PDA

View Full Version : The Volunteer

Obedec
07-27-2005, 08:02 PM
Hi All,
Shadowling sent me over. This is my latest work (I actually have three laying around at the moment). It is a volunteer mallow that came up in a flowerpot that's laying around (in fact I ran over the pot with my car, that's the shape it's in LOL). I was quite taken with it and am still working on it. It's a 5x7 ampersand board and my tools are a #11 exacto knife and dental tools. I just started a second scratching on it today, making sure that my details are where I want them for when I paint it.

BTW, Shadowling, I also work in the copper or gold and the silver. If you want a decent photo of it, take it outside, unframed, on an overcast day. My last one was done by a professional photographer and he still did it that way too. It came out very, very nice, but it still doesn't give you any idea of exactly how the stuff looks. Then! I mentioned to a photographer about the metallic and the difficulties and she sent me to mpix.com (please note: I have nothing to do with them except I've used them). They carry a metallic photo paper. I've had my "Reined In" reprinted on the metallic paper and it's almost as good as the original except you can get it in different sizes. Reasonable prices too.

Karen H
Waldport, OR

Mary Woodul
07-27-2005, 08:41 PM
Hi Karen! Welcome to Mixed Media. Your work is beautiful and I can imagine how it looks in real life. How long does it take you to do something like this?

Obedec
07-27-2005, 08:50 PM
Depends on my mental image for the final picture. I've got approx five hours into this one so it will probably end up being about 12-16 hours worth of work...it is small although I don't think it's small enough to be classed as a true miniature. I'm going to put another hour into it tonight and then it might be ready for painting. That's going to be the tough part, this flower is a gorgeous purple and black.
Karen

Mary Woodul
07-27-2005, 09:07 PM
It will be stunning. Don't forget to post it here, we would love to see it.

valchina612
07-29-2005, 11:00 AM
Karen, this is really beautiful. Your work is so fine, and very controlled. Unfortunately we can't buy this type of board here in Australia.
Great work. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Val. :wave:

Obedec
07-29-2005, 10:48 PM
Hi everyone,
This may be finished, I'm not sure. It's going to sit for a day or two and then I may take it and see what it looks like with a frame. My experiment didn't work the way I wanted it to, but I did get an interesting effect out of it. Maybe that's why they say don't fool with mother nature. I used inks and definitely did not like the effect, so I re-scratched...that's when I got what I have now.

C&C and advice welcome.
Karen H

Jakeally
07-30-2005, 03:59 AM
Sometimes I think its good to mess with nature and let yourself go. I think this will look stunning when framed :clap: :clap:

Penny220
08-04-2005, 01:48 PM
very nice. I love the richness of the colors.