PDA

View Full Version : Untitled expressionist work

eraserhead
07-31-2005, 11:14 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2005/28368-beyondlove.jpg

This is a piece I did in about a week (very fast for me), and I'm pretty happy with it, especially since it's my first real mixed media piece. It was done strictly from the imagination, starting from an abstract wash, and then looking for potential images within the wash. When I saw the two yellow blotches that would become two faces, I began slowly "carving" out their forms, using sponges and brushes, until everything except the flowers was essentially done.

Then I stared at it... for awhile... prayed a bit... and the flower idea came to me. I had saved this painting that had failed and thought it would make a great collage some day, and after experimenting with it and some other texturized paper, I had my flowers. A little more work on the background and refining the figures, adding some india ink, and thazzit!

11" x 15" watercolor, india ink, and collage on 300# Arches watercolor paper. Comments and/or criticism definitely welcome. Nice to be contributing again!

Oh yeah, the title is tentative, as I stole it from Matt Johnson of the band The The. Thanks Matt. :)

Mary Woodul
08-01-2005, 12:16 AM
Matt, I find this very interesting and very well executed. Your figures and color palette are very appealing.

I added a butt icon to it because in spite of it being like a silouette, think we will be on the safe side to put the butt icon on. Just a little reminder about not forgetting to add it, if you post nudity. :D

Everything works beautifully in this painting. :clap: :clap: :clap:

eraserhead
08-01-2005, 12:24 AM
Hi Mary,

Sorry about neglecting the butt icon. I wasn't sure, as even though it's semi-erotic, the nudity is sort of abstracted, but anyway, thanks for the catch.

Thanks for the compliments! My name isn't Matt, actually; it's Jon. Matt is the guy I stole the "Beyond Love" title from. :)

E

Jakeally
08-01-2005, 05:22 AM
Hi Jon .... this works for me too .... especially the pallette and the composition. Very well done :clap: :clap:

eraserhead
08-01-2005, 05:29 AM
Thanks, Chris! :)

Mary Woodul
08-01-2005, 07:36 AM
Hi Mary,

Thanks for the compliments! My name isn't Matt, actually; it's Jon. Matt is the guy I stole the "Beyond Love" title from. :)

E

Sorry Jon, about the name change, and I am looking forward to seeing more work of yours.

Pars
08-01-2005, 06:57 PM
EH, glad to see you over here at Mixed Media. Really like this and especially like how you conceived and executed it. And now I know after all our chatting up on painters, you are Jon!

and I am Zoe!

And btw, any luck with the japan paper?

eraserhead
08-02-2005, 08:56 AM
Mary: No problem! :)

Zoe: Hey, good to see you again. Thanks for the warm welcome, and for remembering me! :)

I checked out the price of Masa paper at my local art store and it's a bit more expensive than I can afford right now, so I'm opting to stick with the paper I've got in stock for the time being. I do have a sheet of something that might be Masa (bought it a couple years ago so I've forgotten what it is) and am working on a small piece that I've stretched (paper lost some flakes when it dried but seems ok now for the most part) and will let you know how that experiment goes. As usual, I have several irons in the fire. :)