PDA

View Full Version : Paint??Ink??

Tony Perrotta
01-06-2002, 04:37 PM
Hi everybody, Another ??. Is paint or ink preferable for monoprints using tile as my plate. If the paint is thick won't it spread out of the design I am trying to make. I will be using acry. with medium added to slow drying. Does the brayer eliminate this problem by spreading it uniformly. I am going to but inks as well just in case.

Thanks Tony

sassybird
01-06-2002, 04:52 PM
I have used both ink and watercolors. If you use watercolors be sure to soak you paper for a bit, place it between two other sheets of absorbant paper and roll over it with a rolling pin to get more water out of the paper. Then take the paper put it over your plate and place another piece of paper over that then rub. The moist paper will pull up the watercolor very nicely.

I have painted ink on a plate and printed from that too. But, you have to keep your inks tacky enough that they adhere to the plate while at the same time being thick enough to not bleed out of the image area.

Gisela
01-08-2002, 12:26 AM
I haven't tried it yet, but in her book on monotype, Julia Ayers suggests that when using acrylics, you mist the paper with 99% pure isopropyl alcohol. If soaking your paper first, blot it before misting.

Gisela

PS use proper ventilation!

sassybird
01-08-2002, 08:45 AM
I need to get that book, Gisela. I have never used acrylics as they dry too fast for me.

ZOTMA
01-08-2002, 01:48 PM
the few monoprints I've done, I've done with Daniel Smith water soluble printing inks with what I'd consider success. I used both 140 lb drawing paper (slap me on the hand, I was playin) and 100% rag BFK Reves (sp?) of a medium weight. Of course they reacted differently and both were fun to try and good effects were accomplished.

almost forgot; as far as the drying thing, if you use the water solubles (or watercolor, hadn't tried nor thought of that!), you can use a spray bottle and mist the piece if the ink dries too fast (I did on a few). I use both brayer and the method of applying the ink with a brush (I believe that's a Japanese method) to get desired graphics and color variation.

timelady
01-08-2002, 04:04 PM
I experimented with acrylic paints for monotypes recently and found them very difficult to control. Water-based printing inks work very well though. You can also get oil-based printing inks that are much easier to use than oil paints if you're trying to keep it simple. Speedball makes them.

You may want to experiment both with wetting the paper or not (I usually use a mister and then blot it a bit as I don't have space to soak paper). Also try different papers - japanese rice papers do some beautiful things with monotypes.

I nearly always brush on extra colour at the end, or do some soft pastel work (chalk, not oil) over the image after it's dry. (a practice even Degas used with his monoprints - many of his pastels have a monoprint underneath)

Tina.

ZOTMA
01-08-2002, 05:07 PM
pastel work over monoprint.....I'm running to the studio!
thanks timelady

Tony Perrotta
01-08-2002, 06:10 PM
Thanks everybody, I did the background for my first print today. I used the ceramic tile(with texture) as a plate and covered them with color to get the 2 rectangles I needed. I used Acr. and worked fast, but I can see they dry much to fast. I plan on putting 2 faces on top of this facing each other. I am concerned about the control I will have in keeping the paint where I want it. I will have to use oils or ink for this, the acr. is not the thing to use. So I still have the question oils or ink?. How much should oils be thinned and also should the ink be thinned, I've never worked with ink before.

Thanks Tony

ZOTMA
01-08-2002, 06:31 PM
I haven't worked with oil ink but the water soluble ones I mix in a little water at a time until I feel the 'right' consistancy (that would be up to you) though I don't over water so I can control them and so they don't 'bleed' too much. I think you're to the point where you may want to experiment to find what works best for ya.
I haven't worked with tile but it seems like it would be 'slippery' trying to control the ink. I've used linoleum that hasn't been carved and the backside of the speedball easy cut blocks (the side that hasn't been carved) for the surface of my monoprints and it has worked splendidly (as they seem to have just enough 'tooth' to hold the ink in place).
Perhaps others have some suggestions or you could pick up a piece of linoleum (the kind for carving) to use.
Would love to see what you've done so far!

Tony Perrotta
01-08-2002, 06:48 PM
Hi Zotma, Yeah I only did the background with the tile for the texture. I am going to use plexiglass for the faces. I will post some work when I get the dig cam I have been waiting for for ages,believe me I can't wait.

Thanks tony

msue
01-11-2002, 12:23 AM
I've only done a few monoprints, but one method I was told to use with watercolor is to mix a few drops of dishwashing soap with the paint. Most of the prints I've done was using a kit made by Createx. I believe they are acrylic inks. The kit comes with a medium you coat your plate (plexiglass) with.

Tony Perrotta
01-11-2002, 07:54 AM
Hi MSue, Yeah This is the first print of any kind, I am doing now. This is the experiment, we'll see what happens, I'm sure I'll learn from it, in theory it should come out good, but as we all know theory and practice sit very far apart.

Thanks Tony