PDA

View Full Version : My Old Friend

Faded
07-30-2005, 10:01 AM
I posted a w.i.p. of this on the "What's on your easel" thread a couple of weeks ago, this is the finished piece. This man was a very good friend of mine, almost like a grandfather to me. I met him several years ago, and used to help him in his gardens on Saturdays. We would work for a while, then sit and talk about what was going on in the world. This went on for several years until John suffered a debilitating stroke in 2003. He lived out the rest of his days in a nursing home, where I'd go to visit and continue our talks. In 1999 the local paper did a story about folks who had seen the better part of the 20th century. John, being 92 at the time, was a natural candidate for the piece. This photo ran with the story, and it's how I remember my old friend best, sitting in his yard and discussing world affairs, sports and anything else that came to mind. John passed away on April 1st of this year, and this was my way of dealing with it. I can say without hesitation that it has been the most difficult portrait I've ever done, I think mostly because I knew him so well, and wanted to do justice to his memory. I'd like to think he would have enjoyed this.
This is grisaille on 12x16 5/8"gallery wrap. All comments welcome. Thanks
-Faded

Leslie Pz
07-30-2005, 10:10 AM
So glad I am the first to say EXCELLENT! You really captured it well and your contrasts are very strong.
-Les

Lady Carol
07-30-2005, 11:11 AM
Wonderful David. What a fine way to remember a dear old friend.

SilverLady
07-30-2005, 12:21 PM
OH! My! What a great painting. What a thoughtful thing to do. I wish I could do this kind of thing. Great.

SilverLady

jan409
07-30-2005, 01:41 PM
David: This is a wonderful way to honor your dear friend. I am sure he would be proud. It is so well done. Jan

3chaway9
07-30-2005, 04:29 PM
Well done david........i'm sure he would have been pleased to see this lovely portrait.

krystakaye
07-30-2005, 05:01 PM
David, wonderfully done and a great way to show honor to your friend. Thanks for sharing the portrait and story.

chaz
07-30-2005, 05:10 PM
Wonderful David. I believe he IS enjoying this at this very moment. And smilingat his best friend's work.

Faded
07-31-2005, 12:38 PM
Thank you all, I really appreciate your positive comments. This was a very emotional experience for me, but it really helped me to deal with the loss in a productive way. Thanks again for taking the time to post.
-David

Starsprite
07-31-2005, 11:20 PM
WOW David!!!! Your portrait looks just like him!! You should be very proud of this! I'm glad it helped you to cope with his passing on. I knew how much you enjoyed chatting with him and helping him with his garden. I'm not sure how the grisaille works but the outcome of this is just outstanding!! :) :clap: :clap: :clap:

Lulu
08-01-2005, 01:53 AM
What a wonderful painting - one of life's gentlemen - and what a blessing to be able to work through your grief this way.

Faded
08-01-2005, 08:05 AM
Thanks Patty and Lulu, I really appreciate it.
-David