PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Pastel Sketch Thread August 1 thru 7

Paula Ford
08-01-2005, 06:12 AM
Good Morning Pastelists! Happy Monday morning and Happy August to all of you!

The Weekly Pastel Sketch thread is for ALL pastelists, whether you are using soft or hard pastels, oil pastels, or pastel pencils. This thread is for ALL skill levels.

The idea is to fit some sketching time into your week by completing a sketch in one hour or less. You can sketch anything, whether it be from life or photos.

You can sketch for 5 minutes, or up to an hour, it’s up to you. It's a good idea to time your sketch, keeping it within 60 minutes. You know how time flies when you’re creating! So, get your pastels out, set a timer, and when your time is up, please post your sketches here and share your efforts with us!!

We had a wonderful time in last week’s thread. Here it is if you’d like to go look at the wonderful sketches http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284464 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284464)

Please visit the Image Library to see hundreds of great photos! http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/ (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/)

Have LOTS of fun and I look forward to seeing all of your sketches!!

Khadres
08-01-2005, 04:44 PM
I WILL post something this week! I WILL post something this week! I WILL post something this week! I WILL post something this week! I WILL post something this week! I WILL post something this week! I WILL post something this week! I WILL post something this week! I WILL post something this week! I WILL post something this week! I WILL post something this week!

PROMISE!!!! (well, it may stink as a work of art, but I WILL post SOMEthing!)

jerseybarb
08-01-2005, 06:40 PM
This was totally screwed up by my scanner, the color of the lizard is actully light brown and it does have a complete nose

Done in about 10 minutes from the reference library

Paula Ford
08-01-2005, 06:52 PM
Sooz! LOL...you couldn't ever do anything that stinks!

Barb, Another wonderful creature sketch!

Would anyone mind if I post the lavender painting when it's done tonight? It's probably not going to be considered a sketch anymore, but I'd kinda like to show everyone.

Paula

Khadres
08-01-2005, 11:11 PM
Cute lizard, barb!

Of COURSE you should post, Paula! Silly girl!

Ruth Grinstead
08-02-2005, 04:25 AM
Hi All

I am back I hope, PC has new motherboard but at the moment the PC is not attached to or near the scanner, but I can at least type a reply without having to reboot 20 or more times :D .

I love your little lizard Barb.

Ruth

Khadres
08-02-2005, 07:22 AM
Glad you're back online, Ruth! Nothing worse than PC problems!

Paula Ford
08-02-2005, 02:04 PM
Gee, Slow week...where is everybody???

Ruth Grinstead
08-02-2005, 03:32 PM
Thanks Sooz it is great to be back, I didn't know what to do with myself.

I'll try to get something done, Paula, I did buy a kiwi fruit to sketch this week - then I had a blonde or senior moment and forgot all about it. I'll put it near my easel now :D

Ruth

Orchidacea
08-02-2005, 03:39 PM
I thought you were gonna say you ate it, Ruth! (I say that because I've done it...but we won't go there now...)

I didn't know there was a weekly pastel sketch thread--I'll really, really try to do something :angel: . I did the WDE for the first time this weekend and it really got my juices flowing after not painting at all for over a year! Happy sketching!

jerseybarb
08-02-2005, 07:28 PM
Another rabbit, my scanner cut off the bottom of the sketch, but the bunny is still there

Paula Ford
08-02-2005, 07:41 PM
Barb, My husband told me to tell you he loves the bunny!! (me too!)

Thanks Ruth (I thought you were gonna say you ate it too :D )

I'm going to try to do something tonight (keeping my fingers crossed).

SOooooooozzzzz, OH Sooooooooozzzzzz!! I would love to see one of your sketches!

Paula

Khadres
08-02-2005, 08:06 PM
Nahhh, no you wouldn't! I'm in the process of seeing just how many times one CAN wash one's Wallis! Sooner or later, I'll stick something on it that I'll allow to stay. Til then....

Ruth Grinstead
08-03-2005, 05:26 AM
Lovely, bunny, Barb

Paula & Kim- I often do eat the still life, I think the kiwi is safe though as I am not too keen on eating them, but I have seen some great pastel paintings of them.

Sooz - perhaps you should use a paper that is less washable :wink2: it helps to focus the mind :D

Ruth

jerseybarb
08-03-2005, 06:34 PM
LOL! This was a hawk who thinks he's an owl I had a lot of trouble with his beak

Paula Ford
08-03-2005, 10:35 PM
LOL...it definately looks like an owl ... LOL

Khadres
08-03-2005, 10:44 PM
It needs little ear tufts or something to be an owl, doesn't it? I think it's a hawk playing an owl in the local dinner theater club...they do that all the time...and always forget to put on the ear tuft thingys!

Good job, barb!

Orchidacea
08-04-2005, 12:07 AM
a tomato from my garden....one of those sweet yellow ones--the first! This is after about 5 min. Disregard colors--I don't yet know how to work this camera...

Khadres
08-04-2005, 01:19 AM
Yummm! Looks good to me!

khourianya
08-04-2005, 01:52 AM
Ok - this one is kind of a departure for me, but I wanted to do it before I left my job, so I could give it to my co-worker (who will understand it)...I call it "Eye of Emily" and it is one of the satellite images of Hurricane Emily as it was picking up speed. My coworker's name is Emily...

"Eye of Emily"
4 X 6, softies on colourfix
about an hour

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Aug-2005/47843-eyeofemily.jpg

Ruth Grinstead
08-04-2005, 03:16 AM
Barb - yes would it be an owlk or an hawl - perhaps it is a bit more owl - but it still looks like a bird. So well done :D

Kim - oh yummy. I love tomatoes and from your garden, even better. We have had a funny summer and mine are all still very green.

Cori - I think eye of emily is great fun. They always look very interesting visually on the TV.

The kiwi fruit has made it from the kitchen to the studio - so there is still hope of one from me :D

Ruth

Orchidacea
08-04-2005, 10:28 AM
Sooz--are you still washing that Wallis? (I have this mental image of Sooz holding Kitty captive in a bathtub....)

Ruth Grinstead
08-04-2005, 10:35 AM
Sooz--are you still washing that Wallis? (I have this mental image of Sooz holding Kitty captive in a bathtub....)
:eek: :D

I've started mine :angel: just struggling to find anything approximating kiwi fruit green. So it looks a bit limey, I should finish this afternoon and will post whatever it looks like.

Ruth

Khadres
08-04-2005, 11:43 AM
Actually, I take the Wallis out in the yard and blast it...Kitty doesn't like that that much since the water from the garden hose is COLD and she hates the dogs' rude comments, but the stuff washes up pretty good!

Ruth Grinstead
08-04-2005, 11:53 AM
I should have done this in one go. I did about 15 minutes this morning and got called away now my kiwi slice has gone flaccid - I prop it up and by the time I am back at the easel it has flopped down again :crying: Should have take a photo I guess in hindsight. I've lost patience with it now.

So 15 to 30 minutes, less 10 standing up trips - well that is my exercise for the day taken care of.

Khadres
08-04-2005, 11:57 AM
Such an odd looking fruit, but fascinating too! Yep, I did a veggie still life last year that taught me the lesson about taking photos while the stuff's still extant! Pruney eggplants and floppy carrot fronds do not pose well! I think you did very well, considering the circumstances and just think! You've done your exercise laps already while propping up the wimpy Kiwi!

Orchidacea
08-04-2005, 11:59 AM
LOL, Ruth, art as exercise. I like your front kiwi slice especially. Next time you'll have to starch that fruit and make it stand up properly!

Really, Sooz, is that any way to treat a WC Industry Partner?

I finished my tomato and posted it in the soft pastel studio. I'm not happy with it; I wanted it to look much more lifelike. Next time I may try the pastel dust on Q-tips thing I was reading about...is that too obsessive?

Off to work--have a great day all!

scall0way
08-05-2005, 08:47 AM
LOL, lots of fruits and veggies here this week. Yum, though maybe if they have gotten wilted we could give them to the bunny. :D I like barb's hawk/owl too (face looks very owly to me), but I do have a thing for birds. I have not done much this week, it's just too beastly hot. I don't have central air, only a window unit in my bedroom. And with temps mostly up in the mid-90's (F) the last 2 weeks (mid-30's C) it's just been too darn hot to want to paint in my dining room/studio.

But last night I was in there while my dogs were eating dinner, and I decided to pull out my oilies and see if they were all melted. Luckily there were not, so I sat down to try a pic from a reference photo that I took up in New Brunswick last summer.

It was too darn hot to stay there very long though. So this is about 30 minutes worth of work. After that I was wilted and had to get back upstairs to flop in bed and cool off!

Oh this is about 9x12 inches on pale blue Art Spectrum colourfix paper, done mostly with my Holbein OPs with a touch of the Senneliers.

Debbie C.

scall0way
08-05-2005, 08:49 AM
Cori, that Eye of Emily is really cool. What an interesting subject for a painting!

Debbie C.

Khadres
08-05-2005, 01:15 PM
Cori, I love the hurriscape! What a neat idea!

And I'm very impressed with your oil pastel landscape, Debbie! I wish I could get results with them even half as good!

Orchidacea
08-05-2005, 05:12 PM
Really nice landscape, Debbie--in such a short period of time!

Cori-forgot to tell you-your "Eye of Emily" is such a neat idea! I'll bet your friend loved it.

A wilted kiwi, a wilted Debbie, an owl-eyed hawk and a wet Kitty. What an interesting week so far!

khourianya
08-05-2005, 06:11 PM
She did...I had told her I was going to paint it for her...and I framed it and gave it to her today...all framed and matted. We both love the term hurriscape. May have to do a bunch of them now :D

Khadres
08-05-2005, 08:10 PM
If you think about it, what better inspiration for wild, abstract art controlled by the iron will of nature at the same time? Could be an almost endless series and a fun way to use colors to the max!

Could also maintain a bit of mystery by just naming them whatever the storm's name was and a number as in Frances 4 or even the stage the photo showed such as Frances at 3. Betcha there'd be a market for 'em too! Make 'em big and bold and GLOWY!

khourianya
08-06-2005, 01:14 AM
You're probably right...I don't know if I would have it in me to do it all the time, though. They are a definite challenge and I'm glad i tried one of them. This little one was only 4 X 6 and the screenshot I took of the satellite animation was soooo detailed. I was dead on the hour point when I finished it and it was all hard pastels so i could get the detail into that size of a piece...

khourianya
08-06-2005, 01:17 AM
Another rabbit, my scanner cut off the bottom of the sketch, but the bunny is still there

Omigosh - how did I miss this lil bunns? Such a cutie!!!! You could so be a children's book illustrator with your sketches, Barb!

Ruth Grinstead
08-06-2005, 04:47 AM
Debbie - that is a lovely landscape, I am no good in the heat and get tetchy.

Ruth

Paula Ford
08-06-2005, 12:17 PM
Ruth, That's a juicy lookin kiwi you've got there!

Debbie, Your landscape is lovely indeed. I really love the light hitting the water and the colors in the grass!

Sooz!! You naughty girl you...treating kitty like that LOL!!!

Here is a yucky!! little landscape I did, but it's NOT done yet, obviously. Every day on the way home from work I pass this scene. It's at a lake named Harrison Bay and it is so beautiful. Will finish the boat after my Saturday afternoon nap. :D

Paula

ExpressiveAngie
08-06-2005, 12:53 PM
Cori has sent me over with my latest pastel sketch, I havent painted in weeks and weeks ...did a self portrait for the wde....its recycled wallis (old beach scene) took 30 mins from the bathroom mirror.
I had a quick view of all the wonderful sketches and I am constantly amazed at what we can do with very little time...good job every one.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Aug-2005/29518-angiesketchpastel.jpg

khourianya
08-06-2005, 12:57 PM
I love this one, Angie! Welcome back to the pastels!!!

Your landscape is looking great already, Paula - can't wait to see the big finish. :clap:

Khadres
08-06-2005, 03:14 PM
Great self-portrait, Angie! Very lively and spontaneous!

Nice landscape start, Paula! A lot of folks don't realize just how much WATER they have lying around back there! Quite a change from good ole Lubbock, eh???

BTW, I finally got an email message from purples! Was becoming concerned since she's been offline so long. She's apparently had a PC meltdown and only able to use her hubby's work system very rarely. Otherwise, she seems okay. Not sure when she'll be back online, but she says hey to everybody!

khourianya
08-06-2005, 04:02 PM
oh - good. I was wondering why she had suddenly vanished! Thanks for letting us know.

Ruth Grinstead
08-07-2005, 03:02 PM
Hi Sooz - thanks for the update on purples. PCs :mad: . I hope she'll be back with us soon.

Paula - good start to your landscape I'll look forward to viewing the finished version.

Angie - that is a lovely self portrait.

I probably won't get in to the new thread until mid-week as we have to take Jamie and all his clobber to his new digs for him to start his year's placement at IBM.

Ruth

angecald
08-08-2005, 12:56 AM
Like Sooz, I've been repeating, "I WILL post a sketch" all week. How did it get to be Sunday night? But here it is. I hope somebody's still looking.

It's 4" x 6", mostly Rembrants and a few Schminckes on Colourfix paper. It's an abandoned motel, in case you're wondering. I did it just before sunset from the other side of the road. I was actually below the level of the road. That strip of green in the foreground is the embankment.

Hmm, the "new and improved" image uploader doesn't seem to be doing anything for me. I'll try the old way.

C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Pictures\motelwc.jpg.jpg

angecald
08-08-2005, 01:01 AM
C:\Documents and Settings\User\My Documents\My Pictures\motelwc.jpg

angecald
08-08-2005, 01:03 AM
All right, try this:

khourianya
08-08-2005, 01:05 AM
Great plein air sketch, Agnes. I'm hoping to have a few to post in next week's thread...

Ruth Grinstead
08-08-2005, 03:35 AM
Well done Agnes on getting you lovely plein air sketch into this week.

I'll take my pastels with me on my trip just in case :D .

Ruth