PDA

View Full Version : study still life

SweetBabyJ
08-01-2005, 03:23 PM
A study for a larger, more-involved work:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2005/9169-still_life_in_pink_and_bluers.jpg

Some of the blues and fuscias are coming up much brighter, here; they are not so strong in the painting. Also, ignore the seeming tilt- it's square in RL.

khourianya
08-01-2005, 04:06 PM
Gorgeous work, as always, Julie. I am guessing it's on Wallis, but what size? and how big are you going to make the larger piece?

Khadres
08-01-2005, 04:35 PM
Lotsa pink goin' on there! As always, I love your shadows and that tablecloth is to die for!

CindyW
08-01-2005, 05:24 PM
Julie, it's going to be gorgeous! I loved your calla lilies and so am waiting for this enthusiastically.
I have a comment about the two pink objects...their horizontal tops seem to have alot of energy between them and appear to create a horizontal line almost but not quite between the two. Should you create one of them to be just a tad taller than the other to break that almost horizontal line?
Cindy

Bringer
08-01-2005, 06:03 PM
Hi,

This is really astounding (hope I got this word right). But...and there's always a but...I would like to see the object at the right (the bowl with the pearls) done in a more photorealistic way like the others. It seems a bit different from the others.
I would like to know your opinion upon this.
It's always a joy to look at your works.

Regards,

Josť

SweetBabyJ
08-01-2005, 08:38 PM
This one's only about 12x13", Cori- just a study of some of the little things to see if I can even do the depth of detail I'll need in the larger piece, which will be in the 20 x 30" range. While I'm often accused of being "too detailed", that detail is usually "faked"- the same way the old Masters squiggled a bit of ochre and yellow to make gold braid. I do the same thing, usually, and in this larger piece, that won't do at all. The detail will have to be real, and right.

Yep Sooz- the pinks- especially that fuscia- seem to be being "enhanced" a bit by the jpg format here. "In real" it doesn't "glow" like that- it isn't arresting to the eye. Same with the blues on the ceramic cat- in real, they are quuite muted, not "blue" so much as blue-ish- and the little flowers in shadow are definately in shadow. But to get the very subtle colorations on the tablecloth, in the jpg, the camera setting had to be quite sensitive.

I can see the near-ping-pong effect Cindy- I'd worry it if this was more than a study. I suppose what actually ticks me off more is how everything in the pic seems to lean and warp a bit- as soon as I saw the pic, I went and got my T-square to check the back ellipse on the cup- it's NOT warped like that in the painting, yet it is here. If I decide to keep this one, it'll have to be more carefully photographed. The large one I have in mind will include quite a few more items- and many more colours darn it- so my concern with it will be to keep it harmonious.

S'pose you'd have to see it in real, Jose- that little neon pink compote is quite glassy and realistic. To my eye, somehow photographing most paintings seems to pin them down somehow- make them very static- moreso than they appear when framed and hanging.

Kathryn Wilson
08-01-2005, 09:19 PM
As usual, you glass object looks superb - and the elipses on that look right - but looking at the cup, it looks off - I see now, the design underneath the lip of the cup doesn't seem quite parallel to the elipse - that might be throwing it off.

SweetBabyJ
08-01-2005, 09:40 PM
Here Kat:

I can see the near-ping-pong effect Cindy- I'd worry it if this was more than a study. I suppose what actually ticks me off more is how everything in the pic seems to lean and warp a bit- as soon as I saw the pic, I went and got my T-square to check the back ellipse on the cup- it's NOT warped like that in the painting, yet it is here. If I decide to keep this one, it'll have to be more carefully photographed. The large one I have in mind will include quite a few more items- and many more colours darn it- so my concern with it will be to keep it harmonious.

Tich
08-01-2005, 10:00 PM
SBJ

This is looking great. Much different than your usual. I am into the theory of threes and can't help but think that an additional half opened flower would be a bonus part way down the stem. Supposing they do grow that way. But then who am I to question such genius.

Tich

prestonsega
08-01-2005, 11:37 PM
I have a comment about the two pink objects...their horizontal tops seem to have alot of energy between them and appear to create a horizontal line almost but not quite between the two. Should you create one of them to be just a tad taller than the other to break that almost horizontal line?
Cindy

Nice work Julie, even if it is a study, I have to agree with what Bing is seeing, .....but the thing that distracts me is that these same height objects are sitting the same distance from the viewer....move one forward or backward to break the static feeling........beautiful colors.......

SweetBabyJ
08-01-2005, 11:54 PM
Almost, Preston. There's a good near 2" difference vertical between 'em, and the compote is taller by about 1/2"- neither quite enough at this small
5x6" resolution to make a difference. Might change it, might not- I'm not that vested in this.

Good thought, Tich- hadn't occured to me as I knew there was a bloom on the backside of that stem hidden by the front two- you can see it in the shadow. I'll keep it in mind as the orchid is part of the larger piece planned- while the compote is not.

DLJohnson
08-02-2005, 12:11 AM
This is a study, wow! I really like it, especially the background. I don't mean to be boring but I really like the color, the shadow and light, and kind of abstract feel. It seems classical and contemporary at the same time. Can I say that? I really like the orchid, very realistic. I think I am partial to paintings of colored glass, as interesting as the real thing or more. Hope you post the final painting for us to see.

Donna

jackiesimmonds
08-02-2005, 02:10 AM
You say that "the large one will have quite a few more items". Excuse me for saying this - cos I have no doubt you will pull it off regardless - but what was the point in doing this as "a study for a bigger one", if you intend to change the set up a lot? Every item you add will add a different dynamic to the picture, since every colour, line and shape creates a force within the rectangle that pushes or pulls in one way or another. So if you put in more articles, you will be creating a totally different picture!

that's not to say you wasted your time. This "study" could easily be a seller on its own. It is unusual, with its intriguing geometric echoing shapes and directions which provide a note of interest to the still life.

J

SweetBabyJ
08-02-2005, 09:55 AM
Hi, Jackie- exactly!!

See, I'd been thinking of doing something very complex and was casting about for ideas; I'd gather related stuff and take pics of set-ups, look 'em over and say "Well, yeah, that's good, that'd work, but..." I wasn't interested. So the other day, I dropped the "related" requirement and tried for something else. (Well, I'd also been looking at some Deborah Deichler and Will Wilson, so my head was filled with weird stuff).

The one I really liked is *extremely* complex- I like it on many levels:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Aug-2005/9169-yinyang01rs.jpg

(The comp- especially- is not set in stone yet, and I'm still working that part out, but as you can see, the elements are complex and detailed).

My big problem with the whole idea is, believe it or not, what y'all see as "detail" in most of my work is not like Dianna's work where the detail is highly accurate- I've never trusted my hands to do that (you should see my fingers shake when I have to get something *exactly* right!) Mostly, I'm just good at laying in enough darks that the lights pop right so things "appear" detailed. This one, though, this one the details will matter because of all those echoes going on.

And thank-you for spotting that! I thought I was the only one. That quality is what I first spotted in this one here- all those echoes. Not only is the colour echoed, but the pattern on the vase is echoed in the cloth and the shadows on the ceramic cat, and the orchid's shadows are echoed in the angle of light on the "wall". There's a rythym going on between the shapes and heights- like a complex musical passage- with some notes heard clearly, while others support- I was intrigued.

I know on the big one they will matter even more because I will not have the major connection of colour in it- it will very easily disintegrate into "noise". But my biggest fear on that one was- and is- still the amount of detail- I didn't know if I could find the lights for the tablecloth (which will be imporant), nor if I could be accurate enough to paint a (1) ceramic (2) 3-dimensional form which is (3) also highly patterned with (4) a bas relief. Same with the ceramic cat- only with important shadowing and 3-D shape along with patterning that isn't bas relief, but instead needs to lay flat around a curve! So, since both the orchid and the cat are slated for this big one, I decided to do a "study" of this simpler set-up to see if I could even do it at all.

That's why I used a scrap piece of Wallis- small- and paid the most attention to what was "worrying" me- the patterning all over. Today I'll be dragging everything from the big one back out, and working with it- and getting individual pics of each item in place so I can try Dianna's method and not have to "wing it" where the going gets complex.

I'm hoping it works- right down to the stocking... ;)

Dark_Shades
08-02-2005, 01:01 PM
Just lovvvvvvve that detail in the cloth (wonderful hints of colour ), the pot is pretty darn nifty too, well done

meowmeow
08-02-2005, 01:08 PM
The glass is, as usual, stunning, Julie. And I love the little pink pot. The texture is amazing.....however you get your detail, it works!

Sandy

SweetBabyJ
08-02-2005, 03:45 PM
The cloth was- and will be- integral, Dawn- glad you noticed it.

Thanks, Sandy- it's got a lot of strengths, just, right now my attention is on the bigger one. I'm not ready for it, yet, but I'm working toward it.

Merethe T
08-02-2005, 04:06 PM
Your study is gorgous, lovely color combos, and the cloth is to die for! But I gotta say the ref for your bigger work is really interesting, I like the contrast between the feminine and masculine objects. Looks like a challenging piece, at least to me! Do we get to see your progress on it? *crosses fingers*

Mikki Petersen
08-02-2005, 07:01 PM
Ooooo...I already have a name for the big one..."Woman's Work"

The study is technically good. You certainly have the detail. I don't like the two opposing pink objects. If one was removed from either side, I think the comp would work better but that's just my opinion.

As for the photo, That's a winner!

Mikki

DLJohnson
08-03-2005, 12:24 PM
Thanks for all the info. I am learning so much. It is especially helpful to see the photo for some reason. I can't wait to see what you come up with from this. I am sure you will pull it off because of your preparation and study, oh yeah, and all that talent!

Donna

Orchidacea
08-03-2005, 10:04 PM
I'm subscribing to this thread. Maybe if I keep reading things like this, I'll be able to really understand what's being said!

SweetBabyJ
08-03-2005, 10:19 PM
Thanks, Merethe- I got some decent shots of the set-up today, but for the life of me I could not get a stocking in it- the darned thing just kept sticking out like a sore thumb! I'm going to be trying Dianna's method of actually pre-drawing everything and transferring it to the ground- I usually just wing it with a piece of vine charcoal and a vague notion of where center is....

lol Mikki- I'd titled that photo yinandyang- just for that reason.

Glad to be of help, Donna- I think we all develop our own methods of working, an sometimes the germ of someone else's idea is enough to grow our own.

lol Kim- remember: This is art- not rocket science. If you have questions, just ask, either here, or in pm.

jackiesimmonds
08-04-2005, 07:32 AM
I will be most interested to see what you make of this. While I understand and appreciate all those echoing angles, I find the disparate nature of the objects vaguely disturbing and rahter unpleasant. I am not sure why, because I have seen still life pics of disparate objects and they haven't bothered me at all, I have found them intriguing...but I find this lot disturbing. Perhaps it is just me. Perhaps it is all the angles, which always are visually exiting/disturbing. perhaps I should shut up.

J

ponting
08-04-2005, 03:30 PM
...but for the life of me I could not get a stocking in it- the darned thing just kept sticking out like a sore thumb!

I was rolling on the floor laughing at this Julie......Oh my goodness that was my belly laugh for the day!! You are just going to have to add a lampshade to hang it on!! http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Aug-2005/34523-laught16.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Aug-2005/34523-laught18.gif http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Aug-2005/34523-laught30.gif

So lady, I thought you were going to let me know when you started this??? Here I have almost missed the show but the best part was reading the reaction to the next piece....great minds think alike.

Anyway once you find that workbench it is going to look fantastic and I WANT TO KNOW when you start this one. :p

Cheers and giggles, Dianna

SweetBabyJ
08-04-2005, 03:55 PM
Ha!

See, Jackie, it isn't quite right yet- I think, most of all the colour bothers me- there's just not enough harmony. So I have to figure out a way to tone that contrast down, or just change the colours around- not sure yet. I got some much better refs of set-ups with those items, and am playing with stuff in psp.

However, Dianna, whilst busily setting up and moving this here and that there, I also came up with this one- which I really really like. I dunno- I might like it even better....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Aug-2005/9169-shoestill.jpg

'Least I don't have to actually *wear* those shoes if they're part of a still life, right??

ponting
08-04-2005, 06:59 PM
However, Dianna, whilst busily setting up and moving this here and that there, I also came up with this one- which I really really like. I dunno- I might like it even better....

'Least I don't have to actually *wear* those shoes if they're part of a still life, right??

It is just a simpler place to start but there is no question....of course..you will be doing them both!

Being that you are vertically challenged you probably did wear those at one time. :p

Cheers, Dianna :cat:

SweetBabyJ
08-04-2005, 07:39 PM
Yup- I've teetered in 'em a few times; I'd swear to you the view was different, but that'd be hard to say because mainly I wasn't paying attention 'cause my feet hurt.

Both is looking probable.

jackiesimmonds
08-05-2005, 04:20 AM
My money is on the one with the painful shoes.

ow. It hurts even to look at them.

Jackie

crumbedbrains
08-05-2005, 05:50 AM
Sorry but I've got to agree with Jackie here . . . find some of these set ups hard on the eye . . . for a variety of different reasons . . for example, opposing objects such as the similar height pink objects, or shoes facing each other . . . or for things like items lining up along the table . . . having said that, I too have seen totally unrelated objects work well together . . but I think that's because they are not TOTALLY unrelated in either colour, shape . . or just holding a composiiton together (i.e leading the eye in a comfortable way). I have also toyed with the idea of doing a large (and I mean large!!) painting and I know how hard it is to settle on a set-up one is comfortable with . . . this seems to come easily to others but not me . . .I once did a painting with just oranges and plastic . .yep just two types of items and I took over 200 photos before I was happy!! Thank Goodness for digital cameras!! LOL
Keep playing is the only advice I can give.
Cheers
Crumby

SweetBabyJ
08-05-2005, 11:44 AM
Yup- I'm still working on it. It'll either work out right, or won't- it's all just bits of dirt and dead trees....

ponting
08-05-2005, 12:30 PM
My money is on the one with the painful shoes.

ow. It hurts even to look at them.

Jackie

Ain't that the truth !! :D

I am still a go on the first one simply because it is unusual in its complexity. I love the repeated shapes, patterns and colours. Where did you find a fabric that almost duplicates the plant pot?

Then there is the collection itself. It is like a hot and cold painting. Soft and hard. Fem and masc. And so bloody busy....

There are a few minor changes that could be made but I have to say I love it. Gosh I glad we don't all love the same thing. :p

Cheers, Dianna