PDA

View Full Version : WIP - Golf course quickie

SusanKay
07-27-2005, 06:04 PM
Ok I am trying to paint something for a gift before saturday. I have done a small 11x8 piece for practice to get a feel for the green colors. I hate to paint green and you can't paint a golf course without it.

Chris: I am looking for your input on this. The reference photo is located here (http://canongategolf.com/index.cfm?menu=2945).

I plan to do this on 1/4 sheet. I want some sky even though there is none in the photo. I am having trouble with the left side going off to a distant place, and the water. I have thought of leaving the water out and puting in another bunker on the left. Don't want it to look real augusta-ish.

Please C&C, all welcome
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/27-Jul-2005/64391-chapelhills1.jpg

thanks susan

The Nurse
07-27-2005, 08:47 PM
Susan,
I think you've made a good start. Your greens are actually quite nice. Your composition is simplified, as it should be for a smaller piece and something you want to do quickly. I'd make the trees in the background to the left cooler, going toward a lavendar. Not sure what colors you've used in your practice here, but Fr. Ultramarine and perm. rose mix a nice purple, which you can play with to give the shade you like. I think I'd stay a bit more toward the Fr. Ult. so that it stays back. And make sure its lesser in value than your foreground trees here. Also, I wouldn't be afraid to show more of the tree shadows across the path and down the hills, playing up some of the rose of the azaleas. Look at your reference to see how the wonderful play of colors works there. My only other comment is to make your water more calm-looking. Your piece here appears to have been done wet-on-dry and so it gives the appearance of choppiness. Wet-on-wet would work well with the rose color placed in with a half-loaded brush moving downward to mimic how the reflection of the azaleas would fall.

I hope this helps, and good luck! Good start!!

SusanKay
07-27-2005, 10:28 PM
good tips Nurse. THanks so much. I am planning on working on the piece tomorrow. I think for now I am going to try for just a 1/4 sheet.

susan

AnneBedford
07-27-2005, 10:50 PM
Susan Kay,

Your golfer might find this a pretty hard course to play. Smiles! Hills have always been my undoing and added many a stroke to my game. I have purposely avoided looking at the suggestions made by our nurse artist, so that if we repeat things, they will mean more to you. Take great care when you do trees not to put all of your green behind the tree. This is a common error. Put some shapes of green in front of portions of your trunk. Also, let a little sky show through in places. Ed Whitney would tell you, "You are a shape maker. Keep shapes interesting." I tell my students to "first see it, then you don't," with trunks and branches. I think you will like your trees better if you follow this rule. You asked Chris to help you, but I looked too at your beautiful reference photo. It has such wonderful darks tucked under the trees. Use some of those. It will lend tremendous interest to your work. I noted too the course that ran behind the row of trees. If you can include that, it will be nice...making some breaks in your trees to show it. More than anything, I was so impressed with the gorgeous reflections in the water trap. Wow! You have some wonderful material to work with. Study that reference well and you will have a masterpiece. I have seen other things you have done and know you have what it takes to make a very nice painting. You are working against the clock, bless you. Go girl! You can do it! Hope it goes well for you.
Anne

murliss
07-28-2005, 02:26 AM
Susan
I've looked at both your painting and your ref, and while I don't usually offer advice, one thing really jumped out at me on this. That is that, in the photo, both the water line and the green are perfectly straight, with the water being exactly horizontal - maybe that's why you're not happy with it??
You've painted the green with a distinct curve, especially on the right.
Is that a path running across the top of the bunkers?? It might be an idea to make it less regular.
Other than those points, you've made a great start here - please don't replace the water with a bunker!! Your greens are fine, too, although I agree with Anne's comments about the trees.
I feel sure you'll pull this off, even though you've set yourself a deadline!

Good luck!!!
Lin

Yorky
07-28-2005, 03:23 AM
Shadows - where are the shadows - even the pin has no shadow :evil: :D

You get my hint, Susan - add some shadows :)

Doug

seedy
07-28-2005, 09:55 AM
Hi.....
Looked at your photo.....excellent.
I've done a few of these and the challenge is doing the many variations of green.
The secret to golf course greens is to paint all the 'grass' greens with the lightest green, using a colour such as you have done for the "green" itself. Use a big brush.
Then come back with the next darkest and do the same thing, going around the "green' and the traps....then next darkest.....and so on....allowing each step to dry....
Try to do the background trees and flowers in a loose or out of focus style which helps
sharpen the green.
Good luck....

SusanKay
07-28-2005, 10:14 AM
Ok I have printed out everyone's tips. Thank you all for responding.
I am now sitting down and trying this on 1/2 sheet.

I have left the water, but not sure if I want that straight across look. That lake actually is very curvy. I guess just the angle of this photo. In the game this lake actually does not come into play, I guess that is why I have not noticed it much before.

wish me luck.

Will post if it turns out worth looking at again.

Susan Kay

SusanKay
07-28-2005, 03:03 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/28-Jul-2005/64391-chapelhills_001.jpg

Well not sure I like it, but I will wait for some feed back, before I go out and buy him a pair of socks.

C&C welcome, please
susan

mr sandbanx
07-28-2005, 06:11 PM
Chris: I am looking for your input on this. The reference photo is located here (http://canongategolf.com/index.cfm?menu=2945).

Sorry Susan, I was away, but I recall dreaming this...

It looks to me like you have had more than enough good help, and as you may be aware, me and greens (Both the colour and the surface) have a relationship which is tenuous at best. Only two bits of advice here:

First is to add some shadows at the right edge of the traps.

Second: If I can see the edge of the purple bushes reflected in the water, I might expect to see the flag reflected as well....

Save the socks for Christmas, I think this final version will be very well received. And if he plays this course: Forget the socks entirely and get a ball retreiver, or some hip waders for his caddy.

Gooby

SusanKay
07-28-2005, 09:15 PM
Thanks Gooby for your reply.
I have added some shadow in the bunkers, and I'm going out today to get a mat and frame.
The receiver has no need of a retriever or waders. He is the pro at our club, and my boss. He is leaving to go to another Canongate club as director of golf. We are very sad. He shoots about 65 on this course pictured.

Thanks to all who viewed and critiqued.
Don't know what I would do without this site.

Susan Kay

mr sandbanx
07-29-2005, 12:35 AM
Ahhhh... even Tiger goes in the water once in a while! It's a good character builder and is intended as an appeasement to the gods of golf. That's my excuse anyway.

good luck Susan, I am sure this will be a highlight of his new office.

Chris

ripvanblair
07-29-2005, 05:20 AM
This is very nice very peaceful scene, I would lift out a couple of highlights just under the dark diagonal line , just to make it sparkle, hope this helps------------------Alan