PDA

View Full Version : memory test

jackiesimmonds
07-26-2005, 02:12 PM
OK gang ... thinking caps on....a while ago, there was a thread about values, which included some suggestion about a "strip" with holes in it and another strip with blobs of various tones in grey - I think - anyway .... if it rings bells with anyone, could you let me know which thread it was? I'd like to find it, if at all possible.

thanks a lot
Jackie

*Marina*
07-26-2005, 02:56 PM
Jackie,

I cannot remember that thread but I will tell you what my teacher here in Holland always suggests. He advises to use one of those test cards you can get in a do it yourself shop or paint shop with examples of all the different colours of grey paint. Just punch holes in it. If you put that card over your painting you can see the gradation of tone. I find it very useful and use it a lot.
Hope you understand what I mean. A bit difficult to explain.

Marina

Khadres
07-26-2005, 03:19 PM
Dick Blick and most others sell the grey scale strips for a song...I try to keep one near every painting spot; they're very handy indeed. For those interested, check the color wheel area of the online art supply stores.

angecald
07-26-2005, 06:27 PM
Jackie, is this what you are looking for? The link was posted by Deborah in the Weekly Scumble of July 4 thru 10, post date 07-05-05.

http://www.grantsmission.com/overview.htm

jackiesimmonds
07-27-2005, 04:46 AM
Jackie, is this what you are looking for? The link was posted by Deborah in the Weekly Scumble of July 4 thru 10, post date 07-05-05.

http://www.grantsmission.com/overview.htm

thanks for this, but no, it isn't what I saw. I drew a little diagram to remind myself (but stupidly, not a link to where I saw it), and it is L-shaped, with holes. Most odd. I cannot think quite what it means to have it L shaped, so that is why I want to find it again. It might be helpful for an article I have to write.

Marina, thanks foryour idea, it's a good one, I really like the idea and will go to my local DIY store and get one! It will probably be even cheaper than the ones sold by Dick Blick sooz, - free!!

Jackie