PDA

View Full Version : Canada landscape WIP

Turtle33
07-31-2005, 10:59 AM
hi everyone :wave:
i'm back from beautiful Canada and had a great time there! i posted some pics from the trip in the general forum but i'm inspired by some landscape pics i took while there!
i posted some of the pics here but there are lots of pics including the new studio that was done while i was away. if you don't want to see all those pics, i will post the reference pic here but i'm actually using two pics i took for the painting.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=285487
i'm also going to post pics from the trip in the RIL

our front yard of the cabin was lake Rideau in Ontario and the sunsets were amazing but a pic i took of a giant tree/log that was in the water, with the stone colors, dock etc. was a great composition so i have to paint it! i'm using some artistic license with this too. the tree is closer and i'm not adding all the foliage there but i think i got it right with perspective. i enhanced the pic i took of the painting so far to be able to see it better so the colors aren't true.
this is being done on Fabriano Artistico 300 lb rough. the size is 22.5 inch by 22.5 inch. so far, i'm just doing washes with my haki brush and Simmons T 55 flat wash/glaze.
colors so far are WN cad red, WN cerulean and DS aureolin. there is a slight wash of caput there too on the dock plank.
comments and crits appreciated.

thanks for looking!
Sarah

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2005/16927-DSCF0113.JPG

bluegenes
07-31-2005, 11:05 AM
Looks really good so far!

Patty

Turtle33
07-31-2005, 12:15 PM
hi Patty and thanks for looking :)

Sarah

Sharon Douglas
07-31-2005, 12:36 PM
Just getting on the guest list to see the final, when you get there.

Alan Cross
07-31-2005, 12:53 PM
Great start Sarah!
Alan :)

Turtle33
07-31-2005, 01:02 PM
hi Alan (((hugs))) and what a great country you live in!
thanks for looking in!

hi Sharon and thanks for looking!

Sarah

Yorky
07-31-2005, 03:54 PM
Wow - a landscape! Something tells me it will be different ;)

Doug

Strawberry Wine
07-31-2005, 06:17 PM
Sarah, good start and I agree with Doug. I am looking forward to seeing this develop.

Cheers,

Gail

Europa
07-31-2005, 06:39 PM
Oooooooooh now this should be interesting!!

Pat

Turtle33
07-31-2005, 08:52 PM
hi Pat and thanks for looking :wave: :D

hi Gail and thanks :wave: it should go well and it's small so hopefully, it will not take as long as my other paintings :)

hi Doug and thanks for looking (((hugs))) :D
i think everyone is surprised i'm going to do a landscape but the pic is really fun for me!

Sarah

Turtle33
08-01-2005, 06:33 PM
hi everyone :wave:

here's an update of the dock so far. i'm using WN cad red, caput, for the dock plank, then for the other planks, WN cerulean, DS moonglow and DS cobalt blue.
dry brush is being used alot for the wood and i'm using my Loew Cornell 7650C spotter 1
i took two close up pics and its going well so far!
comments and crits appreciated :)

thanks for looking!

Sarah
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2005/16927-DSCF0114.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2005/16927-DSCF0115.JPG

Strawberry Wine
08-01-2005, 06:50 PM
Sarah, the wood and metal look terrific. Where abouts in Canada is this lake?

and BTW 22" x 22' inches is not SMALL :D

Cheers,

Gail

Turtle33
08-01-2005, 06:54 PM
hi Gail and thanks for looking :wave:
we were in a cabin at Lake Rideau- i hope i spelled that correctly. it was so beautiful there! seriously, nothing like PA at all. i can go to a lake around here and it is not near as beautiful and clear!
i'm really weird :o i paint either really large or if i go small (and 22.5 X 22.5 is small for me) it has to be a perfect square. i hardly ever paint a 22X30 sheet unless it's a commission.

Sarah

Strawberry Wine
08-01-2005, 07:02 PM
Sarah, is the Lake Rideau in the Ottawa Ontario area?

Gail

Ellen in Ont
08-01-2005, 08:03 PM
Great start Sarah. I'm pulling up a chair for this one. :)

Turtle33
08-03-2005, 05:35 PM
hi Ellen and thanks for looking :)

hi Gail :wave:
Lake Rideau is definitely in Ontario. it really is gorgeous there!
here's a site about it:
http://www.rideau-info.com/canal/welcome.html

here's an update on the painting :wave:
i'm using DS undersea green, DS cascade green and DS sepia with aureolin. my brush for the water so far is my Simmons A 85 # 12 and my Simmons TT60 shader, Titanium # 8.
i'm really struggling with the water but the greener parts is coming along better now. i'm also looking at my Artist magazine and reading some articles about painting water. it is definitely not easy.
comments and crits welcome!

Sarah
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Aug-2005/16927-DSCF0116.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Aug-2005/16927-DSCF0117.JPG

jenner567
08-03-2005, 06:07 PM
Sarah, the depiction of the water, planks, and the metal is extraordinarily good. I'm speechless when it comes to your paintings, you are a master. Your application of painting the water is superb, as you say, not an easy task by any means.

So anxious to see the progression of this painting.

mmcaloon
08-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Another Sarah WIP...How could I have missed this. :eek:

Well I'm here now and impressed as expected. It is wonderful watching your work. :D

Turtle33
08-03-2005, 06:46 PM
hi Mike and thanks for looking :wave: :)
thanks! i'm not sure i'm impressed with the water right now. in fact, it's really hard to do! i never expected it to be this difficult.
the white part showing was masked out. i usually don't use it but in this case, i really want to make that light/whitish in appearance due to my light source from the reference pic. i actually worked on the water all day yesterday- probably about 4-5 hours and kept up with it until 1 AM. it was really frustrating me last night !
thanks again for looking!

hi Jenner and thanks for what you said and looking :)
i'm definitely not a master. when i look at my paintings and then see Wyeth paintings, Michelangelo, Botticelli, Sargent, Raphael, Alan, Doug & Arnold from here and Matthew, my watercolor professor, i know i have so much more to learn!!!
we all paint differently though and that's what makes our art unique and special!

Sarah

CharM
08-03-2005, 09:26 PM
Hi Sarah... so glad that your vacation was a success!!! This composition looks good already... and, yes, water IS hard to paint! I empathize totally... the wood of your dock is excellent... and the rusty piling looks good... looking forward to your next steps!

moondancer79
08-06-2005, 10:13 AM
hi sarah, really impressed with this one so far. when i first looked i thought you had some planks lying on you paper. :p

Celeste McCall
08-06-2005, 11:56 AM
This is going to be a great one Sarah. You are one great artist!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :D

Turtle33
08-06-2005, 12:02 PM
hi Geoff and thanks for looking :wave:
the planks are painted and that's what made the composition so fun!

hi CharM (((hugs))) :wave:
i'm starting to get the water right. i had a couple days that i didn't get time to paint due to a huge show at the Gallery but that was fun too and a learning experience, especially with hanging over 100 works of art!

here's the update of the water and painting. comments and crits are welcome, especially with the water. my palette hasn't changed yet and the brushes are the same too- DS undersea green, DS cascade green, DS sepia and aureolin, cerulean WN.
thanks for looking!

Sarah
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/06-Aug-2005/16927-Water.JPG

Lynn Quinn
08-06-2005, 12:10 PM
This is coming along beautifully! Love the planks, and the water is looking good to me! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Gail, I checked the map on the site mentioned. There's a "Big Rideau Lake" roughly in the middle between Kingston & Ottawa, just southwest of Smiths Falls, near Perth & Portland.

Frank Fan
08-07-2005, 07:56 PM
it looks fantatic, can't wait to see your finished painting.

Turtle33
08-09-2005, 09:00 PM
hi Frank and thanks for looking :)
i struggled through the water but now, i'm really happy with it! i think i captured it well.
i got alot of painting in today, i was in the gallery all afternoon so lots of time.

hi MLQ and thanks for looking :wave:
i started in on the rocks and have close ups. they turned out well for me too and now, i'm realy moving along. i was getting really upset with the water for days and just couldn't move onto any other part until the water was done.

so, here's updates and close ups. new colors used today are DS lunar earth, DS quin, deep gold and DS transparent red oxide. i also used some DS moonglow for the rocks, cracks and crevices. for that detail, i used my Loew Cornell7650C 0 spotter. some DS sepia was also used, washes.
thanks for looking and comments and crits wanted!

Sarah
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2005/16927-DSCF0012.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2005/16927-DSCF0013.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/09-Aug-2005/16927-DSCF0014.JPG

Uschi
08-09-2005, 09:46 PM
All is excellent Sarah!!! including the water you struggled with!! Congratulations on your determination and success!!!
Uschi

Turtle33
08-09-2005, 09:58 PM
hi Uschi and thanks for looking :wave:
the water does work! thanks for the congrats! i was getting ready to give it a couple days ago!

Sarah

Dublin
08-09-2005, 10:58 PM
Looking fantastic, I am so looking forward to watching how the whole thing gets developed. Beautiful area, so I hope you do some more, there is some great sites on the area http://www.rideau-info.com/index.html being one. Check out the boathouses link.
Brian :)

jaytee
08-10-2005, 03:37 AM
FASCINATING to watch you tackle someting different Sarah.......... you're doing great my friend :) [[[hugs]]]

laudesan
08-10-2005, 03:48 AM
Looking good Sarah..:wave:

Brian Barnes
08-10-2005, 03:50 AM
........ so who said you couldn't paint water? :) OMG you even braided the rope! :eek: You're doing great ......... as usual! Love that colour!

BrianB

Yorky
08-11-2005, 03:10 AM
Well, Sarah - this is coming along nicely. For some reason I haven't been receiving update notifications. Take a look at the ripples middle left - they look very sharp to me but I don't have your reference photograph to compare.

You're doing fine with a completly new subject, but of course your skill with textures shows!

Doug

Europa
08-11-2005, 12:19 PM
Amazing talent!!!

Pat

Turtle33
08-11-2005, 08:48 PM
hi Pat and thanks for looking! :D

hi Doug (((hugs))) and thanks for looking :wave: :D
i sometimes have problems with e-mail notifications too. i don't know whats up with that :confused:
the ripples are ripples and rope too. there are ropes tied to the tree but the way the light hit when i took one of the 3 pics i'm working from, it is right. i did use some artistic license as well.
this is new for me but i had to paint it!

hi Brian and thanks for looking! :D when the master of water tells me i'm doing great, then it must be true :wave: :D thanks Brian! that means alot to me!

hi JJ (((hugs))) and thanks for looking!

hi Jaytee (((hugs))) and thanks! i'm trying! i hit another rough spot but i definitely made improvements to it. i'll post an update on that tomorrow.

hi Dublin :wave: thanks for looking!
i'm having trouble with the rock area and grassy area thats in the distance. i think i figured out what to do but right now, i walked away from it. it does look better with my plan though.
that whole area is so beautiful! thanks for the link! i will definitely check it out !

thanks again everyone for watching!

Sarah

painterbear
08-12-2005, 06:41 AM
Hi Sarah,

Sorry I'm late to the party, but I'm glad I didn't miss seeing the finish. Your painting is beautiful and your skill with textures shows so well here with the array of different textures in the composition.

Love the rope showing through the water in one of your closeups! That's a prize-winner by itself.

That rusted plate and dark water in the lower right corner (facing the screen) is a little too attention getting IMHO. It is wonderfully painted, but it is so strong it draws my eye there instead of letting it travel into the scene. One of my instructors keeps telling us not to make the corners of our paintings too interesting because that isn't where you want the viewers' eyes to linger.

I'm enjoying your foray into landscape painting too.

Sylvia

Turtle33
08-12-2005, 10:00 PM
hi Sylvia (((hugs)) and thanks for looking!
i just love your avatar! what an adorable baby !!:)
the painting is moving along now. i'm soon ready to paint what i hope will be the main focus, which is the tree in the water.
i worked on the rope in the Gallery on Tuesday. that just fell off my brush for some reason :)
the rusted plate is there in the pic and was one of my favorite parts. i'm going to wait to do anything to that for now, until the tree is done and the brush around the tree. if it still looks to strong, i can do some lifting there.
thanks again for the advice and i'm taking it seriously. i just want to wait until it's done and post it again to see what you and everyone thinks then.

these pics are the grass on the rocks. the grass was actually dry and drooping with the reference pic. i decided to make it stand up instead. i think it adds more interest.
my palette is the same for the most part. i did paint between the grass to show through the horizon. that was lacking and it took me awhile to figure out what went wrong there.

so, here's an update.

Sarah
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Aug-2005/16927-DSCF0004.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/12-Aug-2005/16927-DSCF0005.JPG

Turtle33
08-15-2005, 08:01 PM
hi everyone!
i'm finally going for the finish tonight and i'm really happy with how this painting worked out :)

here's the almost end with a close up of the stump. the tall grasses were actually close to the color shown but i used some artistic license and added some tops to it.

i'll post the completed painting late tonight or tomorrow morning! thanks for looking!

Sarah

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2005/16927-DSCF0001.JPG

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/15-Aug-2005/16927-DSCF0002.JPG

artmom
08-15-2005, 08:15 PM
Can't wait to see that finish--what you have done so far is absolutely fan-dang-tas-tic! :D

Lyn

Brian Barnes
08-15-2005, 11:58 PM
You are one talented girl, Sarah! This is coming along great. The grasses are amazing. :)

You might want to consider softening some of the hard edges in the bright reflection under the stump. As is, the painting style and the water disturbance there is inconsistent with the rest of the lake. ;)

BrianB

laudesan
08-16-2005, 12:49 AM
The grasses look wonderful Sarah..

painterbear
08-16-2005, 05:31 AM
Sarah,
The water and the grasses are really well done. Awesome work on the grass especially.

Good advice from Brian re softening the hard edges in the water lines.

Sylvia

ripvanblair
08-16-2005, 02:35 PM
This is looking great Sarah-----well done-------------Alan

Turtle33
08-16-2005, 07:27 PM
hi Alan and thanks for looking :)
i'm done with the painting now so i'll post it in gallery :)

hi Sylvia and thanks for looking again (((hugs)))
i decided not to change the water. i'll explain it in a sec but i'm realy happy with one of my first landscapes. i did some in the past but nothing like this :D

hi (((hugs))) JJ and thanks for looking!

hi Brian :D :wave: i love your frog and fish paintings now! you have to do some frogs in the Italian Renaissance paintings too! please :p
i understand where your coming from but i worked so hard on that part of hte water, not really thinking it entirely through. instead of making sense, i'm going to use artistic license and keep it the way it is. i also am worried about over-working the water, which i did in a couple spots and don't want to ruin what i achieved there.
thanks again Brian for following along!

hi Lyn (((hugs)))
check out the gallery because i'm posting the finished painting there!

Sarah

artist007
07-05-2006, 12:47 PM
Hi Sarah,

Nice work with difficult subject matter - water is one of the hardest things to paint. If this is one of your first landscapes, I can't wait to see your future paintings!

John
www.johnhelmsgallery.com