PDA

View Full Version : What's on your easel Jul 31 - Aug 6

Lady Carol
07-31-2005, 04:35 PM
Hi everyone. This is the place to post those incomplete images, not the ones you have just finished (post those in a separate thread for C&C). You are also welcome to just hang out and comment.......

Here are my incomplete ones..

This I have been working on for the past 3 weeks only on the weekends as the lighting where I have to paint it is not very good. It is too large (36X48)for my easel so it is hung on the wall and I paint it there. I think the water is finished until I make finer adjustments at the end....

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2005/11811-hawk3-small.JPG

And in the evenings I have been working on this
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2005/11811-bill-1whole-small.JPG

Here is a close up of the eyes.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2005/11811-bill-1-small.JPG

Thanks for looking. Also big thanks to TheIsland for her detailed explanation of paiting eyes. This is my first cat portrait.

Freestyler
07-31-2005, 04:46 PM
Hi Carol

Both of these should be brilliant once they are finished - I'm looking forward to seeing the result. The cat's eyes are particularly good. When I paint portraits, I also like to get the eyes done first, because then the rest seems to fall into place. Beautiful work! :clap:

3chaway9
07-31-2005, 04:52 PM
Hi Carol,
the water is great and so are the cats eyes.....go girl.

Lady Carol
07-31-2005, 06:20 PM
Karen: thank you. I usually leave the eyes to last on my other animals. My husband always jokes that the animal is blind. So this is a first for me. I am particularly happy with them. For some reason I think everything is falling into place as well.

Caroline: thank you too :wave:

AtrediesNT
08-01-2005, 05:39 AM
i started this little fella last week.
I am about to put all the "fine" touches on him.

Any C&C will be appreciated.

Oh and it's postcard size.

Wayne Gaudon
08-01-2005, 06:35 AM
wow Carol , these will be fab
.. I'm an alla prima painter so I never have anything but I am thinking on starting one, like you, on the wall, and just dabbing at it with left over paint or if I have nothing else to do. I must first come up with a good piece that looks interesting and is big. :D

AtrediesNT
nice little card happening

Lady Carol
08-01-2005, 09:23 AM
AtreidesNT: nice composition. Your frog is very cute. He still looks rather two dimensional and a little bit more modeling with the darks will round out this little guy nicely.

Wayne: I understand your need to paint in one sitting. That is fun, but painting over a period of time is great. There is time to ponder the colours and where to place the brushstrokes. I have a tendency to be a slow painter only cause my job gets in the way of painting, so I get to see it on a daily basis which keeps the thought processes going.

gnu
08-01-2005, 04:24 PM
wohoo the image uploader is cool! :clap:
Here is a house warming pressie for a friend. It's of Bondi Beach, Aussieland.. :)
size is 15" x 30" knife, a bit out of focus as artificial lighting . nearly done, just some bodies in the surf to add..
I'll get back here to comment..
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2005/7242-IMG_7639_bondi_sm.jpg

Freestyler
08-01-2005, 04:38 PM
Hi Gnu

Very good! This painting has a lot of movement and the way you have angled the beach is very clever. I also like the reflections in the shallows.

If I had to offer any crit, it might be to just add a little more shading/tone to the white crests of the waves and perhaps some more detail to the landmass in the background. But that's just me - you might prefer it the way you've got it. ;)

Nice work. :)

damar
08-01-2005, 06:05 PM
I have been away from the easel for about a year, but tutoring my grandson on a particular painting he wanted to start, got me reaching for the brushes.
Feeling somewhat "rusty", I decided to start out with just a few small warm-ups.
4 x 6 inch Fredrix canvas boards.
The house:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2005/28389-DSCN1260.JPG

The rose canvas isn't finished; have a few leaves that need to be put in the lower left side of the canvas and finish the ones that are already blocked in:
(I haven't done many flower studies)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2005/28389-DSCN1264.JPG

Charlie's Mum
08-01-2005, 06:25 PM
For a minute I thought this was the Animal Classroom!!!!!
The water's looking good Carol and the cat's eyes are super! Nicely 'global' :D

Cute little tree frog developing :wink2:

Damar - good to see you back and that rose is really rather nice too.

Very nice house-warming pressie Gill - lucky people!

Nitsa
08-01-2005, 08:21 PM
Hiya folks!!! :wave:

Carol I just had to pop in and comment on your cat...I've been painting my first cat (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285861) too!!! I'm doing a sketch in pastel as practice on fur because of a recent enquiry I've had on animal portraits and it's going well so far.

The eyes on your cat are superb, they are full of emotion. :clap:

Miss you guys, hope to be back around soon...I'm all over the place at the moment, pastels, watercolours....I have plan for acrylics too tho' so you haven't got rid of me yet! ;)

Leslie Pz
08-01-2005, 09:30 PM
'Wonderful, everyone!
Carol Your Bird piece is wonderful and I admire your patience!!! Can't wait to see the cat, finished.
-Les

Silent Jaguar
08-02-2005, 12:16 AM
COLOR!!!! :clap:

AtrediesNT
08-02-2005, 09:02 AM
I think I broke it...:(

I hate Shadows...i just have sooo much trouble doing them...

Lady Carol
08-02-2005, 09:20 AM
Gill: Fabulous. I love the freshness of the colours.

Damar: the house and flower are lovely. They will look stunning when finished.

Maureen: thank you. It did start out like the animal classroom :D

Anita: :wave: come back soon

Les: thank you too. Patience....persistence/also frustration as I can't paint as much as I want.

Silent Jaguar: yup colour. Wow!!!!!!

AtrediesNT: you don't like shadows? This looks so much better. He is starting to be rounded out very nicely. Now, no shadows on the nose, just highlights.

damar
08-02-2005, 10:11 AM
Once again--all looks well for the loaded easels! Lady Carol, I'll be watching for the finish of the raptor and cat...they're both are off to a great start! :wave:

Silent Jag: Great color!

Hi Gnu! :wave: Long time-no see! Your surf scene looks good! Looks refreshing to break out of standard canvas size; something I hope to be doing soon. If I hung half of my paintings up, I think my walls would have
"16 x 20 overload"!

Atredies:
"I think I broke it---I hate Shadows"
It's not "broken"! But it is tricky putting a shadow in such a light color. What I do (and I invite anyone to discredit or add to this) is; when I mix a color for an area and I know there will be shadow, I keep a small portion of the mixed color, then when I'm ready to define it with shading, I pick up a few colors off the palette, from the surrounding areas and mix it in.
ie: Assuming you used some cad red to make your orangy-red leaf, and some blue to darken those background leaves, I would mix a tiny amount of red and blue and mix it into the frog-white. The slightly violet shadow would greatly compliment the orange and green. Shadows are seldom "isolated" black or gray, there is still color in the shadows, its just darker. Use what's already on your palette, and your shadow area's will look realistic.

Betcha anything your dislike of shadows is just a temporary peeve for a soon to come expertise! Your colors are fresh and lively! When you get the shading/shadow thing, your subjects are going to "pop"! :)

I'm kinda touch and go at wetcanvas here, so I hope I didn't leave anyone out!

(Terminator voice:)
"Ah'll Be Baccch" :D

AtrediesNT
08-02-2005, 11:16 AM
Am I done Yet? :(
Highlights and shadows scare me...i will admit it. Hopefully confidence will come in time when dealing with these demons.....
i WILL tame the beast......

oh and thanks for your tips on the shadows...i used a mix of the darker green and the red..just slight..and re did some of the shadows...can you tell?

I can see now where i made a boo boo on his lip...will fix that up later.

Lady Carol
08-02-2005, 11:34 AM
AtrediesNT: wow!!! You are really pushing this a long. It will be fabulous when finished. He certainly is full of character :D

damar
08-02-2005, 12:13 PM
oh and thanks for your tips on the shadows...i used a mix of the darker green and the red..just slight..and re did some of the shadows...can you tell?

:clap: Oh, you got it!...when you think you are done, turn the canvas upside down for a few hours or where you can't see it at all...then look at it! (good way to release all the struggles and see it through new eyes).
Looking good! :)

gnu
08-02-2005, 03:34 PM
Am I done Yet? :(
Highlights and shadows scare me...i will admit it. Hopefully confidence will come in time when dealing with these demons.....
i WILL tame the beast......

I can see now where i made a boo boo on his lip...will fix that up later.
he's real real cute! :clap: :clap: think you could ground those toes and push the shadows even more, go darker..
one thing..have you any ref photos of these cuties to post to the library? I've been looking everywhere for a good tree frog ref..got one, but need more if you have some.. please?

gnu
08-02-2005, 03:44 PM
Carol, the water in the eagle shot is absoloutely stunning! wow! it's coming together well..
those kitty eyes are perfect.. thanks for the comments on my painting. I have the same trouble as Wayne, I paint too fast!
Damar that rose is looking pretty cool..fabulous job on those trees too.. :D :D yup know waht you mean about the canvas. I find I can easily work a comp to fit any dimension, I've laways been able to do this, or transfer images large etc..so now I just buy a canvas that takes my fancy and make the pic fit! try it!
Karen, thanks, yes the waves and the suburb(that's what it is!) are not finished either..just begun, but won't take much more .. I am not going to push the detail in the BG because that's not the focus, and I want it to keep distant..it's to be a peaceful relaxing painting..

AtrediesNT
08-02-2005, 06:42 PM
one thing..have you any ref photos of these cuties to post to the library? I've been looking everywhere for a good tree frog ref..got one, but need more if you have some.. please?

Oh i got this one off the internet, i did a search of greentree frogs in Google.
I would post it in the Library but it's not mine and i don't know who took the pic.

I DO however have SOME that were taken by myself...but they aren't very good quality.They are out of focus.A few wines on the balcony,you see.(A living in Darwin Tradition,ha ha ha).
I will post them though.Will let you know when they are up.

Hazel_S
08-02-2005, 06:45 PM
Another animal for this thread I'm afraid...

Ashamed to say that poor Daisy the cow has been on the go since May :o
I have done a lot more to the painting very recently though so it's getting there... you all make me feel like painting every time I see what you're up to and all the great pieces you have underway! :)

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Aug-2005/64263-2005-08-02_Daisy_wc.jpg

idylbrush
08-02-2005, 06:50 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Aug-2005/36241-DSF-stage.jpg

Well guys, this has been my easel for the last three weeks. Needless to say I haven't done much with paint but more with performance arts.

Exhausted but still around.

damar
08-02-2005, 08:05 PM
he's real real cute! :clap: :clap: think you could ground those toes and push the shadows even more, go darker..
My son took this photo and had posted it over at morguefile.com, but they must rotate photo's out of the archive. I'll see if I can get him to repost his at morguefile (royalty free photo's); there are others there as well from other photographers.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Aug-2005/28389-treefrog.JPG

Nitsa
08-02-2005, 10:42 PM
Beautiful portrait Krysta....Bravo! :clap:

stevenbg
08-02-2005, 11:38 PM
Started this one this morning....
Don't know why, but I wanted to do a painting of a trailer park. (My wife already thinks I'm crazy, and this just reinforces her opinion! :))
I got the drawing done, and I've started laying in some transparent washes just to start finding my values.
It's still got a LONG way to go, but I think it has potential.

12X16" Acrylic on canvas.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Aug-2005/38431-IMG_0560_copy.JPG

damar
08-03-2005, 12:02 AM
Started this one this morning....
Don't know why, but I wanted to do a painting of a trailer park. (My wife already thinks I'm crazy, and this just reinforces her opinion! :))
I got the drawing done, and I've started laying in some transparent washes just to start finding my values.
It's still got a LONG way to go, but I think it has potential.

The subject is sooo "Florida"! Your initial washes have a very "architectural rendering" quality and I agree, it has potential. I can see a wee bit of your reference photo and the contrast between the brightness of the structure, set in the lush green of the background trees and anchored by the strong roadway will be a winner in this composition. I like it. :)

damar
08-03-2005, 12:06 AM
Krysta, your wip portrait is impressive! The texture of the subjects face is very ambitious (and well done)! Love the swan too!

Lady Carol
08-03-2005, 11:27 AM
Hazel: cute cow. This would be great for a children's room.

Howard: at least you are around. I thought you had dropped off the face of the earth. Have fun.

Krysta: wow. Look at those. The skin is fabulous with all those wrinkles. It must be hard getting them to look so good.

stevenbg: fabulous underpainting. It is a good thing that you listen to your inner thoughts rather than your wife on this matter.

mickhawkes
08-03-2005, 06:48 PM
Lots of nice stuff here,
This is my latest Acrylic, 1000mm x 1000mm canvas

Mick

AmyH
08-03-2005, 11:38 PM
here is my incomplete one...I mostly post in abby normal forum...hello everyone...

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Aug-2005/1421-annoyed_girl_350px.jpg

stevenbg
08-04-2005, 11:47 PM
Still working on this one....
I've started laying some basic colors now, while trying to correct the drawing errors as I come across them (and there are plenty).
I'll have to bring it a little bit further along before I can tell whether it'll be a "keeper" or not.
I often get a good start, only to have the painting fall apart before my eyes.
Does this happen to anyone else?

(I know, the palm trees and background trailer are WAY too green.)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/04-Aug-2005/38431-Trailer_Park_COLOR_2.JPG

damar
08-05-2005, 02:31 AM
I often get a good start, only to have the painting fall apart before my eyes.

YES! But in my case, its a style conflict...ie: how I would LIKE to paint v.s. how they always turn out! :confused:
This is looking good! Nice perspective, the structures sit well: good composition. :)

krystakaye
08-05-2005, 03:53 AM
[QUOTE=stevenbg]I often get a good start, only to have the painting fall apart before my eyes.
OOOOOHHHHH YES!!!! At least ONCE A DAY! ha.

I thought about you today and your trailer painting! I was flipping channels on TV while I was rocking the baby to sleep and came across "MTV's TRAILER FABULOUS"... I INSTANTLY thought of your WIP. (SEE YOU DO HAVE A WONDERFUL EFFECT ON THOSE AROUND YOU!!! :D ) :o I am ASHAMED TO SAY I actually watched about five minutes of it before laughing so hard I was afraid I would wake the little one... Terrific job so far, very interested in seeing the progression here. Love the clouds...very realistic, and the trees in the background. The front window may be a little off but overall a very interesting painting! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, and PLEASE post it again!!!! :clap:

idylbrush
08-05-2005, 04:43 PM
Hazel: cute cow. This would be great for a children's room.

Howard: at least you are around. I thought you had dropped off the face of the earth. Have fun.

Krysta: wow. Look at those. The skin is fabulous with all those wrinkles. It must be hard getting them to look so good.

stevenbg: fabulous underpainting. It is a good thing that you listen to your inner thoughts rather than your wife on this matter.

haven't gone over the edge just yet......still working.

krystakaye
08-05-2005, 09:19 PM
C'mon Howard....WE ARE ALL WAITING ON THE EDGE OF OUR SEATS!!!!! :) Krysta

Lady Carol
08-06-2005, 12:28 AM
Mike: love the orchid. The colours are making it sing.

Krista: you have caught the character of the man very nicely.

steven: it is coming along well.