PDA

View Full Version : Basic 101 Class 24 - Drawing Water

Pages : [1] 2 3

JayD
08-01-2005, 12:01 AM
Basic 101 Class 24
Water

Introduction:

Water, water everywhere and entirely too much to say. To say that water permeates our lives is a complete understatement. It truly is everywhere—it is even in us. You can go without food but you CANNOT live without water. Here’s a riddle: how do you hold in your hand a shoreline?

Let me know if you figure out the answer.

JayD
08-01-2005, 12:02 AM
You have to keep in mind that drawing water, like drawing glass is totally dependent upon what surrounds it. By the way, NEVER google the phrase “drawing water”. Anyway, water is a thing of personality—it runs, it lies stills, it bubbles, it steams, it brooks, it freezes, it rains, it pours and you can skate on it, roll it into balls, drive a train with it, drink it, wash with it, cook with it, power the sewage system with an even use it to generate electricity. The industrial revolution was brought about in part by the invention of the waterwheel. I have no idea how I would classify water because it is the chameleon of all things natural. It can literally be anything and we need it to be anything.

So it is no surprise that when you draw water you have to think about things like tone, value and reflection—just like glass—the difference is that glass stays put—water? Well, it’s always goin’ places.

Here are some tips—I have included some VERY quick sketches to illustrate some of the things that I am talking about. By the way, the sketches are ink and graphite—something that I am playing with limited success. Kind of using the graphite like a “dry wash”. I make no apologies.

1. The key to drawing a lake is reflection, reflection reflection—and highlights

2. When you add reflections and highlights to brooks and streams you give the water a crystal clear appearance.

3. Consider what is at the bottom of the stream.

4. And speaking of rocks—rocks that have had contact with water are worn down and smooth while rocks NOT exposed to water will have a rougher quality of texture.

5. All streams and lakes have dark murky areas that you should look for.

6. Water is three dimensional—seems obvious but water has highlight and areas of lowlight.

7. Water is transparent but when pushed against or force is applied, it will foam and lose part of its transparency.

8. Water is not blue. Water is the color of whatever surrounds it—or what it reflects.

9. Regarding waves: stage 1—the water rises up. Stage 2—the wave will begin to break and foam Stage 3—if you are looking at the wave from the front, the foamed up area will will split and widen to the left as well as the right.

10. When the foam from the broken up wave reached the shore—it will resemble a net of sorts.

11. Always add shadow to the foam to give it a 3-D quality

12. Wet reflects—stand in the rain on a smooth surface and look at your feet.

13. Rain will fall and hit the pavement splashing upward forming a sort of crown-this will break out in a series of rings called ripples or ringlets.

14. Rain striking an umbrella will strike and burst outward

15. As it settles, streams will form on the umbrella forming net-like patterns.

16. Raindrops are not “drop shaped”—they are spherical—I know because my daughter has recently become fixated on photographing rain.

17. “Underwater” water is also very reflective—look at swimming pools for example. If you look at the reflections on the sides of the pool walls—you will see the reflections are “net-like.” Sound familiar?

18. Water forms streams when following down over objects. They start together but break up into streams.

19. Water that violently strikes a that also contains water will foam or spray (I am referring to water falls).

20. Water refracts as well as reflects. If you take a pencil and stick it in a glass with water—the object will seem to “bend”. Take advantage of this effect. The effect is evident in nature as well.

20. Lastly, STILL waters may run deep but they are also mirrors. Highly reflective.

Demonstration:

The following is a demonstration of water pouring into a glass. By the way, this time I drew using a centerline. Still had some problems but much better then last weeks glass.

This was drawn on 140 lb Arches Watercolor using the smooth side of course. A 2b mechanical pencil was used to draw and shade. The deepest darks were done with a 9b pencil. Highlights were done with an electric and a click eraser both sharpened at the tip. A cotton swab and a cotton cloth was used for blending. The drops are treated as spheres with a highlight and a low light. Gravity will pull the drops downward. Drops are transparent so treat them as glass.

JayD
08-01-2005, 12:03 AM
Lets do that again--Here is the Demo! :D

JayD
08-01-2005, 12:04 AM
Assignment:

Draw water—LOTS OF IT. You may do landscapes or you may do bathtubs, pools, glasses—does not matter. Lets see lots of examples of water.

Link References:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275016

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285742&highlight=water

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285427&highlight=water

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/search.php?searchid=634700&pp=25&page=2

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285785&highlight=water

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285633&highlight=water

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285487&highlight=water

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285024&highlight=water

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285693&highlight=water

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285612&highlight=water

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285469&highlight=water

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277503&highlight=water

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=284401

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275356

HAPPY DRAWING!!! :clap: :clap:

Mary Woodul
08-01-2005, 12:24 AM
Wow, JayD, another wonderful class. I love your water glass and bottle. You made me thirsty!!! This is going to be lost of fun. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thank you for your comment over at CP. :D

Troy Rochford
08-01-2005, 12:27 AM
You mean water ISN'T blue????? Well, hell....;)

Troy Rochford
08-01-2005, 01:19 AM
Hmm, let's see... Water? Rocks? Water striking solids? Spray/foam? Okay, I'm done! :D

puglover
08-01-2005, 02:49 AM
Hmm just one question..
to be able to do this class will i have to do the other classes..
i am kind of new to the whole idea of art :D

sultry
08-01-2005, 03:03 AM
Wonderful instruction Jay :) I enjoyed sketching water in the bear pic.
Troy that is really beautiful now how long ago did you render that?
Hiyas Pugdoglover, Welcome to 101 & would love to see your try at this class.
I will give you a tip, For me the first classes were so valuable for me because they #1, taught me the correct way to hold a pencil, #2 taught me to study each geo shape that is used in all renderings.

puglover
08-01-2005, 03:07 AM
What is a number #2 pencil ?
Will HB be fine?

sultry
08-01-2005, 03:11 AM
LOL, sorry about that, I was not implying the # of pencils I was only saying 2 things. Although, you do start in the first few classes with a #2 pencil which is your HB pencil. After a few classes, you are allowed to explore the Hards & softer pencils.

puglover
08-01-2005, 03:22 AM
psst look at my thread below this :D i like you. you know what you are talking about. i like that in a person! :)

ok that is good cause i have a really good pencil.. the brand is Staedtler. I like that brand. Good I reckon. And we have a really good electric sharpener at school. In my dream studio i so would have to have an electric sharpener.

ok .. ULTIMATE DREAM STUDIO MAKERS CLASS 101....
Get an electric shaperner.

:D rofl

Katherine T
08-01-2005, 03:44 AM
Thanks Jay for posting the "Water Water Everywhere" Discussion Thread at the top of your list of references. If people look in it they'll find a lot of very good source photos for a topic like this. They keep popping up all the way through the thread.

This is the actual Project Thread (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=view_details&proj_id=889)- which provides yet more source material and this is the gallery showing all the work produced so far (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/Projects/index.php?cmd=browse_final_all&proj_id=889). For anybody wanting to have a go at doing their work in coloured pencils we'd be very happy if you want to post in this project or seek any extra help from the CP Forum along the way. I have to say that this was one was a project which we found a little challenging to start with but people pulled off some really really good results. It's well worth the effort of learning how to draw water. Lots and lots of patterns!

I have to say I am a huge fan of JayD's and these Drawing 101 classes - I'm forever mentioning them to people as being an excellent way to get a good grounding in basic drawing skills.

I'll be popping in again to admire your work later! ;)

puglover
08-01-2005, 04:04 AM
Thanks Katherine *is guessing that is your name because it is in your signature*
i'm just trying to think of what to draw..
ahh i got an idea.. i will draw my pug grace drinking from her water bowl.
This will be hard though.. do you guys know what a pug looks like? well they have like this black folds.. imagine it this way.. you have a black cloth with lots of folds.. how do you show where the different folds? how do i show the difference of the pug wrinkles? sorry this is kind of going a bit of topic.. put i like to draw pugs :D well actually at the moment they are just scribbles or cartoons of pugs cause i dont really know how to draw yet.. so i am going to try and include my pug in all of my class drawings from now on. why you ask? just because i love my pug :D

JayD
08-01-2005, 06:34 AM
Pugsley--Yes, you can do the class now if you want--but I would strongly advise thata first you go through the first FIVE classes--they will answer your very basic questions. After that you can pick and choose according to your needs but go ahead and jump into this class.

Troy--glad you got it down so fast--now you can do KatherineT's thread and show us what you have learned OR you could do another piece from scratch.

Katherine--always good to see you around here--please feel free to encourage cross posting as well so people can be constantly exposed to you CPeople. I think that will be my new name for the Colored Pencil Crowd. The CPeoples.

puglover
08-01-2005, 06:46 AM
Jay .. (is that what i can call you?).. will a HB pencil be ok for this excercise?
Also what class do you think I should look at in regards to the pug folds that I mentioned above..? :)

JayD
08-01-2005, 06:49 AM
Well, you could look at the class on folds but I would reccommend a book for you to check out by Anne DeMille Flood called Pet Portraits in Colored Pencil. Even if you do not use colored pencil, this is an excellent reference book on drawing pets. Also you might want to cross post your questions over in the Animal Forum.

puglover
08-01-2005, 06:55 AM
True true. rofl Wet Canvas is bad.. makes me spend all my money on art stuff :D At the moment I am trying to save my money for these faber castel pencils.. They are like in the front window of the art shop in a nice wooden box.. Everytime I walk by that shop.. I like literally drool.. And then I see something else I want in the shop.. It is so hard not to spend my money. Right I am not buying anything else until I get those pencils. Hmmm so now I know why I got a job. I probably should be saving up for my first car.. but meh. I suppose I will go to the animal forum and see what they say. Do you have any ideas on how I could go about it? Could I manage to do it with just a HB pencil? :D Thanks so much for all of this.

Fireman's kid
08-01-2005, 08:30 AM
Well, this looks like another challenging class! I haven't decided if I will try water this week or go back to glass. Probably depends on what reference strikes my fancy the most. :D

Jay, I have to say you do such a great job putting these classes together that I could spend the whole 2 weeks just reading through and learning from the links. Thank you for putting in the time and effort week after week. You know we love ya, right?!?

JayD
08-01-2005, 08:32 AM
Stacy, thanks! That is very kind of you--combine the two classes if you want--do a fish tank or a glass of water--hey put some alka Seltzer disolving in it!

puglover
08-01-2005, 08:38 AM
a fish tank!
thats a great idea :D
Thanks for the idea JayD!

Troy Rochford
08-01-2005, 03:21 PM
Pugsley--Yes, you can do the class now if you want--but I would strongly advise thata first you go through the first FIVE classes--they will answer your very basic questions. After that you can pick and choose according to your needs but go ahead and jump into this class.

Troy--glad you got it down so fast--now you can do KatherineT's thread and show us what you have learned OR you could do another piece from scratch.

Katherine--always good to see you around here--please feel free to encourage cross posting as well so people can be constantly exposed to you CPeople. I think that will be my new name for the Colored Pencil Crowd. The CPeoples.

Hey, take it easy there, Sarge! I only posted the old piece as a joke. :D

Katherine T
08-01-2005, 03:41 PM
Jay - I've posted a link to this thread in the Water Water Everywhere Project/Discussion Thread over in the CP Forum - so we'll see who turns up!

JayD
08-01-2005, 03:47 PM
Hey thanks Katherine!! I really appreciate it.

Troy, I'm just pickin' on you.

Troy Rochford
08-01-2005, 03:53 PM
Hey thanks Katherine!! I really appreciate it.

Troy, I'm just pickin' on you.

Likewise :wave:

Cathie Jones
08-01-2005, 04:57 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2005/23460-smiley_too_funny.gif

Judi1957
08-01-2005, 05:23 PM
Jay, I have to say you do such a great job putting these classes together that I could spend the whole 2 weeks just reading through and learning from the links. Thank you for putting in the time and effort week after week. You know we love ya, right?!?

Ditto!
:clap: :clap:
Yep-another 5 STAR CLASS! :)

Mary Woodul
08-01-2005, 05:36 PM
Hey there, JayD, pugdoglover, Sults, Troy, Stacy, CJ and Judi. :wave:

Judi, how was Luke? Nice to see you back!

Nice drawing, Troy!

Judi1957
08-01-2005, 05:57 PM
Sorry Troy! Missed your drawing. Really nice dramatic piece! :clap:

Hi Mary! Missed you all!
Luke is just great!:):):)
We only got to see him for 2 1/2 hours at the airplane terminal on base--but it was worth it. Would have loved a nice quiet dinner with him-but was just not meant to be.
LOL-he was back in California before Maggie and I were half way home.
It was so exciting and made your heart swell with pride to see the ship pulling into port. All our sailors lined the deck the whole way around-pretty awesome site.

sultry
08-01-2005, 06:03 PM
I am so glad you saw him Judi, even if for a short time it is always wonderful to look your baby (even tho grown) in the eyes and give them a hug. Glad your safely back too. :)

puglover
08-01-2005, 06:44 PM
Hey Mary :D
Drawing this pug is giving me the spooks.
She wont sit still either. :(
Maybe I should have just stuck with the glass and water .. instead of the pug drinking out of the water bowl! lol :D

sultry
08-01-2005, 06:48 PM
Pug I am doing a wolf drinking from a lake by the way. What you need to do is take a picture of your pug and then greyscale it.
It is too hard to learn how to do the tonal values with the light and your subject moving.
Doing sketches from life are good to do as sketches but when you are trying to get details in for showing water, you really need a good ref pic to work from.

puglover
08-01-2005, 06:52 PM
Well I'm at school at the moment. But the face of grace is the hardest thing. Perhaps I really need to look at the past classes. One step at a time right? :D

Anita Murphy
08-01-2005, 07:29 PM
Hi Guys! WOW three pages in one day!!!!

Troy-that must be a record for posting but methinks you cheated and did this before :p

JayD - this is going to be fun. I love the glass with water pouring in.

Hi Judi - glad you had a great time with Luke and you got more than just a couple of minutes.

Hi Stacy, Sults, Mary, pugdoglover, and anyone else I missed.

Arrived in DC so I guess this week I will be down to the Reflecting Pool on the Mall to do water drawings. Also the Potomac - this should be fun!

Cathie Jones
08-01-2005, 08:58 PM
Hi Guys! WOW three pages in one day!!!!

Hey Anita! Did you know you can set your preferences to show 40 posts per page? That way you don't have to upload new pages so often . . . :D

JayD
08-01-2005, 09:16 PM
Anita and Mary--you noticed my drinking glass was cut glass--I was thinking of you guys.

puglover
08-01-2005, 09:28 PM
Cath what do you mean?
Did you know you can set your preferences to show 40 posts per page? That way you don't have to upload new pages so often . . .
Ugg I am at school. In physics. Sooo boring. I just want to go home and draw. I know I know shouldnt be on wet canvas but physics is really easy at the moment.. to easy :D

Mary Woodul
08-01-2005, 09:46 PM
Judi, that must have been a very emotive moment. I am happy for you that he is in the US now.

Anita, what are doing so far from Mexico? Have fun!!!

Hi Sults! :wave:
Hi CJ, I finally got my pages set, but I still get confused having inverted them. :D It does save a lot of time.

Pug, you must be a good student. I don't see how physics can be easy. :D

JayD, I loved your work on your glass and the whole composition is beautiful.

Am I the only one having trouble opening the threads? I've had a terrible time all day. Everything is so slow. I hope it's not my computer.

Judi1957
08-01-2005, 10:22 PM
Hey Becky-Go for it-would love to see your work! The pug lapping water sounds like a nice composition! :)

Hey Mary :D
Drawing this pug is giving me the spooks.
She wont sit still either. :(
Maybe I should have just stuck with the glass and water .. instead of the pug drinking out of the water bowl! lol :D

JayD
08-01-2005, 10:26 PM
You know, Becky--I noticed that you are in the weekly drawing thread--you can post the picture that you do here over at that thread as well. We cannot wait to see what you do.

Mary, thank you--doing the glass took a lot of time so it was refreshing to get back into the fray.

mothsailor
08-01-2005, 10:33 PM
JayD, I say it every time, but this is really fantastic! Thanks for all your work.

I'm still working on some glass, but with any luck I'll get some water done before the two weeks are up...

Judi1957
08-01-2005, 10:34 PM
Hi Mary! :wave: I had trouble today here-but it seems much better now. Sometimes it is still taking a bit of time to post.
Yes happy about him being 'home'-though closer to CJ than me.

puglover
08-01-2005, 10:35 PM
Did you know you can set your preferences to show 40 posts per page? That way you don't have to upload new pages so often . . .
Yeah it has been crashing. My home computer needs to visit the doctor I think. I think for me it is more of a problem with my computer then WetCanvas. Yeah Mary I don't mean to brag or anything but I am kind of like an excel student. its not all that great though.. everybody want me to jump and year and stuff but i dont want to.. i just want to go through school like a normal person ... lol.. oh wait there is one subject that i am not that good at.. VCD.. which stands for Visual Communication And Design. I am ok at it I suppose but average at like a B+. I probably should have chosen a subject that is going to give me a higher score but meh.. I needed to do a fun subject just to give me a break. i always need at least one fun subject else i cant operate. i also kind of joined wetcanvas in hope that it would help my VCD subject. at the moment i am in year 11 doing math methods, general maths, physics, english, religion and society (private religious school.. we have to) and as well that i am doing year 12 IT but i am only doing year 12 IT because my best mate is in there :D lol. i am a weird girl. ok i am really getting of topic now. i have seen lots of art by you guys.. makes me rather of put and i am really scared to post my art.. which really isnt art.. it is more like scraps and scribbles. is it normal to feel like this? even when my vcd teacher walks by intend to hide my work... i dont no why... its like its automatic.

JayD
08-01-2005, 10:42 PM
Dave thanks!! Glad to see you back in the fray! I've got loads more to go.

Judi1957
08-01-2005, 10:50 PM
Hip Hip Horray!
Welcome back Dave!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

puglover
08-01-2005, 10:52 PM
Oh I came back here thinking you guys would comment on what i said.
i am in a study period at school at the moment. totally bored.

Cathie Jones
08-01-2005, 11:00 PM
Hi Pug! :wave: Glad you've joined the class!

You can make changes in the way you see things in "My WC." When you get there, click on "Edit Options." There are all kinds of cool things there. And under "Thread Display Options" you can choose how many posts you want to see per page - 40 is the max. I've also changed the 'Thread Display Mode' to "Linear - Newest First." That way when I open the thread the newest post is at the top and they go back from there. It takes some getting used to, but it's faster that way.

If your downloading is slow you can also choose to see images as thumbnails that enlarge when you click on them.

Take a look at all of the goodies there . . .

puglover
08-02-2005, 02:16 AM
ok thanks cath. that was really helpful. :D

sultry
08-02-2005, 09:07 AM
Wb Dave :)

Amethyst
08-02-2005, 02:17 PM
Water water everywhere...... what with our city being flooded and over 1000 people lost their lives in these last 8 days, I can't think of water anymore :crying:

Judi1957
08-02-2005, 02:40 PM
Water water everywhere...... what with our city being flooded and over 1000 people lost their lives in these last 8 days, I can't think of water anymore :crying:

I'm so sorry, where are you Amethyst? :(

Anita Murphy
08-02-2005, 02:44 PM
Hi Mary - I'm in DC because I became a US citizen today! Got a shopping list a mile long as well! Mainly art materials - I bought an empty case with to fill to bring back! :D

Hi CJ- I am going to have to go and edit my options. Is the 40 a day new?

JayD - I am going to do the cut glass once I get back to Mexico. Still haven't figured out how to get the colour where I want it though. I forgot to say last night how great I think it is that you do SO much work for us. Please know how grateful this pupil is!

Hi Dave - how is California?

Pugdoglover (my mother is one too - a pug dog lover that is!) - you have my sympathy with comp troubles. Mine at home is a disaster zone. New rule in my house. My husband is not allowed in the same room as it! :rolleyes:

Hi Sults, Judi, Amethyst, Michele and anyone else.

Troy Rochford
08-02-2005, 02:50 PM
Hi Mary - I'm in DC because I became a US citizen today! Got a shopping list a mile long as well! Mainly art materials - I bought an empty case with to fill to bring back! :D

Hi CJ- I am going to have to go and edit my options. Is the 40 a day new?

JayD - I am going to do the cut glass once I get back to Mexico. Still haven't figured out how to get the colour where I want it though. I forgot to say last night how great I think it is that you do SO much work for us. Please know how grateful this pupil is!

Hi Dave - how is California?

Pugdoglover (my mother is one too - a pug dog lover that is!) - you have my sympathy with comp troubles. Mine at home is a disaster zone. New rule in my house. My husband is not allowed in the same room as it! :rolleyes:

Hi Sults, Judi, Amethyst, Michele and anyone else.

You got my black stonehenge, right???

Anita Murphy
08-02-2005, 02:52 PM
LOL not yet Troy! Hoping to go to the art store tomorrow! I got given about 8 sheets of archival quality illustration board. Jealous?????

Troy Rochford
08-02-2005, 02:55 PM
LOL not yet Troy! Hoping to go to the art store tomorrow! I got given about 8 sheets of archival quality illustration board. Jealous?????

I'm currently in a phase where I hate illustration board. Subject matter on recent work has lent itself better to stonehenge. The marbles were on illustration board and it made me very sad;)

Anita Murphy
08-02-2005, 02:55 PM
But the marbles were STUNNING!

Troy Rochford
08-02-2005, 02:59 PM
But the marbles were STUNNING!

Ahh, but had they been on stonehenge... that would have almost been a religious experience!;)

Yes, folks, that IS a joke. :D

Amethyst
08-02-2005, 03:00 PM
Judy.. I am from Mumbai.. India

Anita Murphy
08-02-2005, 03:02 PM
Troy - ROFLMAO!!!!!

Amethyst - hope the water recedes soon!

Amethyst
08-02-2005, 03:06 PM
We all hope so too Anita. We are praying for it..

Cathie Jones
08-02-2005, 03:13 PM
Hi Mary - I'm in DC because I became a US citizen today!

Congratulations, Anita! And to get your citizenship in DC must have been a special treat! Got photos???

Amethyst - you and your countrymen are much in our thoughts these days. The floods are being reported in our news and the death toll is awful. Please take care of yourself and stay safe!

A couple of months ago there was a thread that mentioned new Derwent Graphitint pencils and I checked it out, but they weren't available in the US until July. The other day I was cruising again looking for them and they're not available on anyone's web sites - so I e-mailed Dick Blick and asked when they'd be available. Here's their reply:

We have added the 12 count of the Derwent Graphitint pencil. It is our item number 22039-0129 and is currently in stock. Unfortunately this item is not set up on our web site yet so you would have to call in your order. Our phone number is 800-447-8192.

Troy Rochford
08-02-2005, 03:18 PM
CJ do you have a link to the thread or can you briefly explain? I've never heard of these.

cmwynn
08-02-2005, 03:28 PM
Cathy - Alfredart uses Derwent pencils and turns out masterpieces everytime he puts a mark on paper. I doubt that the pencil is the reason, but it is tempting to try.
I had a photo a friend sent me a while ago from some place in south Georgia, with clouds and a lake, two types of water. I have it in mind that water is supposed to be level or will pour off of the paper. This isn't the case here, not sure the difference. The photo, a graphite version, which gave me a very intimate view of each element of the scene, and another version in watercolor. The water is the weakest part of that, I think.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Aug-2005/29839-Lakexm.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Aug-2005/29839-Lake_and_clouds_grxm.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Aug-2005/29839-Lake_and_cloudsxm.jpg

Anita Murphy
08-02-2005, 03:31 PM
Cathy - I have some Derwent drawing pencils - I think the ones that Alfredart uses as mentioned by Connie. But I just looked up these ones you mentioned and I think they are slightly different. Mine are just called Derwent Drawing pencils - I have the earth tones. Going to have to add these to my shopping list :D

SILKNSATIN
08-02-2005, 03:43 PM
JayD you did very very well. :clap:
Good one troy. :clap:
Connie you amaze me girl. :clap:
Umm YIKES YILES YILES water :evil:
I will try to join in and try a piece later.Have so much going on right now but i'll check in from time to time. :wave:

chaz
08-02-2005, 04:27 PM
Connie, Great job on both the pencil and watercolor. The only nit I can pick on is that to me, the reflections of the trees in the background of both the graphite and watercolor and especially the watercolor, are a bit too dark and sharp. IMO they should be lighter and less detailed. Only a suggestion though.

Good job

Chuck

sultry
08-02-2005, 04:32 PM
Hiyas everyone :wave:

A Big Congrats Anita Gf:clap: :clap: :clap: WOOHOO A US GIRL now. :)

Sorry about the flood Amethyst, I too wish you & yours safety; shelter & food, in times of such horrible disasters.

Beautiful renderings of a really nice ref pic Connie. You do landscapes very well. :)

Cathie Jones
08-02-2005, 04:50 PM
The first link is a review of Graphitints, the second is a Derwent product site, and the third is a web page by an artist who has used them. She had the German Shepherd (the drawing is called "Loyalty") posted in a forum, but the pic is gone now. Anyway, check it out. I guess these water soluble tinted graphite pencils have been available for a little while in the UK, but just got to the US in July.

http://pigpog.com/wiki/index.php/Derwent_Graphitint

http://www.pencils.co.uk/products/product.asp?category=67&subsection=260&id=2245

http://freespace.virgin.net/gayle1.mason/Coloured_Pencil.html

Here's another reference to Graphitint in a project:

#178 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3721235&postcount=178) http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/images/buttons/report.gif (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/report.php?p=3721235)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/images/statusicon/post_old.gif 07-24-2005, 06:52 AM
Alison2 (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/member.php?u=43103) http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/images/flags/United%20Kingdom.gif

Re: Project Discussion: Journal as an Artist's Book
Thanks Zoe!

Good luck with the watercolour journal - what a good idea to prep it with absorbent ground!

I bought some new graphitint pencils yesterday by Derwent. (At artists and illustrators exhibition in London). Graphite based but with colour - so a bit like a watercolour pencil, but you can rub them out very easily with them being graphite based. At the exhibition they had some fantastic work done with them - a mermaid with all the water around her with highlights lifted out. Don't think I'm quite there yet....!!! :D

Troy Rochford
08-02-2005, 04:58 PM
Thanks Cathie

puglover
08-02-2005, 05:07 PM
Amethyst come and dump the water in Australia.
We are very much the opposite.
We want the rain.
Sorry about all the disaster it has caused.
Shame on the rain.
I used to like walking in it but now I am not really sure. :(

mothsailor
08-02-2005, 05:11 PM
Amethyst The news from your part of the world is truly terrible. I hope the situation improves as quickly as possible.

Anita Hope you had a good day getting your US citizenship! Don't forget to visit the National Gallery of Art while you're in DC...it is a stunning collection.

CJ There are so many new materials around...the other day I saw some water soluable pastel pencils. Maybe they've been around a while, but I'd never seen them before. Personally, I have enough trouble with old-fashioned graphite...

puglover
08-02-2005, 05:18 PM
I'm from Australia.
I remember getting my American citizenship getting all dressed up.
It's good having to passports (American and Austrlian)
My dad is American you see. I am half American so I can become citizen. :D

Mary Woodul
08-02-2005, 06:11 PM
OMG, this thread got so long since last night.

Connie, you are so fast and your watercolor looks great.

Amethyst, take care, we are thinking of you.

Anita congratulations! I should get my Mexican citizenship, now that we can have both because my FM2 is falling apart and I think it is harder to get that than the citizenship.

CJ, I saw some colored Derwents at Office Max, of all places, but I think it was because the are getting the supplies for the achitectural sundents. They come in little packages of about five but I guess that is different than what you are talking about. I can get Derwent graphite pencils at the art store.

Hi Judi, Sults, Pug, Troy,Bon, Dave and JayD. I hope I'm not forgetting anyone.

JayD, I'm working on a picture of water that I got from IRL and I am doing it in CP so I will take longer to post. I might post a WIP tomorrow or this evening. I think I should have started with graphite. Water is tricky. :eek:

Judi1957
08-02-2005, 06:27 PM
Hi All :wave:

Hi Mary-are you loving the cp? :D

Amythyst-I am so sorry all this is happening-I have experienced a flood and lost some of my friends in a 1977 flood -I understand what you are going thru and I am sending you all prayers.

Connie Fantastico- that is my new name for ya! :clap: :clap:

Anita-welcome to the Club! :D Congratulations!

CJ-did you order them yet-the Derwents? -Guess I'm going shopping :)

Beck-glad you are starting Class 1! :clap:

JayD
08-02-2005, 06:53 PM
ANITA!!! YOU WERE IN DC!!! Good Lord--We have an office at the DC Superior court--if I had known you were there, I would made my way up to DC. Congratulations on you citizenship!!! DNA testing for immigration fraud prevention is a mainstay of our business--that and child support. Now I am going to be elsewhere--oh well. Good job.

Mary, take your time--what is your paper of choice--oh and I have been working on sult's Fairy for going on six months now or so it seems. By the way, prismacolor now has a nice color pencil sharpener out that I like and I was rummaging through hobby lobby yesterday and I found a new electric pencil sharpener--I have six now--always pays to have backups--the thinkabout this new one is that it only cost 4.95(USD). Its a tough little spunky guy and I like it better then my more expensive one. It is made by a company called CIH and, get this, it is transparent--when I first saw it I thought it was a squirt gun.

Ameythst--I am sorry about the news from your region. It is a tragedy and my prayers are with you.

Connie, I like watching you work--its like you can see your mind piecing these things together. I really like both versions.

Cathie Jones
08-02-2005, 07:51 PM
Hi Judi! No, I haven't ordered them yet. I'll try calling tonight - if they're not open I'll do it tomorrow.

Mary, these aren't colored pencils, and they aren't just graphite - they're water soluble tinted graphite - the best of both worlds!! They probably are in stores here now, I hadn't thought of that. Maybe I'll run by Michael's on the way home tonight and see if they have them yet.

Dave, I haven't said how glad I am to see you back . . . but I am!! :D

Judi1957
08-02-2005, 07:54 PM
Hi CJ :wave: -If you find them at Michaels-let me know please.

JayD
08-02-2005, 09:02 PM
Cathie you might want to cross post that info over in colored pencil--besides myself, there is a LOT of people on the lookout for those pencils.

Cathie Jones
08-02-2005, 09:38 PM
Hi again -

Judi, I went to Michael's and they didn't have them. Remember, though, that my Michael's is small and usually behind the times. Yours might have them.

JayD, I'll run over to CP and let them know they're available here. And then call to order mine!!!

Edit: I just called Blick - be prepared to order more stuff than just the pencils. Their cost is $11.95 and shipping is $6.95 - - order enough to justify the shipping charge!!:eek: :rolleyes:

Judi1957
08-02-2005, 09:42 PM
Thanks CJ. :) Ours is new and pretty big. I'll go up tomorrow after work.

Mary Woodul
08-02-2005, 11:02 PM
Judi, yes I am loving CP, I just hope i can master it.

CJ once to try those let me know how they work. I did buy some metallic Derwents that I love.

JayD, I am using mexican brand Canson right now, although I was able to find a block of Windsor and Newton heavy weight smooth cartridge paper and another one of smooth Bristol Board. I'll try those once I get a little more experieince with the water. :D Your pencil sharpener sounds cool. I bought an electric one and I love it but it sure eats the pencils up. You know, here at the art stores they don't like Prisma colors and they have the imported one's from Germany and Holland, but I was able to get the big box of professional Prismas for about $50.00. I like them more that the imported one's.

mothsailor
08-03-2005, 12:29 AM
Edit: I just called Blick - be prepared to order more stuff than just the pencils. Their cost is $11.95 and shipping is $6.95 - - order enough to justify the shipping charge!!:eek: :rolleyes:

You could always order the big bumper tub of 72 pencils!

mothsailor
08-03-2005, 01:56 AM
I wanted to do something quickly tonight as I'm going off to Hawaii on Thursday for 10 days (it's a tough life!) and might not have time to get anything done for a while...though I think I'm right in thinking there is quite a bit of water in the Hawaii area. :D

Anyway, here is it...

Judi1957
08-03-2005, 06:07 AM
I wanted to do something quickly tonight as I'm going off to Hawaii on Thursday for 10 days (it's a tough life!) and might not have time to get anything done for a while...though I think I'm right in thinking there is quite a bit of water in the Hawaii area. :D

:p :envy: :p :envy: :p :envy: ALL my sympathies! Yeh-I think they have some water- :D .
Hope your wife and Sarah are going to. :) Have a wonderful time!!

Nice faucet and water Dave!-where the water exits the faucet looks especially well done. You could deepen, blend and lift some graphite in the tub/sink water itself.

Anita Murphy
08-03-2005, 07:02 AM
JayD - if I had known I would have let you know!

CJ - thanks for the congratulations. Going to have a look for those pencils today at Utrecht. Will let you know if they have them.

Sults - now all I need is either a cowboy hat or baseball cap to prove I am a US girl!

Dave - heading to the National Gallery today. They have a couple of special exhibitions I want to see. And I just love the new building so I go just to look at that!
Oh and I am still a Brit too - get the best of both worlds!
Hawaii? Alright for some! Great tap!

Judi - thanks for the welcome.

Connie - lovely work. I like the way you use different mediums.

Mary - Would you lose your US citizenship? I got Prismacolors in Mexico, and remember noticing they were locally made.

JayD
08-03-2005, 07:26 AM
Anita, maybe next time. I work a heck of a lot of immigration cases--I would not worry about fitting in--although, I have to admit that I am personally fond of baseball caps.

CJ--I have noticed a disturbing trend with crafts stores--less art and more yarn--I guess they are catering to the lucrative kitty cat market. I will call Hobby Lobby today and see if they will consider getting it for me special order ( I am a block away)--if they cannot then "A-Blicking I Will Go"!!!

Mary Woodul
08-03-2005, 07:26 AM
Anita, No, no, I would never lose my America Citizenship. :eek: The Mexican government now allows certain people that have lived here long enough to have dual citizenship but I guess I should check it out with US Immigration.

Dave, the water trickling out of the faucet, is very nice, it is cristal clear.

Hi Judi!

BTW, Anita, yes I got my Prismas here and they are locally made by Berol and that is why the art stores don't carry them. They say people complain about them breaking easy but so far I like mine and they have the largest varaiety of colors.

mhimeswc
08-03-2005, 08:22 AM
Dave, you are going to love Hawaii! I envy you. I made a couple of trips there when my daughter and hubby were stationed on Oahu. (Air Force). Yes, they have water. :) And you won't believe the gorgeous color. I spent a lot more time IN it than sketching it, but I did bring back lots of photos.

Michelle

Cathie Jones
08-03-2005, 09:02 AM
You could always order the big bumper tub of 72 pencils!

What a good idea, Dave! :rolleyes: Except they only have 12-packs. Have a great trip - we'll miss you!
Good faucet, great water, by the way! :clap:

sultry
08-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Dave Alloha (is for goodbye too I think) lol & hello hee hee, anyways have fun & your water faucet looks really great I like how you have the shine on chrome or metal. As Mary says the water stream looks crystal clear too. :) I like how your strokes you rendered show a ripple under the nozzle (darker to show its under it) and also how the stream flows with your long strokes going down. Great contour & value strokes. :clap:

mothsailor
08-03-2005, 12:06 PM
Thanks for the comments! I'm glad to say that we're all going to Hawaii!!
There's a 72 pencil tub available in the UK, so I thought you'd be able to get it here too. Ah well...

JayD
08-03-2005, 01:21 PM
Dave, for gods sake, Man!! The place is FULL OF WATER--you take that sketch pad along and get us some sketches of the good life so that us less privaleged can at least imagine. Aloha, my friend--may the strings on your ukelele never break.

By the way, take the fawcett with you--you should work on developing this--a great angle--wonderful water--and METAL--perfect!!!

Mary Woodul
08-03-2005, 01:51 PM
Have a good trip Dave and enjoy that ocean. I think you love it form the sailing you have talked about.

Cathie Jones
08-03-2005, 02:52 PM
By the way, take the fawcett with you--you should work on developing this--a great angle--wonderful water--and METAL--perfect!!!

METAL? Did you say METAL?

JayD
08-03-2005, 03:14 PM
Heh...heh..heh.....

Anita Murphy
08-03-2005, 03:23 PM
It is really hard to find a good water image. :confused: They look great in colour and then are nothing in B&W as the tones are so similar!! The biggest challenge is going to find something to do!

Can I do flags instead? :D Got great pics of flags! :D

Cathie Jones
08-03-2005, 03:24 PM
Heh...heh..heh.....

Aw, geez . . . I was afraid you were gonna say that!!! :eek:

Yep, I was gonna say the same thing about the water references - good in color, icky in greyscale.

cmwynn
08-03-2005, 06:02 PM
I love Dick Blick, since I can't get out often to shop, and they have a wonderful selection of everything possible. But the shipping department drives me crazy. I just opened a package with 5 items. The main one I really wanted was substituted for with something from another department altogether. Last year I had a very large order, with 7 things missing and 7 things there that I had not ordered. The price difference was about one dollar and they were things I could use eventually, but I do get testy! It is a grab bag to say the least.
Chuck - Looking back, I agree that I overdid the background trees. I wanted to be sure there was a difference between the trees and the reflections.
Dave - inspired choice of water, jumps off the page as just what it is.

Judi1957
08-03-2005, 06:51 PM
Those heh heh heh's are disturbing-LOL

Hi Connie! Sounds like Blinking really gives you a mess. YOU get testy-can't imagine (me too) :D

Aww-the server went down at work and ended up staying a half hour over the over the OT I already had in. So frustrated I forgot to go to Michael's for the Derwents. :(

Anita :wave: -(don't think the flag thing will fly with the Boss)

Dave :wave: I always tell Pat I will get to Hawaii when he takes the life insurance money and flys there to sprinkle my ashes on the beach :eek:

Hi JayD, Sults,Mary & Michelle! :wave:

Mary Woodul
08-03-2005, 09:21 PM
Your right Judi those he,he,he, mean something we don't know. :evil:

Well I wanted to do a little something graphite while I finished the water cp and I'm afraind it looks like anything, but what it is. I was boiling some eggs for a potato salad and went for my camera but got side tracked by WC and carried away by Reinhard's sweater and shirt demo. When I went back to the pot there was just a puddle of water and these huge bubbles that look more like rocks than bubbles. But anyway JayD, I wanted you to know that I was working. :angel:

Anita Murphy
08-03-2005, 09:47 PM
Mary - YOu are amazing - this is so cool!

Judi :wave: neither do I! :p

Judi1957
08-03-2005, 09:53 PM
M-mmmm-who wants a dish of Mary's potato salad? LOL

Kidding Mary, That is cool, and great job on the glass as well! :clap:

cmwynn
08-03-2005, 10:54 PM
Oh. yes, Mary. I really like the pot and stove and that's the way I boil eggs, too.
This one was just for fun, I think it looks like water. Let me know what you think.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Aug-2005/29839-Boy__with_Hosexm.jpg

JayD
08-03-2005, 10:56 PM
Mary, now that is just plain nifty. I would never had thought of that --very original.

Here is a study sketch that I am doing from some Waterhouse paintings. Just a quick sketch but fun to do.

Connie--I LOVE the water from the hose. A picture that all of us can appreciate right now.

Mary Woodul
08-03-2005, 11:05 PM
Anita and Judi, when Beto got home he asked me what that horrid scent was? He didn't want any either. :( Thank you all anyway!!!

Connie your water from the hose definitely looks like water!

Thank you JayD and I love your fountain. You get your transparencies so clean.

JayD
08-03-2005, 11:09 PM
You know folks--I love to cook so if anyone wants to send me potatoe salad recipes, I would love it.

mothsailor
08-03-2005, 11:16 PM
Mary, great job!

Connie, that's a really great idea for a drawing. Nicely done, too! :clap: :clap:

It looks like I've already done my assignment for Class 25, then! :cat:

Cathie Jones
08-03-2005, 11:35 PM
It looks like I've already done my assignment for Class 25, then! :cat:

Fat chance Senor Aloha! :D

mothsailor
08-03-2005, 11:37 PM
Fat chance Senor Aloha! :D

I had no idea that they speak Spanish in Hawaii.

mothsailor
08-04-2005, 12:50 AM
Here's a quick sketch of some white water. Back to the packing!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Aug-2005/52179-rapids.jpg

mhimeswc
08-04-2005, 02:09 AM
Mary, I love your pot of "overcooked" water, and Connie, the boy with the hose is terrific.

I have gone through some of my Hawaii photos, and it's true - I can find what I think is a great water photo, but when I convert it to grayscale it gets too dark and loses most of the midtones. I printed a few out today while packing for my watercolor workshop (oh, the stuff I need to pack!!!). I only have one more day to do a drawing before I leave, but since the workshop is near the water, I can probably manage some water sketches on site.

Michelle

Mary Woodul
08-04-2005, 06:52 AM
You know folks--I love to cook so if anyone wants to send me potatoe salad recipes, I would love it.

Just don't over cook the eggs and you'll be fine. :D

Thank you,Dave. Your's is very good, the flow of water looks rapid, I like it. Now your way ahead of us.

Michelle, have a wonderful time at that work shop. :envy:

Good morning, everyone ! :wave:

sultry
08-04-2005, 07:36 AM
Ohhhhhh, Mary great glass & water rendering :clap: I like the values and how smooth they are.

Connie, The water looks like it is shooting out of the sprout so cold and he looks like he is really satisfying his thirst. Great value tones too.

Dave, wow that is nice rendering of water, you can see the raging water fighting.

Jay, I like that drawing it is very peaceful looking :)

oh &

Anita and Judi, when Beto got home he asked me what that horrid scent was? He didn't want any either. Thank you all anyway!!!

ROFL, Mary you gave me a laugh & a Half!!!! that is too funny. I can relate but its the other way around for me & Carmelo, I cannot stand the smell of cooked eggs & he eats this awful cheese that smells like feet. ugh & I almost vomit from the smell. lol

Anita Murphy
08-04-2005, 07:50 AM
JayD - I love to cook too. I have three basic potato salad recipes I use. One traditional with mayo, one with vinaigrette (homemade not out of a bottle) and one that uses roasted potatoes. Let me know if you want any of them. The lady with the pot is really nice. Very classical!

Mary - I have lost count of the times I have boiled things dry. Last time was artichokes, but they tasted really good afterwards, like they had been grilled!

Connie - I love the hose - you are way ahead of us all.

Hi Judi and Sults and Dave and anyone else :wave:
Hey Judi, he missed the flag thing!

Judi1957
08-04-2005, 12:52 PM
Hi everybody!! :wave:

Connie-you did it AGAIN! I LOVE this! Great idea for a drawing!
Yep-that looks like water to me! :clap: :clap:

Dave-Nice whitewater- :clap: (are you rafting?)
Hmmm-guess you are in the air now-huh? :D :D :D

Fozbot
08-04-2005, 02:52 PM
it rained this morning so i went out and took a pic of the raindrops on the hood of my car. where the car color darkens i'm not sure how to do the rain drops.:confused: i don't even know if the rest look like drops. C&C welcome...please! also on the top right the water was running off in sheets. did i get anywhere close with that?

Cathie Jones
08-04-2005, 03:12 PM
Bad news about the erasers . . . got a message today from Shoplet (remember that name and NEVER shop there!!). The erasers have been discontinued and they will no longer be carrying them. This after abourt a week of e-mailing back and forth trying to figure out what they had and had not shipped.

I'll try somewhere else.

chaz
08-04-2005, 03:13 PM
Hi Guys and ladies. A quick one, water over a limestone outcropping Done on 50 pound sketch paper.

Nice hose and laddie drinking Connie. White water rafting are you Dave? or just dreaming whilst packing? Mary you boil eggs like I do. Near to scorching them. But, wifie did the best trick. Put them to boiling, then we left for burgers. When we got back, three egg explosion of burnt egg all over the kitchen.

Neat fountain Jayd. did i miss someone? If so I apologize. My short term memory is getting shorter by the day. More later.

Fozbot, Me thinks the drops are too flat. The should be more round like half a grapefruit or half a marble. also a little modeling, dark on the bottom and the side away from the light.

Chuck

Chuck

Amethyst
08-04-2005, 03:22 PM
Thank you everyone for your concern and prayers. Things are almost back to normal now. The floods, it seems, was caused by cloud burst over Mumbai.

I have been following this thread and am impressed with lovely water drawings. Good work everyone :)

JayD
08-04-2005, 03:25 PM
Chaz--thanks--I have a sketchbook called Masters Sketches and I copy sketches of masterworks there for practices--I have sketchbooks labeled for different subjects--that way when i do a real piece, I have lots of information to go back to. In this instance the artist was John WATERhouse.

Mary Woodul
08-04-2005, 03:43 PM
Hi Sults, thank you, after reading Chuck's story, mine wasn't so bad. :D

Hi Anita and Judi. Anita, are still in Washington?

Hi Fozbot, those rain drops are great. Nice idea!

CJ, no wonder I couldn't fine any here but I finally found mine. It was with all of the colored pencils and since it looks the same, I couldn't find it.

Chuck, I was lucky then, to get to the pot in time. I love your water. The way you suspended it looks terrific.

Amathyst, I'm glad to hear that things are better and you are OK.

Mary Woodul
08-04-2005, 03:44 PM
Hi JayD, we crossposted!!! :wave:

Judi1957
08-04-2005, 06:56 PM
Amythyst, I am glad the floods have subsided. :) :) :)

Whoops-missed commenting JayD, Sorry. Lovely study! :clap: I googled for him. Beautiful paintings! I loved The Lady of Shalott and Boreas the best of what I saw. Here's a good site for Waterhouse (http://www.jwwaterhouse.com/) and here's another (http://www.arc-store.com/browse-by-artists.html) for an expanded selection of artist's works. You probably already have them but someone else may be interested. :angel:

Fozbot, yeh I'll agree with Chuck on the flatness, but truthfully it looks like droplets on a hood. :) I like the trans to the sheets of water. :clap:

Chuck, Love the flowing water from the pitcher-great job! :clap: :clap:

Hi Mary and CJ. Sorry about your order CJ :( . Hopefully you will find them elsewhere.

JayD
08-04-2005, 08:31 PM
Amethyst--I did not forget you--I woke up last night with a headache that ran from the back of my neck to my entire head and into my eyes. WOW!! I still have it and have been through at least 10 of the extra strength tylenols. Anyway, I wanted to say that I was glad that things are starting to calm down. Also, consider using your talent to record the events that have occurred--so that people will have a record from an artists view.

Chaz, I love the pouring water--I hope you will be doing more.

Fozzie--I think you nailed the drops. I have an excercise for you to try. Draw a rose as best as you can--now add some drops to the petals. I hope you do this.

Mary Woodul
08-04-2005, 09:17 PM
This is turning out to be a lot harder than the bottle but I think in part it isthe canson paper that I bought here. I prefer the ledger I was working on with the bottle. I still have to try the cartridge, the Bristol and I have some Strathmore. This is not finished.....I know I need a lot more layers but I will let it rest tomorrow and work on a graphite.

JayD I have been reading a lot of those threads in the CP library and they do have so many nice tips. I think I will order Kullbergs CD.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Aug-2005/43096-hipopotamo.jpg

Mary Woodul
08-04-2005, 09:23 PM
Oops, forgot to thank Grunge for the image in the RIL.

Judi1957
08-04-2005, 09:45 PM
It may not be done but it is coming along beautifully Mary! :clap:
Great use of colors!
I guess you have not been able to get the Stonehenge? :(

Mary Woodul
08-04-2005, 10:04 PM
Thank you Judi, it looks a little undefined so I hope I can't make it brighter with more layers. No I haven't been able to get the Stonehenge but I will try to order it or get it in San Antonio next time I go.

Fireman's kid
08-04-2005, 10:09 PM
Hi gang! There are some great water drawings here so far!

Mary, I like your hippo. He looks nice and cool with all of the cool colors you used. It does seem like he has fewer layers than your other cp stuff but you are off to a great start. Your pot of boiling water was good too. Sorry the eggs got burnt. All in the name of art. :D

Dave, nice rapids! Did you pick this pic because you are feeling rushed what with packing for Hawaii and all. Not to worry, I'm sure you will relax when you get there. Please let me know how Sarah likes it. I am dying to go back, but trying to wait until my girls are old enough to appreciate it. Especially since for us it is a 13 hour plane ride!! :eek: Opps, almost forgot, your faucet drawing was great too! Looks like you will have no trouble with whatever metal challenge JayD throws our way.

Connie, your drawing of the boy with the hose brings back memories. I remember drinking ice cold hose water on a hot summer day. It was so refreshing, better than a glass with ice! Of course now people say you shouldn't do it. Kids now don't get to enjoy any of the simple pleasures.

Chaz, I like your drawing of the water flowing over the limestone. You have definitely caught the look of pouring water!

Jay, nice sketch of the girl with the water jug. Very tricky that not only does it have water in it but was originally done by someone named Waterhouse. ;)

Fozbot, your rain drops look like they would on my car. If a car hasn't been waxed in a while (like mine) they won't bead up into that nice half sphere. So it reads as rain to me. Just a question about where it was running off in sheets - did that part have any highlights? Right now it looks a bit like it could be a shadow or reflection of a tree. I thought some highlights might help, but I haven't done my own assignment yet so what do I really know?! :D

CJ - sorry to hear about the erasers! There is nothing more frustrating than to be waiting for something to arrive in the mail only to find out it is never coming!

Michelle - Have a great time at your workshop! It sound like it will be a blast and also very productive.

Anita - congrats on your US citizenship!!! Did you have/are you having fun in DC? (I hope this next question isn't too nosey, :o ) Was it hard to get your US citizenship since you are a Brit living in Mexico? I'm asking for selfish reasons. I have good friends who moved to the US for the husband's job. While here they had twin girls. But when the girls were 3 they moved back to England. It was only a few months after 9/11 and they felt it would be too difficult to get approval to stay. (He was on a work visa but was hating his job.) I really want them to move back and think they would consider it if it didn't seem like such a hassle. :)

Hi Sults! :wave:

Well, I hope I got everyone. Time for me to go and shuffle the hubby off to bed since he is already asleep in the chair. I don't know if I will get any water posted in the next week and a half. I started a glass drawing last night and so far it is going slow.

JayD
08-04-2005, 11:22 PM
Here is another post--featuring a pal of mine--cp on stonehenge--Mary, you are right you have to just keep building the layers--make sure you check out the circulism thread by the way in the cp forum--on this one--note the water. The title of the picture is "Doggy Dream".

JayD
08-04-2005, 11:26 PM
Oh, Mary--I love the drawing--I meant to say that more layers will make the drawing richer and colored pencil has a strange way of working itself out so be patient. Dont be afraid to play with and mix the colors.

Troy Rochford
08-04-2005, 11:52 PM
Mary you are doing a wonderful job. Btw I don't think you will enjoy trying cp on bristol, if that's what you were referencing above.

Guess I'll be running along now. My computer prob has rapidly gone from bad to worse today, and I'm good for about 2 minutes on line at a time now before my internet connection crashes.

Mary Woodul
08-05-2005, 07:32 AM
Thank you Stacy, yes it does have few layers so I'll work some more on it.

JayD, I love that CP, it looks quite vivid and sort of has the same color palette that the Hippo does. I will check out the circulism thread. I am really interested in learning CP but I believe it is one of thos things like knitting that you can have to pick up when you want to so you won't rush it. My first mistake here, was putting too much pressure on it, but the nice thing is that everyone is so generous with time and expreince to teach you.

Thank you Troy for letting me know about the Bristol before I used it. I'll attach the photo reference because as iti is it is not very defined but I will still keep layering.

Mary Woodul
08-05-2005, 07:34 AM
Now that I see them together I see what I haven't done. :D

Anita Murphy
08-05-2005, 08:04 AM
Mary I love your hippo. Take me back to my childhood. Yes I am still in DC and will be for another week yet. Going on a marathon shopping spree today!

Chaz- great water!

Fozzie, I love the raindrops!

JayD - its great to see you posting work too! Such still water!

Stacy - Having a great time in DC. The heat doesn't bother me so I am quite happy trekking around all day. I think your friend's daughters automatically become US citizens as they were born here. But don't quote me.

I am planning to get some work done any day now - WHEN I CAN FIND SOME STONEHENGE! Futile trip yesterday to Utrecht who had NOTHING on my list. Not even the cadmium scalet oil paint I wanted. Will try another store this weekend.

Anita Murphy
08-05-2005, 08:07 AM
Oh and hi to Sults, Judi, AMethyst and Dave and everyone else

JayD
08-05-2005, 09:47 AM
Mary, an advantage of circulisme is that you do NOT need to sharpen your pencil yet stunning effects can be easily achieved. You primarily work on colored ground so you do not need to track down stonehenge--the creator of the technique even works of pear and walnut board.

sultry
08-05-2005, 10:36 AM
Hiyas everyone :)
Chuck, wow that is clear water and the value tones look wonderful.

Jay I like that pic of your best friend by the water. :)

Wowwweeee Mary, your doing wonderful in cp and such a character your rendering. I love it. :)

Jay I did a water pic way back for Carmelo's birthday but I will not post it here it has nudity.

Mary Woodul
08-05-2005, 10:55 AM
Anita, Lucky you! :envy: Have fun!!!

JayD, that sounds like the perfect thing for me, I will check it out today. I'm still thinking of your buddy in the "Doggy dream". That is touching.

Thank you Sults, I'll keep trying. Each day that passes I feel so grateful to have found WC and all of you great people. A lot of my unemployed friends ask me, "How can you stay in your house all day long?" If they only knew! :D

cmwynn
08-05-2005, 12:13 PM
Fosbot - that really does look like rain on a car. We get lots of heavy rain, so sheets are as common as the drops.
Chaz - crystal clear water, probably just like the water after going through limestone.
Jay - I have just started to sketch from painting or drawings of masters, from books. I know that is a good practice, they knew so much more than I do. The dog picture has a dreamy look.
Mary - That hippo seems to be enjoying the water so much. You have so much more patience than I, using cp and doing so many layers, but they look great. I know what you mean about friends who don't have enough to do. I have always been a stay-at home mom, keeping busy with home-cooking, sewing, cleaning and more. Now I have no choice but to stay at home most of the time, being partially disabled and not driving. But with all the inspiration I get from WC I could be drawing and paint 24/7. There is always a list of projects waiting for me.
Dave - Hawaii sounds wonderful. I hope it is good weather and you get to sketch a lot.

Fozbot
08-05-2005, 01:00 PM
Fozzie--I think you nailed the drops. I have an excercise for you to try. Draw a rose as best as you can--now add some drops to the petals. I hope you do this.

when you said 'rose' i said NUTS!:eek: but i did it anyway. i thought i'd work on my rose drawing skills as well as the dewdrops. florals aren't my strong point.:(

sultry
08-05-2005, 01:06 PM
Billie what a beautiful rose and I see the drops. :)

Mary Woodul
08-05-2005, 01:55 PM

when you said 'rose' i said NUTS!:eek: but i did it anyway. i thought i'd work on my rose drawing skills as well as the dewdrops. florals aren't my strong point.:(

I doesn't look that way, I think your rose is beautiful. It is incredible what JayD makes us do. :evil: But I thank him so much for it!!!

Hi Connie and Sults. :wave:

Thank you, Connie! I think in the long run we're the happy one's. :D

Troy Rochford
08-05-2005, 02:38 PM
Foz that rose is excellent. Very delicate looking

SILKNSATIN
08-05-2005, 02:41 PM
Connie,billie,dave,chuck,jayd and mary.You all are doing great. :clap:
Sorry I didnt read through all the pages but did look at all the art you all have done on this.
But i will catch up reading later. :wave:

Fozbot
08-05-2005, 02:48 PM
I doesn't look that way, I think your rose is beautiful. It is incredible what JayD makes us do. But I thank him so much for it!!!

i know, Mary. i need to be pushed a little to improve. i don't like to get too far out of my comfort zone if left to my own devises.
thanks for all the positive comments, you guys!:) it's just what i need!

Judi1957
08-05-2005, 06:23 PM
Well Fozzie-Here's another positive comment- Lovely rose! :clap: Doesn't look like you were out of your comfort zone at all. The pedals and shape of the rose are great-I even see the liney texture they have. Nice droplets too!

JayD, Nice drawing- :clap: I remember it I think (or one similar?)-but I don't remember Baily in it.

Hi Mary, Sults, JayD, Anita, Connie, Troy, Bon, Stacey :wave:

Dave-If you are out there- Aloha! :wave:

Blah :wave: I know you'll be here soon!

LOL Mary-I want your job! (staying at home! :envy: )

Time to go hunting for a water drawing to do! :eek:

JayD
08-05-2005, 06:29 PM
Connie, I think I must be suicidal--I just tried to copy a rembrandt sketch (he used brushes to sketch) with a 2b mechanical pencil.

Foz--I love the rose

Judie--Doggie Dream is the finished product of a WIP-I had a lot of fun exploring colored pencil with this one.

Mary, thank you for your comments about my pushing you--I think that there is some incredible talent in this group and that you must not be afraid to push your limits.

Fozbot
08-05-2005, 06:59 PM
thanks Judi and JayD!

Mary Woodul
08-05-2005, 07:06 PM
Hi Judi, Billie and JayD. Troy and Bon also :wave: I'm taking a break today from th hippo and trying to draw a graphite fountain.

JayD I read the thread about circulism and it is fantastic. I want to try the one that has an acrylic underpainting first. The one with the dogs is stunning. There is something about it that gives it a warm glow.

Mary Woodul
08-05-2005, 08:46 PM
Iron toads in a fountain. I guess these can still use some work with the water. It seems that water is not my thing. :(

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Aug-2005/43096-fuente.jpg

mothsailor
08-05-2005, 09:01 PM
Just a quick aloha (if I had a dollar for everytime I've heard that since getting here I'd be a rich man!) from Waikiki! My credit is going to run out soon, so I haven't had time to see what everyone's been doing, but I thought I'd check in. Turns out there is lots of water around here after all!

Anita Murphy
08-05-2005, 10:07 PM
Aloha Dave!

Mary - you are SO good at water! What are you talking about not being your thing?????

Fozzie - great rose! I had thought of doing a flower with water drops -if I could only find some paper!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Judi, JayD, Sults, Michele, Stacy, Bon - everyone

Judi1957
08-05-2005, 11:09 PM
Mary-I think it is coming along beautifully. I love the toads! and the center of the fountain-your shadowing/highlights on the fountain look great! What is the bg there-a stone wall?

Aloha from me too Dave! :wave:

Hi Anita! :wave:

Fozbot
08-05-2005, 11:26 PM
Mary, love your toads!!! that's a complicated subject you chose! i also am enjoying your hippo. that's going to be wonderful when it's complete!

Mary Woodul
08-06-2005, 08:06 AM
Thank you Anita, Judi and Billie.

Judi, I guess that does look like a stone wall. I had taken this close up for a photography project, "scavenger hunt" that had to be titled "wet", so I had concentrated on the splashing water, but when I turned it to the grey scale it translated black. It also turned out to be very hard to put the splashiness into drawing. :eek:

Troy Rochford
08-06-2005, 12:48 PM
Mary I may be able to help you with this but it's rather unorthodox. Check PMs in a few min. Looks good, btw.:)

JayD
08-06-2005, 12:59 PM
Troy, please feel free to share your unorthodox method with us.

Mary, One thing that I see when I look at the fountain is that where the base and thewater meet there are not broken reflections. Same with those frogs--dont forget to use your centerlines. Actually I went back and I see the start of the reflections Try going for some deeper tones in the water--also go back and look at my diagram of the wave--the wave principles apply here. Also, the fountain shoots up, comes back dow and desplays and action of force causing the water to foam. Again, anything with a highligh has a lowligh and foaming water is no exception. There is kind of a violence in this fountain that I really like. Keep going. I think you just need to develop more definition to separate out the objects from each other and the background.

Mary, there is a FREE piece of editing software called "The Gimp" or "Gimp" that you can download and it has a neat feature under filters called photocopy. You can also find this feature in photoshop. Try that on your photo because it breaks the image down into readable conponents.

Troy Rochford
08-06-2005, 01:08 PM
Jay - I see that you, like Anita, have developed the strange affliction that zaps you of your faith in me!;)

I PM'd Mary and told her that I'll post that info if you guys want, but I didn't want to post advice that some purists may consider taboo. I'll fwd you the info Jay.

Edit: Mary says she thinks this may be helpful to others, so here it is.

On splashes and spray near the water's surface, look at my Golden Gate piece posted in the water thread on page 1. I know it's small but that's the only way I could upload it.

Here's how I did the splashes, and you can do this too, provided that you haven't sprayed your drawing with fixative. It'll just require some backtracking and erasing.

What I did with that was isolate the places where I wanted a lot of sea spray or what have you, and I basically treated them as highlights and left them white. As my surrounding tones approached the edges of that white area, I would intentionally lay them on a little heavier, which of course looked totally wrong. But..there was a method to my madness, lol. I then would take a sheet of notebook paper and ball it up, so you end up with this stiff blending tool with sharp corners and all kinds of crazy stuff. Then in a circular motion with light pressure I would go around the edges of that highlighted area, blending my heavier layer of graphite into the center. The notebook paper results in a rough blend with little dots and dashes here and there that are of differing values and intensity. Try that on a portrait and you will of course have a huge problem on your hands, but for this purpose, it's perfect.

Beyond that, if you want individual droplets splashing up against a dark background, or even individual droplets splashing in and around that misty spray area, indent the paper so they stay white and look natural rather than drawn. If you look closely, I used that technique to get some dings and little air bubbles inside the marbles in the foreground of my marble piece. Nothing to it. I know some people adamantly oppose the idea of indenting the paper for any reason, but I say if it gets the desired effect, so be it. It doesnt ruin the paper in my opinion, since the idea is to produce a nice drawing. it's not like you're going to use the paper for something else later!

Mary Woodul
08-06-2005, 01:44 PM
Thank you Troy, I just answered your PM and it is helpful.

Thank you JayD, I will go back to waves in your drawing and also check out the Gimp.

I'm posting the photo I took and the grey scale for more suggestions. :D

Oopps, I saved and now lost the original. I should have used photoshop, but I have another version with slow motion.

JayD
08-06-2005, 02:13 PM
Troy, I am to zapped from yardwork to zap--that is very interesting--VERY HILLBERRY--as a matter of fact if you look at what he does with frisket and the like--it is not at all what one would expect to see used in a drawing. I think maybe we should have a class dedicated to exploring unusual techniques--I am making a list so what do you think?

Mary, the photo really helps--I would like you to give troy's technique a shot as a challenge but also do a thumbnailed or smaller version of the same pic and try it with erasers--I would be interested in seeing the effects of both. Go for it!!!

Oh, do me a favor post the original color version for me.

Troy Rochford
08-06-2005, 02:21 PM
Troy, I am to zapped from yardwork to zap--that is very interesting--VERY HILLBERRY--as a matter of fact if you look at what he does with frisket and the like--it is not at all what one would expect to see used in a drawing. I think maybe we should have a class dedicated to exploring unusual techniques--I am making a list so what do you think?

Sounds fine to me. Btw, MARY - make sure if you do try my method, USE LIGHT PRESSURE when blending with the notebook paper. If you need it darker or whatever, lay down some more graphite and do it over again. Don't blend with heavy pressure or that notebook paper will carve up your drawing surface like a turkey and it will look like someone took a sandblaster to your drawing!

JayD
08-06-2005, 02:28 PM
Ah, troy just hit on something that was bothering me--you are a superior artist but your choices of paper may or may not break the drawing. I am putting in here a link in the Learning Center some compiled links on paper. This is for EVERYBODY. Be picky about your paper--your art may be your body but you paper are you clothes and your art is what you wear. Here is the link--enjoy:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280018

Mary Woodul
08-06-2005, 02:38 PM
Troy and JayD, I had put fixative on it so that I could scan it but I was able to find some tack adhesive and I see that the graphite is coming off from the background which will help to separate the frog from the background and then I might be able to try Troy's technique. I will do a smaller version, erasing to see what I can do with this because for some reason I can't seem to get the reflections I would like in water.

JayD, I'm posting a similar version of the picture only with slow speed because I used my camera program to go to the greyscale and saved and lost the original. I went to the Scavenger Project where it is but the image won't open. The picture is similar except I think the one I drew was darker in the background.

Troy I will try your method, remember I'm misxed media, and you can't imagine what i will do for something new. :eek:

Mary Woodul
08-06-2005, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the paper link, JayD!!! :D

Troy Rochford
08-06-2005, 02:41 PM
Ah, troy just hit on something that was bothering me--you are a superior artist but your choices of paper may or may not break the drawing. I am putting in here a link in the Learning Center some compiled links on paper. This is for EVERYBODY. Be picky about your paper--your art may be your body but you paper are you clothes and your art is what you wear. Here is the link--enjoy:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280018

I don't know what Mary is using, but I've been working almost exclusively on Stonehenge lately (I'm referring to dry media only) unless the subject dictates otherwise. I still have a stockpile of illustration board, and what I'm not using for pen and ink work I am using up for these class projects and stuff like that.

I picked up some various colors of stonehenge yesterday Jay, so be on the lookout for my glass on black. Now I just need to figure out what to do with the other colors.

I also got a sheet of Arches 300gsm for my top secret fish project. I've actually never gotten around to using this, so I'm looking forward to it.

JayD
08-06-2005, 02:58 PM
I am working something on the arches right now--I have opted after some experimentation to stick to the smooth side. I have never tried colored stonehenge but I am due for restocking my supply so I will pick some up. Canson Mi-tientes annoys me anyway.

Mary Woodul
08-06-2005, 03:14 PM
JayD, it will be interesting to see how you did with the experiment.

Troy what I used yesterday was some kind of lightweight watercolor paper with a texture to it. What I have but don't know what to use next is, Strathmore for watercolor and pastels. Smooth Carteridge and Bristol board. I have not used these and I also have a pad of Arches that I have had for a long time but I have never done WC, so there it is. What I have been using is something they have by the name of Ledger. I think I liked it better than the Canson. I also have a small pad of Bockingford that is quite thick and has a texture to it. They have vellum here also but I don't know what that is for so i do have to read JayD's thread.

Troy Rochford
08-06-2005, 04:04 PM
Personally I think that Canson Mi Tientes stuff is garbage. I don't get that junk at all. Maybe it's just me.

Fozbot
08-06-2005, 04:21 PM
troy now let me make sure i'm understanding the indention thing. you use something, but not a pencil to make a dent in the paper and then the graphite will ride right over it and not deposit anything in the dent you made? is this what you're saying? don't mind me...i'm kinda slow sometimes. and i'm willing to try anything to get the look i want. i'm no purist!

Troy Rochford
08-06-2005, 04:30 PM
Billie that's essentially correct. I do a lot of pen and ink work and I'm the world's worst about not cleaning my rapidograph pens. I have an old set that I ruined and had to replace, but I keep them around for that very purpose. When making indentions in a drawing, I put a piece of whatever paper is handy over the drawing, then pick the old rapidograph pen with whatever nib size I feel is appropriate, and I write, draw, stipple, whatever I need to do, with moderately heavy pressure on the cover sheet. Remove the cover sheet and voila! Your drawing surface has little indentions in it. Then proceed as you described.

Fozbot
08-06-2005, 05:28 PM
Troy what do you normally use for a cover sheet? also i have no clue what radiograph pens are but that's ok.:) i'm sure i'll come up with something around here to use. hey! if you use a cover sheet you could use a pencil to make your indentions...right?!

JayD
08-06-2005, 06:09 PM
Mary for indention, you can also use tracing paper. You Just lay the paper over the drawing and let's say that you want veins in a leaf or somthing like that--you take a nip or a dull point and you draw those following your drawing design--the nib will impress the line into your drawing. Next when you go back to to lay on graphite those lines or marks will remain fairly clean or white--it is a method used, by the way, to do whiskers on animals.

Troy Rochford
08-06-2005, 06:21 PM
Troy what do you normally use for a cover sheet? also i have no clue what radiograph pens are but that's ok.:) i'm sure i'll come up with something around here to use. hey! if you use a cover sheet you could use a pencil to make your indentions...right?!

Jay has given you the most logical answer above for paper, because that way you can see exactly where you are indenting. Obviously if you're just doing things like water droplets flying through the air you don't have to be that precise, but you would definitely want to use tracing paper for doing something like whiskers. I rarely ever draw animals so usually if I'm indenting I just use a sheet of copy paper because I don't have to be so precise about the placement. I do the same if I'm doing flyaway hairs on a human portrait or whatever. I just ballpark it without being able to see exactly where they are going, which I actually find helpful because it keeps me from "over-thinking" my placement of the stray hairs.

sultry
08-07-2005, 09:03 AM
Hey Everyone :wave:

Wow Mary I like your fountain and your getting wonderful useful advice from Jay & Troy.

JayD
08-07-2005, 09:17 AM
I have GOT to control these eyes. My first reaction sults was --why did she draw a partial of a dog peeing--then I saw the melted ice cube and remembered that Bailey loves to lick ice cubes and then it clicks that this is one of your bear friends engaged in an Ice Capade. Frist, Sorry for the mistake and secondly, grayscale your picture and see if you can enhance your current value scale--it will help add more definition--especially around the tongue. Nice work!

sultry
08-07-2005, 09:21 AM
Sorry did not want that impression, so I removed it.

Mary Woodul
08-07-2005, 09:44 AM
Sults, I am glad JayD was the first to see it, :D I also saw the same, but now I see the tongue and as JayD says, I think it just needs some more definition and also on the face, because of the position, it is hard to see the nose bridge.

Hi JayD! I just downloaded The Gimp, now I hope I will know how to use it. Everything I know about computers and software, I have learned myself, because my sons are always to busy and Beto is inclined on the mechanical side and not on the computer side. There are a lot of things I still don't know about, in the use of computers. The program looks great and less complicated than photoshop.

Anita Murphy
08-07-2005, 10:21 AM
JayD - great link - explained a lot. Especially the first one on the list.

JayD
08-07-2005, 11:24 AM
Hi Anita--I agree--these are very helpful links.

Sults!!!!--I apologized to you by pm for my comments but I wanted to make sure that I apologized to you in public as well. I DID NOT mean to embarrass you--I strongly respect your work and I have been learning a lot from you. Please repost your bear for us.

Mary, the GIMP is still a work in process but it is already, INMHO, one of the best graphic editors around and it is FREE!! The documentation is still a bit sparse but for basics, it is very good.

Mary Woodul
08-07-2005, 11:44 AM
Sults, I agree with JayD as I told you in my PM also, that you should repost it and define the face. I am also sorry for expressing my interpretion.

JayD
08-07-2005, 11:47 AM
I'm from the south--I probably could have put it a little more delicately. I think Sults will have total control over me for a while. This is a major guilt moment.

Mary Woodul
08-07-2005, 01:12 PM
We are both from the south JayD and this will be a major guilt moment for me also............geeeeeeezzzzz!!!

Troy Rochford
08-07-2005, 01:42 PM
Uh, okay... I hope you guys get that all worked out! Just checking in.

Carry on...:)

sultry
08-07-2005, 01:52 PM
Jay & Mary please do not feel guilty at all. I did not want to keep up a drawing that right away would show that.
I decided to work on it more before I post it again. Only this time, I will make sure to make the puppy look like a puppy face instead of what you saw.
So stop with the guilt feelings, I wub you both :)

JayD
08-07-2005, 02:28 PM
We Wub you too!!

JayD
08-07-2005, 02:28 PM
We Wub you too!!

And we also wub Twoy! :D

chaz
08-07-2005, 02:38 PM
Water flowing with force from a faucet. done with the following percils, 5b, 9b, h, f, derwent pencils (not the new tinted ones) 2b, 3h mechnical pencils, a wolf carbon and a 2b charcoal. blended with tortillions and tissue paper and a kneaded eraser. Why all the "Stuff? Why not. I had them lying around so I used them. Probably a number 2 writing pencil and a kleenex would done as well.

The background looks wavy because it is. The paper I drew it on, kind of wrinkled into waves in the humidity. 55 pound strath sketch paper. 120 sheets for 6 bucks. you can see through it almost. Good for lots of things, but not for heavy blending and rubbing. By they way. I find the wolf carbon pencil awkward to use. Kind of scratchy on the paper and it doesn't blend well. Sort of like charcoal, but not lilke charcoal. Know what I mean?

Chuck

lets try this again. Forgot to include the drawing.

Judi1957
08-07-2005, 02:59 PM
OK we are such a wubby group and I wub you all!

Sults-please repost I would love to see your drawing.

JayD-you are such a troublemaker today- :evil: :eek: :D

Chaz-the only things is I think the are water needs to trail off insead of bluntly ending-like it is frozen in time and some more tones/blending with the metal. Otherwise it is a really nice drawing.

Hey-anybody see CJ?

sultry
08-07-2005, 03:17 PM
lol sent it in pm Judi, I am not doing that again (inserts shaking head smiley here).

Chuck, what comes to mind for me is that the faucet was just turned on and it was stopped up and it is all blasting out and you have captured it as it was just in a huge squirt bubbles before it decends down. Good value colors :)

Anita Murphy
08-07-2005, 03:52 PM
Chuck - I think your tap/faucet is great. Ditto what Sults said!

Not entirely sure what all the wubbing was about, but sounds like a lot of mutual appreciation is going on here!

Still haven't found any art materials here - don't think DC goes in for art! So still no water from me. :(

Fozbot
08-07-2005, 05:02 PM
my attempt at flowing and splashing water w/droplets and bubbles AND glass! Troy, i used you idea of indention on this, too with the water droplets on the left side of the pitcher. it worked great! thanks:)! before anyone points out the obvious the reference had the spout of the pitcher away from the viewer. C&C welcome on this!

i went back and included the reference here.

Mary Woodul
08-07-2005, 05:09 PM
Chuck I love the transparency at the start of the faucet, it looks so real. I think if you could continue it a little longer with those values it would not look cut off suddenly.

I send everyone a wubby hug!!!! :D

Fozbot
08-07-2005, 05:13 PM
chaz, you managed to somehow get the look of water coming out of those water areators they have on the faucets. great job!!! also great work on the chrome faucet head, too!:clap:

Mary Woodul
08-07-2005, 05:15 PM
Wow billie, that looks so refreshing. I also like the tint to it.

Troy Rochford
08-07-2005, 05:41 PM
I love cheeseburgers! And lobster.

Judi1957
08-07-2005, 06:10 PM
I love cheeseburgers! And lobster.
Troy-Are you saying you don't wub us? :( :evil:

Billie-Great job on the bubbles and pitcher!

Mary Woodul
08-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Awe, Troy!!! :crying:

JayD
08-07-2005, 06:37 PM
I love nice juicy cats stuffed with watermelon!!!

Cathie Jones
08-07-2005, 07:46 PM
Oh, man. I go away for three days (http://www.oc-classicjazz.org/) and look what happens! Everybody is drawing way ahead of me . . . and what's all this 'wubbing' stuff?? Whatever . . . I wub you guys too.

I seriously need to get water of some kind drawn, but so far haven't done anything that a 1st grader couldn't improve on! Need to get in the zone, I guess, and find something I really want to draw.

Chuck, I like your faucet, but agree that it needs to keep flowing.

Bill, that pitcher is wonderful beyond belief! Now, why can't I do that???:rolleyes:

I like the froggy fountain, too. Missed whatever Sults unposted, but maybe I should apologize to her, too, since everyone else is!! :D I wub you Sults!

Need to get unpacked and get clothes ready for work tomorrow. See y'all later.

Judi1957
08-07-2005, 08:00 PM
CJ! :wave:
Glad you are back-I missed that you were going away-hope you had a grand time. We all 'specially wub you! :D

K-now I am confused-Fozzie are you a Billie in the feminine or Bill in the masculine?

sultry
08-07-2005, 08:07 PM
Rofl I wub you too CJ & missed you like Judi lol,
Hey Billie that looks great and I like the way you rendered part of the mouth of the bottle.
Ok, pleasssssssse do not laugh at my puppy, I had no idea of how to draw him ( I could not find a ref photo anywhere). All of this is imagination.

I have had a nasty migraine for the past 2 days and now its taking over, I give up and here is "Slurp" once again.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Aug-2005/29757-slurp3.jpg

chaz
08-07-2005, 08:08 PM
Thanks folks for your kind comments on the faucet and on the water flowing over the limestone. I agree with all of you about extending the water. I did put fixitive on it, but can work over that. I'll do that and see how it goes. I started that as a doddle on that cheap paper, but it turned into that. The paper is terrible to work on, And I just got tired or lazy and quit. Probably Lazy.

Hey, Foxbot, or Billie great Rose and the drops look fine. Yhey just didn't look right to me on the car hood, sorry about that, But you really did it on that pitcher. good drops, great glass and excellent botlle neck.

May those iron toads are fine, and I like the water. Also the hippo is yours too isn't it. Did you finish them?

Got to go and post another drawing. It's a working drawing of an F4u corsair. that explains my short absence from 101.

I know I missed someone, but went back 5 pages and looked. Sorry someone.!

Chuck

Judi1957
08-07-2005, 08:11 PM
F4u corsair.

??????? What is that Chuck??????

chaz
08-07-2005, 08:19 PM
ww2 navy fighter plane! MY son-in-law is a nut about that plane.

Troy Rochford
08-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Um, I love all of you! It's a regular Bud Light circa 1998 commercial around here! Overlook my culinary outburst above.;)

Nice pitcher fuzzy robot:)

Troy Rochford
08-07-2005, 08:32 PM
Sults - I think you have the makings of a really cute pic... just need to broaden your value range. It's kinda bogged down in darks at this point.

JayD
08-07-2005, 08:42 PM
Foz, looks great--go back and make a center line and re-establish the symetry of the picture and you are home free.

Chaz--I went into radio silence so I did not get to see this posted. I really like the running water. try to soften the edges on you darks on the metal but other wise, it looks really good.

JayD
08-07-2005, 08:44 PM
BTW, if you have not seen Chaz's Corsair--head over to the main forum and you will see his thread. Worth the gander.

JayD
08-07-2005, 08:48 PM
Sults!!! Great work so far--does not look a tiny bit like it did this morning. I think the tiebreaker for this drawing will be how you develop the eyes. Go back and look at your source and focus just on enhancing those soulful eyes. Also, consider that ice dont melt evenly and that dogs don't help. You migh want to, for fun, uneven one of the signs. Great work so far. By the way, I hope your headache subsides. I got attacked by a pretty severe one last week so take care of yourself.

Mary Woodul
08-07-2005, 09:15 PM
CJ thank you and it is nice to see you back; it looks like you had a wonderful time.

Sults, I love your puppy now and you do have a way with eyes. They are soulful. I do agree with intesifying them.

Chuck your fighter plane looks fabulous. Thank you Chuck and yes the Hippo is mine but it is not finished...it needs layers and layers of CP.

JayD and Sults, take care of those migrains. My son goes through them very often and I know how miserable it makes you all feel.

Here are the froggies again but I don't know if I need to intesify the values more. It rained today and I got a beautiful shot of some droplets on the leaves of one of my favorite shrubs. I think it is good for a CP.

I've been watching grandsons for two days and I am really exhausted, I had to even go see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. :wave:

Fozbot
08-07-2005, 09:27 PM
CJ! :wave:
Glad you are back-I missed that you were going away-hope you had a grand time. We all 'specially wub you! :D

K-now I am confused-Fozzie are you a Billie in the feminine or Bill in the masculine?

Judi, i'm Billie in the feminine sense! and here's the pic to prove it;) that's one of my 'puddy tats', Raven behind me.

Fozbot
08-07-2005, 09:40 PM
I have had a nasty migraine for the past 2 days and now its taking over, I give up and here is "Slurp" once again.

sultry, you did this from your imagination and with a migraine, too??!! you must be Wonder Woman! i think it's great actually...nothing there i can find funny. you have excellent visual memory, girl!

Judi1957
08-07-2005, 09:58 PM
Geeze you guys-hope your migraines go away soon!

Sults, adorable pup, I think you need to relook at your darks and lights a bit to give his head form. And I definatley see water from a lapping tongue-not elsewhere-LOL. :D JayD and Mary have good points on his eyes. Love your style!

mary-My daughter wants to see the movie too and she's 19. Hpe you had a good time. Your drawing is tough to see-can you repost it?

Hi female Fozzie-lovely raven!

Chuck, I'm running over to see your plane. :)

Hi JayD and Troy :wave: (Troy-LOL-as you can see we are a tight knit group-been together many moons and will be for many more moons to come)

Mary Woodul
08-07-2005, 10:17 PM
Judi I repeated it in a smaller version but I just resized it so I will use the image uploader. BTW Judi, I did enjoy the movie, it was good and has quite a message.

Billie, that is a nice picture, glad to meet you!!! :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Aug-2005/43096-ranas2.jpg

Troy Rochford
08-07-2005, 10:37 PM
Good stuff, Mary! Uh, what movie are you guys talking about, anyway? I must have missed that.

Cathie Jones
08-07-2005, 11:17 PM
Hi Billie! Nice to meet you. My favorite cousin is a girl named Billie - Billie Jean to be exact. She was the black sheep of the family and I loved her rebelious nature. She has one brother and two sisters and they are too nice. She's all grown up now and doing very important things somewhere - I never remember where she is now.

Troy, thanks for joining the beer commercial wubfest. It's practically a requirement here. You know . . . :music: Wub will keep us together:music:

Nice frog defining, Mary. I don't remember the reference, but I think there could be more water-splash drops, and smaller.

Guess I better go practice what I preach . . . see y'all later.

GROUP HUG . . .
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/07-Aug-2005/23460-smiley_grouphug.gif

JayD
08-07-2005, 11:36 PM
You might want to work on the front frog a little bit mary to give him some volume. Otherwise, I like what you have done.

Troy Rochford
08-07-2005, 11:44 PM
Mary I think your front frog needs a Clint Eastwood smirk!!!!

psssst...Hi Judi;)

Fozbot
08-08-2005, 12:18 AM
my final revision of the water pitcher.

Troy Rochford
08-08-2005, 12:55 AM
Again, good job Billie. Oh and I'm glad you had success with my suggestion.:)

Mary Woodul
08-08-2005, 07:38 AM
Good morning, everyone! :wave:

Troy thank you and BTW I am ging to do some practice sheets with a ball of note book paper. Tha is pretty neat technique.

CJ, I was expecting that from JaYD, but will do, you are right. :( :D That is the hardest part.

JayD, yes poor frog he looks like he's drowing away and would look good with the Clint Eastwood smirk. :D

Billie, I love your pitcher. How did you get that color? It comes up on my screen like a champaign color. It really looks great!

sultry
08-08-2005, 07:46 AM
Hiyas everyone
CJ I cannot wait to see your water pic. Is it going to have a boat in it? lol

I love nice juicy cats stuffed with watermelon!!! Sults!!! Great work so far--does not look a tiny bit like it did this morning. I think the tiebreaker for this drawing will be how you develop the eyes. Go back and look at your source and focus just on enhancing those soulful eyes. Also, consider that ice dont melt evenly and that dogs don't help. You migh want to, for fun, uneven one of the signs. Great work so far. By the way, I hope your headache subsides. I got attacked by a pretty severe one last week so take care of yourself.
You better not like juicy cats Jay I will rename you ALF :eek:
Ok, I will search for a ref pic yet again on just eyes. I have done this from imagination. I do not know what I will find but I will fix the eyes. Your right I will melt my ice. I hope my headaches never come back, I seem ok this morning but then again they all of sudden show up. yeah this was a vomiting and the other thing kinda head ache. lol
Sults - I think you have the makings of a really cute pic... just need to broaden your value range. It's kinda bogged down in darks at this point. Troy if you to were go back and look at my work, you would see one thing that I have a huge fault with, I go to dark everytime. :( Don't ask me why I use 4H and I use F and I barely use HB. Go figure. lol I just have a heavy hand I guess. I know I need to knead some lighter value into this and I will go look for a wrinkly pup. I think they are Sharpi or a bull dog type pup. Maybe even a pug.

Sults, I love your puppy now and you do have a way with eyes. They are soulful. I do agree with intesifying them. JayD and Sults, take care of those migrains. My son goes through them very often and I know how miserable it makes you all feel.
I've been watching grandsons for two days and I am really exhausted, I had to even go see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Mary, I will enhance the eyes lol. yeah I will take care and I like Johnny Dep how was he in the movie?
Mary I like your frog and yes put Clint's smirk on it lol

Judi, i'm Billie in the feminine sense! and here's the pic to prove it that's one of my 'puddy tats', Raven behind me. sultry, you did this from your imagination and with a migraine, too??!! you must be Wonder Woman! i think it's great actually...nothing there i can find funny. you have excellent visual memory, girl!
Billie your a pretty girl and wub your Puddy Tat :) I want one again soooo bad. :( Ty, I try, lol, but you can see memory is not helpful when you need to see values.
Hey your picture looks great I like how you see the splashing of it inside it. wow good work.
Hey it would be nice to see everyone in class in a pic by there pets :)

Geeze you guys-hope your migraines go away soon!
Sults, adorable pup, I think you need to relook at your darks and lights a bit to give his head form. And I definatley see water from a lapping tongue-not elsewhere-LOL. JayD and Mary have good points on his eyes. Love your style!

Ty gf, :), I know I need to find a ref pic to relook lol. Thank goodness you see that Judi, I hated the idea of the other end. What style lol the darks???? lol I love yours gf. :)

Ok, I am going to be searching for a pup pic see ya latZ

chaz
08-08-2005, 08:52 AM
Hey Sults. Finally found your pup. Last time it had the dreded red x, but it's fine now.

You know you have all kinds of suggestions about the picture so I won't add any here, but I have to tell you he looks just like my two year old Golden when he was a pup. He played just like that with his ice. Licked it, let it melt before he ate it, pushed it around with his feet, and finally after a week of this, picked it up and chunched it into pieces. A big dog at last, so he thought. I love the memory your image stirred up.

so maybe the best picdtures are not the ones with all values exactly right, but maybe thay are the images that evoke memories and emotions in the viewer. All the other things, value, blending. composition etc. are just stage props for the real thing.

Chuck

Troy Rochford
08-08-2005, 09:00 AM
Sults - I disagree, you don't always go too dark! I like your work and I'll say again that I think this is cute. But I do think it would benefit from having a wider range of values.

Btw good luck with that headache thing. I have the same problem so, to borrow a quote from a rather unpleasant human being, "I feel your pain." ;)

JayD
08-08-2005, 09:08 AM
Foz--excellent and much, much better!!!

Sults, let me add to what Troy is saying here--I am not the most religious about it myself but, GENERALLY, before I start a drawing, I do a value chart to identify all of the pertinent values needed for the drawing. At the least, you should strive for at least five identifiable values on your chart based on your picture or photoref. More is always better but then you are getting into real photrealism issues. ONe other things, I do not know if the others have noticed this but your drawings have a smoky quality that I find very appealing. You are developing something that more acomplished but more antiseptic artists lack and that is a personal style.

sultry
08-08-2005, 09:21 AM
lol, yeah Chuck I was doing this from memory of my dogs trying to lick a sliding ice cube or even popsicle. lol Do you remember how they would look at it sideways as it moved too? lol Ty for that nice comment too.

Troy, what I mean is I did a piece with an excavator and was told it was too dark, I did the bear pic and was told it was too dark, I did the Muse pic and told it was too dark. I did the fold piece and even Carmelo and again told too dark I think even someone said my wip sp was too. (not by you Jay but others).

Jay once I find a ref pic ( I was doing my duty and C&Cg the Fantasy / Sci - Fi fora (by the way you have to see I just took the key once again :) here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278698&page=4)). I promise to go look for a ref pic to study the values in and try to capture them on my piece.
Ty Jay so are you saying I have a sultry smokey style even in my art? I have been told before I have a sultry smokey style in appearance rofl.

Mary Woodul
08-08-2005, 11:24 AM
Wow, Sults, what an imagination you have. I really applaud that game you all are playing over there. It takes talent and wit. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Fozbot
08-08-2005, 02:26 PM
Billie, I love your pitcher. How did you get that color? It comes up on my screen like a champaign color. It really looks great! (QUOTE)

Mary, that's just what my scanner seems to do to my drawings. i used 2H&HB artist's pencils on this.

mary, troy, judi, JayD, Cathie and sultry, thank you for the positive comments!:) the more time i spend on this thread, the more i'm starting to get to know you guys! this is getting fun!! Cathie, if there had been more sheep in the family i would have probably been the black one, too! does WC have a thread for posting member pics?

sultry
08-08-2005, 02:55 PM
Hey Billie we did post pics in the figure forum at one time ( I cannot rem the name of the thread but it was mostly the members that are regulars in there). I do not know if D/s did that or not we did post our child pics before and that was the Great kid Challenge started by our own Jay. :)

dragonfruit
08-08-2005, 03:28 PM
Hi everyone :wave:

Just got back from holiday and decided to plunge straight in at the front of the classes instead of carrying on slowly catching up through the classes one by one. I'll do them as I go along - much more fun to be where all the active conversation is.

Where did I go? Well talk about timing. Here we are doing WATER and I went to Venice! So I've done a Venice pic.
But I also went to Croatia - absolutely wonderful country - LOTS of water.
Got into conversation with a friend-of-a-friend (a local) who saw me drawing, and on the last day he brought me a present! Check it out - De Reyna in Croatian! Now I have a copy at last!

BTW thanks again for such an interesting class JayD and Subbies, and I love looking at all your drawings. (Wub?) Love the jug, and froggies, and puppy and faucet.

:) :)
Ren

Mary Woodul
08-08-2005, 03:47 PM
Welcome Ren, you really have a nice water drawing from Venice. Youwill enjoy JayD's class. :D

chaz
08-08-2005, 04:39 PM
extended the stream from the faucet. and reposted.

Neat pic of a boat in venice.

De Renya in Croatian?

Forgot the image

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/08-Aug-2005/55994-faucet.JPG

dragonfruit
08-08-2005, 05:03 PM
Chaz - Excellent water.
Yup - Croatian! Don't understand a word...thank goodness for pictures.

Mary - thanks for your comment. I really love your frogs. Interesting texture.

:)
Ren

Troy Rochford
08-08-2005, 05:14 PM
SULTS - I think sometime in the future we should all do child self portrait WIPs. :)

Fuzzy Robot, what's all the talk about sheep? ;)

sultry
08-08-2005, 05:18 PM
Hey Ren WB and glad your up here with us :) good idea to do the other prior classes too.
I really like your Venice rendering (lucky to have visited there too) :) You, Anita, Dave and even CJ are going to places I would like to visit someday. :)
Hey Chuck nice I like how you extended the water flow.
Hey Troy you posted when I did, lol, I will go find the child thread Jay started and post it for ya.

Fozbot
08-08-2005, 05:23 PM
hope this isn't too large to post!

guess not!:)
here's my reference.

sultry
08-08-2005, 05:28 PM
Billie that is cool :) It looks like someone went underwater and that is the air bubbles my betas do that sometimes.

Oh and Troy here is the thread to the "Great Kid Challenge (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206952)".

Fozbot
08-08-2005, 05:31 PM
sultry, i think it's supposed to be water dripping up? actually i never thought about it til you mentioned that. i just saw the pic and liked it.

Troy Rochford
08-08-2005, 05:37 PM
What, the kid portrait thing has been done? :( Well bring it back, I say!!!

Fuzzy your water looks cool. You seem to have a pretty good handle on this. Did you do the glass class? If not, I'd be interested in seeing what you do. It's not too late for you to get on the Magic Marble Bus, ya know?!;)

Fozbot
08-08-2005, 05:45 PM
no Troy, i didn't do the glass class. i looked it over, tho. maybe i'll go back and give it a try. i'm having fun doing water! glass can't be too much different, can it?

chaz
08-08-2005, 05:53 PM
Hey Billie. Great waterdrop image. The little pool at the bottom is what happens when a water drop hits the surface of the water. You nailed maam!

Chuck

Troy Rochford
08-08-2005, 06:00 PM
Billie your next project is to illustrate what happens when a half-eaten chicken sandwich hits the surface of the water. Go! :)

Fozbot
08-08-2005, 06:04 PM
why Troy? did you drop your chicken sandwich in the tub again? send me a reference shot and i'll do the best i can.:rolleyes:

Troy Rochford
08-08-2005, 06:14 PM
They don't allow me to have chicken here at the.... quiet place.;)

Mary Woodul
08-08-2005, 06:34 PM
Chuck, I am impressed with your work on metal. It is very realistic but the water to me seems a little solid. What if you take a kneaded ereaser and break it up a bit. I'm not the one to be saying how, because I don't know how (i couldn't do my own), but maybe Troy or the rest do, if they see it like I see it.

Billie, that is great drawing of the drops.

Troy, go for the Great Kid Challenge. I know JayD would love for new kids self portraits be added, he mentioned it once. I still owe him mine. :eek:

Judi1957
08-08-2005, 06:34 PM
Hi all! :wave:
Sorry to be late-had what is known as a @#$%&* day!

Ren-Venice! How fabulous! :envy: Nice scenic drawing-your water looks good!

Chaz-well.... :clap: :clap:

Fozzie-Your picher is just sparkling with the water now!
That is marvelous with the drop of water and the concentric circles! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mary-your drawing is so full of light now! :clap: :clap:

Hi JayD, Sults, Troy :wave:

Mary Woodul
08-08-2005, 06:36 PM
Judi we crossposted. Hi, sorry about your day, it will be better tomorrow. :D

Judi1957
08-08-2005, 06:46 PM
Hi Mary :wave: -actually anything would be better-lol-sorry to whine. :o

JayD
08-08-2005, 07:23 PM
Foz, I love your water--especially the drops. I am surprised no one as attempted rain yet.

Chaz--if you decide to break up your water (not break your water) consult the sink in your kitchen and bathrooms first--the faucets are different in each and the water flows forth differently--also in each fawcet is a filter--in some instances, things like small pebbles will effect the flow of the water. Likewise so will a loose gasket, a faulty diverter or even something like a flushing toilet or a running washing machine.

For fun, if you do make changes--do like they do in the ads and insert some subliminal images for us. Have fun!!