PDA

View Full Version : New book by Richard McDaniel

Shari
07-26-2005, 07:05 PM
I just got Richard McDaniel's new book, "On Location, Plein Air Painting in Pastel" and it looks amazing. I have only read the first 10 pages or so, but I got so excited, I had to post this! The forward is lovingly written by Albert Handell. The book goes extensively into preparation and painting on location and then back in the studio. The pictures are YUMMY!!!!

Shari

khourianya
07-26-2005, 07:19 PM
I bought this book as soon as I found it locally. It is really good. Highly recommended. It really inspires you to pack up your pastels and head outside.

HarvestMoon
07-26-2005, 08:27 PM
oh, you guys- not something new and wonderful....Master Card is pissed at me... local library calls pastel 'colored chalk' sigh...

Khadres
07-26-2005, 08:38 PM
I've got this one too! Lovely book, indeed. I also succumbed to a copy of Capturing Light in Colored Pencil....has some mouth-watering stuff in it which could be used in pastel just as well. Beautiful books!

Paula Ford
07-26-2005, 09:22 PM
Oh boy! Another reason to surf Ebay and Amazon!! YIPPY!!!

HarvestMoon
07-27-2005, 10:06 AM
Made the mistake of looking for this on Dakota's site- they had a BUNCH of new pastel books... sigh...

Shari
07-27-2005, 11:02 AM
I usually try to buy from amazon.com because you save 30-40% usually and there is no shipping.

Shari

HarvestMoon
07-27-2005, 01:35 PM
Hi Shari- well the last art book I bought from amazon was sort of a disaster- it was my fault- but an artist who does wonderful mountain scenery recommended this particular book as being extremely good.... I had about 1 minute before I had to run out the door- so I zipped over to amazon, found the book, noticed it was expensive, but figured if it would be a huge coffee table book full of wonderful pictures of mountains.... it turned out it was an out of print book, sold by an individual, who had set the price, and it was a thin book, a good book mind you but had nothing whatsoever about mountains... I never got a reply on the return on an out of print reseller book- at any rate, Dakota had them all on one page- perhaps now they can hire someone to do more pastel photos ;) I have a horrible habit of trying to keep smaller businesses going by shopping there (not that I have not spent a bundle at amazon since they first opened), but I need to win the lotto now to pay all the bills in my lifetime....

Shari
07-27-2005, 06:29 PM
Maybe we should all buy stock in amazon.

Shari

HarvestMoon
07-27-2005, 07:43 PM
Shari- that's a great idea- but pastels, or stock? hmmm

scall0way
07-28-2005, 03:26 PM
I do adore amazon.com. I've been a customer of theirs since 1996 when they had been in business less than a year. I still have a few amazon coffee mugs they sent me as Christmas gifts my first 2-3 years as a customer. It's just too darned easy to rack up $25 worth of books so I can get the free shipping! I just got two books by Jackie Simmonds from them.

Debbie C.

chewie
07-28-2005, 04:48 PM
yup, this is a great book! the colors, wow, i am so wanting to use some color the way he does! and i DID run out and paint outside cuz of it!! i wasn't even reading it at the time, i just seen it sitting there and seen the perfect weather, and i just couldn't help myself!! so i grabbed supplies, kids, and gone! grand fun too!

Khadres
07-28-2005, 05:11 PM
Good for you, chewie! Actually, it sounds like a great outting for mums and kids! The kids can play and use up some of that boundless energy and you get to do great art!

I like Amazon, too, Debbie. I've gotten to where I usually get art related books as they come out from Amazon and old titles from their used sellers...some are so inexpensive, even with shipping costs, when compared to the auction sites. However...I did get three brand new...or at least never even opened looking...colored pencil books last week for less than $25...altogether, including shipping...on eBay. Three different sellers, but they were all $25 and $30 books if bought from new retailers. So eBay is worth checking now and then...