PDA

View Full Version : Lemmons

colours_man
07-24-2005, 11:21 AM
Hi,
I have been working on this. I was wondering what people thought. I seem to be having problems with the lemmons, I make them dark, then think they should be lighter, then I lighten them and think they should be darker. Its difficult getting more of less neutral darks that still suggest the yellowness of them.
The whole thing could do with tidying up as well.

C and C please :)

3chaway9
07-24-2005, 11:45 AM
Hi Nick,
i love this image....and the branches are well done...i think the bottoms of the lemons are a bit on the dark side...maybe some of the more experienced painters could help suggest what you could use.

colours_man
07-24-2005, 02:17 PM
Oops sorry, cant even spell lemons!
:)

tremblad
07-25-2005, 01:58 PM
Hi Nick,

I like your painting very much. It really catch my attention. The brushstroke is great.

Now, from a novice point of view, here are a few comments (experienced painters might not agree with me). Feel free to ignore them!

I will number the lemons from top to bottom (one being the top to 5 being the right-most one). Light seems to come from the top right (an early afternoon sun). Maybe we should see more light on the right side of lemon #2 and less light on the left side of lemon #3? I also wonder how lemons #3 and #5 are attached to the tree (but maybe it is not that important).

Anyway, I like what you did very much.

Wayne Gaudon
07-25-2005, 02:40 PM
Nick, this has to be one of the more interesting compositions I have seen in a bit. I love it. Wish it were mine. LOL
In my opinion, your biggest problem is your coloring. You don't have any dominant color as you seem to have equal bits of yellow/blue/green/red.
I would use:
Dominant Purple/Blue Scheme
Discords of Red & Green (very little)
Yellow Compliment of Opposition
Then within that scheme you need to make your lemons have shape as they are flat in appearance and the shadow colors you are using are not convincing as shadows.
Do this piece 10 times if you have to but do it till you make it talk because you have a gem on your hands, it's just in the rought at this moment.

chaz
07-25-2005, 05:18 PM
I agree with the comments about the light on lemons 2 and 3.
As for hte comments by Wayne, All I can say is he's the man. He knows more than I do. Listen closely to him. He paints one a day.

Chuck

colours_man
07-26-2005, 06:09 AM
Thanks for you comments on my lemons. I am encouraged that people like the idea.
Actually I took the photo in Greece in June, fairly early in the morning, but the sun was still pretty high and very strong. I saw these lemons every morning and thought them lovely as its not a common sight in the UK :)
The contrast in the photo is very great between the illuminated and shaded sides on the lemons, but rendeing the shadows seems the most difficult aspect.
Thanks Wayne for your comments, I must admit I have never thought in those terms so this is a good opotunity to learn. You are right that I need to get shape into them as well.
I have now made the sky lighter and more purple and lightened the shading on the lemons, but thay are still not quite how I like them.
As I am away from home I cannot do any more until the weekend :(

colours_man
07-30-2005, 02:43 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/30-Jul-2005/43442-lemons.jpg

Hi All,
I have revised the lemons, gone for more of an orangey shadow.
All C & C ??

Wayne Gaudon
07-30-2005, 09:02 PM
Is it possible to be in love with a tree .. dang I love that composition .. that upward spiral .. this is very much improved .. still would like to see you push yourself a little more and get more of a round shape to those lemons .. don't dare practice on them in this painting .. work it out on scap before you touch this .. it really is coming along beautifully and will be a great painting .. it's already good but go for it and make it great. :clap: :clap:

krystakaye
07-31-2005, 05:20 AM
I like this, Nick! Way to go!!! Wayne is right, the composition is lovely!