real oxymoron) but in square shapes which I like. This piece has a lot of pencil work in the faces but some Unison also. My favorite pencils are Carb Othellos though I do have Derwent, Conte and Pitt.

I am to bed now for a short nap........Cheers and thanks for your interest, Dianna :cat:

Alachua Artist
08-03-2005, 10:45 AM
Holymoly, Dianna, this is almost freeky how the people seem to crawl right out of the paper! The detail you are able to achieve is shocking. Absolutely amazing work. I bow down to you in awe.

ponting
08-03-2005, 12:47 PM
Oh thank you Wendy. I have visited your web site and love your technique...so unusual and the work with the crows would have to be my favourite. But then I have a penchant for crows. I read your process page which gave me a greater understanding of how you develope this unique look. What an excellent addition to the site. I will check back time and again to see what is new.

Cheers, Dianna

khourianya
08-03-2005, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the extra close-ups, Dianna! This is amazing to watch!

Lynn Quinn
08-03-2005, 01:53 PM
Lovely work! I'll be watching this.

ponting
08-04-2005, 01:49 AM
Thank you Lynn and Cori for popping back in. :wave:

Not much to show for today.. so no posts tonight. I did want to return to the topic you brought up Melina regarding my method of spot painting as opposed to yours and others that build up the whole canvas in layers. While I was driving today I was questioning my reasoning as to why I still paint in sections when all the above mentioned hazards leading to smudging are not nearly so critical with my new equipment. :confused:

I tried to imagine how I would approach this painting in such a manner and all I could envision was problems that I don't have now. How the dickens would I build up the water and people together in layers without constantly losing edges. There must be a way if others do it and I know Joan's work is very crisp so its not as if it would have to be less detailed. Hmmmmmmm. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Aug-2005/34523-thinking.jpg Isn't it strange, I have painted side by side with her.....even jointly taught with her and never really noticed how she did it. Boy do I have tunnel vision :p Of course each of us continued to paint while the other talked and demonstrated. Hmmmmmm. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Aug-2005/34523-thinking3.gif Still thinking.....then it came to me!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thank goodness I thought of the reason lest I should have to change my MO. :D

I would be bored stiff using that method. It is a simple as that.

I love these types of paintings. This and others like 'The Picnic" are chalk full of little interesting areas....each one a challenge on its own. I actually slow down on these types of pieces because I don't want to get finished....I'm having way too much fun.

That is until I get to a large area of grass or something else monotonous....then I start to lose interest....real fast..... and find I can only work for 10 minutes max at a time and I have to push myself to get up there again. Scrubbing floors starts to look v-e-r-r-r y interesting when faced with what seems like acres of little green stickettes.

If I were to turn every picture into one big canvas going over and over the same areas countless times it would be like doing grass every single day and the fun would be gone in a flash.
My goodness I would have to work for a living! :eek: Whew!...Am I ever glad I solved that problem before it took hold. Now I can sleep. :cat:

Oidhche mhath…..Good night……..Dianna :wave:

MelG
08-04-2005, 04:58 AM
Hi Dianna!
That is exactly what I thought as well. For an artist like you who absolutely loves detail, painting in layers would make you miss on all the fun. Perhaps you could blend both methods though. Use spot painting for your beloved details and layer painting for big areas such as grass or water, backgrounds, etc.. I don't know if you can mix both, it is just an idea ;)
I am thinking that for some artists, spot painting acts sort of like a booster. You finish up a small area of the painting, probably a difficult one and seeing it, encourages you to finish up the rest. Come to think of it, it is like an appertizer! :D The more you eat, the more you want!
I like the way you thought this out and .. the big, dramatic conclusion of all the thinking! "I'd have to work for a living" hahaha! I am glad you don't have to do that and enjoy every bit of your wonderful art :) Rest well!
Cheers back!
Melina.

ponting
08-04-2005, 09:36 AM
Come to think of it, it is like an appetizer! :D The more you eat, the more you want!

Yeah...."an appetizer"...I'll have to remember to use that line the next time someone asks me why..........

:) Di

DLJohnson
08-04-2005, 12:02 PM
Hi, :wave: just checking in.

I am so inspired by this thread. The painting is just mesmerizing and I am using what I have learned here. Thank you again!

I managed to snap out of it long enough to VOTE.

Excellent.

Donna

chewie
08-04-2005, 12:32 PM
hmm, now i am thinking to try doing it your way dianna!! i go the layer-all-over way now, but what you said--i see a ton of that 'oh look, laundry, goodie!' when i have one of 'those' areas to do. and i DO the laundry, the dishes, and even clean walls, knowing in my head i am putting off painting. then i feel dumb cuz, gosh, aren't i an artist? aren't i suppose to love every second i get to paint? hmm. NOT when i have a big area to do, and in layers, you can't do another place til you get that one done, its a never ending situation!! and the loosing the edges, argh, that is a HUGE issue with me! some edges i want lost, but others i didn't, but they get lost anyhoo!

i used to scour the magazines and books, for the 'right way' to work. and the longer i work, the older i get (yikes!) i realize there is NO 'right' way, just many many ways that work right for the person doing it. you've certainly given me something to think about, and even try. maybe a combo of both would work, too. i loved how you explained it!!

ponting
08-04-2005, 03:10 PM
Hello Donna....nice to see you here and thank you chosing to cast a vote me this thread but even much more so for reminding me that I forget to use the voting buttons myself. I must now go back and find several sites that I visited lately and remedy that. Especially the masks and paper pastel!!

Chewie I love the way post.....such fun to read. We all need more chuckles in a day and you have supplied some for many of us. And you are right, we will all find out own way.

I must try and get some work done on this today. I am off to the hospital visiting a very frightened friend for several hours in the middle of every day and I can't seem to get into the swing of things when I get home.....this is just to let you know that I am not procrastinating here because I am enjoying this too darn much.. :D I will crack the whip tonight. :wink2:

Cheers, Dianna

funkie
08-04-2005, 08:20 PM
Great stuff as usual Dianne
I don't think you ever did answer someone's question about whether or not you used black in the dress. Did you?

Mags

ponting
08-05-2005, 01:15 AM
Thanks Mags for stopping by and for bringing that to my attention. I believe it might have been Chewie that asked about black....Yes definately I am not afraid of the ultimate dark and use it a lot but often blend something over it afterwards.

If you get the International Artist Magazine and have back issues. I have an article in issue # 38 called "Exploring Your Dark Side"

Well I got a little more done this evening.....perhaps just enough to keep you from going to sleep and enough to let me sleep. Finished the skirt, voyageur # 1 and started #2. Once I finish his upper body I will publish a close-up. Thanks for visiting and good night....Dianna :wave:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2005/34523-Kurt-step-3.jpg

Meisie
08-05-2005, 02:33 AM
Oh Wow! So glad to see another WIP.
Wonderful work as always!

Meisie

crumbedbrains
08-05-2005, 05:29 AM
Hey Dianna,
Great stuff here! . . . amazingly clean detail which I love!! Would love for you to leave a couple of small sections 1/4 done, then 1/2 done, then 3/4 done, then complete . . just so we can observe how you progress each section . . or am I wrong in that you basically get it down in one go? Am following in the background here :)
Cheers
Crumby

pjo
08-05-2005, 11:58 AM
Dianna-I'm of course a late comer in the process, but like the other in awe of your painting and in watching, hearing and learning how you work. Like Chewie, I've always been an all over layerer, and have had some frustration when I do want more detail or sharper edges, this has been a great learning experience for me. It is so interesting to hear how everyone paints. I look forward to seeing more of your beautiful painting.

ponting
08-05-2005, 01:50 PM
Good Morning everyone

Thanks you Meisie for dropping by and thanks for the tip on my other post. :wave:

Crumby……do love your work man……popped back in for a vote yesterday….looking great. We are at extreme opposites when it comes to paper…..you are ultra smooth and if I found anything coarser, it would have to cement yet we both do detail. :cat:

You would like to see one area done in increments…well now that would have been a good one for the last fellows face. When I get to something interesting, I will give it a go. The shirt part is pretty boring and the colour shifts from the ivory you can see on his shoulder to an off grey/white, a dash of pink mocha, ultramarine and rust will all be so soft that I doubt the camera will pick it up. I will try it however and see what I get……that is if I remember….stopping to take photos is usually a matter of “oops ….too late”. :(

PJ…good to see you here. Perhaps you could teach me a thing or two about landscapes while you are about. :wave:

Okay I am cracking the whip now http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2005/34523-crack_the_whip.gif …..staying home today to work.

Cheers, Dianna

Tich
08-12-2005, 11:19 AM
Okay I am cracking the whip now http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2005/34523-crack_the_whip.gif …..staying home today to work.

You must be working hard Diana since you haven't been back here. Look out for that little slave driver there. He will take all of the fun out of painting

Tich

scall0way
08-12-2005, 02:17 PM
I am just in awe and contemplated tossing all my pastels but will be brave and learn instead.

Gee, I know the feeling. Whenever I see gorgeous paintings like this I feel it's not even worth my while to *try*, but like you I'm trying to be brave and keep on learning. This is looking so stunning.

Kathryn Wilson
08-13-2005, 12:31 AM
It's good to see everyone is "rating" this thread - it is important to do that so that I can spot them and put them into the Pastel Library - not that I would miss this one, but it's a good reminder for other threads also. I've just gone through 108 pages of posts looking and reading threads to put into the Library.

Didn't mean to get off topic Dianna - just thought it was a good place to interject.

Your process is amazing and a pleasure to read your thoughts as you put the painting together.

ponting
08-13-2005, 12:56 AM
Hi Kat... :wave: I hadn't thought of how you go about putting things in the library and I certainly had never thought of you patiently reading through countless threads seeking out things. I thought your job was just to keep all of the threads straight....can't have tangled threads...just one big ball of......... yah well. :D Thanks for stopping by and you can chat on my thread anytime about anything.... :cat:

Cheers, Dianna

bnoonan
08-13-2005, 12:11 PM
Hi Dianna,

You know what's really great - is coming to check out a thread after the artist has done so much of the work and you feel like you are sitting there watching them. This is also a relief to watch because there is no way I'd have the patience to capture all those tiny faces with such a recognition and all those folds in the cloth - WOWWW.... the man with the hat is out of this world - but you know that! The woman is just most impressive with all the detail and the reflection on her dress. I guess that's what amazes me most is the sense of light that you really capture on each figure.

Keep it coming - i have time to check back and see what you are doing.

wow oh wow - but don't forget to get some sleep in between.

Barb

ponting
08-13-2005, 03:43 PM
Good almost afternoon.....

My little whip cracker has not gotten me very far Tich. My painting got derailed temporarily but should be back on track soon. I had done this before that happened but not time enough to sort it out for posting.

Donna and Debbie, don't you dare even joke about getting discouraged it only takes practice and ....perhaps you are born to be wild and free http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2005/34523-biker.gif rather than this structured :wink2:

Barb how nice to see you again :wave: ...yes the dress was fun. There was sort of a sheen to it so it gave me lots to work with.

So here goes with the latest update......For you Crumby... First the ivory on the shirt then the next shows a light grey over it and then I forgot to photo afer that so you have to imagine the utras and mochas. http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2005/34523-Slap_emoticon_V2.gif Wake up Diane and get with the program here!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2005/34523-shirt-underlay.jpg http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2005/34523-shirt-underlay-2.jpg

So this is what it looks like to date ....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2005/34523-Kurt-step-4.jpg

With a close up of the new boys on the boat......

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2005/34523-2-voyageurs.jpg

Then I got to work on some canoe detail. I am debating on whether or not to change it from the fiberglass-painted-to-look-like-birchbark canoe they were actually in to one with ribs and real birchbark. So I proceeded to figure on the curvature of the ribs as they move down the boat. The difficulty in this is that this is not your ordinary canoe but a very big voyageur canoe and I am not as familiar with the curvature verses depth ratio on one 0f these babies so I have to do a little research before I decide on the width and spacing of the ribs. Here is a little look at what I am working at for those of you not familiar with canoes. Ignore the wavy look to the gunwales. It is just my paper undulating .......any suggestions are most welcome.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/13-Aug-2005/34523-canoe-ribs.jpg

Cheers, Dianna

bnoonan
08-13-2005, 03:47 PM
Diana it LOOKs GREAT!!! I'm not an expert on canoes. Unfortunately the inside pattern seems a bit too "busy" for a natural canoe- I'd continue on some research.

Barb

funkie
08-14-2005, 12:54 AM
Ponting, I am going to have to see this one through. I think I recognize the guy in the red hat. Do you know who he is? Any chance we could see the other faces closer?
The canoe is looking good. If every second bar is a rib and the others spaces then I think you have it down pat. The spacing is not really any different from a regular canoe since they are all spaced for strength. I have seen some with wider ribs but narrow spaces. It all depends on the builder's preferences.
Mags

crumbedbrains
08-14-2005, 08:59 AM
Thanks for the progress pics Dianna . .looking fantastic . .but then, dd we ever expect anything else from you??? LOL Keep it going!!
Cheers
Crumby

meowmeow
08-14-2005, 09:05 AM
It's looking great, Dianna!

SAndy

ponting
08-14-2005, 01:44 PM
Hello Sandy, haven't heard from you in a while and a wave to you also Crumby. Thank you Barb and Mags for your canoe input. I am still in my research mode and have found mostly this type and size of rib. I did see on however that had wider ribs that were carved away at the and slimmed down at the ends. This wouldn't help solve my problem of 'too much information" with the added fussiness of the staves.

Now Mags, I don't know who this guy is but this photo was takend in Fort Langely at the Brigade Days which happen in August of every year.

I will include a close up of the faces, perhaps you wil recognize him although I wasn't going for a portrait here as forehead to chin is only an inch high

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2005/34523-voyageur-one.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/14-Aug-2005/34523-voyageur-two.jpg

Cheers, Dianna

ponting
08-23-2005, 04:52 PM
Okay.....I am back. I had to do another PR painting day at the gallery so I finally got the ribs done on the canoe except I keep altering them every time I go back to the easel. But here they are for now.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Aug-2005/34523-Canoe-ribs-done.jpg

Cheers, Dianna

Merethe T
08-23-2005, 05:18 PM
Wow,wow - amazing!! :clap: :clap: :clap: I keep staring at the foldes, they're, well.... perfect!!! Wonderful to follow this wip, learning a lot here! The canoe's looking great too - don't know much about them, but it sure is looking good in your painting!!

Btw - so happy to read your thoughts on your approach to a painting - I too finish one area at a time - cause I get bored if I don't get to see finished areas - and I figure if it's good enough for Ponting, then it sure is good enough for me! :D :D :D

Can't wait to see this finished!

ponting
08-23-2005, 05:49 PM
- and I figure if it's good enough for Ponting, then it sure is good enough for me! :D :D :D
What fun!! Thanks so much Merethe You have made my day http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Aug-2005/34523--roflbo_emoticon.gif

I should have some shots of the shirt soon.....just for Crumby

Cheers, Dianna

Fort Meyer
08-23-2005, 06:00 PM
I have spent the weekend entertaining the public by painting in the gardens of the gallery in Ft. Langley. Too hot!! The choice of paintings was designed to coincide with this weekend’s annual celebration and re-enactment of the Hudson’s Bay fur traders arrival at the fort. It was put together from several photos that I had taken the previous day. This is right down my alley as I love history and I truly love detail.I just found this, and will be watching I assure you. My husband and I were involved in the reinactment of the fur trade, 1830's era for many years. Have a lot of reference material as it applies to the West. If you have been to my site, you might remember the pencil portrait of my husband in his mountain man gear. Those were good times!

ponting
08-23-2005, 06:48 PM
Ah Judith, I was admiring the work on your web site just the other day but I hadn't seen these two. Thanks for bringing them to my attention. I usually don't miss anything to do with period pieces. And thank you for stopping by.

Cheers, Dianna

Fort Meyer
08-23-2005, 07:07 PM
Most apologetic for the double post. I thought the first one headed out into cyber space, so started the second! ::slapping forehead:: DUH!!

All gone - complements of the Mods.

ponting
08-24-2005, 12:04 AM
Well I have done that before.....so how did you get rid of the second one?

Di :confused:

Fort Meyer
08-24-2005, 02:58 AM

Di :confused:Ummm ... I didn't ... It just is gone! Then I noticed a little note under my apology that said; "All gone - complements of the Mods."

Thank you, thank you!!

This is an incredible thread. I'm enjoying every stroke.

valchina612
08-24-2005, 04:54 AM
Dianna, this is the first time I have caught up with this one. It is absolutely unbelievably awesome -- I can't get my jaw off the floor. You are totally amazing. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Val. :wave:

Kathryn Wilson
08-24-2005, 07:11 AM

Di :confused:

It was little ol' me that got rid of the second post - if you want to "Report" any problems, you click on the little red/white triangle in the upper right-hand corner of the message box, I can take out the double-posts.

ponting
08-24-2005, 11:44 AM
Well there you go Judith ......we learn something new every day!! Thanks Kat :clap: and hello Val....thank you for your jaw dropping comments. :p

Well I have got the play by play for Mr. Greenshirt. Three cheers for Diane remembering to do it!!! You may be able to notice that his face and hat change and alter subltly everytime I come near him. I still don't know if I am going to lop his head off yet so .....I play for now. He is starting to look like my son. Maybe I won't behead him. :wink2:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Aug-2005/34523-plaid-1.jpg

Here I blacked out the areas I didn't need to be concerned with put in my green squares with a pencil.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Aug-2005/34523-plaid-2.jpg

Now the dark blue areas with a Unison from their dark series. I also started working the folds with the addition of some lighter greens. The alternating squares between the blue and green were covered lightly with the green pencil blending it into a mix of the two colours.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Aug-2005/34523-plaid-3.jpg

Voila....a handless Mr. Greenshirt is done...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Aug-2005/34523-plaid-done.jpg

Cheers, Dianna

SweetBabyJ
08-24-2005, 11:50 AM
So how long does something like MrGreenshirt take you?

ponting
08-24-2005, 12:16 PM
So how long does something like MrGreenshirt take you?

There is a smart alec in every crowd. :D Just in case you are serious about this Julie......his shirt and pants took me a couple of hours......his face will probably take me 14 if I keep fooling around with it.....and then there is the bale that I will have to explunge from the equation if I decide to get greedy and keep him. Let's see.....that extra strip is about 2" by 13' @ $6.75 per sq.......he is getting pretty valuable!!!

Now why didn't you ask me something like...."What the devil is that flag attached to???? :D

Cheers, Dianna

SweetBabyJ
08-24-2005, 01:44 PM
Okay- "What the devil is that flag attached to??"

Wanted to know because right now, I'm working on a string of pearls; now see, you'd THINK, well, pearls- little round circles, a bit of shading, nothing difficult, right? WRONG!! I'm finding each one takes upwards of ten or fifteen minutes a piece! I'm beginning to consider shortening the damned thing. I'm just not used to taking so long to complete an area- it's driving me nuts. I'm thinking one of those magnifying light thingies that hang around your neck and some laproscopic tools might help.

And yes, I wondered about the flag way earlier, but figured it was one of those last-minute things you stick in and hide in the general darkness of an area. That's what I'd do, anyway.

*Marina*
08-24-2005, 01:50 PM
Really fascinated by the whole process. Such detail. Great.

pjo
08-24-2005, 09:57 PM
Dianna-I join the crowd gathered around watching this amazing work unfold. I'm thankful you go into such a detailed description along the way of what you do and how you do it. What a wonderful painting this is.

momof6
08-25-2005, 02:01 AM
Where have I been? How did I miss this until now?!!!

Quite a treat to read it through from the beginning to this stage! Even smart-alecked some of your answers for you :p (because I was paying attention in your workshop! :angel: ) but I'm learning so much more! :clap: :clap:

Dianna did you know the Canadian Horse shows (watch for last weekend in June in Maple Ridge) always has a heritage costume class? I'm not a great photographer but I still managed to get some decent shots of Les Habitants, fur traders, settlers, cavalrymen... oops, cavalrypersons (there was one woman) this year. Of course, they try to add funny stories to go with the costumes so it's a laugh too.

I'll keep watching this one. Congratulations on nailing your first open water! :D

ponting
08-25-2005, 02:02 PM
Okay- "What the devil is that flag attached to??"
I don't have the foggiest idea....it was just there but thanks for asking :p

Okay Julie.....tell me you haven't been posting this piece all along and I have been missing out here. I was hoping I would get an invite to a sneak preview
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Aug-2005/34523-emailinbottle.gif
.....I had just better check this out myself :cool:

pjo and Marina it is so nice when you and others drop in and let me know that the time and effort is worth it to so many.

Tracy.......MY GOSH!! and so close to home. I will be there with bells on next year if I am back from my UK tour. I just set the dates on my Ireland class is for the beginning of June so if this runs later I may be able to sneak back home in time. If not I guess there is always the next year. In the meantime I will see what I can find for info on the net. Thanks so very much.

Cheers, Di

Rose Baggs
08-25-2005, 02:41 PM
Your painting is looking great Dianna!!! Love the step-by-step of the green shirt! stunning!!!

maria_khurram
08-25-2005, 03:15 PM
Dianna, another WOW. I dont know what else can I say? I will watch your WIP with my whole interest.

Five stars for your thread.

ponting
08-25-2005, 03:37 PM
Quite a treat to read it through from the beginning to this stage! Even smart-alecked some of your answers for you :p (because I was paying attention in your workshop! :angel: )
I forgot to mention also that I just loved this line.....thank you for my chuckle of the day :clap:

Rose and Maria good to see you here, hear your comments and WOW..thanks for the rating.

Cheers, Dianna

Dyin
08-26-2005, 07:02 PM
Dianna, I'm not familiar with your work but certain members have been singing your praises (I didn't mention names, Julie...see?) Your work is everything I was told and then some. I love your contrast and you bring great character to your figures..wonderful!

SweetBabyJ
08-26-2005, 08:52 PM
ah-ha! See? This time my mouth didn't get me in trouble.... :D

ponting
08-27-2005, 02:41 AM
Did this discussion take place at a meeing of the Secret Silver Chord Society???

Hi Julie....unusual but true.....Sue. I just ripped open a magazine tonight and there there you were on the back cover.....most impressive!!! :D Thank you for allowing Julie to drag you over here..... :wave:

Cheers, Dianna

ponting
08-28-2005, 06:20 PM
Well I finished up now. I think??? You never know with me....It usually takes about a month of hanging on the wall unframed until I am sure. :D

Just a quicky of the birchbark stages if anyone is interested.....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2005/34523-Kurt-birchbark.jpg

Now you can give me suggestions on where to crop it. I normally paint far out past where I plan the edges to be. Especially with something curved like the canoe...it assures me that I am getting the overall look right. Often I decide to include some of these new-found areas. I was initially going to cut off Mr. Greenshirts face much like it is in the resource photo. I felt that left enough of him in the picture to keep the eye from wondering what the devil that 'mass' was. Because of the spacers under my mats being cut on a reversed 45 degrees, allowing the viewer to peek under the mat and see a little more painting...I needed his face completed anyway. In the end, I added pastel right to the edge of my paper and feasibly he could stay in now without being so close to the mat that one gets the sense of him running into a wall.

These last photos have come out quite dark and dismal so when the sun returns I will try to get one that better represents the overall colours. In the meantime........chop away..... Cheers, Dianna :cat:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2005/34523-Kurt-ready-to-crop.jpg

*Marina*
08-28-2005, 06:47 PM
Great. You do absolute wonders with those little crayons. Amazing. I have been playing around with the cropping. Not sure which I like best, with or without the strip of land at the back.

Fort Meyer
08-28-2005, 07:14 PM
Dianna, well, cropping away is risky business, and I wouldn't presume to suggest what you should do. With the exception to say, at this point, I wouldn't want to see the bow of the canoe be cropped off. However, I see some conflicting reality facts. They are helping the lady out of the canoe. But the green shirt guy in danger of losing his face throughout this WIP, really appears to be going forward to moor the canoe. (I'm sure he is just steadying it.) But the canoe proves this out with the little waves at its bow. They indicate the craft is moving forward. Helping the lady out should produce side to side rocking and waves. Also, while there is nothing to be done about it, I can't get past the illusion that the guys helping her out are standing in/on the water. Sorry.

Hmm ... However, the crop that Marina suggested, does stop forward motion.

Mostly when you look at this piece you are wowed by the color and the design and the story, and probably that won't bother anyone else but a detail freak. Please accept my opinion as just that, and not a negative thought on board. I so love your work.

~Judy~

ponting
08-28-2005, 07:50 PM
I can't get past the illusion that the guys helping her out are standing in/on the water
Good call there Judy. These guys are indeed standing in the water. I guess I was so used to that fact that I never thought others might not realize it. Yup they carried her out of there. No docking here...far too rocky.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Aug-2005/34523-Kurt-carry.jpg

Hmmm I kind of thought my little parallel waves were the side to side waves I imagined would be produced with this lovely lady leaping over thwarts. :p I will have to work on those.

As for keeping the bow....alas it will not happen. I need almost that much under my mat. :(

Marina I like both of your suggestions. I could even wipe out the land and make it water if I wanted a little more head space in that second crop. :cat:

Cheers, Dianna

Fort Meyer
08-28-2005, 08:26 PM
Hmmm I kind of thought my little parallel waves were the side to side waves I imagined would be produced with this lovely lady leaping over thwarts. :p I will have to work on those.

As for keeping the bow....alas it will not happen. I need almost that much under my mat. :(

Cheers, DiannaThe parallel waves could be side to side waves if they were in the location of the action, near the center of the canoe. Those at the bow, stopping a little back from the bow, make the canoe look like it is traveling forward.

Yes, I know about mats ... shame though. I too like Marina's crops, but prefer keeping the land if possible. Liked your original thought of keeping it from looking like open water instead of a river.

momof6
08-29-2005, 02:25 AM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Bravo!!! I vote for farshore in and as much bow as the matting will allow.

Beautiful work Dianna! Thanks for the WIP. I can't believe how quickly you completed it!

:wave:

Trilby
08-29-2005, 04:04 AM
We knew this would turn out splendidly but gotta say it anyway--what a gorgeous painting! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: The accuracy of detail that you have paid attention to, the impeccable painting technique and style, just all of it. I so appreciate it when you show us a step by step and share your thinking as you go along. I'm intriqued with your reverse cuts on the spacers; sounds like something to try.
Can you leave this much bow, Dianna?
TJ

Tich
08-29-2005, 12:13 PM
This makes me want to get out on the water and take up canoeing. You did a great job of turning this into a wooden canoe and it looks so much better than a white fiberglass one would have. If you did all of this from just research I am not amazed that your paintings turn out so well. Is a "thwart" really a part of a canoe or is that like calling it a "thingamajig" :p
I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to tell you how to crop it but it seems a shame to cut all of that work off by beheading Master Greenshirt. :( especially when it increased your value and with all of this work I would want to charge as much as I could.
Great job, great painting and great artist.
Ta Ta Tich

SweetBabyJ
08-29-2005, 12:37 PM
Brava!!!

I'm amazed at the dedication, Dianna- I just don't have that patience (well, nor ability- my hands are not trustworthy) but man! Do I ever admire it! Beautifully executed- a pleasure to watch unfold.

As for crop and framing, why not paint to the edge, float the work onto acid-free foam-core leaving a good 2 - 3" border, and frame with 1/2" spacers and not lose any of it at all?

Nancy Leone
08-29-2005, 01:37 PM
Another "Bravo"! Amazing. Thank you so much for taking the time to share your work progress with us. I just read all the way through the thread and (hopefully) learned much.

ponting
08-29-2005, 03:15 PM
Judy...a few more ripples won't take but a minute to put in and certainly won't hurt :p

Tracy... and TJ Thanks ladies and yes I could get by with that much bow left in :)

Tich :D ...that truly is a thwart or crossbrace and I really can't take credit for too much studious research except in the conversion to Voyager size. I was...in my youth ...a canoeing instructor.... Here was a shot taken my 600 sq. ft. house. This was taken in the kitchen/living room.... I was recanvasing my canoes when the weather changed.... You can see the priorities in my life. I eventually left the house and my husband but I took my kids and my canoes and not much else. :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2005/34523-Canoes-in-my-cabin.jpg

Thank you Nancy and Julie ....everyone is so supportive in this site. Julie...good idea with floating it....hmmm I am sure we could get some kind of pun working in there. :wink2:

Mr Mayor in the tophat truly is the Mayor of Ft. Langley where this event occured and it certainly doesn't hurt that his wife owns the gallery where I sell a good deal of my work. He is taken with his 'mini portrait' and is making noises about adding this painting to his new book. The first chapter deals with the fur trade in the area so it would fit right in. This is to be a sequel to his first book. The launch of "Ft. Langley 125" centered around an an exhibition and sale of the paintings featured in the book so I'd imagine when book to is complete this will again be the case. It is really good PR....now if I could only get the cover..... :rolleyes:

Cheers, Dianna

SweetBabyJ
08-29-2005, 03:24 PM
Of course, Dianna...

"Whatever floats your boat...."

:D

ponting
08-29-2005, 03:32 PM
:D :clap: :wave:

Fort Meyer
08-29-2005, 04:10 PM
The launch of "Ft. Langley 125" centered around an an exhibition and sale of the paintings featured in the book so I'd imagine when book to is complete this will again be the case. It is really good PR....now if I could only get the cover..... :rolleyes:

Cheers, DiannaAnother closer portrait of the Mayor might work!

ponting
08-29-2005, 05:33 PM
He is a pretty modest man Judy but I have lots of other alternatives. Actually the artwork on the first book took up the whole page and was a vertical format so I would surmise that he will make a matching mate. I think I would have to work along those lines to stand any chance at all :D
Cheers, Dianna

Fort Meyer
08-29-2005, 05:56 PM
He is a pretty modest man Judy but I have lots of other alternatives. Actually the artwork on the first book took up the whole page and was a vertical format so I would surmise that he will make a matching mate. I think I would have to work along those lines to stand any chance at all :D
Cheers, DiannaHere is where I get myself if trouble trying to be cute. My comment wasn't intended for you to take literally. You are an outstanding artist who has many outlets for the wonderful work you produce. You already accomplished your goal with this re-enactment piece. You satisfied your passion for history, which shows, and share with the local community which bolsters their pride.

While I appreciate your taking the time to "straighten things out" with me, it seems it is difficult for people to tell when I am being a smart-alec and when I am not. I think I should stop trying. :D :o

I hope you get the spot you deserve with your beautiful artwork.

ponting
08-29-2005, 06:12 PM
it seems it is difficult for people to tell when I am being a smart-alec and when I am not. I think I should stop trying. :D :o
Well now......that puts a whole new light on things.....Now I can can cuff you like I do Julie when she attempts to give me grief. :clap: :clap: :clap: :evil:

Cheers, Di :D

Fort Meyer
08-29-2005, 06:50 PM
Well now......that puts a whole new light on things.....Now I can can cuff you like I do Julie when she attempts to give me grief. :clap: :clap: :clap: :evil:

Cheers, Di :D::nods:: That would prolly be most appropriate! :D

SweetBabyJ
08-29-2005, 07:06 PM
ooooooooooooooooo!!!

she's getting out the cuffs....

NOW I'm impressed!

SweetBabyJ
08-29-2005, 07:07 PM
oooops! forgot these:

:D :evil: :angel: :D

Fort Meyer
08-29-2005, 07:10 PM
ooooooooooooooooo!!!

she's getting out the cuffs....

NOW I'm impressed!My bad! :( :angel:

ponting
08-29-2005, 07:32 PM
Hey, I'm the one putting a long painting to bed.....I am allowed to have the wine and let loose a little.....what's you guys excuse?? Cuffs?? :eek: Cuffs?? :eek: I wonder about you also...that was a little cuff up the side of the head Julie...get back on track here....you'll be giving Judy ideas. :rolleyes:

Now that that is settled. Ahem!!! I need a title here...nothing cliche.....be prepared for me to reject everything because I am really picky when it comes to titles.....well usually but I am running a blank here so I will stoop to asking the likes of you two but I would really like to hear from all of our honorable guests out there....the serious ones...with serious things to say. :D

Cheers, Dianna

SweetBabyJ
08-29-2005, 09:03 PM
cuffs... stoop... assisting out of boat... landing... Hudson's Bay...

I'm thinking! I'm thinking!!

"The Welcome at Hudson's Bay" works, probably a bit better than "He Stoops to Ferry", don't you think? :D Or perhaps "Lightly A-lighting?" "Lord and Lady a-Lighting?" "No Ma'am, We Aren't Criminals"? :D Okay- that last one's a bit esoteric, but how about, "Home to Hudson's Bay"?

Fort Meyer
08-29-2005, 10:56 PM
Beginning to sound like a pretty wild party to me!!

Since you have to stoop to the likes of us ... here are a few ...

"Fort Langley Chivalry"
"Fort Langley Hospitality"
I like Julie's "What ever floats your boat" :D
"High Society Moves West"
"I'd throw my coat down fer ya, but the water's too deep" :D
"Let me carry her, she smells so good" :D
"Supplies and Visitors"
"Here Li'l Missy, Let Me Take Your Hand" :D
"Hudson's Bay Shipping"

Julie's sound much better!

SweetBabyJ
08-29-2005, 11:21 PM
*choke*snort*giggle*cough*spit coffee*

HahaHahaha! No- really, I LIKE "Let Me Carry Her, She Smells So Good"- I can see that on a little brass plaque under the frame.

So whaddya think, Dianna?

ponting
08-30-2005, 12:06 AM
JULIE & JUDY http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2005/34523-Drinking_Friends.gif

DIANNA http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2005/34523-laught16.gif

SMARA
08-30-2005, 01:58 AM
Oh dear - giggle
i'm not sure if its your animations dianna or the other two making me giggle. What a picture. (hand claps.)
I quite like a couple they have suggested. Something slightly olde worlde I think would have to be right.
Aletta

Meisie
08-30-2005, 02:20 AM
With all them cuffing happening and me giggling this late at night when the rest of the household is trying to sleep.....I'm a feared as I'll get into trouble fer my title suggestion! :eek:
:music: Roll out the lady! Roll out a barrel of fun!!!:music:

I'm going, I'm going!

Meisie :o

Fort Meyer
08-30-2005, 10:30 AM
Succinct Dianna, succinct!

ponting
08-30-2005, 12:18 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2005/34523-sneaky_emoticon.gif

Have they gone yet?....Oh no! They have attracted like kinds.......

Fort Meyer
08-30-2005, 12:28 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2005/25467-SmileyLaughingCryingROTF.gif

khourianya
08-30-2005, 12:44 PM
rotflmao!!! :D You guys are outta control.

The painting came out beautifully, Dianna (of course we all knew it would)

ponting
08-30-2005, 01:00 PM
At last Cori!!! Someone I can talk to http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2005/34523-praying.gif

Thanks so much for stopping in and saving my sanity .....Cheers, Dianna :p

khourianya
08-30-2005, 01:13 PM
lol - anytime, Dianna. Anytime at all. :D

SweetBabyJ
08-30-2005, 01:24 PM
How quickly she forgets who taught her to use those little imported smileys here....

A-lighting at Fort Langley works, Dianna- and is better than The Mayor's Wife Flashing Dockworkers

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2005/9169-roll_eyes.gifhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2005/9169-thumbsup.gifhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2005/9169-toast.gif

Kathryn Wilson
08-30-2005, 03:31 PM
A wonderful finish Dianna! As to a crop, I feel the bow should be left in - with that curving back into the picture, it keeps the eye from coming out of the canoe.

My only contribution to a title is corny: East Meets West

Or is it North meets South. Whatever, it's not a sensational title, but it comes to mind. :)

ponting
08-30-2005, 04:34 PM
AND THE WINNER IS....

Alighting at Fort Langley

That works for me!! It has a name.....FINALLY!! :D Now don't you go expecting 1/3 royalties for that neither Julie .... :angel:

Kat that is a good point about the curve.....and it makes me so much more money....tee hee http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2005/34523-thumbsup.gif :D

Dark_Shades
08-30-2005, 04:49 PM
Words fail (so make the most of it lolol) :clap: :clap: :clap:
Stunning work Dianna, expect no less from you - beautiful job
(So what is the calendar date for England)

SweetBabyJ
08-30-2005, 05:44 PM
*blush*hands-to-cheeks*eyes-rounded*

"Oh! I just can't believe it! Thank you! Thank you All so much!! Oh- where's my sash and sceptre-"

What?

No sash? No sceptre?

I thought she said I get royalties?

Ohhhhh- royalTEES, not royalTIES. Well money'd be nice, but I was really looking forward to replacing this old tiara Sue gave me... What? No money either?!?

Well, (*channeling MissCongenialty here*) I suppose just the knowledge I helped a good friend is enough for me, especially when that friend has helped me, too.

*seriously now*

Dianna, you're more than welcomed to those few words, they are paltry compared to those you have given me in the past, and for which I owe you more than I can say. You know the work is exquisite, and if the Mayor doesn't recognize the invitation inherent in placing such a painting on the cover, then his beaver hat's on too tight. And it's been a grand thread to participate in- a grown-up slumber party without the night cream and curlers. My admiration to you, Lady!

ponting
08-30-2005, 05:50 PM
You are too kind Dawn....what happens when I produce my first flop? :D

I will PM you about the UK workshops

Cheers, Dianna

ponting
08-30-2005, 05:57 PM
*]it's been a grand thread to participate in- a grown-up slumber party without the night cream and curlers.

It was fun wasn't it? :clap:

And in all seriousness, we have a mutual admiration society of two here so your comments are taken to heart....as I hope, are my slurs against your good nature.........Uncle!....Uncle!.....I take it back... :rolleyes:

Ciao Dianna :wave:

SweetBabyJ
08-30-2005, 07:43 PM
...awwww.... she LIKES me!! She really, really likes me!!

Hurry on down here- I'm holding reservations for Sunday Brunch for us! Just think: Mimosas and crepes flambe`.... oooooooooo! *yum*

Fort Meyer
08-30-2005, 08:32 PM
AND THE WINNER IS....

That works for me!! It has a name.....FINALLY!! :D Now don't you go expecting 1/3 royalties for that neither Julie .... :angel:

Kat that is a good point about the curve.....and it makes me so much more money....tee hee http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2005/34523-thumbsup.gif :DHeck ... I thunk up more names than she did. What are they a lighting anyway? Makes them sound a little light in the moccasins!

Seriously, this is a magnificent piece of art work Dianna, and it will certainly win you many accolades. I'm proud to know you and your work.

Fort Meyer
08-30-2005, 08:35 PM
...awwww.... she LIKES me!! She really, really likes me!!Plays favorites too. :( :cat:

Yup! It was grand fun! Thanks for letting me join in! :clap:

Mikki Petersen
08-30-2005, 10:15 PM
This is a stunning painting done by a terrifically talented artist and the decided on title is also perfect. Standing ovations here.

Mikki

ponting
08-30-2005, 11:04 PM
Yup! It was grand fun! Thanks for letting me join in! :clap:
Couldn't have had the party without you Judy.......I'm still struck by the occasional giggle as I go about my day. Thanks for letting me in on your particular brand of humor. :D

Mikki :o Thanks :cat:

Ciao.....Dianna

ponting
08-30-2005, 11:15 PM
My gosh we are on page 9 here.....Perhaps it is time to put this one to bed.

Thanks to every one of you that made this thread so much fun and a body feel so very appreciated.

Cheers, and God bless......Dianna :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Aug-2005/34523-Alighting-at-Fort-Langley.jpg
ALIGHTING AT FORT LANGLEY