PDA

View Full Version : Project Discussion: Aug05 Piece by Piece in Pastel

khourianya
08-01-2005, 06:54 AM
A new project has been announced in the WetCanvas! project system!

Title: Aug05 Piece by Piece in Pastel
Project Leader: khourianya
Relative Difficulty: Medium
Type Restrictions: Painting
Medium: Pastels
Subject: Not Applicable
Days open for signups: 30
Maximum participants allowed: 15

Description:

No waiting period this month - let's just have fun with this new challenge! I hve significantly reduced the number of spots this month so I hope we can fill it up!

In the book "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards, she describes a drawing technique called "squaring up". In this technique, you take a square of a picture and capture every detail within that square. Though it may not look like much of anything, if you do this to an entire picture (capturing it all square by square), you will have all of the detail of the complete image.

In this month's Project, we will split a photograph into 15 pieces. Each person will be given a piece of the photo and asked to complete it by the end of the month. As the pieces are submitted, both participants in this project and others in the forum are encouraged to try to guess what the actual photo is of. By signing up for the project and accepting a piece, you are making a commitment to finish your piece and contribute to the puzzle we are creating.

I will number all of the pieces, but it will be somewhat randomized so as to not make it too easy to guess. Please submit your finished piece in the "Final Images" section and use the assigned piece number as the title for the piece. I will upload progress images of the painting in progress as pieces are finished. It is not required that you upload progress images as you go.

The piece you will receive is going to seem really small. That is part of the challenge of the project. The goal is to exactly copy what you see.

Once all of the pieces are submitted, I will "stitch" them together in Photoshop to reveal the finished painting to us all...as well as the famous artist and painting that was used as inspiration.

This project will last for exactly one month and is open to both soft and oil pastels. The paintings should be completed in a square format only (you can choose whichever size you want - just make sure it is square) and I will PM the individual pieces to each participant as they sign up.

Let's have a bit of fun...and get down to painting.

Additional Information:

For more information on the project: Click here! (http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_details&proj_id=927)

Remember, in order to help keep the discussions on projects organized, you should post your questions, suggestions, and comments on submitted work here in this thread. By doing this, we allow other non-project efforts to not get "pushed down" by a swarm of project-related threads.

emagineer
08-01-2005, 07:49 AM
Gads...I am the first? Must be the earliest person around today.

Sure hope this month's photo doesn't include people or animals. Take pity on me Cori.....

Actually, I am posting to say thanks for taking this on again. We as participants did a lot better for you in July....even if we grumped all the way through.

khourianya
08-01-2005, 03:10 PM
Thanks Sandy. Rest assured - no people or animals...this month is something as challenging as last month, but I have prepared you a bit in the past months....

It is another photograph, because I think we are ready for them at this point. I'd like to also challenge you all to try this method on your own photos this month and post them in the soft pastel studio. Just grid up your photo and paper and copy each grid square over to the paper. Let's see if this exercise is transfering over! Plus - it gets you painting and participating - which is fun in itself.

I will send out the pieces sometime today...just getting myself organized (and still hoping that last piece will be submitted for the July project so i can wrap up a completed project for once! :D )

This month I am going to do something a little different to see if it willwork for future months and allow me to still do some painting on my own. I will only be updating the puzzle once a week - Friday night (if I am going away for a weekend, i will update it on the Thursday). I will also comment on all of the newly submitted pieces at the same time. The only way it affects you guys is that I won't comment right away and you may have to wait a bit. I want to make this project be as non-time consuming as possible for me so I think this might help alot. With luck it will work so well that i will be able to keep the project going indefinitely.

Sound good?

I also reduced the number of pieces this month to give us a chance of filling up quickly and nobody necessarilly having to do a second piece (which I have truly appreciated tese past few months)

So let's have some fun - get signed up and we will get cracking later today!

scall0way
08-01-2005, 03:16 PM
Well, since there are no trees or leaves involved I guess I'll give it the old college try again. LOL.

Debbie C.

lenagh
08-01-2005, 04:23 PM
This sounds like a great idea. Just joined - while searching for more info on pastels... and as it's no people or animals I'm keen on giving it a go.
Gesa

khourianya
08-01-2005, 05:31 PM
lol - you guys realize that next month might end up being people AND animals...sine it looks like that's what y'all need to work on! :p

I lied - there are 3 people in the photo - but they don't look like people, just blurred blobs...you should be able to handle them if they end up in your piece.

Oh - and if you do take up the challenge of doing a painting or two from your own photos - I'd like you to post them here too...thanks.

And welcome to Wet canvas, Gesa - prepare to become addicted!

ok - one last thing...shall we try to fill this project up in a couple of days? There's only 15 spots and we are halfway there...let's go for it!!! :D

CM Neidhofer
08-01-2005, 06:30 PM
Tried to post earlier today, but couldn't. I'm in again! :wave:

Christine

khourianya
08-01-2005, 06:41 PM
Yay - Glad you can join us again, Christine.

I'm gonna send out the pieces sometime this evening...

khourianya
08-01-2005, 09:07 PM
Okay guys - I just sent out the pieces to everyone who has signed up so far. There's only 7 pieces left so people should sign up quickly if they really want to participate this month.

I will send out pieces again tomorrow night to those who sign up in the next 24 hours!

Piper Ballou
08-01-2005, 09:10 PM
Cori- I am going to wait until the end of the week to sign up..I know there might not be any pieces left but that is a chance I will take and I do want to give other people a chance to sign up
piper

khourianya
08-01-2005, 09:12 PM
You're probably really busy getting ready for back to school, so I understand completely - and you never know...there might still be a piece for you then...

Diane Cutter
08-01-2005, 10:04 PM
Well, I was greedy and signed up right away. I took so long to finish mine last month, that I felt I needed to prove that I really can finish before the deadline this month. This month's piece looks a lot, lot, lot easier...

Diane

khourianya
08-02-2005, 12:08 AM
Hardly greedy - if I wanted last month's people to wait - I would have imposed a sign up delay on them! :) I did that the first couple of months...now I'd rather just see the project fill up as quickly as possible.

emagineer
08-02-2005, 10:02 AM
Where? Didn't get a piece yet? Can you check on this?

And...will probably get those people "blobs". True to a teacher/professional, you caught us! *****lol - you guys realize that next month might end up being people AND animals...sine it looks like that's what y'all need to work on! ***** Definitely sounds like there is more than one on here evading people and animals. Me thinks I will quit whining......

Sandy

lenagh
08-02-2005, 10:14 AM
Well... I certainly got 1.5 of those blobs, Sandy.... so chances are that you're getting the other ones ;)

BeckyMc
08-02-2005, 11:58 AM
I waited a day, but I'm back in for this month! I was pretty pleased with my trees, so I can't wait to get my new puzzle! Thanks for hosting this Cori!

Orchidacea
08-02-2005, 06:47 PM
This is a new concept for me...and I didn't allow myself to go look at psat months' projects; I just signed up! Someone please tell me this won't be TOO hard...I hate to be the one to mess it up for everyone!

Orchidacea
08-02-2005, 06:52 PM
ooooh, I just went and looked at some past months...this is gonna be fun! Cori, can you possibly have time for anything in your life other than WC?

khourianya
08-02-2005, 07:16 PM
lol..I certainly try - though if you look at my life in the scumble, you'll wonder how :D

I'll send out the pieces in a couple of hours...the project is just about full now so maybe 2 more people will sign up in the next 2 hours and we can just go from there.

I am antsy - my easel is supposed to arrive today and the purolator website said they were here but I wasn't so it is headed back to the depot...howeer - they didn't leave a card on my door so I have my fingers crossed that they will make another swing by here before heading back for the day! That will be the finishing touch on my new studio!

Orchidacea
08-02-2005, 07:47 PM
Woo-hoo! You'll have to post a pic of the finished studio. I just got an easel for my birthday--my son got it for me--it is sooo much better than propping a drawing board on my lap!

khourianya
08-02-2005, 07:50 PM
no such luck :( I have to go all the way over there to pick it up...but at least i get it tonight!!! :D I'll definitely be posting pictures! I've been working off a little table easel for a long time...this one will be like a luxury item for me!

khourianya
08-02-2005, 10:34 PM
I just sent out the pieces for the last 24 hours of sign ups...now back to setting up my new easel :D

khourianya
08-03-2005, 12:10 PM
ok - we are down to the last space in the project..anyone wanna sign up today and I can send off the last of the pieces this evening?!?!

Then we can all get down to painting.

lenagh
08-03-2005, 04:15 PM
Hi again,
what size of paper are people who've been taking part in these projects for a while been working in? I'd be curious to know. I usually work on 50x70cm paper, and am tempted to just go for a 50x50 - esp. as there is a fair bit of detail to put in.

khourianya
08-03-2005, 04:18 PM
You can work as big or as small as you want. That's the fun of doing this project virtually. We don't have to piece them together in real life so it means we can work whatever way feels best to us! I typically work about 8 inches by 8 inches, but that's just me. I may work even smaller this month just to loosen up a bit...

johndill01
08-03-2005, 06:17 PM
I have tried a couple of different sizes. The first and second one was 6 x 6, then I dropped the size to 4 x 4 for the rest. This one may want a larger size, possibly an 8 x 8. Just takes a little longer for the larger sizes. But what else do I have to occupy my time. :D

BeckyMc
08-03-2005, 09:47 PM
Last time I did about 5 x 5, but it's hard for me to work small with the oil pastels. I'll do 8 x 8 on this one, due to the detail.

scall0way
08-03-2005, 10:19 PM
Okay, it's not a Rembrandt, or even a Degas pastel, but I have a super busy weekend coming up, and next week will be hectic, and then it's off to the Maritimes for three weeks, and August will be gone.

So I figured I had better start the ball rolling here and get my piece finished while I had a moment or two. I may try to refine it later if I have time, but if not this is the image you will have to live with. :D

And I'll say one thing. I really liked this one *far better* than those two crazy leaf pix I got last month! LOL

Debbie C.

khourianya
08-03-2005, 10:26 PM
The project is now full - no second pieces needed this month (hopefully) - if someone drops out then we may have need, but I am going to ask that if anyone needs to drop out, that they formally quit the project so someone else can sign up.

As promised - I will only be commenting and updating the puzzle once a week, so you guys will have to wait until Friday night to see where Debbie's piece goes. :)

lenagh
08-04-2005, 04:17 AM
Thanks for your replies about paper size... much appreciated :)

emagineer
08-04-2005, 07:10 AM
Debi....that was quick. And since I have what I think is the piece next to you there is at least some idea in my head as to what the top of the finished pic looks like.

Yup...subject matter is far better. Although I can still whine....sure a lot of detail in a 1 inch square.

As for working size....and I'm not the professional.... 4 X 4 seems to work well. Tried larger and got way too involved in detail, which I finally decided wasn't necessary since the original is so small. 4" is about as small as I can go.

Orchidacea
08-04-2005, 08:34 AM
Debi--That's great! You broke the ice...now I can have a go at my piece (when I get home from work tonight). I'm sure I have the piece just to the left of yours. Time to break out the t-square and get going!

scall0way
08-04-2005, 11:12 AM
Wow, a 4x4 piece? I can't imagine working that tiny! Mine was 10x10 and feels like a bare minimum to me. :D

Debbie C.

khourianya
08-04-2005, 11:14 AM
I guess I should do mine tonight. By Friday night, we will have lots done on the puzzle...

khourianya
08-05-2005, 10:31 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=49445

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/927/completed/62165/tn_small_august_2005.jpg

Ohhh - a perfect fit in our first submission of the month. Great job, Debbie. Now go try the piece by piece method on one of your own photos (or one from the RIL, if you want)

and here is the start of the puzzle...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2005/47843-aug01.jpg

I had hoped to get my piece dne this week, but I guess I'll have to do it this weekend!

khourianya
08-07-2005, 01:58 PM
k, guys - I'm doing my piece today...anyone want to join me for a "virtual paint out" of our pieces??? Just do them today and post them before midnight!!!

Orchidacea
08-07-2005, 02:33 PM
Okay, I'll do mine when I get home from work. In fact....it's really quiet in here today (the store I manage) and I'm working alone....maybe I'll start sketching my square now. Shhhhh, don't tell anyone....

khourianya
08-07-2005, 02:42 PM
The secret is safe with me :D

khourianya
08-10-2005, 12:16 AM
Soo - how's everyone doing this week? Have you had time to work on your piece? I'm not updating til Friday evening - so if you want to be added to this weeks update, make sure you get you rpiece in (I usually do the update at about 7pm mtn time)

lenagh
08-10-2005, 08:18 AM
Hi everybody. I finally managed to sort out a digital camera and just uploaded my entry... et voila:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/10-Aug-2005/65084-Boatsfinal.jpg

After seeing that most of you work with relatively small paper sizes, I scaled down to 30x30m cm light grey ingres paper (also felt that that about the smalled size I could manage :rolleyes:)... It's done with Unisons and a few contes for first layer. I can see how a larger size means I'm tempted to put mor detail in...
I enjoyed the subject very much, esp the water and the ropes across the painting, not sure though if my attempt at hiding those 1.5 people on the scaffolding worked well enough :)

scall0way
08-11-2005, 12:59 PM
Oh lovely, lenagh. I'm so glad my piece will not be all alone and lonely in the puzzle any longer. This looks like it's going to be a gorgeous picture.

Debbie C.

khourianya
08-11-2005, 01:37 PM
It does, doesn't it. I am really looking forward to putting togetehr the pieces we have this week, tomorrow evening. Should be very gorgeous already...

scall0way
08-11-2005, 04:24 PM
Cool, I hope I get to see the update before I log off and head to Canada! But I'm spending Saturday night in a motel in Bangor, ME that has wireless internet access, so I may be able to catch up there. :)

khourianya
08-11-2005, 04:26 PM
Well - I am off tomorrow so I could do the update a bit earlier for you...I'll aim to have it up by 4 pm my time...that shouldbe around dinner time where you are...

so odd that your VPON icon isn't working...the link works, but the text is where the picture should be....hmmm. Can you do me a favour and see if there is a line return in your signature. I wouldn't think it would affect it, but it's possible...

scall0way
08-11-2005, 09:23 PM
I guess that must have been it Cori. Thanks. The sig is looking good now. :D

khourianya
08-11-2005, 09:25 PM
Yay - I'm so happy it worked!!! Looks great!!! I hope it works for sooz too now...and anyone else who adds it.

Maybe we'll have to have a piece by piece virtual paint out too...

khourianya
08-12-2005, 04:02 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=49497

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/927/completed/47843/tn_6_khourianya.jpg

my effort - eek - very very bright and very very off...

khourianya
08-12-2005, 04:03 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=49526

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/927/completed/65084/tn_Boatsfinal.jpg

very nice work! Great colour choices.

khourianya
08-12-2005, 04:04 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=49543

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/927/completed/50746/tn_Aug_Piece3_.jpg

For working on a new and untested ground - you did very well! Nice work.

khourianya
08-12-2005, 04:04 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=49492

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/927/completed/65283/tn_47843-13.jpg

Perfect fit! Glad you ahd fun on the virutal paintout...me too

khourianya
08-12-2005, 04:05 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=49541

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/927/completed/55259/tn_wcaug07.jpg

ohhh
i love your water and refections!!!

khourianya
08-12-2005, 04:07 PM
And I am a bit early with the update, but here it is for this week:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Aug-2005/47843-aug02.jpg

great job guys!

scall0way
08-12-2005, 04:13 PM
ooh, so nice to see it coming together before I leave on vacation. Why it may be all done by the next time I see it. I really *love* what I see so far. What a great reference photo it must be, but I'm a sucker for water and boats and things like that. :)

lenagh
08-12-2005, 04:56 PM
This is really exciting! The pieces look great... sorry for being so general to start with. All these water reflections look very interesting, and so do the buildings. Am really curious about the rest of the puzzle!

khourianya
08-15-2005, 10:47 PM
k - how y'all doing this week? Everyone getting a start on their piece. The monthi shalf over now, so you only have another 15 days...just a reminder

khourianya
08-17-2005, 08:36 PM
k, guys - I am going camping this weekend so I am thinking I may not do the update until Monday..that way y'all have the weekend to do your piece if you want. I will post comments and updated puzzle monday evening. Just a heads up.

khourianya
08-22-2005, 09:45 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=49628

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/927/completed/22002/tn_Aug_pc_by_pc_11.jpg

You did fabulously, kory. especially for "faking it". I especially love the name you gave to the boat!

khourianya
08-22-2005, 09:50 PM
And our update...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Aug-2005/47843-aug03.jpg

Only one new piece this week - where are the rest of you? We're running out of time and I am feeling like I am conversing with myself in this thread :D

khourianya
08-22-2005, 10:18 PM
I have decided that tis will be the last month for the piece by piece project. We've had a six month run and I am going to refocus myself and get painting again. It has been a fun six months, though, and I do hope that sometime later on I will be able to fire up your enthusiasm with another fun project.

For now, let's just look to getting all of the remaining pieces done and submitted and wrapping up tis project in style!!!

BeckyMc
08-23-2005, 06:10 PM
This is coming along great - I'm almost done with my piece - I'll upload before Friday - I promise!

Diane Cutter
08-23-2005, 06:17 PM
Me, too... before Friday!

Diane

johndill01
08-23-2005, 07:39 PM
Cori; I am really going to miss this thread, but as with all good things, an end must come. Thanks so very much for all the time that you have put into this project. I for one am proud to say that I have learned and grown tremendously. Much more confident in just picking up the pastels and pushing the dust. Most of the last 2 or three were done this way. Either a minimum sketch with charcoal, or just pick up a color and apply the stroke. Makes me think that I could even paint this way with a good set of brushes and oils.

It has been a fun ride. Would hope that there can be more fun projects in the future.

THANKS LOADS!!!! :wave: :clap: :clap: :clap:

John

khourianya
08-23-2005, 10:32 PM
I'm going to miss it too, John. I am so happy that you have noticed a difference in the way you paint. Ironically, i have been noticing that I am relying less and less on the gridding method since starting this project. go figure. However, I am now really seeing things when i paint them and that makes me happy.

I am mulling around some ideas for a new project, but i don't think i will start one up for a few months. Give myself some time to get serious about my painting for a bit. I'll be back, though. I have had too much fun being a project hostess! I know Kat is looking to have something different as a pastel project too, so if anyone has any ideas for new and different projects - feel free to talk it over with Kat (kyle). She was a huge help when I was aiming to get this one off the ground a few months ago.

Orchidacea
08-23-2005, 10:38 PM
I promise I'll get mine done. I've been avoiding it because it looks so complicated, lol. Cori, you've worked really hard with this one. You've earned some time for yourself!

Ron Biggs
08-24-2005, 11:53 AM
Hi Cori,

Thank you very much for doing these projects I’m going to miss them, they’ve been great fun and I’ve learnt a lot. With my work load during the summer period I find little time for painting and having these projects gave me something small to paint without having to decide on what to paint, how to compose etc. and as a novice seeing how other people interpret their piece and then watch the pieces come together has been most enlightening.

A Big Thank You :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

khourianya
08-26-2005, 09:14 PM
I will post the update on monday evening (possibly sunday if I am feeling bored and have time) that should allow all of you, who said you'd do it this weekend, the time to finish your piece :evil:

I suppose I should be sending out a PM to everyone too

lenagh
08-27-2005, 05:01 AM
Oh... what a shame that I discovered it so late - I really enjoyed doing it - many thanks for organising these projects, Cori - it looks like a good deal of work involved in doing it.
Thank you!

Piper Ballou
08-27-2005, 03:56 PM
Just checking in for the update on this month's project...looking really good.
piper

Orchidacea
08-28-2005, 07:56 PM
I'm working on it right now. Turning off the computer....going over to the easel...here i go....

Orchidacea
08-28-2005, 11:21 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=49738

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/927/completed/41088/tn_aug_piece_by_piece.jpg

I'm done, I'm done! Wasn't so bad after all. The colors look extremely bright here, though...they're a tad more muted IRL. I see mine goes right smack in the middle--now I'm really glad I finished it, lol.

kas74
08-29-2005, 07:37 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=49773

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/927/completed/18820/tn_PICT1778.JPG

Whew, finally! When I got my piece and saw that it was all water and reflections I nearly cried! So here we are several attempts later. I hate to add it to all these amazing drawings!

kim

Orchidacea
08-29-2005, 08:21 PM
That looks like a tough one, Kim. Nice work!

khourianya
08-29-2005, 08:41 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=49726

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/927/completed/66817/tn_Untitled-1_1.jpg

I love this - it is so colourful and whimsical. Great job!

khourianya
08-29-2005, 08:42 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=49716

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/927/completed/45982/tn_DSCN0854.JPG

Photrealist - photoschmealist...I love this Becky! It has a real painterly feel to it 9and the project IS all about interpretinf what you see)

khourianya
08-29-2005, 08:44 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=49773

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/927/completed/18820/tn_PICT1778.JPG

This is awesome - even though the reflection scared you, you did a great job with them. The trick to interpreting the reflections is to just look at them as colours and shapes...

khourianya
08-29-2005, 08:46 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=49738

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/927/completed/41088/tn_aug_piece_by_piece.jpg

WOW, Kim! Look at this! You did a really great job with this piece! :clap:

(I'll be back shortly with the updated puzzle)

khourianya
08-29-2005, 08:52 PM
Here is our fourth update! Two more days and we wrap up the project so you 4 stragglers should get yours in :D I will PM to remind you all tonight...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/29-Aug-2005/47843-aug04.jpg

Diane Cutter
08-30-2005, 01:27 AM
Tomorrow, definitely...

Diane

Piper Ballou
08-30-2005, 09:56 AM
this is turning out fantastic...some of the pieces could be paintings all by themselves
are you starting one for next month or is this the last month
piper

khourianya
08-30-2005, 10:19 AM
This is the last month. I am finding that I have so many little projects going that I have no time to paint anymore. I'm pretty much going to be having VPON as my only project (because when we are having the paintouts - it is still painting time).

I am hoping that in a few months I might be able to start up a different kind of project. My brain is always in overdrive so I do have a few ideas.

lenagh
08-30-2005, 01:46 PM

Oh, I like this a lot, esp. the reflections in the water and the use of the whites!

Orchidacea
08-30-2005, 06:18 PM
Thanks, Cori and Lenagh, for your kind comments. (BTW, there isn't a bit of white in this one...it's all really light blues. Can't really tell though, can you?)

I just love our (almost) finished project! What fun to see it come together. I'm so sorry this is the last month...after all my procrastinating, I really enjoyed it, lol.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: to Cori for working so hard for so long on this project.

jab
08-31-2005, 12:48 PM
This was my first try at a project. Was such fun-described the project to someone as maybe a combination of a doing a jigsaw puzzle and a patchwork quilt. The individual segments are impressive in themselves and fun to watch them fit together.. Thanks, Cori-for making it happen. Sorry it is the last one.
Jane Best

Diane Cutter
08-31-2005, 07:00 PM
I've got my piece done, but my camera is on the fritz... Am borrowing one tomorrow morning and will upload as soon as possible... arrgggg... Sorry!!!

Diane

khourianya
08-31-2005, 08:13 PM
No worries - It appears we have several stragglers anyway (despite my PM). I will likely be wrapping this one up over the next week or so.

Grunge
08-31-2005, 09:16 PM
I have decided that tis will be the last month for the piece by piece project. We've had a six month run and I am going to refocus myself and get painting again. It has been a fun six months, though, and I do hope that sometime later on I will be able to fire up your enthusiasm with another fun project.

For now, let's just look to getting all of the remaining pieces done and submitted and wrapping up tis project in style!!!

how sad to see it come to an end, but also in the same breath...a relief. I could not help but sign up each time and knew I would continue to do so as long as the projects kept coming. If I learned nothing else...it was a lesson in the dreaded deadline. 30 some odd days to complete a seemingly simple project. 30 days is plenty. after the first 15 are gone there is still plenty of time. and on down to the wire I find myself each time. somehow busy with other things until the final moment. Bad girl!!! Bad, Bad, Bad!!!!

Thank you Cori, for being such a great host. It has sincerely been a pleasure (even with the deadline).

Diane Cutter
09-02-2005, 11:47 AM
Finally, I got my camera situation straightened out and my piece posted. I apologize to the group, especially since this has been done for a week!

Diane

khourianya
09-02-2005, 12:04 PM
No problem, Dianne. SInce this is the last month, I am leaving the project open until Monday, in the hopes that our last few stragglers will get their pieces in over the weekend. I will wrap it up on Monday evening.

scall0way
09-03-2005, 08:10 PM
I sure hope those last few pieces come in! Why is it always the pieces that adjoin part of mine that never make it in? :)

I'm sorry to see this project go. It's been such fun, but I can see how organizing it can be a great deal of work. I especially love this month's picture. It reminds me so much of the sights I have seen during my last three weeks in Maine, New Brunswick, and Quebec's Gaspé peninsula. Alas, back home to reality tomorrow. :(

scall0way
09-03-2005, 08:36 PM
What I find so fascinating about these projects is how differently we all see the various colors! When I got my piece this month (which is second in from the right in the middle row) I said to myself that I *knew* it was water at the bottom, but it was such an ugly olivey yellowish-brownish color, without even a hint of blue or "watery" colors, yet all the pieces around mine have such pretty watery colors.

Or the two leftmost pieces in the top row, one with such a rich and vivid blue sky, and the other with a lovely ethereal blue with hints of lavender. I love both of them - and yet since they are side-by-side it's hard to see how the sky of the photo could change so drastically. So even though we are supposed to paint exactly what we see we still end up putting our own interpretations and mental filters into the picture. I think I find that one of the most fascinating things of all.

I sure do hope to see the finished picture, and would love to see the original reference photo also. It's my kind of picture. :)

Diane Cutter
09-03-2005, 09:41 PM
What I find so fascinating about these projects is how differently we all see the various colors!
I agree... I'm sure it's not just how we see those colors, but also how our pc monitors 'see' them and what pastels we have in our boxes... I'm really looking forward to the final, too...

Diane

khourianya
09-05-2005, 08:24 PM
I will put together the pieces that came in, sometime tonight. I'm not sure, but Natalie PM'd me and while she didn't say she was dropping out of the project, it seems to be that way so we will have at least one empty space in our puzzle :( I'd do it myself, but I just don't have time. As for the other missing piece, i don't know if it is gonna make it in either so I will wrap up with 2 missing pieces.

I just got back from camping and need a shower and food and then i will wrap up.

Orchidacea
09-05-2005, 09:55 PM
Okay, piece #14 is done! Now we have just one hole...but we all have good imaginations, right?

Orchidacea
09-05-2005, 10:12 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=49857

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/927/completed/41088/tn_Piece_14.jpg

I just went back and looked at the pieced-together image Cori did last week, and now I can see that I misread the water line in the reference. Darn! Should have used a magnifying glass, lol.

Oh well...as I said before, we all do have good imaginations.

khourianya
09-05-2005, 11:34 PM
bah - that looks gorgeous, Kim. I am sure it will look great in the puzzle.

Speaking of which - Kim is our powerhouse of the week and has been doing up some extra pieces so we can have a complete picture! (Thanks, Kim!) I will hold off another day or two before I wrap up. Then we will be done!

Orchidacea
09-06-2005, 08:11 PM
Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_image&entry_id=49879

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/lib/927/completed/41088/tn_piece_2.jpg

That's the last one! Just don't look to closely at this one..it's a mess. None of the lines are straight. Learned something, though--I will never try to render a structure in very soft pastel in a 4x4 format again!

scall0way
09-06-2005, 09:05 PM
Learned something, though--I will never try to render a structure in very soft pastel in a 4x4 format again!

Gosh, I can't even conceive of trying to do something in a 4x4 format. When I 've done these pieces they have usually been 12x12, but this month was a tiny one, only 10x10.

lenagh
09-07-2005, 07:48 AM
Hello - had been away for a while so it was great to see those missing pieces having come together. I totally agree with different use of colours/palettes and the impact the monitor settings have. I also wondered about different types of pastels - I have only every used soft pastels, no pencil or oilies - some of the square look so much brighter than mine - I wonder if that has somethign do with different media? I felt that my pictures was very bright to start with... or maybe it's due to the phototaking etc...??!!

Grunge
09-07-2005, 09:44 AM
Cori,

I was just wondering...how the heck are you dividing the original picture up in the first place. Is there some easy method that you can equally divide the pictures or are you painstakingly disecting them on computer??? I feel like you've gone to a lot of trouble. Thanks for that!!

khourianya
09-07-2005, 11:46 AM
I have been using the grid in Photoshop and then cutting it up from there. I tried to set up slices and export them, but they ended up really wonky so I have been disecting them individually. It doesn't take me that long...it's just tedious.

Sorry I didn't get the project wrapped yesterday, guys. I am still playing catch up on volunteer stuff that came in on the weekend. I will get it done tonight.

A HUGE thanks to Kim for going above and beyond to gett he last 2 pieces done for us! :clap:

Diane Cutter
09-07-2005, 12:09 PM
...Sorry I didn't get the project wrapped yesterday, guys...You've been more than patient with me, I certainly don't mind a while more to see the finished painting!!!

Diane

Orchidacea
09-07-2005, 02:37 PM
A HUGE thanks to Kim for going above and beyond to gett he last 2 pieces done for us! :clap:

It was fun...and not that time-consuming. Gave me something to do while I was avoiding the two paintings I'm wrestling with at the moment :) . Besides, this was my only chance to do this project, so I got three months' worth out of it :D .

Natalie NZ
09-07-2005, 06:02 PM
Just want to apologise for letting you all down and thank you SO much KIM for doing my piece. Everyone has done a superb job with this project and thanks again to Cori.
Regards........Natalie

khourianya
09-07-2005, 10:56 PM
First things first, I want to thank each and every one of you who have participated in this project over the past six months. You have all made it a joy to host and I appreciate those of you who have taken on extra pieces to help us finish the puzzle.

It has been a really fun project and i hope that each of you have learned a bit about how we see things in photos. I do hope you will all try the method in your full-sized paintings.

And now for the wrap up. This month we did a beautiful photo of Peggy's Cove that i tool last year on my vacation to Nova Scotia. I chose the photo for it's many challenges - buildings, figures in context, water, and reflections. From the comments I observed over the month, these are the things that alot of you found challenging and good. If I didn't challenge you I might have only ended up boring you :D

This was our photo:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2005/47843-peggys_cove.jpg

And here is the amazing puzzle you all put together.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Sep-2005/47843-peggys_cove_final.jpg

Great job EVERYONE! Now let's all take what we have learned here and bring it forth into all of our paintings! I look forward to seeing you all around the forum! I hope to be spending more of my time painitng and posting! I hope you all will join me!

Orchidacea
09-07-2005, 11:00 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

whoo-hoo! we did a great job!this was a lot of fun and certainly challenging. Thanks, Cori, for all your hard work.

Now....git back to yer easel!

Diane Cutter
09-07-2005, 11:44 PM
Amazing! It looks great. I especially like the bow of the red boat, the way the pieces have made it so 'cubist'...

Diane

scall0way
09-09-2005, 03:25 PM
A wonderful puzzle. I really enjoyed this one.

khourianya
09-11-2005, 01:17 PM
Me too. I think we did this final month justice!

kordelia
09-11-2005, 01:24 PM
WHAT A HOOT!!!!! WE ARE WONDERFUL!!!! :clap: i'm especially ecstatic with the red boat far left... (having had a small part in that!) yes, we may be all over the water, but check out those (?) masts, poles, uprights, whatever they be callled... are we right on or what!! and what a wonderful photo!!! congrats, cori, you pulled if off again!!

how depressing... it's Over... Over, dun with....... no more........... :(

if you ever get bored, cori............. just post; we'll find it like homing pigeons.... thanx for all the fun (on our parts) and work (on your part!).... Kory