PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Cultural Fruit

ottwork
07-28-2005, 02:41 PM
Hey WCers! I've been working on this painting, and I'm a bit stumped - maybe you all could help? I'm not at all happy with the pears in this - that upper one's shape got a little wonky, but that's all fixable. This is the first painting I've ever started without a drawing already on the canvas...

My thoughts in painting it the way I did was that the pears were kind of garish and mocking the apple - but I'm not sure that what I did worked at all. It may be that I've just got too much middle tone, and need to pull out some darks and lights.

So - should I throw it out or is it salvageable?
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2005/64088-P72700021resized.jpg

BTW - this was painted from life - although some colors have been altered. It is about 24"x24" and (obviously) acrylics.

Thanks!!

Spyderbabe
07-28-2005, 03:47 PM
Hi Diahn -
Pears with attitude ;-) They're fine, so is the apple... I might consider changing the background... the red competes a bit with your apple. Maybe change it all to a dark umber with some yellow ochre highlights and drop the horizon line a few inches?

MsLilypond
07-28-2005, 05:07 PM
you may have a smidge too much mid tone colors

I grayscaled it in photo shop for you.

Charlie's Mum
07-28-2005, 05:37 PM
It's always salvageable Diahn!

I like the cloth folds - very believable, but the colour seems a little intense.
Apart from the similarity in tones, the blue, green and red are all very strong and competing. I think the cloth needs to lose intensity as it moves back - I feel the same about the pears too - you could make the sizing vary a bit and the colour of the back one less intense. By lightening some, and some of the cloth, you'll increase your tonal variation too.
I agree about moving the table edge down - just a little, to cut behind the cloth ..... too much would take away the support needed for cloth and fruit !!!!!!

I like that apple - but I think, being to the fore, it could be bigger (but it's beautifully painted!) :D

ottwork
07-28-2005, 05:43 PM
Hi Diahn -
Pears with attitude ;-)

:) Yes - I think they are picking on that poor apple for being so pretty and shiny! :) Thanks for your comments - I think you are right about the background - I'll try it out.

MsLilypond - Thanks for taking the time to do that for me! I thought that may be the case...next time I'll try out the PS trick!

Maureen - thank you...and I believe you are right about the cloth - it is the largest chunk of middle tone in the painting, and seems to be drowning the rest out. I have to say that I am mighty proud of that apple - even if it is a bit small - kind of makes the pears look bigger and meaner, though, doesn't it? :evil:

krystakaye
07-28-2005, 10:51 PM
I'm all for the apple...I'm a sucker for the underdog! ha. The apple is very nicely done...he's my favorite!!!