PDA

View Full Version : Acrylics on clothing

ntheodor
07-26-2005, 01:02 PM
My name is Nicole, and i am pretty new to the forum.
I thought that the site is great, and i am glad that i came across it. I do have a question that i pray that someone could help me with.

I would like to know how to keep acrylics from fading from clothe materials and shirts.* Also, if you use any type of paint, or even a print how do you make it adhere to the tshirt surface better, and not pull up from the shirt. :wave:

Nanners
07-26-2005, 02:40 PM
I dont have any answers to this but I'm looking forward to maybe seeing replys from other people cuz I am interested in knowing this too!

katz
07-26-2005, 03:14 PM
I would think you would use fabric paints made for clothing.
Regular acryics are not made for fabric.

Gay

tubbekans
07-26-2005, 11:06 PM
You might find some answers in the wearable art forum
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275329

They probably have more people there who do acrylics on cloth. Not better people, just different. :cat:

sundiver
07-27-2005, 09:22 AM
I know there is something called Textile Medium, which mixes with acrylics to make fabric paint. I've seen it in the craft acrylics section.

Anita Murphy
07-27-2005, 09:52 AM
My mother started using acrylic paint to paint on fabrics. She found that if you let it dry completely and then washed the fabric the pigment stayed but lost that crisp paint on fabric feel. She used it to paint the fabric with her own designs that she then used to make chair covers for her garden furniture. If you want to keep the crispness of the pigments and not get a faded look you need to use fabric paints.

King Rundzap
07-27-2005, 10:03 AM
My mother started using acrylic paint to paint on fabrics. She found that if you let it dry completely and then washed the fabric the pigment stayed but lost that crisp paint on fabric feel. She used it to paint the fabric with her own designs that she then used to make chair covers for her garden furniture. If you want to keep the crispness of the pigments and not get a faded look you need to use fabric paints.

Right, it will fade a bit, but a lot of color will stay, and through many, many washings. When it's not hot, I wear old clothes to paint in (when it's hot I paint nude or in my underwear, lol), and I usually do a lot of brush cleaning on my clothes, so I have clothes with lots of acrylic, oil and other paints on them--sometimes I even paint little designs on myself while cleaning :cat: --and I've been washing some of them for at least a couple years. The paint is still there, and actually hasn't faded out that much. And I wash it normally--throw it in with detergent, hot water, etc.

After all, canvas, linen, velvet ( :wave: ) and such are fabrics, too, and we paint on them all the time.

I've found that the best thing to do is not worry about such things too much and go for it. Paint with acrylic on a t-shirt or whatever, wash it a few times, and see what happens. Maybe you'll like it, maybe not. I used to be reluctant to try different things like that, too, and now I'm not sure why. I might have been thinking that I didn't want anything to go "less than perfectly". But experimenting is a lot of fun. Just let whatever happens happen. If you don't like what happens in the experiment, then explore other things, in this case like fabric paints, different washing methods, etc.

BlueJackal
07-29-2005, 02:01 AM
Golden makes a medium specifically designed for clothing. Dick Blick (http://www.dickblick.com/zz006/28/) sells it. Look on that page for "GAC 900: Acrylic Polymer for Clothing Artists". I just bought some, but haven't yet gotten a chance to try it out yet.

ntheodor
07-29-2005, 09:13 PM
Thank you all for all of your help. I was also wondering if you are doing prints, what is a way to make the print or the paper adhere to the tshirt or jacket the best without it pulling away after a few washes? Is there a type of paper that would not do that or is there some kind of polymer that would make it stick to the cloth? Thanks for all your help, and creative ideas

Poorboy
04-25-2007, 03:32 PM
Hello all,
I too am new to this forum as well as airbrushing/painting on fabric techniques. I've done a lot of research and have found that Golden Artist has acrylic polymers that do various things but the one that turns any acrylic paint into fabric paint is 'GAC 900 Acrylic Polymer'. WOW!! what a time and money saver this will be.
My problem is this...I do not have a credit card (nor do I want one!) and it's been tough finding this product at my local art supply stores here in Windsor, Ontario Canada!! I have found one site so far that accepts PayPal so that's a start as I do use PayPal BUT the price has jumped from $11 to $17!!!.:confused: Some other sites in Canada but NOT my province do carry this awesome product! At these prices plus shipping I won't make much profit on my shirts as expected...maybe a dollar or two for all my hard work, dedication, detail and materials!
Any one with info is asked to please reply to this post.

Thanx in advance and hope the above info has helped someones

Toodles,
Poorboy

P.S. Keep Smiling :-):)

dreamz
04-25-2007, 04:44 PM
Well the textile medium was already mentioned, its generally used with craft paints not artist acrylics but it would probably work with them as well. I think Id stick with the craft paints though because they are cheaper and with all the colors available theres very little mixing needed..

When doing a heat transfer the main thing is HEAT.. a household iron will work to some degree but thats the type that peels easily, a good press is needed for quality transfers

Phantelope
04-25-2007, 06:09 PM
Poorboy, maybe you can ask a friend that has a credit card to order it for you? Order enough so you don't have to bother them too often, but that's what I'd do. And my guess would be that any store that carries Golden products would also special order the stuff for you.

As for the above question regarding prints, why not get an iron on transfer thing at the office supply store? You print what ever you want on it and iron it on a tshirt. Works surprisingly well, even with non archival ink jet inks. Lazertran makes a whole series of different transfer papers too.

Or you can make an acrylic transfer directly or via making a skin, but I'm not so sure how wearable that would be, I'd guess it would be a bit like a thin rubber matte glued on the shirt.

Experiment!

Oliver

PS: I'd love to see some of your work!

PPS: price it higher if you don't make enough money unless you see it as a hobby where you just want to recover the cost of material.

purplepansey
04-25-2007, 07:40 PM
Hi Nicole, welcome and as for your question, don't have an answer but do a Google and ask painting on cloth? I'm sure you can come up with an answer. Let us know.

laudesan
04-26-2007, 12:26 AM
Nicole I know I have acrylic paint on my clothes that has been there for years and hasn't faded. Go for it do a test and it through the wash 20 times and see what happens.

My problem is this...I do not have a credit card (nor do I want one!) and it's been tough finding this product at my local art supply stores here in Windsor, Ontario Canada!! I have found one site so far that accepts PayPal so that's a start as I do use PayPal Why can't you just use a bank cheque or a money order?:)

TxAggieDarlin
04-26-2007, 10:59 AM
I have painted on clothing, but only with textile paint. I think the brand was PLAID and check out Donna Newberry's site.