PDA

View Full Version : Wine Glass with Silk

amaze_1101
07-31-2005, 01:13 AM
Hi there fellow painters :wave:
I've been working with watercolours for quite some time, (& hanging out in the watercolour forum mostly :D ) but I felt I needed to get back to acrylics so as not to loose touch with it altogether. So I set up this small still life and managed to get this little painting from it. I'm quite happy with the glass but would like to soften the silk drapery somehow but I'm not sure how to go about it. Can any of you experts advise me please?! I'd be really greatfull. Many thanks! ;)

Acrylic on Canvas 8" x8"
ANY C&Cs welcome :cat:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2005/41055-Wine_Glas_with_Silk2.jpg

mr sandbanx
07-31-2005, 01:47 AM
Aye carumba! That is some painting Elaine. The glass looks like a photo.

Well done.

jan409
07-31-2005, 02:21 AM
Just beautiful. Looks so real. the colors are great. Jan

gnu
07-31-2005, 03:40 AM
the silk looks like pouring milk to me it's so lovely and soft and rounded..to get edges softer, just use whichever tone will be extended a little(?the lighter one perhaps) and either make a small line down the edge and run your finger down, or make a thin glaze and extend the edge that way.By edge I mean where the light meets a darker tone one the cloth.
how did you get that lovely fuzzy light on the right of the glass? a glaze?

Yorky
07-31-2005, 04:36 AM
Wonderful painting Elaine - the glass is exceptionally good!

Doug

krystakaye
07-31-2005, 05:01 AM
JUST FABULOUS! This is just wonderful! HOW ENVIOUS I AM OF YOU and your TALENT!!!! I am awe-struck! You asked about the fabric...- WITH A GLASS LIKE THAT -WHO WILL LOOK AT THE FABRIC!? *said in the most complimentary way possible* Just fabulous!

3chaway9
07-31-2005, 07:54 AM
Lovely Elaine......well done.

Wayne Gaudon
07-31-2005, 08:37 AM
Elaine .. I am assuming you are going for the realistic look and if so then your glass needs a little tune up. The rendering is absolutely fantastic but your perspective is slightly off. The glass is larger on one side (viewer left) and the bottom is a little wonky instead of perfectly round (elipse) shape. It's wave like. I've never tried silk so I can't offer any advice there. This is very stunning and I can't wait to see it finished.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2005/5946-1.jpg

Albert Wagner
07-31-2005, 11:38 AM
Based on the beautiful wine glass, I assume that you are trying for a very realistic look. The smoothness you hope to accomplish with the silk is probably the most difficult thing to do in acrylics because of their extemely fast drying times compared to oils. The only approach that I have seen here for that is using a tiny brush and many, many thin glazes. It is tedious work. You can see a very good example of its successful use in Larry Seiler's wildlife paintings; e.g. :

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190950

Bertoni
07-31-2005, 11:54 AM
The glass is spectacular!!!!!!!!!!!!!

artsy_lissa
07-31-2005, 01:34 PM
Wow I am impressed with the skill level it takes to pull this off. Kudos! :clap: ~ Lissa

amaze_1101
07-31-2005, 03:36 PM
Wow! Many thanks for looking in and commenting.

Gill & Albert, thanks for the help with the silk. I will glaze it more to try to soften it but I'm so impatient, never being one for tedious processes. This is DICIPLINE for me! (Thanks for the link Albert.)

Wayne, you are so right, I never spotted that even after running a line down the center myself at an earlier stage. DUH! Thanks so much for taking the trouble to show me. I will play about with it to get it balanced.

Chris, Jan, Doug, Krysta, Caroline, Bertoni and Lissa, thanks all for stopping by to look and comment. I don't feel as bothered with the silk after your kind comments though I will glaze it as suggested to improve it if I can.

maltman
07-31-2005, 04:04 PM
What can I say Omnipaint?

When I first met you it was in the Acrylics thread....you made me very welcome (for which I thank you) and I was impressed then by your work....

Although I havn't followed your progress too well in this thread...I have in the WC....you just get better and better

....and don't forget this medium cos you're just as accomplished in it as you are watercolours....what a talent!

You seem to be able to paint glasses, whether full or empty, so well (is a sign of misspent youth I ask myself?)

Beautiful work Elaine.

Brian

Wayne Gaudon
07-31-2005, 05:19 PM
Elaine .. I only noticed it because I was doing a bottle today and ran the line and still ended up with one side over the edge .. LOL .. it's not a big thing and probably not worth playing with but something to watch for down the road. :D

mrs willow
07-31-2005, 06:23 PM
Based on the beautiful wine glass, I assume that you are trying for a very realistic look. The smoothness you hope to accomplish with the silk is probably the most difficult thing to do in acrylics because of their extemely fast drying times compared to oils. The only approach that I have seen here for that is using a tiny brush and many, many thin glazes. It is tedious work. You can see a very good example of its successful use in Larry Seiler's wildlife paintings; e.g. :

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190950
I really don't think it necessary to change anything. This is such an excellent rendering of both glass and fabric.However,if you really must, the above quote is good advice and although tedious, is probably the safest way to go.
I love the warm soft look of the fabric which contrasts so well with the cool colours and hard shape of the glass.
Great work!
Sandy

chaz
07-31-2005, 09:01 PM
Wonderful painting. The blues are particularily stunning. Don't know why they struck me that way, but they were the first thing I noticed. The problem with coming in late is everyone else has said all the good and true stuff

Chuck

praiseHisname40
07-31-2005, 09:40 PM
Hi Elaine.... Great Job!!!!I love it !!! It is photorealism at its best !!!! I honestly thought it to be the rl photo.... Maybe next time you could give us a lesson on how you did this .. It would be a great teaching thread !!! God Bless and Keep up the great work!! I visited your webshots they are all fantastic!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Marty C
07-31-2005, 10:25 PM
Beautiful work on the glass, the slightly off proportions do nothing to detract from the work and are not immmediately obvious. Very well done.

Starsprite
07-31-2005, 11:25 PM
Hey Elaine!! I didn't even notice the wine glass not being "perfect"..it looks fantastic!!! The sparkle in the glass is so good!! It is definitely the *star* of the show and the draping cloth just a prop for it..... looks just fine and dandy to me!!

Brian (hehe) is right...you are very talented at acrylics as well as watercolors! :) :clap: :clap:

amaze_1101
08-01-2005, 01:25 AM
You guys are so sweet. thanks for all the nice comments and encouragement.

I have worked some more on this, glazing the silk and balancing the glass as suggested earlier. I think I should leave it now in case I ruin it. I'm posting a before and after pic to see if there's a difference.

Before...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2005/41055-Wine_Glass_with_Silk2.jpg

After...
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/01-Aug-2005/41055-Wine_Glass_with_Silk4.jpg

Lulu
08-01-2005, 01:46 AM
You ARE very talented Elaine. This is just another indication of your skill.
Possibly the elipse at the base of the glass is still 'off' but it's negligible.
I think all you need to do now is sign it:)

mrs willow
08-01-2005, 06:46 AM
You ARE very talented Elaine. This is just another indication of your skill.
Possibly the elipse at the base of the glass is still 'off' but it's negligible.
I think all you need to do now is sign it:)
I agree with Lulu! Please sign it Elaine... It is a fine painting with all the qualities I have mentioned in my other posting....plus all those other positive comments from others.
Sandy

Nitsa
08-01-2005, 07:49 AM
Simply beautiful! :clap: :clap: :clap:

praiseHisname40
08-01-2005, 10:56 PM
Very Very Beautiful.... Sign it !!! Great Job!!! ;-)

amaze_1101
08-02-2005, 03:33 PM
Brian (Malty) thanks for those nice words. It has been a pleasure for me to paint along side you. ;)

Wayne I think adjusting the glass has improved it somewhat especially at the base. Thanks for showing me. I'm always gratefull for the critques. :)

Marty Patty Lulu Sandy Kaye Chuck & Nitsa Thanks all for the wonderful comments. I have signed and sealed it. Now I intend to repeat it all again on a larger canvas. :D

gnu
08-02-2005, 03:51 PM
yup that glass sits very solid-ly now!
you got that silk, sign it , woman! :D

suegercag
08-02-2005, 04:21 PM
wow its a masterpiece!! I too thought I was looking at the ref photo at first, That glass is perfect! I love the silk too though. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Charlie's Mum
08-02-2005, 06:46 PM
Fabulous! I agree with Sandy's comment above - and all the others!!!!!
Don't beat yourself up about the imperfections - they're better than a photograph ;) ;)

It's so easy to lose the edges - and add bits! - when trying to be 'spot on' - yes, some of us may notice, but I really don't think they're important ......... they certainly don't shout 'MISTAKE, MISTAKE' at all, and don't impair my appreciation of a super painting :clap: :clap:

amaze_1101
08-02-2005, 07:54 PM
Thankyou Gill and Sue for the kind comments.
Maureen Thanks for the encouragement. I am pretty pleased with this 8" x 8" work which is why I'm thinking to do it again in the larger canvas. Though I've never shown my work before, I'm thinking about a couple of exhibitions taking place soon, and I'm very tempted to enter my work. This still life is on the list and I think it would look good in the larger size.

You guys are all so great to hang with.

ShellyF
08-02-2005, 10:35 PM
Beautiful painting, and just like everyone else, I love the glass, that was the wow factor for me in this painting.

Anita Murphy
08-03-2005, 09:24 AM
Really Super! The glass is just stunning! The basic 101 class in the drawing forum has just been on glass so it was great to see this.

Becky-Bob
08-11-2005, 12:53 AM
WONDERFUL!! You're a well rounded artist. :clap: :clap: Impressive on so many levels.

I've been wondering myself if I want to go back to acrylics...can't decide.