PDA

View Full Version : The Goal Posts for August 2005

Khadres
08-01-2005, 04:13 PM
Whew! Are these the "dog days" of summer or what? I know we here in Colorado are setting records on the heat scale this year and it's a neverending job trying to keep the lawn alive! Thank heaven for fans and bedroom air conditioners!

I didn't get much of anything done last month really except for cleaning up my studio area so that I no longer have THAT as an excuse for not getting something done. I am, however, happy to see how many of you are meeting or even exceeding your goals! This might be a fun time to pause a minute and take stock of all you've accomplished since the Goal Posts started...I think if we added it all up, we'd be amazed and highly impressed with what we've accomplished.

So...it's hot outside, turn on a fan or an AC and paint indoors! If it's nicer outdoors than in, plein air is always fun! Just keep up the good work and congratulations to all those who have won awards, made sales, and tackled new challenges over the last months! Just goes to show....we CAN do it!

Following is the usually spiel about what the thread is all about:

This is a thread dedicated to goal setting. Doesn’t matter what KIND of goal you choose; that’s up to you, but the idea is to ask yourself what your art goals are. Want to change subject matter, technique, try some different colors than you usually use, or just work more consistently and productively than in the past? This is the place for you!

This area is all about supporting each other in reaching our personal art goals and acting a bit like our very own cheerleading team. It can be a bit lonely at that easel day in and day out. Sometimes, just a few words of positive feedback and encouragement when we find ourselves sliding into a slump can make all the difference. Here, we can choose our goals, discuss them, and think them through in an ongoing way.

This is a place you can feel free to try ANYTHING you want to with your artwork and be assured of encouragement, not criticism. No one will laugh at your lopsided barn or clashing colors; nobody cares if you yearn to paint nothing but antique milk cartons; we’ll welcome anything you want to try and treat it with respect whether it’s traditionally "arty" or not. Feel free to break the "rules" sometimes without fear of reprimand! This is a place to take risks and push yourself a bit more than usual. It’s also a place to have FUN.

Each person is free to set their own goals….some will find 100 paintings ….or any set number at all a bit daunting. Maybe a number goal isn't what you're after at all. No worries, just do your best to tell us what you're hoping to achieve and we'll support you in every way we can. I think that's the first order of business for each participant…deciding just what their personal goal is at this point in time. I think we should allow for those goals to mutate and change direction along the way and everyone can change focus freely by simply re-stating his or her goals anew. So those interested in taking part in this might want to think out their goals and reasoning, etc. and then try to post it here in the Goal Posts thread so the rest of us will know your needs and direction and can try to support you with them.

The main rule for this area is that it is a NO CRITIQUE NOW (NCN) ZONE. This may seem silly on the surface, but we’ve had some newbies AND vet WC’ers who have been negatively affected by strenuous critiquing too early in whatever process they were working through. Some have given up posting their work at all unless they were totally sure it would be beyond reproach. I’ve been very lucky in this; feedback on my work has been kind and very, very helpful, but I have seen occasions when such was not the case. For the experienced tough-hided folks among us, that’s no problem. But in here, it’s not allowed. That’s one thing you don’t have to worry about for awhile. If you CHOOSE to invite full critiques (and I’d encourage you to do so when you’re ready and when what you’re doing is at the right stage), we ask that you copy the work in question to the appropriate Studio (Oil or Soft Pastel) and ask for critiques from participants there. I don't for a moment think anyone here in the Pastel forum has been INTENTIONALLY mean in their critiquing, so don't get me wrong here; it's just that there is a time for frank discussion of someone's work, both good and bad, and there's a time to give the artist some space.…

While negative feedback is verboten here, SUPPORTIVE feedback is welcome and encouraged! We all like an occasional pat on the back, after all! Just try to be as specific as possible in your supportive comments…WHAT did you like about the piece in question, what neat effect did it have on you, etc. This helps the artist so much more than just saying, "Love it!" It's also okay to ask questions, such as "What are you aiming for with this? Color harmony or deliberate discord?" or "This is a bit different from your recent paintings…is this a permanent change in direction or just an experiment?" And it's all right for the artist to ask for specific feedback such as, "Is the model's arm too fat in comparison to the rest of her body?" Just remember to answer the question only; she'll find out the feet look like duck's feet when she goes for a full critique! Questions and answers that will help the artist THINK more clearly can be good. I just don't want anything even remotely resembling: "Well, you CAN'T have green people against a red sky…that's WRONG." Nothing you do in here will ever be considered WRONG….it may seem a bit weird, but that's fine, that's what experiments are sometimes. And who knows? You may find a niche for yourself and become famous for green people with duck's feet against red skies!

khourianya
08-01-2005, 04:33 PM
Well - with my new studio essentially set up (just waiting on my new easel, which should arrive tomorrow) - I am ready to set down my goals for August.

Last month I didn't do much. I got out and did one plein air piece and I did a couple of WDEs and did a couple of pieces for my project...but nothing substantial to furthering myself as an artist.

This month I am going to go out and do some more plein air, while i have my time off.

I am also working at organizing my studio time better. I have informed my project participants that I will only be updating the puzzle once a week so I can get in more quality time with my easel.

I am hoping to perhaps be ready to apply for active member atatus with the Federation of Canadian Artists by the end of the summer...so I need to get slides made this month of everything.

I didn't get my rescanning of my painitngs done in july (still hoping that hard drive can be recovered...I am having Cam work on it today). If it doesn't work, I will have to spend time rescanning and photographing so I can send them away to have slides made. I will be happy when that is done..then it is just maintenence...

Khadres
08-01-2005, 04:42 PM
I think you're making great progress on your goals, Cori, especially when you figure in MOVING house, and landscaping and everything else you took on last month!

Why is it I resist the whole slides gathering and forms, etc. involved in joining art groups? I have always HATED that part of art...not the applying and joining, but the rigamarole involved in it. Same thing happened when I was doing oils...had to practically hogtie me to get me to photograph my paintings and fill out all the forms for shows, etc. I think I'm just naturally anti-marketing or something! :D

Trilby
08-01-2005, 04:44 PM
My biggest goal is to just keep on keeping on painting. I want to do one large one a week plus some smaller ones. Ongoing goal is to keep moving the lessons forward from one painting to the next. I will begin to mat and frame my own work; I have a nice mat cutter and a bunch of mat boards. The framing is not so prepared for yet. I want to establish a body of competent work that can go into a gallery that has expressed interest. Also a local restaurant has offered a small wall to be my own personal gallery
When I first picked up art again 8 months ago (pastels just 4 months ago) I gave myself a year to shake the rust, play and learn before looking at commercial ventures, so I'm not sure yet that I want to advance that date. This month I will make some progress on making some order in my home so I can claim a studio space. Right now my papers are behind the front door, my jump bag of art supplies is behind the TV, the Julien Easel just sits in the midst of everything, frames are stacked behind my chair, more frames and matboards are behind the sofa, well you get the idea. Mostly the goal is just paint.
TJ

Khadres
08-01-2005, 04:54 PM
I can sympathize with your cramped quarters, TJ! I'm luckier than most to have an area set aside for art gear, but that doesn't mean it's adequate...I doubt there IS such a space!

You've certainly made great strides in your artwork, too! Fabulous stuff this last month and you seem well on your way. I'm like you in the matting dept. too...nice cutter and plenty of mat board to try out, just haven't gotten to it yet.

jerseybarb
08-01-2005, 07:17 PM
Two goals for this month

One to straighten out my studio and two to do a COMPLETE pastel painting, with a background :eek: :eek: and everything LOL I've done dozens of quickie sketches but I havent had the time to sit down and really draw

CindyW
08-01-2005, 07:53 PM
Yikes, the show is this Thursday and I am scrambling to frame these 14 pieces (I'm at work now, otherwise, couldn't be posting! would be framing!). Framing: THAT'S alot of work, woowee. I've got another late night tonight and tomorrow night to finish up. Stan (scoller) has been might helpful with tips on framing.

I've got 8 completely framed (6 left to finish!!) and leaning on furniture and I have to say this is DARN fulfilling to see it as a group. I am too busy to sit there enthralled with all the work done in 3+ months but I'll be able to let out that deep sigh when it's all hung on the display and I've taken a picture of it on Wednesday.

Then the show on Thursday....let's hope no rain! We're borrowing a tent for heat and rain and wind coverage and a 6 walled lightweight display from a friend, and if this show thing seems no big deal, maybe we'll invest in a setup for next year.

So....goals for this month:
SURVIVE the outdoor show. Learn alot about shows in one day. (weather calamities, credit card transaction bungles, practice people skills, forgotten items much needed, stress from husband gone from booth and have to go to the bathroom....things like that.)
FINISH pix I posted here that didn't get finished for this show.
FINISH website.
CHECK out the thread I read awhile back about getting slides made from digital images. I'm with you, Cori, I want to:
JOIN an art group/society/association. I'm ready for it. I have a couple nearby to look into: Cape Cod Pastel Society and Newburyport Art Association. It sure can't hurt and why the heck not try for:
JURIED SHOWS as well? This outdoor show has been the best push for me to get actively arting again and to turn off the tv. Well, to just listen to it out of eyesight has been just fine while I'm at my studio table.
THINK about unfinished artwork from last 10 years and whether they are worth picking up and finishing.

Happy Goaling, everyone!
Cindy

CM Neidhofer
08-01-2005, 08:56 PM
Contine with last month's goal: To work more on my art. I have three WIP's at the moment. Also to finish reworking my website. I still don't have all of my work back up there. And third, to maybe get out for a plein aire or two, if the heat would back off a little!

Christine

Piper Ballou
08-01-2005, 09:19 PM
Hi all,
Well, life has to interrupt my painting time this time of year. It is back to school in 9 days but still settting some goals.

1. Finish a dog portrait that I have been putting off all summer (horrible reference photos)
2.. I am also painting two K-9s for the Sheriff Department.
3. And paint one landscape.
4. Have fun

anything else will be a bonus
piper

khourianya
08-01-2005, 09:35 PM
And voila - my first painting for august:

"A Couple of Poppies"
11 X 14 on colourfix

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2005/47843-poppies.jpg

Trilby
08-01-2005, 10:37 PM
Cindy that show is going to be such a satisfaction. you've worked hard and steadily and created beautiful art. I just know it will be a huge success for you no matter what happens or how many sales. But just reading about all that work and all the work your goals imply makes me exhausted plus you're caring for your familly, my gosh. I'm exited to see your photos of the set up and then to read how it all went and your thoughts about it.

Cori, be proud of these poppies--Very Proud!!!
TJ

CindyW
08-01-2005, 10:45 PM
......But just reading about all that work and all the work your goals imply makes me exhausted ......
TJ

:D:p:eek::confused::o:music::music:la la la la la!! (my state of mind tonight at 2am, or thereabouts, most likely).
Ha ha ha! TJ, it does sound like I'm running around with my pants on fire, doesn't it? Ok, well, it's a contained and outwardly calm fire, in accordance with NH indoor fire codes. Hee hee....
Cindy

Khadres
08-02-2005, 01:16 AM
Wow, you make ME tired just thinking about all that work you're involved in , Cindy! I really don't think yer pants have TIME to be on fire!!! I really hope this show goes beautifully for you! Keep us posted!

Cori, I already said I think but those poppies are gorgeous! LOVE that red!!!

We had a house near us that had a SLEW of giant HUGE red poppies growing between their privacy fence and the street for years. Just GORGEOUS. So...of course I get a digital camera finally and go over there last year to get some shots....well....seems the city came by the year before and scoured every living thing on that patch of dirt and sprayed it with weed killer.....no more poppies! :mad:

khourianya
08-02-2005, 01:37 AM
See, now THAT is one for the Murphy's law thread: "When you are about to go and finally get that perfect reference photo, the city crew will have certainly come and killed off what you were going to photograph!"

Khadres
08-02-2005, 08:28 AM
Yeah, I should add that one to the Murphy's thread!

scall0way
08-02-2005, 12:20 PM
Wow Cori, I love those poppies! What a brilliant red, and so dramatic against the black background. A friend of mine just came back from Alaska, and has a photo of the most incredible Tibetan poppies - a brilliant and vivid blue! I'd love to paint them, but her only reference photo is not terribly paintable.

As for August goals:
1) Well my "studio" is my dining room, and it's been getting more and more cluttered over the last few months as I keep buying more art stuff, :D. I've decided I really need to get things more organized, and have been going through everything trying to get rid of things I don't need to make room for the art. I 'm a packrat so it broke my heart to throw out some old tablecloths cloth napkins and things. I always think there *might* be a use for them someday - even if I have not touched them in 20 years! But I did get one large drawer of a big dresser I have in the dining room cleared out, and I covered all my current paintings with glassine paper and laid them in the drawer. I'm making progress but the room is still a mess, so first goal is try to finish getting the dining room organized.

2) I'm heading up to Canada for three weeks on August 13. It's a very "paintable" area, and I'm bringing my pastels and have set a goal to do some plein air painting. I'm not sure I will manage every day, but ever *other* day at least. I'd love to come home with at least 6-8 plein airs, and maybe some still lifes too.

Debbie C.

angecald
08-02-2005, 12:30 PM
Murphy's Law is right, Sooz! I had the same experience with a field of wildflowers. It wasn't even in a residential area, but in a remote part of the park where few people walk. Why are they so mower-happy?

Well, I managed to complete none of my goals for July, but here I am, bold as brass, ready to try again. I'm thankful for new beginnings. If the whole year went by without the start of a new month, or a new week, or a new day, I don't think I would make it through another one. :)

My July goal was to paint every day, and I painted just once. I did use my sketchbook daily for the first two weeks, but then got distracted by household projects, and now can't even locate the sketchbook. I've started a new one for August.

Another goal was to approach some commercial galleries. I went part of the way with that, identified the ones I want to approach, and started printing the postcards.. The card stock I had wasn't quite right, and that was excuse enough to put it on the back burner. I thought the postcards were a good way to go, but now I'm afraid they will call and ask for slides (I should be so lucky!), and I don't have any of current work, so I'll look unprofessional. :o So I guess a goal for August will be to get some slides made.

I let the painting go because I was clearing and redecorating what had become a junk room. With my daughter's help I got it done in reasonable time, and it looks great. Back to painting, right? Then, before I could pick up a pastel, the living room ceiling sprung a leak the size of Niagara Falls. :eek:

Now we have to gut our bathroom and replace everything in it. Just half an hour ago a Home Depot truck rolled into our driveway with a toilet, sink, shower, drywall, plywood, and tile. Oh, and I'll have to paint the whole room, too. And it all needs to be done fast because it's our only bathroom. Meanwhile, we'll be using a port-a-potty in the yard. I should be thankful it's August, not January!

The thing is, I know very well that life happens. Cori got through a complete household move with a bad ankle, while working a full time job - even getting a new job! - without missing very many beats. (I love the poppies, Cori!) And TJ had to go on that long trip for her father's funeral, a truly major life-changing event that would sap the energy from the best, but she managed to get quite a bit of work done.

So there must be a way. This time, I have to keep working even with the renovation going on. I won't have to do as much of the hands-on stuff as the carpenter and plumber will be doing most of the work. I just need to keep my head and keep on working, day by day. How do you think the workmen would feel about having me sketch them while they work? :evil:

Cindy, good luck with your show. Your pictures are all gorgeous, and you can feel justly proud when you have them all framed and ready to display. I've seen the work of the Cape Cod group online, and they're very good, but so are you.

khourianya
08-02-2005, 12:47 PM
The thing is, I know very well that life happens. Cori got through a complete household move with a bad ankle, while working a full time job - even getting a new job! - without missing very many beats. (I love the poppies, Cori!)

I'm the weirdo of the group, Agnes, not some superwoman. I'm so used to being busy that being busier doesn't faze me as bad as it used to. If I hadn't become a time management queen years ago, I would have long since burried myself!

Life does happen and we just have to roll with it. Get you r house in order so you can dedicate the time to your goals. The great thing about goals is you can always adjust the end date to your life at this moment.

I couldn't even think about painting until the excess of cardboard boxes was removed from my sight. I still have a library in a state of disarray and no pictures are hung up (but dammit my studio is set up so now I can paint! :D)

Khadres
08-02-2005, 04:32 PM
Well, Cori, you have your priorities right...studio done and empty boxes removed first...everything else will follow in due course.

Agnes, I know exactly what you're talking about with life happens. I'm the world's worst about allowing myself to be stymied by life complications...and quite often they're not even MY complications but someone else's! I have this bad habit lately of waiting for the next shoe to drop (as it is wont to do lately!) when I should actually be stuffing as much work into the waiting time as possible! I just find it hard to concentrate when things are up in the air...something I definitely need to work on!

Orchidacea
08-02-2005, 08:04 PM
I'm a first-time goaler (and a long-time WC lurker)...I'm hoping that getting more involved here will keep me more involved in my artwork. I've been through some big changes in my life recently that have freed up a lot of energy (and a small amount of funds)for creativity, finally!

My goals: Continue making my work space more pleasant and functional (I've never had a dedicated workspace before!).

Paint or draw at least a little bit every day.

Incorporate artwork into my written journal.

Insist on doing the things I love.

Wow! Thanks in advance! I think this is going to help.

Khadres
08-02-2005, 08:10 PM
Well, welcome to the goal posts, Kim! Here's hoping you can achieve your aims and enjoy more artwork in your life! Sometimes, just writing down a goal makes it more tangible and easier to focus on. Check in often and let us know how you are doing with yours!

khourianya
08-02-2005, 08:20 PM
Those are great goals, Kim! Welcome to the goal post! :D

Piper Ballou
08-03-2005, 12:32 AM
Welcome Kim, you will find everyone to be very friendly and helpful. Looking forward to seeing some of your paintings
piper

pjo
08-04-2005, 07:28 AM
I am ready to get back to setting goals again, even though August is half over I would like to set some short term goals for this month. Originally on this thread (way back) I set a goat of 50 painting in this year, then life did interfere as I see it has for most all of us, (I really admire those of you who keep painting in the midst of changes) sooo... first of all I have about 5 paintings close to being done, but not quite done yet, there are little things I'd like to tweek a bit. Second, I want to paint on a regular basis, I've set up 3 morning each week to paint and hope I can keep everything else from interupting my painting time. Third, is to enter a couple of upcoming shows (3 have deadlines in August). I think thats it for me this month, there are quite a few long term goals, but I'll go into that later.
Kim-I can empathize with the big changes, good for you for setting your goals and moving on.
Agnes-Hang in there, I hope your bathroom fix up goes well, and that you can squeeze some painting time in.
Cori-Your poppies and your studio look great, books can stay in boxes for a while yet, enjoy your new studio.
Sooz-I tend to be like you, and have to have a calmer state of mind to paint, I've found though that painting first thing in the morning (after I walk, eat and read my bible, which all seem to put me in the right frame of mind for the day) works better for me than waiting til later, I'm fresher and less cluttered at that time. Good luck to you, I wonder if some of us have painted when we feel uptight or not quite in the mood and how the painting went. Could it be a freeing kind of experience? Would your painting reflect the emotions?

Khadres
08-04-2005, 11:53 AM
Glad to see you back, PJ! Yes, I've tried and TRIED to paint during times of stress, but the results are not good usually...which only increases the stress, of course. I think it's because I'm less able at those times to focus or shift into right brain mode. Eventually, I hope to get better at that but it's a definite struggle. Also, when I paint or do any kind of art, I tend to have this guilty voice in the back of my head that keeps saying, "You should be doing something else! There's this and that to be done and you're making messes here in the studio!" Ah, well.

Glad you've set aside some time for your pastels again and can't WAIT to see your latest work!

Piper Ballou
08-04-2005, 12:23 PM
I am a lot like you too, PJ and Sooz, I have to be relaxed to paint. Because this is my last week of summer before school starts I thought I would paint every afternoon, but nada has happened. but, today my room will be finished, etc. so should get a good 3 days before I start back.
During the school year I usually can paint a little in the evenings, but on the weekends I do not relax enough to paint until Sunday afternoon, so how does one step away from everything and relax enough to paint? This is something I really need to work on and not sure how to go about it.
piper

Trilby
08-04-2005, 12:49 PM
It has been a great boon to me to have a group of folk to paint with on Thursdays at open studio. I can pack up my art gear and lunch and leave the mess of my house, the bills, the have tos, the phone, etc and enter a world of art and sisterhood. Sometimes I spend an hour fussing about setting up stuff before beginning to paint but once started in this atmosphere it all begins to flow. It is inspiring to see what others are doing in all the different mediums, and uplifting to get all the support we give to each other there. I've often stayed there late into the evening after everyone goes home just because I know that I won't be able to paint effectively without a lot of effort at my house. If I have a good start and the energies are high then I will set my easel astride the mess at home and continue painting the next day. Until I learned so many artists don't have ties to a group of artists or even just one other, I didn't know how fortunate I am to have this. When I do have a dedicated studio space of my own that is somewhat orderly I plan to as some writers do, simply paint regardless, during some set times. When I really am antsy with stress or busyness I find just doodling mindlessly helps ease the stress and soon I'm making some kind of art out of my doodles, music helps too. Also at this period of my life art has become a compulsion as I am hastening to make up for all the lost years I wasn't painting so it has more importance than anything else has in my life which keeps away those background thoughts of I should be doing something else, like cleaning the house.
TJ

Bill Foehringer
08-04-2005, 04:07 PM
I went to Northern Wi last weekend and someone reccommened me to a local Gallery owner. So I stopped in and showed him my pastels fresh off the lake. He deferred until next spring because it's late in the 'season' and one of his regular artists was due to have a show and bring in 25-30pcs and the wall space was limited. He liked my stuff although I think the plein air kind of through him off for his buyers. Anyway I'll have a portfolio put together by then and make a proper approach.
The rejection only stung a little and gave me something to think over on the long drive home. So I approached my first gallery!!!! Yeah! BillF

SuzySue
08-04-2005, 04:24 PM
Here are my goals for August.

1. Draw/paint at lease 30min per day. I need to quit coming up with excuses why I can not do a little everyday.
2. Post to WC at least once per day (this is hard for someone who hates to write)

Sue

Khadres
08-04-2005, 06:47 PM
I agree, TJ, I did a LOT more painting back when I had other artists to work with! I also know that sooner or later, I'm going to have to set some time aside and just do it whether the rest of the family/world goes to hades in a handbasket while I'm at it or not.

Bill, good for you! You've gotten over another first! Like you say, it's never easy to be rejected, but if you can learn from the experience, the next time should be much more positive. As much work as you're doing will definitely pay off, trust me!

Welcome to the goals thread, Sue...just wondering if you perchance belong to the Austin Pastel Society? As an ex-Austinite, I hear of all the arty things going on down there and get really homesick sometimes!

Good luck with your goals!

SuzySue
08-05-2005, 10:04 AM
Sooz, thanks - no, I don't belong. But I did just email them and maybe I'll join. Any other good Austin art advice?

Sue

pjo
08-05-2005, 09:36 PM
Sooz-maybe you can find a group or even just another artist to paint with on a regular basis. I know that when I take a class, and have a scheduled time to paint it really revives me, and helps me to keep trying to fit in painting time.

I'm encouraged, I finished 2 of the paintings that have been sitting around for a while.

Good luck with your goals everyone.

Khadres
08-05-2005, 10:22 PM
Good for you, PJ! I saw the painting and it's gorgeous! I think you're right...a painting buddy sure would help!

khourianya
08-05-2005, 11:34 PM
It's too bad we don't have a virtual painting buddy system here. It would be neat to be able to set up "virtual paint outs" Heck - it would be neat to be able to match people up who live near each other so they could go paint together once in a while...

Khadres
08-06-2005, 12:28 AM
Sure would! The nearest I know of is up around Denver tho... I've often thought it would be fun to find a small group to get together every week or so, but you wouldn't believe the derth of places to do that in this town. I don't have room here and meeting areas are few and far far between, especially for something that might make a bit of a mess. Oh, well. That's why WC is so vital for so many...shoot, I'd never have anybody to talk "shop" with otherwise!

Glad you are getting together with another WCer to paint...you won't regret it! Have fun for me!

Piper Ballou
08-07-2005, 12:39 AM
Decided to post this one here because it was really an experiment. I have never painted water before, this was first done with a wild watercolor underpainting (still experimenting with those too).
The nose on the turtle needs work, but I will probably not do any more to this one and may brush the pastel off.....but learned a lot.
9 by 12 Wallis paper
this is from the reference library, will have to look it up again to say thank you to the person who posted...
Decided my next goals is to finish a couple of dogs portraits that are hanging over my head....
piper

Khadres
08-07-2005, 07:59 AM
Cool sea turtle, Piper! ( I swear, your name demands a country and western song! You know...like "The Ballad of Piper Ballou"...woulda been great ala Johnny Cash! lol)

SuzySue, I'm pretty sure Austin is so changed from my last visit, not to mention since we lived there, that I'd likely have a hard time recognizing anything but the capitol and UT tower! It was our "home town" until the mid 70s, tho...still miss it sometimes, EXCEPT during the summer! :D

Orchidacea
08-07-2005, 08:59 AM
Piper, I think your turtle painting is great! The water looks real. As far as the turtle's nose--well, I don't know what a turtle's nose is supposed to look like, but the rest of the head looks good to me. I like how the colors make the skin actually look wet.

Piper Ballou
08-07-2005, 11:03 AM
Thanks Sooz and Kim for the comments. Sometimes when I work on something for so long I cannot see it anymore, so your eyes here really help

About my name....I had a boyfriend that would sing rhymes with my name outside my window all the time..LOL...did not much like my name while growing up, but I love it now, Ballou is my maiden name, I use it for my art now
piper

khourianya
08-07-2005, 12:07 PM
Wow - that sea turtle is stunning, Piper.

I have been really concentrating on painting this weekend. Finished up my entry for the WDE (the thread is in the softies forum - "Dutch Cow") and am really happy with how it turned out. I am planning a plein air session with another WCer on Tuesday so that should give me some more practice on my landscapes. Even after that one session, last month, I am already finding it easier to translate it across to painting from photo references...

Piper Ballou
08-07-2005, 03:00 PM
Thanks for your comments...I am feeling better about the water and the turtle, think I may post it in soft pastels and the animal forum....not sure what is bothering me about the painting, expect I really tried something totally new and was very unsure of myself
piper

Orchidacea
08-07-2005, 03:36 PM
I really like it, Piper. The water and the turtle are both grand. The only thing I might suggest is to brighten up the turtle's eye so we get a sense that he's looking at something. The detail on the eyelid is so fantastic, and the eye falls just a bit flat. I don't know if turtle's eyes have irises and pupils and whatnot, but I'm sure you could find a pic somewhere on the web! Maybe a highlight in it or something. I'm thinking that might just spark it to life.

Piper Ballou
08-07-2005, 03:46 PM
Kim, you are go right about the eye...I knew something was missing but could not see it....thanks...and gosh it was so simple
piper

SuzySue
08-07-2005, 10:02 PM
Sooz - I going to the next Austin Pastel Society meeting and going to take some classes by one of the members - so, Thanks

Well, so far I'm not doing to good on my goals - but I'll keep trying.

Sue

Khadres
08-07-2005, 10:21 PM
Hey, classes will be good, Suzy! That will help you with your goals all by itself! Let me know how the meeting goes! Wish I could be there!

CindyW
08-07-2005, 11:55 PM
Hi y'all,
Got home tonight, unpacked, and checked email and came here to say.....I survived the show! Goal accomplished.
In fact, we were asked to be in a second show in the next town over 2 days later. Pretty hectic, but we did it!
I'll check in later this week to update/check threads but just wanted to share that I sold the Stephen Phillips lake painting! and a small gallery/store took 3 others! and this being the busy season in Maine, I'm hoping she calls me looking for more because those 3 sold. The 3 she took were the Misty Pines, the Rangeley Field with the yellow building top left and yellow flower field, and the stormy sky over the lake painting, in case anyone was wondering.
Wow!
My husband sold 5 of his carved/painted fish so we had a darn good first show.
Maybe I'll try this again sometime soon.
Now, if only my daughter and I weren't coming down with sore throats and stuffy noses I could relax tomorrow!
Cindy

angecald
08-08-2005, 01:07 AM
Way to go, Cindy! :clap: :clap: :clap: I knew everyone would love your work. Congratulations to your husband, too. Both of you put your feet up and have a glass of wine.

Artistammy
08-08-2005, 10:12 AM
Cindy, That's great! Pamper yourself a little & head off that cold.
Tammy

Artistammy
08-08-2005, 10:18 AM
Sooz, I wonder if we could do a webcam thing where it seemed like we were painting together? Is your computer in your studio? My son plays games with other people where he talks on a microphone so you could even hear each other's voices. I too don't know anyone to paint with. I've kinda got used to it with WC but I still miss it.
Tammy

CindyW
08-08-2005, 11:16 AM
Thanks, Agnes and Tammy!
I posted info in Sandy's Summer Show thread as well.

The webcam sounds great to conference in an art buddy. I know this technology has been around for quite awhile but never looked into it.
Cindy

khourianya
08-08-2005, 12:43 PM
What a great idea, Tammy! If we could find a way to conference it, all of us with webcams could set up and paint together. I know I have one that I never use (I won it after having one of my animations appear on a national TV show...something about being in the top 300 members at ZedTV). I always figured that it would go to waste because no one would want to see me doing graphics work at 3am in my jammies with my hair in pigtails. My pastelling apron would be a much better sight I have no doubt. :D

Khadres
08-08-2005, 04:06 PM
Not sure how many one can gather together that way, but could be fun...as long as the camera is never aimed at ME! :eek:

khourianya
08-08-2005, 04:11 PM
I'm just thinking the same thing..I wonder if the video feature in MSN allows for more than two video connections to simultaneously run...it won't work on my mac, but I should haul out my PC laptop and see what i can figure. Yahoo messenger deos video too, I think..that might be an option as well..

If anyone feels like doing a trial run, we can PM to coordinate....

Artistammy
08-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Cori, I might could try it out tomorrow. I have to go to the nursing home now & I'm tired. I'll have to go hunt up the vid cam. We got one when our son went away to college but he's back & it got put away somewhere. I was just thinking of two painting together but if we could figure out more that would be great.
Sooz, the point is to have the camera aimed at you or at least your painting. That's half the fun of painting together. lol
Tammy

khourianya
08-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Well, sooz and I just tried out my webcam with yahoo messenger and it seems to work great...Sooz even got to meet a sleepy Abner! Of course, that was with just one camera - it would be good to see if it is smooth with more than one. I'd also like to see if we could get sound. If it works, we might just have a way to do a virtual paint out...

If anyone wants to test it out, PM me and i will add you to my list on Yahoo so we can see it in action.

cam also did some looking for me and there are some video conferencing programs that we might be able to use...I'll need to check into ease of use and if they cost anything...but that might be an option too.

Edited to add - Tammy, I guess we cross posted...If we can get a few people going, we could have the system in place to paint with whoever you want (1, 2 , 3...even 10 people). it would be like a virtual paint out network...

Khadres
08-08-2005, 06:36 PM
Yeah, that was way cool, Cori! Abner's a cutie! Well, I hate seeing myself on camera and hate my yucky voice too, but could aim the thing at the easel at least. I have to see if I've still got my old Logitech one too....

Khadres
08-08-2005, 06:39 PM
Hi y'all,
Got home tonight, unpacked, and checked email and came here to say.....I survived the show! Goal accomplished.
In fact, we were asked to be in a second show in the next town over 2 days later. Pretty hectic, but we did it!
Cindy

That's wonderful, Cindy! So happy both of you had so much success on your first showing! Well worth the effort!

Orchidacea
08-08-2005, 06:59 PM
I'm intrigued with the video conferencing idea. Wonder what a video cam would cost? Probably not a whole lot these days. Keep me posted on what you find out--I'm interested!

khourianya
08-08-2005, 08:54 PM
I have seen then for around $30 canadian at Wallyworld, so I am sure tehy are under $20 in the US...the quality might not be great, but it'd be a neat way to get things going...especially for people who are not near anyone they could paint with in real life...

I'm going to attempt a trial on MSN too...just to see. MSN will only work on a PC - I know this much, while Yahoo does work on both platforms...it's probably only an issue for me, since I am a mac geek.

I'm also investigating another option in a video conferencing server.

Bill Foehringer
08-09-2005, 10:41 AM
Design and print business cards! Pronto!!! The Port Isabel Library installed my paintings in their reading room and I do have an artist's bio and statement on the wall nearby but no cards and no website! So people cannot contact me yet. The reading room has not officially opened yet so I have this week to get the cards done and in the mail. I have Avery card blanks so just have to use their site, design, download and print. Sounds easy, just have to make the time. We have long-term house-guests. Niece has been given studio/puter room as her 'space'. Good thing I'm focussing on plein air painting, lol!
BillF

Khadres
08-09-2005, 01:30 PM
Sounds like you're making great headway with all your goals, Bill. Long term house guests can be a challenge, but the weather's still good, at least, and you're doing so well plein air that you shouldn't miss the studio space yet...at least not TOO badly.

Be sure and keep us posted on the library showing!

khourianya
08-09-2005, 10:17 PM
Well - I got out and did some plein air today with Lorna...the rain held off until just before I closed the trunk on the car to go home for the day. I posted my efforts in the PA forum!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=287675

Oh - and I want to add that today I hit 3000 posts here and tomorrow is my one year anniversary as a member. Looking back, I can't believe how far I have come in a year (I started working in pastel the week I signed up here).

My First Pastel Painting (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2608272&postcount=18)

If you'd asked me a year ago, I would never have thought I would still be painting regularly or that I would be to the point where I want to sell and enter competitions. I owe that to this place and I want to thank you all for making it such a wonderful place to be.

SuzySue
08-09-2005, 11:09 PM
Well, I managed to get in some simple sketching in today - I was in a training class for work. My booklet is full of quick sketches of the instructor.

Sue

khourianya
08-09-2005, 11:12 PM
lol - I bet they were flattered (if they knew) :D I am trying to keep up with my sketchbook too - not quite sketching daily but hope to get there soon.

Khadres
08-09-2005, 11:26 PM
Suzi, love the doggie pics...Buster cracks me up...PERFECT name!

Happy WC Anniversary, Cori! I didn't know that was your first painting, tho...I thought the one of the park bench was...doesn't matter, you've come a looooooong way since then and it HAS been fun, hasn't it? BTW, you've made WC a nicer place to hang out yourself! :D

khourianya
08-09-2005, 11:35 PM
Aww - thanks - that is so sweet. It has been alot of fun and keeps getting more and more fun by the day. I love having online art conspirators! :D

I think I did the park bench a couple of months after I started (right before Preston took me under his wing)...this one of the boats (and that's what they are - eek) doesn't even exist anymore. It was reeves softies on an unprimed canvas board. I couldn't understand why I was fighting with it so much - lol. Needless to say - I gessoed over the board or something...and the reeves were sold on ebay (for more than I paid for them - isn't it funny how that works?)

Piper Ballou
08-10-2005, 03:17 AM
Cori- isn't it fun to see how far you have come in a year... I joined WC in 2002 because I was looking for an art lesson for my class and I did started with pastels about the same time as you, so I am also fast approaching the end of my first year of pastels too, the end of this month....so congratulations or happy birthday to you, Cori

I took a class at the community college, but I have truly learned the most from you all here at WC, I think I have read every article and post here....it is fun to look back over the year and see where I came from too.
THought I would also include my first pastel, it is so fun to see the growth

piper

pjo
08-10-2005, 03:00 PM
Hi everyone, boy there has been a lot of posts since I was on here last, I'm not going to try to reply to everyone as I don't have that much time, but it is good to see so much activity in this goals thread!

Piper, your turtle is wonderful, so lifelike. It is fun to see your first pastel, only a year ago, wow.
Cori-I checked out your plein aire painting, what fun and your waterfall is right on.

Congrats on 1 year here, and 3000 posts, you are a busy lady.

I finished one this morning, and hope to finish another painting this week too. We will see. This one is pastel on Wallis paper and 18 X 24 http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2005/39207-IM002131coloradjs.JPG

Artistammy
08-10-2005, 03:44 PM
PJ, I really like your painting. The colors are wonderful.
Tammy

Khadres
08-10-2005, 04:23 PM
Tammy, that is an awesome painting...just the sort I like! Wonderful spacious feel to it! That one will not only sell, but might be a prize winner to boot!

Trilby
08-10-2005, 05:22 PM
PJ that is one beautiful painting. Gorgeous study of clouds and open spaces. Good inspiration to me as I have a cloud study laid out waiting for current paintings to be finished. I especially like the perspective and depth and your colors.
TJ

CindyW
08-10-2005, 05:48 PM
PJ, Beautiful, just beautiful!!! I NEED another southwest trip soon!
Piper, I like the sepia tone to your piece!
So, is anyone conferencing in art buddy time yet?? I'd love to hear how it works for you.
Bill, congrats on getting your work in the library, great for you!
Cindy

khourianya
08-10-2005, 05:58 PM
Sooz and I tested out the Webcam in Yahoo messenger, but no one else has contacted me to try out more than one webcam in either Yahoo or MSN. I'm at home all week so I'd love to be able to do some testing this week...

I keep coming up with more and more uses for such a system. I am thinking of setting up something outside WC to help people facilitate their virtual paintouts...

Khadres
08-10-2005, 09:18 PM
Could really be wonderful if we can get such a set-up going. I think we might need some guidelines, tho...like, do we have to do our hair and put on fancy clothes before going online? And do we need to clean house in case that shows in the background? Inquiring minds need to know!

khourianya
08-10-2005, 09:32 PM
None of that matters - a clean ouse is a sign of a disturbed mind and that is not conducive to art making...as for doing hair...well, you saw me the other day fresh out of the shower with my long stringy curls...if I did my hair, y'all still wouldn't know it :D

I think the big thing is going to be coordinating paint outs. It might end up being that I set up a yahoo group or something (like an outside forum) and people can join it to discuss when they can get together for paintouts...we don't really want to flood WC with this, I wouldn't think.

the other big thing is the technology. It'd be nice to have video and audio so people can scumble while they scumble. I don't think we can do that with Yahoo chat...it seems to be just video feed. I know we can do it on MSN, though, so that is always an option.

edited to add:
Ok - in about 3 minutes falt, I was able to set us up with a yahoo group...welcome to VPON - the Virtual Paint-Out Network!
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vpon/

If you'd like to join us and see how it'll work - feel free.

Piper Ballou
08-11-2005, 10:58 AM
Cori- I will join in this evening after school....should be interesting....

eyre
08-11-2005, 11:06 AM
I am late posting my August goals, but here they are.

1.) I am starting nursing classes and clinicals again in about a week or so. It is going to be hard to find time to paint between paperwork, hospital, and classes. My goal is to remember that I must allow for down time/relaxation, and hopefully I can find a way to keep painting regularly.

2.) I would like to try and participate in WDE.

scall0way
08-11-2005, 01:56 PM
Well I justed joined the VPON group. I guess another goal now will be to acquire a webcam, though I think that will have to wait until September at least. :)

Debbie C.

khourianya
08-11-2005, 02:39 PM
We've got 4 members so far over at VPON...the more the merrier, because then we can find people inour own timezones to paint with and start coordinating a real virtual paint-out. I was thinking it might be fun to kick us off with a WDE this weekend...I'll post more info over there once I see how many more people are up for it...

Kathryn Wilson
08-12-2005, 07:45 PM
Oh, pooh, the web cam won't work for me - my computer and studio are in two different locations. :(

khourianya
08-12-2005, 08:07 PM
aww..would it be possible to set up a small easel by your computer to work on? Then you could join us sometimes?

Piper Ballou
08-12-2005, 08:14 PM
My computer and art stuff are in seperate rooms..I am going to try to rig something up so I can join the fun

Kathryn Wilson
08-12-2005, 08:47 PM
hmmm .... might be able to work in oil pastels. Right now, my computer is in the bedroom - carpeted of course. We will see how I can something out, but not familiar with the technology. Should we be discussing that elsewhere?

Khadres
08-12-2005, 08:50 PM
Click on the icon below...then sign onto the group...:D

khourianya
08-12-2005, 08:57 PM
lol - yeppers - we have a little messages board over there - not a forum, but a place to discuss this venture without flooding WC! We're learning as we go, so if people know of a better way, then they should jup in and post it over there. I have been testing everything under the sun...well, as soon as I've found out about it anyway...

CindyW
08-15-2005, 12:26 PM
Ok, just reminding myself to get my website up and RUNNING!!! with a little help from my husband....between the two of us we just may get it going by the end of the week, yahoo!
Cindy

Khadres
08-15-2005, 01:53 PM
Be sure and let us know when you have your website online, Cindy!

Khadres
08-22-2005, 03:18 PM
Wow, it's been so deserted in here that the thread fell to the second page! I hope that means everyone is busily achieving their goals for the month! :D

khourianya
08-22-2005, 03:43 PM
hmm..I'd almost forgotten - truth be told. I'd been so busy wrapping up my old job, starting up VPON and then starting the new job - my goals had almost slipped my mind. I had to go back and see what I had posted.

The hard drive was completely dead so I had to re-scan everything. Just as well, as now I have really good images to work from. I do need to get a few borrowed back from people so I can include those in my active status application.

I did those 2 plein air pieces and had hoped to get out and do more...but the weatehr didn't cooperate on my time off. I may need to bump that ahead to early September when we go camping on the long weekend.

I guess I need to refocus myself and see what Ic an do about my goals in the next week or so. As much as I hate to say it, I think I need to stop the piece by piece project and start working on my own real paintings...people have lost interest int he project anyway (some have, others haven't but it isn't enough enthusiasm to keep it going forever)

Orchidacea
08-22-2005, 04:41 PM
I'm still sticking to my goal of drawing or painting every day. I missed one day, but that's not bad in the grand scheme of things.

I really think that setting this goal has made a big difference for me. I'll be doing it again!

my latest finished painting here... (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289871)

khourianya
08-22-2005, 04:54 PM
Beautiful sunflower, Kim. Glad to hear your goals are going well!

pjo
08-22-2005, 11:31 PM
Hi everyone, Hi Sooz, I haven't forgotten my goals, thanks for the reminder. I do have two on the softies page that I finished so I do feel like I am making progress. I don't know (haven't spent the time to figure it out yet) how to just put the page of where they are in here w/o uploading them 2 times, but I did do two.

Cindy, good luck on your website, I'm just doing one too, and will probably just go with artspan, since I don't have a great software program at home and again, am not sure I want to spend the time trying to figure it out by myself. My husband can fix or hookup anything, but when it comes to using the computer...well... lets just say my grandson can use it quite a bit better than grandpa.

Other than that I hope to finish at least one more painting this week, and am hoping to enter into the SW Pastel Societies show. The slides are due the 31st, so we will see.

Kim-I'll go see you sunflower next.

angecald
08-23-2005, 11:45 AM
Cindy and PJ, I'm eager to see your websites. Mine is with Artspan, and on the whole I'm quite pleased with them.

I have made some progress this month, sketched regularly and got a couple of ideas for new paintings. It's been difficult to get anything photographed because of the bathroom renovations. (Am I the only one that has the whole downstairs and the yard full of stuff when I'm photographing?)

About approaching commercial galleries, well...no. The little obstacles keep piling up. My printer has run out of a couple of colours of ink, and I haven't been able to get out to buy new cartridges. That sounds feeble even to me. Maybe I'm just afraid.

Merethe T
08-23-2005, 05:53 PM
Phew, guess I'm really the late starter this month, funny how the days just passes by sometimes! Good goals around, glad to see people are keeping busy working towards their goals,keep it up! Nice work too - gorgeous poppies Cori! And Piper - that turtle is wonderful, love it! PJ - beautiful piece, wish I could do a sky like that!

I did achieve some of my goals for July, did a couple of landscapes, a child portrait, got lots of photos for future refs, but didn't get the animal portraits done. Nearly finished one, but it's CP, so it doesn't count maybe? Might be able to sell it thow, along with two more. It's supposed to be the gift to the judges at a cat show later on, and initially they wanted cats painted on glass from me and a friend of mine. She however suggested I finish the cp-piece, and we'll offer them paintings instead. Would be fun if they accept,might result in a couple of commissions aswell, and would be the first sale I make. Exciting...

So, late as I am, my goals for August are to finish the cp-cat, finish a still life I'm working on, finish another cat portrait - and that's it!
In addition - my primary goal is to paint on my days off from work.
Acctually, I should try to get a marketing folder done, especially if the cat show people want my painting. We'll see.....

Happy painting everyone!

And oh, I did join the Vpon group - definately a goal to participate in some paint-outs!

Khadres
08-23-2005, 06:05 PM
Glad you joined up on VPON, merethe...it's going to be lots of fun, I think. And yes, ANY kind of art work can be part of your goals; quite often other media turn out to support our pastel work very well. If you post your CPs over in the CP forum, you can give us a link to it here. I'm planning to dabble in some CP when I don't have time to get down to the pastel studio...looks like fun!

Merethe T
08-24-2005, 09:44 AM
VPON really is a great idea,perfect for people like me who don't have any painting buddys nearby. Generally very few people are into pastels in Norway, I don't know of anyone who use them as their primary medium. Watercolours, oils and acrylic seems to be the choise of most people. Think of all the fun they're missing out on.... :)

I've been lurking in the Cp forum for some time now, and have posted my first try-outs with the pencils - I like them, but need some gettin-used to and practise! Anyway, I've almost reached another goal then, my CP-cat are close to finished. I have a day off from work today, should be painting but here I am roaming the rooms of WC - anyone know about that structured-work thing I've heard so much about??!! :evil: :D

Hehe, gonna check out the softie forum and after that get busy on some peaches waiting at my easel, I think..... :wink2:

khourianya
08-30-2005, 12:01 PM
Well, here we are at the end of the month already! How'd everyone do?

I managed to get my paintings all re-scanned (and i will be makiing a disk backup this week). I decided that I need a couple more paintings before I can apply for my active status, but I will make that my goal for September (which marks our 1 year anniversary of the goals thread :D )

I have been painting more and I did do one more plein air piece in August. I also helped get VPON off the ground which will hopefully get alot more of us painting regularly and working towards our painting goals.

Trilby
08-30-2005, 12:33 PM
I always set my goals higher than I a Sagitarius can reach, but Sags always aim high. I have completed two large paintings and most of a third and laid out a couple of small ones. I took the mat class and cut perfect corners. A friend gave me those frames I've mentioned and I have gotten several works framed up. Very satisfying to look at it and know the whole package is my work. Haven't gotten a thing done in the house which is now messier than before. But I don't stop painting and for me that is the main thrust. I'm starting a new venture scratch art. Should be interesting. Won't be forsaking the pastels though. There is always September--and November. I am inspired to clean one room. Mostly it's bagging up now dead paperwork and tossing it, filing some stuff that's scattered on the floor, moving out a desk and installing my art stuff so I have a dedicated studio. Right now I'm readying work for 3 shows.
TJ

khourianya
08-30-2005, 01:41 PM
A dedicated space will be nice for you, TJ. Iknow I have really been enjoying my new space.

Khadres
08-30-2005, 04:58 PM
Sounds like lots of us have done good this month....I even managed to get one sketch done! Woohoo! I know I know...I'm ashamed of myself for not doing more, but with the paintouts, maybe I won't an excuse anymore of being lonely. :D

CindyW
08-30-2005, 08:48 PM
Whew! I haven't been here in so long! It's amazing what actually meeting a deadline will do to your "oomph" afterwards! I decided to take a break for a couple weeks and just hang with my daughter....oh, uh huh, yeah, just hanging, right there along with the daily chores. :p

Thanks for the interest in my website, Agnes, PJ, and Sooz.....my website feels primitively simple with its content, like I'm a newbie just starting out...and so I AM....... BUT!!! it's up and running! Thanks to my technically talented husband. It's a start at least, with many more iterations to come, probably a bit more sophisticated, I'm thinking. It's pretty exciting to finally see it out in cyber world, actually. :music::music::music:
http://www.wentzellcreative.com/CindyFineArt/CindyFinelArt.htm

I've created really nice hard cover photo albums a few times for my family through an online photobook company that look splendid. Some of you who have much larger collections of work done could look into for your own coffee table book or for shows! Of course, the cost per is too expensive to actually print many. But, it would be a great presentation for shows since it looks so nice, nicer than a photo album.

TJ, fellow Sag, NOW who's making who tired?? :rolleyes: You are inspiring me to get back into action once again.

Cindy

Kathryn Wilson
08-30-2005, 09:07 PM
Hi all - haven't been here for awhile - mostly because I'm hanging my head in shame. I have not fulfilled my year obligation of painting 50 paintings - not even close. I think I am in the mid-30's.

Sooz, are we going to do a year-end evaluation as I think this is our Anniversary month coming up?

Orchidacea
08-30-2005, 10:00 PM
Cindy, your website looks great and your work is GORGEOUS! I was sitting here drooling onto my keyboard....you may have to give me just a small painting in exchange for damage done....

Regarding my own goals--I have managed to paint or draw, if only for a few minutes, nearly every day this month (think I missed 4 days). That's not bad in my book, especially considering my usual pattern of painting for two days, then doing nothing for a year or so...I feel like I'm getting serious about all this for the first time, and I like it. Setting a goal made a difference.

Now if I could just complete things a little more quickly....

angecald
08-30-2005, 11:03 PM
It's certainly been a productive month for lots of you. I can't say I've produced a lot of art, but to be fair to myself, the living room ceiling did fall in and I had to swing into a complete bathroom renovation on a moment's notice. So I did a few sketches and not much else.

The upside is that I'm so frustrated from not painting that I'm determined to do nothing but PAINT during September. I will be a painting machine!

Kim, if you have established a habit of working almost every day, you've accomplished a lot. Congratulate yourself.

Kyle, 30 paintings plus is a very respectable achievement. It's more than two a month. "50" is just a number. The main thing is to establish a pattern of working regularly, and you must have done that to produce so much.

Cindy, love your website, and your paintings too. You are so talented.

TJ, you seem to be hitting your stride, focusing your energy - all that good stuff! You go, girl! My house is cleaner than usual, which is probably why my easel is empty. Keep choosing the easel.

Trilby
08-31-2005, 12:25 AM
Cindy, there is nothing primitive about your website or your work. I like the simplicity of the website. It functions easily and clearly. All of your work is gorgeous. I'm impressed with how much richness you get into a relatively small space. I really like your written sections too. There is so much heart showing on your website. Agnes, I don't know how focused I am, compelled is more the word, but I will feel so much better to get some of the clutter out of my rooms and some order into them. Making a studio is a good start. I may have to take some time off from painting to do it though.
TJ

CindyW
08-31-2005, 08:53 PM
Thanks, TJ, Agnes, and Kim, for your warm comments on the site. I'm just glad it's up and running!
TJ, I have to have some space that's not cluttered in the house or else I tighten up everytime I walk past all the clutter and it puts me in a rather anxious state. But a studio that's devoted to you and your art doesn't seem to be so anxiety provoking when it's messy somehow! I hope you take a little time to get that space you need set up.
Agnes, the house stuff just throws itself right in your face and there just isn't time for anything else! I can understand your frustration....when one discovers the joy of creating, it's the discovery of the heart and soul of him/herself. Very emotional.... and the pull is tremedous. I know I've taken some time away from the easel but not a day goes by that I don't think of what's next what's next??? When when when??? So, happy September to you tomorrow!
Kim, ok, exchange....exchanging...both exchanging paintings...hmmmm.....an interesting thought. (Ha...see how I put YOU into the equation???) Sooz participated in a post card art event here that I am intrigued by. I may do that next year because I'd surely love to get art from/give art to so many talented people I've met here through such an exchange. Did you read about that yet? Check out the WDE weekend drawing events...Cori participates lots there.
Kat, what?!! you have done 30 so far! That's an incredible amount of work to do while working and running a business alongside everyday life! Not one bit shabby, very admirable!
Cori, you are a whirlwind! I am amazed at how much you pack in a day...can I take lessons? How's the puppy doing with training?
Merethe, waiting for the peaches to show up soon!
PJ, did you get the slides done for the SW show??
Sooz, even one sketch is better than none!!! that's a firm nod and applause for you! As I said, I'm taking a break but time does slip by awful fast. Before I know it, it'll be a month gone by and....oh, my, it IS a month since the show!!! How'd that happen?
Okeedoke.
Seeya in next month's goals.
Cindy

Khadres
08-31-2005, 10:08 PM
Cindy, the first and foremost thing to remember about web design is to keep it simple...elegant is fine, but simple and easy for the viewer to enjoy. You've accomplished that! Lovely site, indeed. Don't fancy it up TOO much. I've seen some that had so much junk flashing and littering the screen that the artwork just fades into the woodwork. That's NOT what one wants!

Well, I got my piggie done last night on the critter nite paintout, what fun! More of you should try to join us sometime...it really is neat just having the sense of quiet companionability even if we can't all see/hear each of the others all the time.

Let's make our anniversary the END of September, since we didn't have the full month of Sept. last year...what say we all try to reflect on last years wins and losses, and ponder the next year's goals and share that with the rest of us by the end of September. BTW, I'm sure not gonna make my 100 paintings this year either! But...was nice to try for it and I'll have to tally it up but I THINK I had 40 odd that I DID get done and that's more than I probably would have done without the Goalposts.

khourianya
09-01-2005, 12:43 AM
Cori, you are a whirlwind! I am amazed at how much you pack in a day...can I take lessons? How's the puppy doing with training?

Sure - Lesson one - fill plate. lesson two - bite off more than you can chew lesson three - swallow pride lesson four - be filled with satisfaction! Ha ha - i thought it would be hard to come up with that many cliches related to eating!!!

Truthfully - I don't know how i pack so much in - but i always say I am the queen of time management. It has been hard lately because at my new job I do not have access to my personal email and I used to check it 3 times a day so i could plan my evening activities (like volunteering and professional organizations) around what came in. Now I can't and so I have to spend an hour sorting through emails and planning. It has thrown me right off. :)

Pups is doing okay. We've been really working with him the past two weeks to curb his jumping up. the real test is this weekend when we are going camping with 3 youngsters (ages 1, 2, & 4). I think he'll do well, though.

CM Neidhofer
09-01-2005, 11:51 AM
Cindy, do you have an address for any of those photobook sites? I'd be interested in checking them out. Thanks.

Christine

khourianya
09-01-2005, 03:01 PM
I have considered getting a photobook made through iPhoto on my Mac. I thought it might be a nice way to do an annual catalogue of my paintings because I canjust do all of the layout in iPhoto and then send it away for printing.

I also nioticed that Epson has a kit you can buy to do a photobook.
http://www.epson.ca/cgi-bin/ceStore/ProductMediaSpec.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=Overview&oid=-12741&category=Paper+%26+Media