PDA

View Full Version : like some feedback please

jackiesimmonds
07-30-2005, 09:36 AM
This is a WIP, I am trying to keep it loose and fresh (tho it still got tighter despite my every intention, very annoying, my hand wont do what my brain wants it to do) and I am unsure about the colour. It is very green. I dont much like green, but as it is shallow water, I felt it would look wrong if I didn't make it greenish. So here it is:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2005/1805-on_the_jetty1.jpg

Here, I have adjusted it on the computer to colours that I LIKE rather than more natural colours.
Out of interest, (if you like it at all, that is - it's a bit "sweet" but I could not resist the subject matter when it presented itself to me) - which colourway do you prefer?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2005/1805-on_the_jettyblue.jpg

Jackie

SweetBabyJ
07-30-2005, 09:49 AM
How about something kind of in-between?

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2005/9169-1805-on_the_jetty1inbetween.jpg

Linarty
07-30-2005, 10:05 AM
Jackie, I DO like green...lol...my vote goes for the original. It does look more natural. You always do beautiful work. I also want to congratulate you on your new book. I saw on Amazon yesterday that you have one coming out soon.

Linda

Westerngirl
07-30-2005, 10:23 AM
Jackie, this doesn't look tight at all to me! I wish my work would get much looser, like yours, but I understand all about the hand not listening to the brain! :confused:

I like the first one the best, too. What a wonderful subject!

Deb

jackiesimmonds
07-30-2005, 10:43 AM
thanks folks. I think I might go for something inbetween, as SBJ suggests - it just "feels" better to me, to be less literal. I will sleep on it though. I am too irritated to carry on painting ... I just lost an ebay bid for a rather splendid guillotine at a brilliant price, was pipped at the post, literally, in the last three seconds, as I was trying to put in a bid which would have won if I'd had another 1 second. So frustrated. grrrrr. I want to bite someone. Preferrably the bloke who beat me to it.

Paula Ford
07-30-2005, 11:21 AM
I like the in between also

Paula

Khadres
07-30-2005, 11:26 AM
Well, since I like the Jackie-esque SECOND one, but seem to be outnumbered, go for the in between one. :D

A GUILLOTINE????? What the HECK were you going to do with a GUILLOTINE????

DLJohnson
07-30-2005, 11:58 AM
I really like this! I vote for in-between, too. Although nothing wrong with the first one at all.

Sooz, LOL, I had the same thought. I guess they are popular in England OR Jackie collects the morbid OR has large carrots.

Donna

sorry in advance
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2005/7846-headz.gif

angecald
07-30-2005, 12:46 PM
I vote for the first version. I think being more literal cuts the sweetness a bit. I get a feeling of light and air there, while the second version looks overprocessed. Just MHO because you asked. I know you will adjust the final version so that it looks wonderful, no matter which one you pick.

You ladies don't know what a guillotine is for? I suppose YOU all call it a "paper cutter".

CindyW
07-30-2005, 01:31 PM
A guillotine is a paper cutter? That is so funny that we interpret words so differently. I never would've guessed a paper cutter! I was then imagining your home as being somewhat medieval in decor, Jackie.

I like the in between version best, even a bit more towards the green.....although I love both other versions as well.

This is the looseness I seem to always cover up into a much tighter finish!

Very summery and light and fresh!
Cindy

Merethe T
07-30-2005, 01:39 PM
I like the first version, have to agree with Agnes - has that summery feel with light and warmth to it, with to much blue I thought of a overexposed photo, feel a little cold. It is sweet, but not to much I think, do to the loosness and painterly style. I really like it, and you make it look so easy! I'm still to scared to let my control go to get even close to these wonderful loose and confident strokes. :)

Kathryn Wilson
07-30-2005, 02:16 PM
I like the first version - the water is reflecting the light and looks natural. I suspect the guillotine is a paper cutter? :)

Fozbot
07-30-2005, 02:30 PM
i don't work in pastels but i just had to check out your work. the first try contains all of favorite colors so i DO like it a lot! the second pic has colors that look harsh to me. the last is softer and reminds me of a calendar picture i cut out and had framed because it brought up emotions and reminded me of my two boys when they were younger playing at the beach together. very good work! i like the loose style. i'm trying to head in that direction myself.

Kitty Wallis
07-30-2005, 03:10 PM
I like green, and prefer the first one. It feels more real to me,

khourianya
07-30-2005, 04:11 PM
I like green, and prefer the first one. It feels more real to me,

I agree with Kitty - the green definitely looks more real.

And I say Guillotine as being a paper cutter too...that's what we always call ours...

jackiesimmonds
07-30-2005, 05:36 PM
thanks folks, I am warming towards the greener one....tho that might change in the morning!

yes a guillotine is a paper cutter - I agree tho, it does sound rather morbid. I couldn't have put carrots thro the one I missed, because it had circular rotary cutter, but there is another one I am after now, that has a big, mean-looking KNIFE which slices down - could do carrots, fingers, everything, with that one IF I get it.

I want it for cutting large sheets, mount boards, and Kitty's paper! I hate slicing anything with a Stanley knife and particularly hate slicing large sheets. When I was at art school, I managed to slice the end off my thumb when the knife and ruler slipped. It is now fine, you would never know, but oh boy, the blood everywhere! Very gory business.

Guillotines, or paper cutters, are brilliant, but secondhand large ones, big enough to cut the biggest sheets of Wallis, are few and far between, and that is why I was very miffed to miss today's one. It was too good to be true. Ah well, my own fault for not bidding enough, I guess, even tho I put in over double the final bid, it wasn't enough. Wish me luck with the next one!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2005/1805-guillotine.jpg
J

*Marina*
07-30-2005, 05:37 PM
Hi Jackie,
I recognize that spot. I like the green one better. It has more depth in it and all together has a warmer tone to it.
Marina

Artistammy
07-30-2005, 06:01 PM
I vote for green too even tho blue is my favorite color. It still looks fresh & loose to me. Got a chuckle out of the guillotine/paper cutter.
Tammy

Trilby
07-30-2005, 06:22 PM
The warmth of the green colorway shouts sunny day, The dark blues are great against the greens and get lost in the bluer version. It also kills the sweetness and just projects a nice image of kids at play. No one's mentioned it so it may just be my eyes, but take a second look at the girl's rump. Too me it seems just a shade too high into the air and she seems in danger of toppling into the water.
Sorry about the guilotine loss, but the right one is waiting for you. Another huge congrats on the debut of your new book.
Always enjoy your work.
TJ

SweetBabyJ
07-30-2005, 06:32 PM
I'm glad you're thinking go with the greener version, Jackie- the blue is just.. "too-too" I think. I think the green not only looks more realistic, but that it keeps the scene solid rather than so light-and-loose you lose the subject. On that idea, while I understand you're aiming for loose, please take a look at the middle figure's bottom (as in rear-end); it appears so flat there, so "lost", he looks a bit squashed and truncated. I'd almost expect to see either a foot or some feet, or the shadows of them in the water below in that position. The girl on the right appears older and larger, yet her hand does not reach the water, so you either have to drop the middle figure's shoulder a bit more, or raise hers, I think.

meowmeow
07-30-2005, 08:39 PM
I vote green too! FOr one, I like green...and frankly it does look more realistic...the blue one looks almsot minty! The original looks like how I picture shallow water in the summer.

Sandy

jackiesimmonds
07-31-2005, 04:02 AM
I'm glad you're thinking go with the greener version, Jackie- the blue is just.. "too-too" I think. I think the green not only looks more realistic, but that it keeps the scene solid rather than so light-and-loose you lose the subject. On that idea, while I understand you're aiming for loose, please take a look at the middle figure's bottom (as in rear-end); it appears so flat there, so "lost", he looks a bit squashed and truncated. I'd almost expect to see either a foot or some feet, or the shadows of them in the water below in that position. The girl on the right appears older and larger, yet her hand does not reach the water, so you either have to drop the middle figure's shoulder a bit more, or raise hers, I think.

so well observed, SBJ .I drew this freehand from the photo, and I don't always get proportions right when I do that - however, I thought it might help me to stay loose!!!
I agree about the girl's bottom being a bit high in the air and will correct that, but unfortunately, the little lad's rear end is well down, very flat, and there is no sign of a shoe or leg or anything, and I hate to put in that kind of feature if I am unsure about the positioning, particularly with a figure. Have a look at the original photo:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2005/1805-frikes_Kids.jpg

As you can see, I have changed quite a few bits and bobs but on the whole, have tried to use the two kids much as they are, they were a gift! The little lad's hand is in the water, hers isn't, yet their heads are in line, more or less. His shoulder is much lower than hers, and his bottom is MUCH flatter than one might imagine it could be, and there are no legs!!!
I will study it again, but am not happy to put in imaginary legs.

thanks for the "fresh eyes", it is always so good to have other artists' comments. Hooray for WC!

J

Diane Cutter
07-31-2005, 06:48 AM
I really love the first one. The colors are more 'unexpected' and intriguing. It reminds me of Sorolla (Spanish oil painter).

Diane

Shari
07-31-2005, 07:19 AM
I also love the first one, the "greener" one. It looks very real and also very enticing. The blueish one looks too washed out and pale. Beautiful painting.

Shari

SweetBabyJ
07-31-2005, 11:24 AM
Yup- you're right, Jackie- his bottom's laying flat. And if you look at the positioning, I'd lay odds it's because his knee is brought up behind that seated little girl- that's about the only way he could get in that position and still be as far forward and reaching down as he is- which is why we can't see feet. I *think* there's foot shadow in that reflection, but hard to say since the colour there is pretty much even. While both figure's heads are on line horizontally, his is forward of hers- sticking out more. Perhaps deepening the shadow between the two will bring that bit to a better resolution.

The feet aren't necessaary- I just figured I've seen my own kids in such positions enough I know their feet'd be kicking and dangling the whole time while I yelled and sqawled at 'em to get-away-from-that-edge-if-you-fall-in-your-clothes-will-get-all-wet-and-dirty!! I imagine that's one of the thoughts most moms'll have seeing this painting- it is a perfect descriptive moment of childhood.

Kathryn Wilson
07-31-2005, 11:49 AM
hhhhmmmm . . . I think he is lying on his stomach, with a knee brought up to the side. I think the girl is on her knees leaning forward. It is a difficult shot to get the figures sorted out.

Trilby
07-31-2005, 12:14 PM
Thanks, Jackie for posting the reference. It makes all the wonderful colors in the first image all the more impressive and telling. You really translated the summer light on shallow water and with those few proportion changes have a wonderful moment of childhood captured in a compelling way.
TJ

Khadres
07-31-2005, 11:40 PM
Well, I thought of a paper cutter too, but thought .... SURELY not! LOL I invested in a good knife type one last year via Curry's...got a good deal on it and it's paid for itself in saved aggravation if nothing else! I cut everything paper with it...and even relatively thin foamcore. I don't know how I lived without it!

Nicoclaus
08-01-2005, 12:27 AM
Very nice work :) I like the original one the best with the warmer colors

Mikki Petersen
08-01-2005, 01:51 AM
Here I am late again...Definitely the greens make this painting work. The bluer version is very cold and artificial looking. The greens you chose along with all the peachy pinks of skin tones work beautifully to create a harmony here. Go with your first instincts. You tend to work in blues so they feel right or comfortable to you, but the painter in you read the scene right the first time.

Mikki

jackiesimmonds
08-01-2005, 05:23 PM
hmmm - you guys might be right - his feet might have been visible if there wasn't a little seated girl, but I didn't want her in the pic, I didn't feel she added anything, either for the composition or for the atmosphere of the piece. I am hoping that the viewer will imagine that his feet are dangling out at the "back", cos he is flat on his tummy...but before I finish it, I might get a friend's child to lie down on something for me, in a simkilar way, so I can get some idea of what might have been happening. I am so glad you all likedmy colour interpretation, I am beginning to enjoy the green one now, after your encouragement, and seeing it on the easel for a few days.

Update on the guillotine...a guillotine is the one with the big knife, like the one on Ebay I showed above; the one with a rotary knife is a trimmer here. I lost the bidding for that knife one, probably just as well, it looked vicious and I would have ended up chopping off a finger or something, (well, it makes a change from slicing bits off with a Stanley knife) but in the process of checking prices I found a rotary trimmer for not much more money, and I reckon that will be safer,( even if I cannot cut fome core, which would have been nice. )

I'm off to do another kiddie-in-the-water picture. I keep trying to break away from those images, becauswe they are a bit "chocolate box" but I really do love doing them! There is something truly enchanting about the innocence and uninhibitidness of children.

Trilby
08-01-2005, 06:16 PM
You know, almost everyone likes chocolate so I wouldn't worry about doing "sweet". If concerned about the boy's feet, how about bending a leg or both at the knees so they show above his rump, however, I personally am not troubled by the pose. It's just a lovely fresh piece.
TJ

jackiesimmonds
08-02-2005, 02:00 AM
You know, almost everyone likes chocolate so I wouldn't worry about doing "sweet". If concerned about the boy's feet, how about bending a leg or both at the knees so they show above his rump, however, I personally am not troubled by the pose. It's just a lovely fresh piece.
TJ

thanks for this, Az.
J

Mikki Petersen
08-02-2005, 02:13 AM
You said it so well AZtrillium! Jackie your children paintings are not sweet, they are enchanting and I would think there would be quite an audience for them. I still love the little line of ballerinas that I have. Makes me smile every time I view it. Your focus is not on a "portrait" but a moment and you do it so well.

I went back and studied the painting again and the boy on his tummy reads correctly to me...his legs seem to be dangling off the other side of the dock where they would not be seen from the angle of the painting. It's a delightful painting! Go paint some more!

Mikki

Ruth Grinstead
08-02-2005, 03:54 AM
Hi Jackie

I like the green version 1 better too although I am late with my input due to PC probs.

Ruth

jackiesimmonds
08-03-2005, 02:59 AM
thanks girls, I feel very encouraged, will do some more!!! I like the idea that it is a "moment". I also like using the rich bright colours, so joyful and all about what it is to be a kid, somehow.

Jackie