PDA

View Full Version : waterlillies (WIP)

chaz
07-25-2005, 05:06 PM
This painting is based on the D&S weekly drawing thread for July 18 - 24. The reference image is a Photograph by Joe maury. The painting is on 15 x 20 Canson Montvale cold press paper. The paints are Blick artist acrylics. The paper was not Gessoed, and only water was used as a medium. The paints were used as if they were watercolors. no white or black was used up to this point. Many many layers were used and more to go. The darks were FUB and burnt umber and sap green and chrome green and burnt umber.

My main problem now is make the lilly pads not look as if they were pasted on. and must still darken the blues and violets. and add the stamens Etc. This is my fifth acrylic painting, and the third using acrylics like watercolor. Maybe some day, I'll learn how

C & C welcome and encouraged

Chuck

jan409
07-25-2005, 05:28 PM
Chuck: your waterlillies are wonderful. The color pops. And the bee sets it off. You out did yourself here. Do more. Jan

chaz
07-25-2005, 05:40 PM
Thanks Jan. But i must point out that the bee is in the reference. I wasn't brave enough to try and put the bee in my painting.LOL

Wayne Gaudon
07-25-2005, 05:48 PM
I've never understood layers. I did try it once but got to tired of wating. LOL It's coming along nicely. Don't look at it as bee, it's just a patch of color (s). As long as you come close it will still be a bee. :D

3chaway9
07-25-2005, 05:49 PM
Looking good Chuck....a lovely ref.

Anita Murphy
07-25-2005, 06:11 PM
Chuck - doing a great job with this. Drawing it in b&w was extremely hard and it did seem to lend itself more to colour. I think you are definitely learning how to handle the paint.

Lady Carol
07-25-2005, 07:22 PM
This is looking great so far. I have full confidence in you that you can add the bee.

chaz
07-25-2005, 07:59 PM
Thanks everyone, Jan, caroline, Wayne, Anita, for the kind words. I really appreciate them. Ok, I'll add the bee. And wayne, in my case layers are just an excuse for not being able to decide on one color or an other. It.s that's the color, no that's this color, no --- and so on.

Chuck

3chaway9
07-25-2005, 08:22 PM
Hi Chuck....can i ask...is there a bigger version of the little lady with the hat...in the forums (at the foot of your signature) it's always catching my eye.

krystakaye
07-25-2005, 10:36 PM
Chuck, FABULOUS! (Don't you just love Maury's reference photos...he has some lovely pictures!) Great Job on this....can't wait to see the final!!! Krysta

chaz
07-25-2005, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the kind words Krysta, I really appreciate them.

Caroline, the "Little lady" is a digital sketch Imade from an exercise in a book on color pencil by Jose Parramon. I had drawn her several times in CP, but I don't have any I can find. I have two copies of the digital, the largest is 700x 800 pixels about. the other is about 500 x 500.

Actually I suppose I should remove that image from my signature. I don't know the copywrite rules for exercises like this.

3chaway9
07-26-2005, 06:12 AM
Chuck,
well i don't know anything about 'rights' but when you think about it...
when you get a book about learning with examples to follow with methods used by an artist you would think you could use it as it is now your own work
i know what you mean though...as i have done loads of stuff from books..
and wouldn't call it my own.

chaz
07-30-2005, 05:29 PM
Well, I finished with this. I'm like it, and I don't.

C & C welcome

Chuck

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2005/55994-Warwelillieswcl.jpg

Leslie Pz
07-30-2005, 06:13 PM
Love the blue. My eye is drawn to the center, to see it.
-Les

Wayne Gaudon
07-30-2005, 06:50 PM
not a bad rendering when working from a photo as photos really mess you up if you try to copy them exact as they are limited to begin with. Here is your tip of the day. You have a blue flower and like all things, as it recedes it loses color and detail. As an artist we have to sometimes really go out of our way to make sure this happens. On canvas we deal with inches but in reality the space is more. Anyway, back to the blue flower. To make blue regress we just need to add some black or orange or both and some white. We now have a leser value and the blue loses some of it's intensity. So if you paint the back of the flower less intense than the front you give it depth and on canvas, that is what we are after. That feeling of 3D. There is so much to remember but if you learn one little trick at a time, your mind will add them as you paint and in time you paint without thinking about them because they become part of your nature.
If we lessend the intensity from the front of the flower to the back, then think how much more space you would open up by making the back flower less intense than the front flower. :D Believe me, I don't have all this information down pat but I read it and I read it and I see it and I believe it because when I look at a real good painting, it is there to see.

3chaway9
07-30-2005, 09:39 PM
I Like it Chuck......

krystakaye
07-31-2005, 05:11 AM
Chaz, great job! Glad you added the little bee! He adds some extra character! The flowers do POP! Way to go!

Dewi
07-31-2005, 07:17 AM
Hi Chuck for me it's a good painting, but Wayne has been helping me a lot.
Can I add here for Wayne hope you don't mind thanks.
Wayne Hi, could you post what you said to Chuck on "Got any tips", thank you.