PDA

View Full Version : Korean Cherries-a different approach

ponting
07-23-2005, 10:08 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jul-2005/34523-Korean-Cherries-2.jpg

Title: Korean Cherries
Medium: Pastel on Arches hot press print.

Well although I have been popped in and out of WC from the various locations that I find myself in the past 6 months, I have be very negligent in posting anything new .... so here we go.

Something a little different for me so it was fun and I hope you enjoy it also.

Cheers, Dianna

tURBOCAT
07-23-2005, 10:23 PM
Diana - this is stunning and simple in it's beauty. WOW. Now tell me, did you also draw the newspaper? We need a close up!!!

Johnnie

Kathryn Wilson
07-23-2005, 11:10 PM
You are an amazing artist - I am sitting here shaking my head knowing that you did that newspaper, but puzzled as to how.

How big is this ???

PAKI
07-24-2005, 12:07 AM
I am still in awe of your work. It is nothing short of excellent.

CindyW
07-24-2005, 12:28 AM
Dianna, what a beautiful setup! The colors are striking together and your photorealism is flawless. Did you visit Korea?
Cindy

Kathryn Day
07-24-2005, 01:15 AM
wow, Striking!! The paper is even wet-looking under the lone cherry. Can't wait for your workshop in September!!!!

ponting
07-24-2005, 01:35 AM
Come on guys, thanks for your faith in me but quit giving me credit where credit isn't due :) This is why I called it a different approach. If you look under the picture, it says it was done on a hot press print.

The first one that I did was pastelled right onto newsprint which I had drymounted onto foamcore. I simply used gesso to whiten the areas I wanted to apply pastel and then added Golden's pastel ground over top. It was more of a practice piece for another idea that I had but we won't get into that.

I got a little concerned about the yellowing of the newsprint. A little yellow was okay but this was supposed to be fresh newsprint that I was using to set the cherries on while they were draining so very yellowed paper didn't really figure into the story all that well. You know it kind of conjures up images of mice droppings in old newspaper...yuk!! :eek: So I thought that if I photographed the newspaper and then printed it on good paper I could solve the yellowing problem. Well if I was going that far, I might as well crumple the paper to give it some texture.

I had thought about the shadows and wet area and how I would handle them and still have the print show through. I used various watered down inks and watercolours but they wanted to seep and when I used pastel it wanted to smudge the newsprint so I went one step further and actually photographed the cherries on the paper. So the shadows are part of the print. Sorry if I have disappointed you guys but I did say this was a different approach. :o

I then went into Photoshop and took out the bowl and single cherry so that when I printed it on the hot press paper, I only had white paper in those areas to work with.

It was a quick painting once the groundwork was done and a lot of fun.....and colourfast. I am still undecided if it should be labled a mixed media painting.

So there you go.......cheers, Dianna :cat:

Dark_Shades
07-24-2005, 02:52 AM
Dianna you know how much I LOVE your work - and still hoping you are coming here in 2006 (as thats NOT that far away now)
Gorgeous work as always .......
am a little confused, did I follow this right - you printed the newspaper out onto your paper, leaving out the area of the cherries and bowl and worked that in Pastels?
What ever the process, resulted in stunning work - ingenious
Keep scrolling back to the picture....... Jaw Dropping

Trilby
07-24-2005, 02:56 AM
What a fascinating approach! It's quite inventive. Your realism is still there in those gorgeous cherries and the reflections and shadows within the bowl. Yes, I imagine this has to be classed as a mixed media: photo, print and pastel. Whatever it is classed as, it is beautiful.
TJ

ponting
07-24-2005, 10:51 AM
Thanks again

Now that I have a few minutes I can answer some questions. I will start from the bottom up.

Thank you TJ ….. Yes, I would think that the one I painted directly on to newspaper could be considered purely pastel …much like a vignette only the paper isn’t white. The extra steps in here would make it mixed medium.

Hi Dawn ….You’ve gotten the process right! Yes, my teaching tour is still on, I am working on Ireland right now. Hopefully I will have something for you to see soon.

Kathy….well there you go … now I can put a face to the Kathy with a daughter named Dixie whom I hope to see in a couple of months!! I do wish everyone would put their mug shots up for us to see. It makes the conversation seem much more real. Like Cindy and Kyle…and that might even be Jerry’s face but it is a little too far away to tell …hi you three and thanks for the comments. ( No Cindy, I only have Korean friends who supply me with paper). Of course I am about 80 pounds heavier than in that picture and you wouldn’t recognize me except maybe for the hair but hey…..If I want to remain young and beautiful forever most of you will be none the wiser. Right? At least I don’t look like a headlight :D good to see you are still here Johnnie and going like a house on fire!

And the picture is 8 x 10 Kyle …which isn’t as important now that you know I didn’t actually ruin my eyesight producing all that tiny text. :D

Cheers, Dianna :wave:

Dark_Shades
07-24-2005, 10:58 AM
Thanks again

Hi Dawn ….You’ve gotten the process right! Yes, my teaching tour is still on, I am working on Ireland right now. Hopefully I will have something for you to see soon.

Whoopee Doo :D :wave:

Thats Pretty Darn Clever :clap:

tURBOCAT
07-24-2005, 02:01 PM
Fantastic technique!!! Opens entire new possibilities, no?

What process for printing on the hot press, so that it is colorfast?

Love it love it love it

Kathryn Wilson
07-24-2005, 02:30 PM
I was in such despair when I saw all the newsprint and I thought you had done it in pastel, that I thought of throwing up my hands and saying "I will never achieve that!!" - but then again, our styles are so very different.

But huzzah when you said you had done this in a mixed media process - such imagination and certainly within our grasp, eh guys??

ponting
07-24-2005, 03:27 PM
I was in such despair when I saw all the newsprint and I thought you had done it in pastel, that I thought of throwing up my hands and saying "I will never achieve that!!"

And so would I have done the same thing. :D

You know if one wanted to go that route I thing the perfect combination would be coloured pencils for the newsprint and pastel for the rest. But then I guess a pure pencil artist would just go pencil for the whole nine yards.

Johnnie. I have a Canon printer that uses Lyson fotonic archival inks. I hope I live long enough to see whether or not their advertising is true.....60 years without noticible fading under normal indoor use. :p Let's see that would only make me about 118.... :eek: You never know

Cheers, Diannna

SweetBabyJ
07-24-2005, 04:13 PM
I'm not going to say I'm jealous- honest. :D But, given the subject in the other thread, I'll tell you I'm a bit green about the gills. This is magnificent, Dianna- the bowl and cherries just shine, and the idea of printing the newspaper with all its crinkles and bevels as a foil was truly inspired. Well done!

O'Aieghlans
07-24-2005, 05:04 PM
Brilliant technical solution to the problem at hand. I'd comment that newspaper -- or any paper -- can be stabilized by applying an anti-acid treatment. Sprays exist which when applied can halt degradation of paper by acid. What is your inspiration for a piece of this nature?

chewie
07-24-2005, 05:17 PM
i bet when you were little, your mother said repeatedly "that girl has SUCH an imagination!" wow, this is really cool. (i am rather aging my self with that term, aint' i? LOL) love it.

ponting
07-24-2005, 06:20 PM
Thank you Chewie - I don't know about when I was a kid but 'nowadays' my work is most likey to be commented on for its lack of imagination. People tend to do that the artists who paint from photographs. So thanks for thinking I am 'cool' :p

Dan -what wonderful information as I have a couple of other projects that I might want to use just such a product. Any ideas where to find it or perhaps a brand name?
One juch project will be my musical pears...you can guess where that is going. That is really the start and the cherry and newsprint experiment came as a trial for the 'real' thing.

Ms Julie you are too clever by half today and far too sassy. Get back to work!! :D But thanks for the comment. :)

Cheers, Dianna

Terry
07-24-2005, 08:40 PM
Diana,
Excellant! My my, your very good with those sticks, and creative in thier use also.
Terry

ponting
07-25-2005, 01:43 AM
Well, well Terry good to see you here. Do you think imy success might have anything to do with the wonderful quality of my Terry Ludwig pastels. I truly love these reds......speaking of which......!!! :confused:

Truly...these are great pastels.

Cheers, Dianna

O'Aieghlans
07-25-2005, 10:40 AM
Anti-acid treatments for such things are all the rage now that scrapbooking has become a craze.

Look here (among many places) for "archival mist" which will help you out, I'm sure.

Archival Mist distributed by EK Success Ltd

http://www.createforless.com

Let me add that our own Mr. Dick Blick has the Krylon version, more cost-effective:

Krylon Make it Acid-Free Spray
Protect artwork, memory books, craft projects, newspaper clippings, and important documents with this remarkable new spray that's as valuable at home as it is in the studio.

One application instantly neutralizes acid by raising the paper's pH level, preventing brittleness and deterioration.

Tich
07-25-2005, 11:09 AM
Diana I am always impressed by what you do but I am most impressed by the detail that you get in small areas. I go back all the time to the picnic post just to drool. Can I please see a closer view of the cherries? I promise not to get them wet.

Tich

Bejay
07-25-2005, 11:57 AM
That is so clever, I'm not a one for words but I like the way you have done this.

ponting
07-25-2005, 01:26 PM
Thanks so much Dan for the lead. The scrapbook places would seem the perfect place further the quest. It certainly would not take long to run a test on newsprint as it yellows so very quickly. One might not be able to ascertain if it would work in the long term but you could certainly tell if it wouldn't. I shall endeavor to hunt some down the next time I am out. :clap:

Tich I would be more that happy to oblige you though the drool would not be so devastating on this one as it isn’t on my usual La Carte. :D

Bejay – thanks so much for popping in, it is great to hear from new minds and compliments are always well received. :wave:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jul-2005/34523-Korean-Cherries-bowl.jpg

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/25-Jul-2005/34523-close-korean-cherries.jpg

Cheers and many thanks, Dianna

Mikki Petersen
07-25-2005, 01:31 PM
Have to admit my stomach rolled at the thought you painted that newsprint...but I'm equally impressed by the process you came up with and how well your painting fits into the print. This is beautiful!

Mikki

O'Aieghlans
07-25-2005, 02:14 PM
Do you use a magnifying glass when you paint a pastel?

Derek Jones
07-25-2005, 02:56 PM
brilliant to see such a superb pastel technique combined with a bit of digital thinking- I take my hat off to you ! Derek Jones

ponting
07-25-2005, 03:24 PM
Hello Mikki So glad to hear from you again. I feel like I have been away forever!!

Dan, no I don't.....I didn't know if you were joking or not so I decided to answer it :p ...though I certainly would be it think if I were doing the newsprint.

Derek, I have just recently seen your ballerina pastels and I drool over them so it is nice that we have a bit of mutual admiration here for the different techniques be both make use of. Thanks for the visit.

Cheers, Dianna

*Marina*
07-25-2005, 03:38 PM
Those cherries look yummy.

Marina

E-J
07-25-2005, 04:13 PM
This one reminds me of the joke "What's black, white and red all over?" :)

Dianna, this is brilliant - what an inventive approach. Not to mention that you have somehow managed to paint mouth-watering shadows! It is always a pleasure to see your work.

Merethe T
07-25-2005, 05:23 PM
I'm just amazed here, lovely, lovely work, and so creative! Thanks for the close ups too, I keep going back - I'm just amazed! Love the little waterdrops, and the reflections - just excellent!!! Thanks for sharing, your work is always so fascinating and inspiring!

Asterea
07-26-2005, 01:53 PM
Someone left lunch for us!! wow those cherries look good! I think I'll try one:)
Ack!! There not real??? You coulda fooled me!!

Absolutely stunning Diana!! How was your trip?Or trips as the case may be:)

Thank you for sharing this one!
Little mouse in the corner again:)

ponting
07-26-2005, 11:44 PM
Hello Mouse....how nice to see? you again :p :p I know your appetite.....stay away from my cherries!!

Thank you for asking, my trips were great all around ....some visiting combined with teaching and an opportunity to dust off my carpentry and mechanical skills and much family bonding. Not to mention the opportunity to experience a prairie winter for the first time since I was 18. Awesome time!!

Merethe, Emma-J and Marina Thank you for both stopping by and your kind words. I really enjoyed this piece. And E-J I want you to know your joke inspired yet another painting!! :cat: I hope you are not going to demand royalties.

Cheers, Dianna

E-J
07-27-2005, 10:41 AM
E-J I want you to know your joke inspired yet another painting!! :cat: I hope you are not going to demand royalties.

Nope, but I'm going to demand to see the painting! :)

Nicoclaus
07-27-2005, 02:04 PM
Wow! Just beautiful work and very interesting approach too;)

Meisie
07-27-2005, 02:05 PM
So nice to see you back! I've wondered when you would treat us to one of your beautiful pieces again!!

The execution of this is outside my vocabulary ;) and the concept is magnificent!!

Thank you for showing us!

Meisie

ponting
08-05-2005, 12:52 AM
If you are still reading this thread Dan. I wanted to tell you that I had a devil of a time but I finally tracked down some Archival Mist in Michaels. It was about half the size of a normal spray can and they wanted $59.00 CDN for it. I did the jaw drop :eek: and went away muttering.

They often have 40% off coupons and sometimes 50% off so I think I will hold off on that. With the discount it would probably come to the same price as I could get it somewhere else but it would be handy.

I see this company (but not Michaels) also has a product called Paper Bright just especially for keeping the paper white so thanks so much for putting me onto these. When I hit a sale I will let you know how well they work.

Meisie
08-05-2005, 01:58 AM
40% off coupon this weekend, valid till next Friday (6-12th Aug) Dianne ;)
I need printing ink...have been waiting for a coupon myself :)

Meisie

ponting
08-05-2005, 12:15 PM
What a hoot...you guys just work so hard for me.....thank you Meisie !!

Cheers, Dianna :clap:

Orchidacea
08-05-2005, 04:48 PM
I have to admit, when I saw that close-up of the cherries my eyes filled with tears...your work just amazes me. I was looking at your website yesterday and saw this painting there, but didn't understand the explanation--so I'm VERY glad to know that you didn't actually paint all that newsprint (not that you couldn't, but, well, there are LIMITS!).

I want to thank you for sharing so freely of your knowledge and skill. It helps beginners like me more than I can say.

ponting
08-05-2005, 05:38 PM
Thank you Kim I hope to inspire people but not necessarily to tears :p and thanks to for the visit to my site. I shall have to go now and see what I have down there under the painting. Perhaps a bit of an explanation would be better. And Yes!.... painting all of that writing would have taxed even my patience. :D

Cheers, Dianna :cat:

Orchidacea
08-05-2005, 05:46 PM
To be fair, Dianna, I'm having one of those emotional days :). But your work is really special.

ponting
08-05-2005, 06:24 PM
Well there you go Kim...go off and visit this thread. If you like children it may cheer you up. ;)
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241175&highlight=making+picnic

Tich
08-12-2005, 11:14 AM
You say that you have an idea for another of these. I hope you are going to post it also when it is done.
The simplicity of the composition in this is so great but then I see by your web site that you use this style often.

Tich

bnoonan
08-13-2005, 12:24 PM
Hurrah for detail!!! B

funkie
08-14-2005, 01:02 AM
I had to laugh out loud because I realized after a moment that I was actually salivating when looking at the closest closeup of the cherries. I kid you not.
Great to see something unique on the pastel forum.
Mags

ponting
08-14-2005, 12:21 PM
Hello Barb and Tich....I will endeavour to remember to treat it as a WIP and post it...thanks for stopping by.

Cheers, Di :wave:

ponting
08-23-2005, 04:44 PM
Mags, I will thank you to keep your drool off of my cherries! :D
Thanks also for stopping by.

Cheers, Di

RUNEMASTER
12-20-2005, 01:16 PM
Im a bit confused.Forgive me for that. its a great piece, but the cherries and bowl are pastelled on a newpaper right? I mean by newsprint is meant actual newspaper?

Great piece.

ponting
12-20-2005, 08:34 PM
Hi Runes....The answer to that is "yes" and "no". Yes, only the cherries and bowl are the only thing pastelled in but "no" it isn't actual newsprint anymore. I photographed the newsprint and printed it back onto watercolour paper to preserve the integrity of the paper colour. There is so much acid in newsprint that it would have turned yellow very quickly and spoiled the effect. The wrinkles were put in before photographing it.

Does that sound like it makes sense? If not ask away!

Have a great Christmas...Dianna :cat:

RUNEMASTER
12-21-2005, 07:24 AM
cOOL!

silverflagon
12-24-2005, 03:32 PM
Thank you for the explaination Dianna, but I still think you are amazing. It needs a true artist to work out the mode of creating it and not forgetting the original idea.:clap: :clap: :clap: