PDA

View Full Version : What do you mainly paint?

Lady Carol
07-31-2005, 06:41 PM
Just wondering what subject matters do you usually paint......?

Faded
07-31-2005, 07:54 PM
Whatever comes to mind. ;)
-David

jan409
07-31-2005, 10:13 PM
What ever seems right at the time. I may see a photo and not think anything of it one day, and another day see a great painting. Not that I can make it a great painting, but I have fun trying. Jan

Marty C
07-31-2005, 10:17 PM
Landscapes and seascapes! Nature inspires me, something new all the time, the light varies, the colours change, endless possibilities.
People are tough, landscapes don't care how you paint them but people can come after you! :D

saphyre arabian
08-01-2005, 12:21 AM
i do landscapes, but have recently really gotten in to painting horses. that seems to be my favorite subject, but i'm about to start other animals and see what i can do with that.
diana

connievanwinssen
08-01-2005, 04:50 AM
I paint a lot of animals, but also flowers and landscapes and people. No buildings however (apart from an occasional ruin). I get inspired by organical forms.

Lulu
08-01-2005, 05:50 AM
people! faceless usually, so they can't come after me Marty:D

Wayne Gaudon
08-01-2005, 06:32 AM
I put flowers but I think I move all over depending on what the mood dictates and of course what I am being exposed to at any particular time.

valchina612
08-01-2005, 07:01 AM
I usually paint what I have the urge for on a given day -- my favourite subjects are Animals, Florals, Landscapes, Sunsets, Buildings, and I am trying to find the time to have a go at Acrylic Portraits -- have done them in other mediums but not acrylic yet. There just isn't enough time in a day. :( :mad:

Val. :wave:

Laurenart
08-01-2005, 07:57 AM
I paint women from my imagination, but they are really introspective I think..so they are all different aspects of myself in each painting. I get my inspiration from dreams, memories, and my imagination. I love the freedom of this style of painting.

jillchz
08-01-2005, 07:11 PM
I like to paint flowers mainly. Mainly Acrylic, sometimes watercolor. Just bagan to try oils, but like acrylics better i think. Sometimes I paint other things, but for some reason i end up painting flowers hehe.
Jill

family2dyl
08-01-2005, 08:01 PM
I'm still quite new to painting, so haven't as yet settled into any one type of subject although I've already decided that flowers are not at the top of my list of favourites.

ShellyF
08-01-2005, 10:05 PM
Oh, I love living things. I started with just people, then animals, but now I find myself drawn to anything that grows and lives, from flowers, to fruit, to wildlife, to people. The only thing I haven't tried yet are landscapes and buildings (oh, they scare me the most :eek: )

melant
08-02-2005, 01:47 AM
I like to paint flowers and trees mostly, but I'll do anything that inspires me. I'd like to do more people and I find myself interested in abstraction. I enjoy walking around and photographing small birds, but I have yet to paint one.

k9artisan
08-02-2005, 05:35 AM
My favorite subject is dogs, though occassionally I will try out a floral or landscape. I used to do human portraits when I was a teenager, but haven't yet found the courage to do them yet again. I guess I am waiting for me to get really good at some point before I knock my ego down several pegs lol. I really envy those who can paint anything and everything and hope one day to be like that.
Amber

ColorsoftheRainbow
08-02-2005, 07:22 PM
People...where are the people.....

:) Thats what I like painting the best.

carld
08-02-2005, 11:11 PM
I am a landscape painter. Have never painted anything else, have never wanted to paint anything else untill this year.

I am looking for something with more color and may have to try something else.

Carl

Anita Murphy
08-03-2005, 09:23 AM
I used to say I was a landscape painter. But now I will try anything.

Papierboi
08-03-2005, 12:17 PM
This question interests me a great deal because I've always felt I'm sort of a misfit artist in that I don't have a "genre" that compels me. As both a painter and writer, I tend to be inspired by and to do different, completely unrelated things. But looking back on history, most artists who became famous or garner respect for their works seem to have had "periods" or entire lifetimes dedicated to focusing on one thing or style. Do you think it's a sign of a true artist to have such a compelling, constant signature? Do you think it's possible to be completely diverse and produce good work and actually be respected for doing more than one thing well? Shakespeare comes to mind here, as he accomplished tragedy, history, romance and comedy equally well, and was actually a writer-for-hire, much like today's Hollywood screenwriters--and yet no one would deny his artistic genius with language. At the same time, Dali, Picasso, Monet, Dostoyevsky, Hemingway, O'Keefe and so many others may have explored different areas of creative interest, but certainly are renowned mostly for works that are similar to each other, forming some kind of movement (even if it was contained to themselves and didn't move an entire generation).

Sorry I'm so wordy today, but I am quite curious. :wink2:

David

blumoon
08-03-2005, 06:58 PM
I find my landscapes are most popular, but I have been going through a flower thing lately, and a tiny bit of still life, always I have done a bit of figure work as well. Landscapes are my mainstay. :)

lathiel
08-05-2005, 08:06 AM
Everything that breathes. Horses mainly, with landscapes in the backgorund. Wildlife too.

lathiel
08-05-2005, 08:07 AM
By the way, this is probably a really dumb question :p, but how do you ge those lovely little blocks of pictures onto your profile. The ones at the bottom that are like a signature. They look so lovely. :o

lathiel
08-05-2005, 08:38 AM
Looks like I've partially figured it out. I've uploaded and image and made a signature with the image included in my profile. I just don't seem to have got it to appear here. I have a feeling I'm not seeing something really obvious. :(

lathiel
08-05-2005, 08:39 AM
obviously, it worked! sorry to have wasted cyberpace with my silly questions.

Papierboi
08-05-2005, 10:48 AM
I've wondered the same thing--how do you get those little icons down there? I'm giving it a shot with this post. It's not very clearly explained on Wet Canvas, from what I've been able to find... :cool:

David

lathiel
08-05-2005, 11:42 AM
Hi Papierboi

it's under the forum signature. There's a little icon at the top like the one for adding images in microsoft word. you click on that and it lets you upload a graphic.

Papierboi
08-05-2005, 11:52 AM
Oh, snazzy. I tried it before, but I guess maybe my signature was too long with the quote I was using...THANKS!

aszurblue
08-05-2005, 12:13 PM
Guess I'm like David, What ever hits a nerve. I like it all and want to do it all. But have been known to be a little compulsive at times. Like doing one painting over, over and over till one of two things happen.... eather I get it to where I see it, or it hits the trash.

Leslie Pz
08-05-2005, 12:42 PM
Just about anything that isn't copyrighted! :clap: :p :evil:

OzonaLori
08-12-2005, 09:34 AM
I love to paint many things, but I am really getting into landscapes a little more. However the MAIN thing I paint is

the people, the people, the people.....
(bad imitation of Sally Field's portrayal of Sybil......)

There wasn't a choice for portrature or figurative work, btw!

ArtMarkie
08-13-2005, 12:53 PM
Well, I paint mostly from photos of landscapes. Then when I have some paint left over, and don't want to waste it, I put it on some paper and do something imaginary.