PDA

View Full Version : Flipping Paint Challenge #23

Europa
07-31-2005, 02:29 PM
Well here we are again - a bit of a gap since the last one - life got in the way - but hey ho - onwards and upwards. It was my turn for the ref pic so I used one called 'Spooky doll' from morguefile.com.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2005/29499-challenge_23_-_Pat.jpg

This was harder than I thought - the trick was doing the face so that it didn't look like a human face but like a doll - the hair and the eyes were the hardest for me though am quite happy with how it turned out in the end. 5 x 11 - 180gsm Crimson and Blake

Pat

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2005/29499-Challenge_23_-_Pat.JPG

Europa
07-31-2005, 02:30 PM
JUDY'S

This was kind of fun. Believe you me I started one and decided she looked really evil so stopped that one and started again and that one also looked pretty bad but kept on with it. She turned out not looking quite as spooky as she started out as.

9x12 Arches 140# CP

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2005/29499-Challenge_23_-_Judy.jpg

Europa
07-31-2005, 02:31 PM
LAURIE'S

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2005/29499-Challenge_23_-_Laurie.jpg

Europa
07-31-2005, 02:32 PM
KATE'S

This one was a real challenge for me. It's an image I never would have thought about painting, but I have to say that I'm really glad that we did it. Thanks, Pat. For me it was about the shadows and the color temperature shift. That part was HARD! I'm not happy with the dimples around the mouth, but I liked the nose..... :D

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2005/29499-Challenge_23_-_Kate.jpg

Europa
07-31-2005, 02:39 PM
Well done girls - you rose to the challenge magnificently again.

Judy - I love the blood red lips on yours - you also caught the 'vacant' look in her eyes.

Laurie - yours has a somewhat eerie glow about it - i think its the purple being used on the background as well that adds to it

Kate - I like how you did the eyes best - but must admit the nose is cute too....LOL.

Well done girls :clap: :clap: :clap: - I think its Judy next.

Pat x

Kate Mc
07-31-2005, 03:46 PM
Pat, I like the way you did the mouth. That was really hard for me. Yours looks really good. You managed to capture the "vacant" look too. Your colors are warmer than mine all over (though mine is not as blue as it looks here--there really IS a cool/warm shift in it). Your portrait work really shows here. One nit: it bothers me that the eyes are so different from each other. :clap:

Judy, yours has such juicy red lipstick--you really nailed those dimples! I love the lighter eye--it just glows! The eyelash shadows are also good. Interesting background--I keep seeing skull-like shapes in there >>brrrrr! shiver<< Yikes! :clap:

Laurie, welcome back!! You've gotten some better paints, haven't you?? You also painted a nice juicy mouth, and I like your eyes too. My nit for yours: a shadow under the hair would make it stand out. Good job! :clap:

Good work, challenge buds! I can't wait to see what Judy has in store for us.....

Kate

Europa
07-31-2005, 03:55 PM
Yes I did struggle with the eyes - then again - maybe one of them is the 'evil' eye.......LOL.

Pat

hopefulbucky
07-31-2005, 04:40 PM
Well guys we finally have gotten our challenge rolling again. We are all back for at least a short time. I will be leaving for a week and one half on the 10th so I will post our next challenge in a moment. I am vacillating between two. LOL

Now:

Pat, I really like yours, your mouth is very well done, I know about the eyes and the problems because one of them in the photo was much darker and had no definition in it. I think you did great.

Laurie, Like yours as well, interesting choice to use purple throughout her whole face, does give it an eerie feeling to it. I really like the color of your eyes and how you did them and the shadows of the eyelashes just cracks me up (that is a good thing) very well done.

Kate Kate, the wait was worth it. Love the color of her eyes and the porcelain texture of her skin is great.

Will now make a choice of photos

hopefulbucky
07-31-2005, 05:30 PM
OK ladies, how's about trying this one.

I took this in Paris at the Rodin museum, this guy just cracked me up as he almost seemed to be posing so I obliged him by taking his photo. Do with it what you will, should be interesting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2005/21041-painter_at_rodin.jpg

Europa
07-31-2005, 05:38 PM
Phew!! - that doesnt seem too bad at all.......lol

Pat

Roun2it
07-31-2005, 05:44 PM
So while Judy vacillates I step in, (has this Vasil-ating got anything to do with our Turkish friend who's having tummy troubles at the moment?)

First of all Pat this image just would not excite me at all, all the art work has been done by someone else ................ But you lot, (Can I say Girls yet?) have worked wonders and each one has been transformed into your own. :clap:

Pat, I think the cheek on the left side needs to be more smooth and rounded. I think the 2 different eyes add to the 'strange' illusion of this image.

Judy like the light you captured with the shadows, this one is well contructed. It retains some of the fear that is in the photo.

Laurie that blue and flat look makes this doll even more sinister.

Kate I like this one, it misses the sinister and fear that the stronger shadows give. The hair is well done.

OK so if Judy's finished with Vasil she'll be back shortly. :wave:

Celeste McCall
07-31-2005, 06:14 PM
Great paintings ladies......you're all 3 dolls for doing such a great job. :music: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

artmom
07-31-2005, 08:53 PM
You four did a great job again! Each is soooo individual. :D

Lyn

Laurie2
07-31-2005, 10:45 PM
OK ladies, how's about trying this one.

I took this in Paris at the Rodin museum, this guy just cracked me up as he almost seemed to be posing so I obliged him by taking his photo. Do with it what you will, should be interesting.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2005/21041-painter_at_rodin.jpg

OK Judy, Am struggling to get back into the swing of things but this seems like a good subject. :D

mr sandbanx
07-31-2005, 11:04 PM
Ladies these are all wonderful paintings of a very challenging and spooky subject! Very well done.

Next one does not look any easier to me! Good luck

Strider
08-01-2005, 12:47 AM
That's one spooky doll. Pat, Judy, Laurie, and Kate...good going on one I still haven't figured how I would paint. I doff my cap! :wave: Judy, a good pick for a painting...and this fella doesn't scare me!

jaytee
08-01-2005, 05:57 AM
Now girls. you have me seriously worried......... I dont find the original photo spooky !!!! Im clearly missing sonething as you have all four managed to make her so !!!

Well Done!!!!

Laurie2
08-01-2005, 06:44 AM
Now girls. you have me seriously worried......... I dont find the original photo spooky !!!! Im clearly missing sonething as you have all four managed to make her so !!!

Well Done!!!!

:D I think we were all influenced by the name 'Spooky' that Pat gave the original ref...at least I was...:)
(BTW..Salisbury Cathedral is now in the mail...snail mail that is)

Uschi
08-01-2005, 08:45 AM
No matter whose challenge it is, it always amazes me how each subject is interpreted and painted so differently. Great job ladies!!!!
Uschi

Maffet
08-03-2005, 09:27 AM
:wave: Hello,

as I wrote in Wash. I liked so much this lovely doll and after long time I wanted to join some gang and paint together with others ... that I decieded to paint doll's face too. But I was a bit tired late at night ... so I used only wat. col. pencils. This is just for joy and also for Pat :) :D with best regards

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Aug-2005/8104-doll.jpg

Happy to hear that you feel much better :)

hopefulbucky
08-03-2005, 11:28 AM
Jana, this is just lovely, much more beautiful than spooky (which is a good thing) absolutely love her eyes, so very well done. Join us anytime that you wish it is fun and kind of a stress reliever, (if you don't have Miss Patricia bugging you to get your things done as she has already finished hers such as this latest one which she has already completed :eek: )

But it is fun and we would love to have your interpretations on different challenge photos (you be with us, you will also pick challenges for us to interpret)

So please do join us and great job.

Europa
08-03-2005, 11:45 AM
Jana - am sooooooo glad you decided to post this - its wonderful - definitely not spooky - you have given it a lovely serene look - please do join us - we would be happy to have you along.

Ignore what that Judy person says about me - I never bug people :angel: - just cos them three are always gadding about and poor me is stuck at home :crying: - the reason I always finish mine more or less first is simple really - AM A GENIUS!!! :evil: :wink2: ROTFL

Pat

CharM
08-03-2005, 11:59 AM
Hi Ladies!!! Pat, the image you chose for this Challenge did nothing for me at all... in fact, I wondered why anyone would want something so spooky looking on their walls...

All of you have greater imaginations that I... I'm soooo impressed with your paintings!!!

Pat... Those 2 different eyes add to the *strange* atmosphere of your painting... I love that pouty mouth!!! Well done!!!

Judy... You've captured the essence of *spookiness* that's in the ref image... your treatment of light and shadow is really well done, adding to that dark and foreboding feeling...

Laurie... your purpley/blue and flat look makes this doll even more sinister.

Kate... Your doll isn't quite as sinister, but she keeps that *look* because of those eyes...

Jana... your version is equally good... your wc pencils add texture to this composition...

Kudos to everyone... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

jaytee
08-03-2005, 02:48 PM
Jana. I agree yours is more beautiful than spooky......... but I think she is soooooooooooo beautiful she may be a wicked witch in disguise ;)

its so good you have found time to join in a challenge ( even if its not mine ;) :D)........ they are so inspiring......... hope to see you in one again soon........

( ps your new job status sounds great:))

Kate Mc
08-03-2005, 02:48 PM
Wow, thanks for all the wonderful comments!

Pat, I agree that yours has the best "evil eye"!

Jana, WOOT! JUPPEE! :clap: I'm glad that you joined us! I agree with Judy: yours is lovely. The light is really well done, and those eyelashes are incredible!

Kevin, thanks! I was happy with the hair too--it's the first time I've ever liked the hair that I did.

Judy, thanks. I was also pleased with the skin--but mostly the nose. :p

Char, thanks. LOL, that "look" could also be interpreted as: "like, that's soooooo....last year. Why are you ...um....bothering me with that???" (at least that's what my neice is normally saying when she gives me this look)!

Thanks again for all the comments. :wave:

JUDY, JUDY, JUDY!!! What are you DOING to us???? (I can't believe that Pat's already finished)

Kate

Sharon Douglas
08-03-2005, 06:40 PM
Four wonderful interpretations from four wonderful people