PDA

View Full Version : Eucalyptus at the beach. WIP

imlayte
07-30-2005, 02:08 AM
Used this reference in a Plein Air outing and thought the trees would look better down by the beach. They are in the back of an overgrown, rustic, cluttered but very interesting 60s type nursery, if you catch my drift.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2005/21867-DSC01854-1.JPG

I chose a 20 x 30 gallery wrap canvas as I've been doing a lot of those lately and they fit nicely in my new truck. Hopefully my following decisiones will contain more logic than that!
Anyway, I felt more comfortable with those weighty trees on the left and some counter weights on the right, surf, shack, and maybe a red bougainvilla. The plan for the sky would be (top to bottom) Ultramarine, Cerulean, add a little green, then add a little magenta. Mix plenty in 4 piles so you'll have leftovers wetted and covered with plastic wrap to use as 'erasers' at the end. Or for more sky holes.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2005/21867-DSC01858-1.JPG

Howard L

3chaway9
07-30-2005, 06:41 AM
I love the ref. pic.....looking good lots of nice colour.

Leslie Pz
07-30-2005, 10:30 AM
Wow! Very colorful. Interesting composition. The "ground" color is broken, nicely!
-Les

Lady Carol
07-30-2005, 11:15 AM
Looking good. The composition is well balanced and the path leads the eye nicely into the painting.

imlayte
07-31-2005, 10:46 PM
OK work is over, back to the fun stuff. I selected a #12 single stroke talcon brush and started over the top of the canvas (gallery wrap) and then on the face of the top, covering 2 to 3 inches down and all the way across with the Ultramarine Blue.

With all rows of color just skip over areas of foliage and trunks.

And then with the dirty brush, right away into the lighter mixture of Cerulean Blue adding it into the bottom of the Ultra doing some crude blending all the way across.

And then more Cerulean for a second course lower down to about halfway. Don't worry about 'skips', the underpainting will take care of those.

You can now give the brush one quickie wipe with a paper knapkin ( I don't wash it) and then push it right away into the lighter mixture with the green. Same as before, a crude blend with the cerulean above and then another course all the way across except for tree skips.

And then, you guessed it, same deal with last mixture containing the magenta. Try for a horizontal straight line for the horizon. Its the only place I want a straight line in my works. When you stand back and look at your sky don't be too hard on yourself. When you get those colorful trees, surf, house and sand the public won't be interested in what you've done there.

In this frame I've also done more tree planning. Tried some greens, warm and new and then older and in shade. Burnt Sienna and lavender looks good on the trunks. Ultra and diox will be nice in the cool areas. In a thread here I saw some orange poppies and that gave me an idea to have an orange bougainvilla over by the house. That would be a nice discord color. The sand color is tricky to decide till the end. The wave can be Ultra.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/31-Jul-2005/21867-DSC01859-1.JPG

Thankyou LadyCarol, Leslie and Chaway for taking a look and commenting.

Howard L

imlayte
08-02-2005, 02:15 AM
Next firming up the trees. First I somewhat randomly underpainted especially in the lower areas amongst the trunks with Ultra marine, Dioxine, and Cerulean and BS. In the upper foliage areas just Cerulean.

Now is a good time to put some detail in the tree trunks. I made some very light mixtures of Raw Umber ( Finity is the only one I've liked) and Yellow/orange and Naples Yellow is good too. I like Naples, its almost like when I'm in that area of the wheel and in doubt I grab the Naples, a lovely gray yellow/orange. For the cast shadow and shade parts I used some of that sky magenta with Cerulean. Use BS straight in shade and tinted in sunlit areas.

For the sunny foliage I used three mixtures of Lemon Yellow with Ultramarine and in the shadow areas I used Cobalt Green Dp plus a dot of Lemon and for the darkest, Cobalt Green Dp plus Cerulean. I applied with a knife from darkest to lightest. Used delicately the knife does a nice skipping motion creating believeable foliage. Later pull in some BS and where the foliage on the back side silouetes against the sky, straight Cerulean.

Now cleanup the trunks with the previous colors.

Howard L

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/02-Aug-2005/21867-DSC01860-1.JPG

k9artisan
08-02-2005, 05:21 AM
Howard,

This is so fascinating watching the progress of your work and your memory of exactly what colors you used and how! The painting is coming along beautifully and I am enjoying the show. Thanks for sharing it with us!
Amber

imlayte
08-04-2005, 01:20 AM
Putting in the pieces on the right. Just a simple small house perched up away from the high tides with a red oxide roof. three palms on the front side and greenery with red/orange blooms on the back side. I made a weak mixture of Finity Raw Umber and mingled it with the leftover sky colors for the far sand, warming it as it comes forward.Check for sufficent sky holes before using all the sky colors.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Aug-2005/21867-DSC01861-1.JPG

To finish up the sand leadin/foreground I first under painted with some mixtures of umber, gold ocher, Diox., BS and some of that flower color. Just make simple designs that are somewhat directional like you're walking or drivig yer 4 wheeler to the beach and use the various colors. Most of this will be covered over in the next step but its there if I need it.

Make light mixtures of Raw U. and gold ocher. Starting where I left off with the sand start with R Umber and come forward warming the mixture as you go. At the same time I'll be carving out the ruts and foot steps and also leaving under painted colors showing.

Last, I'll mingle some grass colors with the sand in places and then add the Magenta/Ultra cast shadow on the sand.

Thanks for looking,

Howard L

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Aug-2005/21867-DSC01865-1.JPG

gurleygirl
08-04-2005, 09:27 AM
Absolutely beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!

praiseHisname40
08-04-2005, 11:41 PM
Hi Howard....... This is absolutely Gorgeous...Makes me wanna go back to the beach!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

imlayte
08-05-2005, 11:42 PM
Thanks Amber for taking a look and commenting. I hope you enjoyed the ending.

Howard L

imlayte
08-07-2005, 11:02 AM
Thanks Tracey and Kaye for taking a look and commenting.

Howard L

ExpressiveAngie
08-07-2005, 02:19 PM
I love seeing how others work...Thanks for the wip......Just beautiful!

imlayte
08-17-2005, 01:09 AM
Pastelmama, thanks for your reply and comment.

Howard L

gnu
09-12-2005, 03:21 PM
Ok, that does it, Iv'e now decided I'm a BIG fan of yours! :clap: your work appeals to me enormously!! (i have to admit I even like your first step as is) :D

imlayte
09-17-2005, 10:39 AM
Thankyou gnu for your interest and enthusiasm.

Howard L

bullyluvver
09-17-2005, 05:00 PM
Just found this, and I'm glad I did. I found your use of colour breathtaking so I just had to visit your website - WOW!!! Your work is stunningly beautiful - consider me a BIG fan also!

Gail