PDA

View Full Version : "The Shepardess"

scandia3815
07-24-2005, 07:58 PM
"The Shepardess" after Anders Zorn (1908) 24" x 32"

Awhile back I copied another Zorn painting and decided last month that a master copy might be a good distraction from the graphite value studies I had been working on. Little did I know this project would eat hour after hour after hour. I've always loved and admired Zorn's edgework, so I decided edges would be my focus for this project.

Standard bad photo disclaimer: I found this painting very difficult to photograph (way to shiny), but it is not to far off. Just wish the background could be darker as it should be, without making the rest of the painting very hard to see.

http://scandia3815.home.att.net/images/shepardess_final.jpg

A close-up of the young girl's head:

http://scandia3815.home.att.net/images/shepardess_final_d1.jpg

A close-up of some of my Zorn inspired edgework:

http://scandia3815.home.att.net/images/shepardess_final_d2.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Aaron.

Bertoni
07-24-2005, 08:18 PM
Aaron:
Nice work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Zorn is smiling!!!:)

3chaway9
07-24-2005, 08:20 PM
Well Aaron,
what can i say? wonderful...truly wonderful....worth all your hard work.

jan409
07-24-2005, 09:40 PM
Aaron: I love it, the colors are wonderful. The atomsphere is so mysitical. You have captured it well. Jan

krystakaye
07-25-2005, 03:52 AM
I love it! VERY well done! The colors are wonderful! Krysta

D.G.K.King
07-25-2005, 06:46 AM
Hi Aaron
Excellent picture, I like everything about it.

scandia3815
07-25-2005, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the comments! :)

I really struggled with this painting every step of the way. Zorn's brushwork is so wonderfully loose and fluid, and the majority of his painting was a landscape. These factors made it quite hard to capture the details in a way that was faithful to the original. But I soldiered through the process and was able to complete the painting. I'm not crazy about the larger tree on the right, but I was quiet happy with how the girl's head turned out.

I copied another Zorn two summers ago ("Woman Dressing"). I think between the two, I favor "Woman Dressing" as a more dynamic and complete painting. That painting can be found in this WC thread: http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116364

Lulu
07-25-2005, 04:39 PM
I commented on this earlier but my post got lost in cyberspace, so I will say again - Beautiful work!
"Woman Dressing" is too!

chaz
07-25-2005, 05:22 PM
Wonderful work. The colors are outstanding. Good going

scandia3815
07-26-2005, 12:22 PM
Lulu, Chaz: Thanks for the feedback :)

Now comes the interesting part... I used a white charcoal pencil to do a little work in the girl's eye, and naturally it will rub right off if I touch it. Has anyone ever used fixative on an acrylic painting? I was planning to spray a little fixative on just that area, then seal the painting with an isolation coat, then use Golden spray varnish. Its a process that has worked well for me in the past (sans the fixative of course). Any thoughts?

Aaron.

bjcpaints
07-26-2005, 03:16 PM
This is so beautiful. Why don't you go over the white charcoal on the eye with a tiny brush and white acrylic?

King Rundzap
07-26-2005, 03:27 PM
Lulu, Chaz: Thanks for the feedback :)

Now comes the interesting part... I used a white charcoal pencil to do a little work in the girl's eye, and naturally it will rub right off if I touch it. Has anyone ever used fixative on an acrylic painting? I was planning to spray a little fixative on just that area, then seal the painting with an isolation coat, then use Golden spray varnish. Its a process that has worked well for me in the past (sans the fixative of course). Any thoughts?

Aaron.

As someone else mentioned, you could just paint over it with acrylic. But, you can also use fixative without any problem. I've done a lot of weird mixed media stuff and I've sprayed pencil/charcoal/chalk fixative on a painting with acrylic very soon after painting the acrylic without any problems. You can even spray that on oil paint, watercolor and many other things without a problem. The only thing I've experienced that changed a lot with the pencil/charcoal/chalk fixative is oil pastel, which will clump, but that can be a cool effect, too. I don't know what it is about the oil pastel that reacts differently than oil paint or oil bar, but it does.