PDA

View Full Version : plein air

sundiver
07-27-2005, 10:26 AM
I haven't been in here much lately as I've been focusing on pastels for plein airs, plus I'm on dialup here at the cottage. (I just tried to look at someone's painting in this forum, and nearly went comatose waiting for it to download)

I still haven't figured out a convenient way to transport my acrylic stuff for plein airs, and haven't got a handle on how acrylics darken when they dry. I like to paint on colored surfaces, so maybe I need to try a light underpainting on the lightest spots.

Anyway, on 8x10 canvas primed red.
Crits and other advice most welcome.

Wayne Gaudon
07-27-2005, 10:53 AM
Wendy .. this is very beautiful .. the color scheme is strong with great depth .. one little nit is the backfield lines seem too clean and defined. I would soften them to let them melt into the tree line and vice versa .. that would add a lot of atmospheric distance .. not needed but I think it would enhance a great painting to an extraordinary painting. :D

bjcpaints
07-27-2005, 10:59 AM
Hi Wendy! Your PA painting is lovely. As far a transport - I just delegated an old Samsonite overnight case for all my paint tubes and it works great! VERY durable and easy to carry!
Barbara
PS See Charlie's Mum's "Tips thread" here for more ideas for storage/transport

Charlie's Mum
07-27-2005, 01:20 PM
I've just responded to this but it's got lost on that 'Page cannot be displayed' affair!!!!!!!
Here's the tip thread Wendy look for airtight sandwich box! (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278190&page=7&pp=15)
you'll need kitchen towel. greaseproof paper and a couple of copper pennies - keeps fresh for looooooong time and light to carry.

It'll help make more of these gorgeous works - a little gem here ..... Is it PEI?

Silent Jaguar
07-27-2005, 01:57 PM
That looks awesome!

As for hauling equipment everybody has different ways and they all work well, but it's finding whatever is best for you.

For me this is what works: Soltek easel with 16 Golden acrylic paints, 5 brushes (two flats, two rounds and a fan), a palette knife, palette, sea sponge, spritzer, rag and a nifty little fabric collapsable water bucket. Outside the easel holds a 9x12 watercolor paper pad. In my hand I carry a 20 oz bottle (or more) of filtered water both for drinking and to pour into the bucket. Basically I make the easel carry everything but the water. It makes life easier for me. For longer durations, I'll bring a purse or backpack to carry the water and some snacks. Occassionally, the easel holds the snacks too.

Bertoni
07-27-2005, 03:30 PM
Wendy:
It's a beauty!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: Love everything about it!
For plein air with acrylics, I plan to use my small Masterson Stay Wet palette.
Have a large Masterson, but that's better in the studio! :)