PDA

View Full Version : Violin & Book

MelG
07-26-2005, 05:32 AM
A new one.. this is 85x64cm (around 33''x25'') on pale gray paper. It wasn't easy to do at all! Yes, black background again. I have a soft spot for darkness it seems, forgive me! Besides, it is easier that way; focusing on the subject which is already a handfull! It took around 8hours, give or take..
It is my Mom's bday today and I will give it to her as a gift :) She has already seen it and watched me work on it. I think she will love to have it framed and hanged in her living room.
I use pastels, but not pastel pencils and I have a bit of a problem defining the edges of the objects clearly. Do you all use pastel pencils?? Or should I try more with simple pastels?
Melina.

MarshaSavage
07-26-2005, 06:58 AM
Oh, please don't define the edges any more than this. I think it is just right. Of course, I'm hoping that you are not really after a photo-realist look.

Your Mom is a lucky woman -- this is just beautiful and anyone would be proud to have it hanging on their wall!!!

What type of paper? You said pale grey -- but what type. Since you like dark -- have you used black paper?

MelG
07-26-2005, 07:53 AM
Hi Marsha,
No, this was not meant to be photo-realistic although I would love it to be. That is my goal at some point.
I haven't used any other but pale gray paper. It is called Palladium and it is for pastels. I am not certain if I can find the type of paper I have heard you guys use. Spectrum something..
I have a batch of 10 HUGE Palladium papers to .."spend"! So I am sort of stuck with pale gray. Besides, I am shifting subject. I have started a drawing for the baby room, with lots of blue in it and teddy bears and the baby's first shoes! :D

ponting
07-26-2005, 08:22 AM
Melina, your technique is suburb and I wouldn't change a thing in that area. From the way you see colour to your style is so unique. The table cloth and the violin would be my favourite areas.

Because you have positioned the book right at the edge of the table you are going to have a problem with perspective on this one and explaining why will be almost as dificult as seeing why it offends the viewer's senses.

The problem begins in the tiny little bit of angle that one can see at the corner as it heads away from us. There isn't enough of it to safely set in my mind that it is correct leaving me with the sensation that the table is on a differnt plane than the book. It is as if the book were propped up at the back for easy reading. To put the senses at ease you would have to widen the table and run it up along the book or shorten it definately make the angle less acute.

A picture is worth a thousand words so this is what I mean.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/26-Jul-2005/34523-violin-4.jpg

Cheers, Dianna

MelG
07-26-2005, 09:33 AM
Hi Dianna,
I did put a little something under the book to lift it a bit so it wouldn't look entirely flat in the drawing :D But I never thought of that little corner. My main problem was that the objects were too big, or the table too small for the objects. That is why I decided to leave the right edge of the table, blurry and undefined. Otherwise it would look kind of all squashed together. Truth of the matter is, I was too late in realizing that I'd ought to have left more space on the left side.. even if there really wasn't any.
But we draw and learn! And, thankfully, Artists like you take the time to help artists like me :) I will be much more carefull arranging my subject next time, that's for sure! ;)
Mel.

Lynn Quinn
07-26-2005, 10:32 AM
Melina,
I am new to pastel & to this forum. I think this is absolutely gorgeous, especially the violin. Beautiful!

Kathryn Wilson
07-26-2005, 10:45 AM
Lovely, lovely work! Your mom will just love this piece.

MelG
07-26-2005, 10:47 AM
Thank you Lynn! And Warm Welcomings to the pastel world! I think you will find it exciting. I am relatively new at pastels too and I must say that seeing the possibilities one has with them, it makes me all the more thrilled :)
Melina.

Artistammy
07-26-2005, 12:23 PM
Very well done!
Tammy

CindyW
07-26-2005, 12:34 PM
Melina, you should know that this piece is beautifully rendered as is and doesn't need photorealistic rendering!! Your style with this is just wonderful. The violin and tablecloth are superb.
Cindy

Dark_Shades
07-26-2005, 12:54 PM
Another Beauty Mel ...... again wonderful Soft Focus Realisim

am glad Dianna mentioned about the edge - as you have said, we are learning all the time as we progess - well done

not that this needs it, but for sharper edges if you use harder pastels, can always use their edge - perhaps something like Nupastels

Trilby
07-26-2005, 02:26 PM
One word. Gorgeous.
TJ

*Marina*
07-26-2005, 02:30 PM
Beautiful. Your mum will love it.

Marina

Paula Ford
07-26-2005, 08:52 PM
This is PERFECT!!! Just beautiful and moody!! Your mom is gonna love it....if she doesn't, you could send it to me:D

Sometimes I use pencils, but not very often. Mostly just to sign my name.

ponting
07-26-2005, 10:25 PM
Melina I will be watching for new work from you. Thank you so much for sharing this one with us.

Cheers, Dianna :wave:

SweetBabyJ
07-26-2005, 11:40 PM
It's a magnificent work, Melina- congratulations.

As for set-ups and space, I use an extra "leaf" from a dining room table- I can place this across two chairs, on a footstool, on the edge of another table to extend it out and over, on the ground... pretty much anywhere. I can prop backing or drapery behind it, cover it with another colour (using, say, a sheet of matting board) drape it in fabric, lay a piece of glass or plexi on top for reflections, or oil it to get a nice wood gleam. It works really well- perhaps you can find something like it to work with- you have such a wonderful sense of colour and light.

the drover's dog
07-27-2005, 08:51 AM
Just the love the atmosphere of this. So soothing.

Have to confess that I hadn't noticed that the book was too close to the table edge until it was pointed out. What a blessing this forum is. We can always glean so much from the expert's comments. Sort of art classes in a box.

Dale

Doris Baggett
07-28-2005, 02:42 AM
How beautiful. I've played the violin far longer than I've attempted pastels and this makes me want to clean the dust from my hands and pick up the instrument. The dog is far happier with the pastels than the violin, I'm afraid, so he usually wins. Nobody likes a sour critic!
This is really grand.
Dottie

MelG
07-28-2005, 08:12 AM
Kat, Tammy, Cindy, Tj, Marina, Paula, thank you! I am glad you all liked it! :)

Dark Shades, thanks :) I didn't know my style had a name! "Soft Focus Realisim"! Maybe I ought to give Nupastels a try sometime too.

Dianna, I'm honoured! I think you will have fun with the next one ;)

SweetBabyJ, you just gave me an idea! I have a big board sitting in the veranda, which I could very well use as a "table". You will laugh if you knew what I use now.. My husband has these huge speakers from his sound system.. I pushed them together, put a cloth over them and voila, the violin! :D

Dale, I so agree with you. This forum and its members are trully a blessing.

Doris, I dont play the violin, but it is my favourite instrument. If I had the opportunity to learn a musical instrument, it would be the violin. I think it would be a pitty to let it dissapear in dust!
Melina.

Merethe T
07-28-2005, 09:41 PM
Beautiful work! Love the softness of it, excellent colors and very atmospheric!

RUNEMASTER
07-28-2005, 11:14 PM
Ill pay one thousand dollars right now!

Well if i had it.This is great work I absolutely find it masterfull.Sweet is a better word.

Just wonder how you did the strings,the details?Did you use pencil?

MelG
07-29-2005, 03:41 AM
Thank you Cravia :)
Runemaster, ah, you made my day!! I've been thinking that maybe, just MAYBE, I could make a living out of my favourite hobby. But the uncertainty and insecurity of this artist makes me hold the thought for a while. A LONG while, in fact! :D
I dont use pencil at all, just chunks of pastel. If I need to make a fine line, I break the pastel and use its sharp edge. :) I don't do that very often though, that's why I complained on a previous post about my undefined, blurry outlines of the painted objects!

Nitsa
07-29-2005, 06:55 AM
This is masterful, fabulous work...Stop hesitating and start selling! :clap:

RUNEMASTER
07-29-2005, 07:03 AM
Photorealism is for photographers.Its the imperfection of painting that is where its loveliness lies.Id like to sell some of my cheesy paintings too.Ive seen people on ebay selling their cheesy paintings.Why not I think it depends on the work.Maybe somebody out there will pay.Id pay for it.

I wonder how you would sell?Ebay?