PDA

View Full Version : texture?

baycanvases
07-28-2005, 04:23 AM
Hi there,

I'm looking for some advice please. I normally paint in acryllics but I'd like to try and add some texture to the canvas. The sort of texture you would get with a palette knife and oils. My first thought was artex!...but I think this would be a bit heavy on a canvas. Is there any substance out there that I could use that has been tried and tested?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Carol Ann

timelady
07-28-2005, 04:58 AM
Golden makes a light molding paste for just this sort of thing - building heavy texture without the weight. It has a porous finish though (a bit like cake) so you probably would want to go over it with gesso or something to get smoothness back.

You could also try their regular molding paste, or a texture gel or something too. Again, the medium will change the feel of the surface, gell might make it very slippery. So you might want to gesso on top? Not sure if that will work on gel but someone else probably does.

Why not just work in acrylics with a palette knife just like you would with oils? Full body tube paints should work fine, perhaps with some gel added to give it extra body.

Tina.

Lulu
07-28-2005, 07:05 AM
I often use gesso to get texture, but also just the paint itself, but of course you use more paint that way. I also have used Atelier moulding gel. They also make moulding paste.

Einion
07-28-2005, 03:34 PM
Hi Carol Ann, what Tina said :)

Einion

MsLilypond
07-28-2005, 05:15 PM
Acrylics can be thickened even further using agents such as gel medium (which comes in regular, heavy, extra heavy & high solid in the Golden brand) & modeling paste (which also comes in several varieties.) Be warned, mixing paint when you mix the paint with the medium the paint appears lighter than it does when it dries. The medium is white until dry. It's probably a good idea to mix the color you want before adding the medium. Another way to paint with impasto is with Liquitex's super heavy body acrylics. Let me tell you that is some seriously thick paint.