PDA

View Full Version : WIP tub

Patrick Arena
07-25-2005, 04:16 AM
Worked on this most of this afternoon...I'd like to clean up and work out the lowest 1/4 tomorrow (like the exterior tub wall and the right hand corner). Any comments or critique is welcome. Thanks-
Patrick

(edit - it's 18 x 24)

jan409
07-25-2005, 07:25 AM
Looks good, looking forward to see the completed painting. Jan

3chaway9
07-25-2005, 08:28 AM
Hi Patrick,
yes very good painting.....you got the chrome spot on....and the water super....

2bhappy
07-25-2005, 10:46 AM
Nice brushwork! Hope to see more. :clap: Blair

tremblad
07-25-2005, 01:23 PM
Hello Patrick,

I like the colors and the brushstroke of your painting. Good work! I might well be wrong (just beginner!), but maybe there is a small issue regarding the perspective lines.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jul-2005/45252-MWSnap112_2005-07-25-12_15_00.jpg

The perspective is very accurate all the way (blue lines) but I see the back of the tub slightly off perspective, shown here by the yellow line. Maybe the two points I've chosen on the tub to draw my yellow line are not correct.

Just an observation. And, as I said, maybe I'm wrong!

Lady Carol
07-25-2005, 06:56 PM
It is missing one thing.....a rubber duckie :D
Nice otherwise.

Radical Eel
07-25-2005, 07:23 PM
Hmm...about the perspective, I think it looks ok because the inside of a tub is supposed to be curved.
Anyway, you did a great job making the water look so clear and watery, and the detail on the faucet is beautiful.

Patrick Arena
07-25-2005, 08:05 PM
Hello Patrick,
...but I see the back of the tub slightly off perspective, shown here by the yellow line. Maybe the two points I've chosen on the tub to draw my yellow line are not correct.

Yeah, that curve is very hard to portray and render correctly. It makes it appear to be off kilter from everything else, but nearly half of the curve is obstructed by the tub wall. With that said, your lines drawn are actually a big help - I may try to see if I can rectify that using a similar approach. Thank you. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/images/icons/icon14.gif

Also, thanks to everyone else for the comments. :cool:

carld
07-25-2005, 09:19 PM
Patrick,

Tubs may be like boats. You almost have to feel the curves to get them right.

This painting is very well done and an original treatment of something not often painted. Shadows and water are quite convincing.

Did you use a red underpainting or put in the red areas later? It is quite effective.

I like this painting.

Carl

Leslie Pz
07-25-2005, 10:37 PM
Very interesting subject! Love the treatment of the chrome.
-Les

Patrick Arena
07-25-2005, 11:08 PM
On the perspective: I went back and looked at it again and to my eye the end of the tub is very close, much better than I had originally thought. Maybe not spot on, but I can live with it. Looks good from my house! :cool:

As it happens, Carl, I actually did feel the curve of the tub to try to understand how to present it. And I thought I was nuts! :D As well, I did in fact use cad red in the underpainting (along with cobalt blue and hooker's green), but some red was also brought back in later. I really liked doing some of the areas with blatant complimentary colors; almost like a Wayne Thiebaud thing going on (the the paintwork isn't anywhere nearly as heavy, though).

Dhuot
07-25-2005, 11:12 PM
Very cool :)
I like.
Just be careful not to over do it, because I think (well, for me) that it's almost there....
:)
Great use of the medium.
Contemporary "everyday" scene I like

Bravo

Aye! Daniel de Québec !!
Moi, je suis Daniel de Montréal :)
Salut ! :)

Patrick Arena
08-03-2005, 04:05 PM
Hi, sorry to raise this thread from the dead, but I had forgotten to post the finished product as some folks had asked. Well, here it is. I'm pretty happy with it.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/03-Aug-2005/54629-Tub.jpg

3chaway9
08-03-2005, 04:20 PM
Great work Patrick....worth a second look.