PDA

View Full Version : how to tarnish silver????

KrisMcAllister
07-23-2005, 07:18 PM
How are most of you who do silver work tarnishing your silver to get the pretty black in the crevases? I have used liver of sulfer but I am trying to get some work done this weekend and don't have any left. Does anyone know what I can use out of my house that I would have or does anyone know of something i could get in a home depot or another store locally to get this done???Please anyone who could help me I would appreciate it so much. Thanks in advance.
Kris

CatherineH
07-23-2005, 07:26 PM
I've never tried this, but have heard that you can put your piece of jewelry in a closed jar with a warm hard boiled egg and monitor it until it is the darkness that you desire. Just don't let the jewelry touch the egg. Maybe someone else can give you better details.

-Catherine

KrisMcAllister
07-23-2005, 07:30 PM
I've never tried this, but have heard that you can put your piece of jewelry in a closed jar with a warm hard boiled egg and monitor it until it is the darkness that you desire. Just don't let the jewelry touch the egg. Maybe someone else can give you better details.

-Catherine
He he he I'm peeing my pants. Hard boiled egg...lol I don't doubt this but one question. Peeled or unpeeled??? LOL...oh this made me laugh real hard for some reason. Thanks!!!!
Kris

Red*Dog*Designs
07-23-2005, 08:46 PM
I have heard about this one too, I suspect peeled and possible "smashed" a bit would hasten the process.

flameonglass
07-23-2005, 08:50 PM
Yes, this will work, it is the sulfer in the egg yolk that tarnishes the silver.

flameonglass
07-23-2005, 08:52 PM
If you have any stained glass stores in your town you can also check with them to see if they have any 'patinaing ' products that would work.

cghipp
07-23-2005, 09:01 PM
Drop it in some laundry bleach and it will tarnish very quickly! I had some liquid LOS from Rio and it didn't work at all. I bought some of the mix-you-own pellets but I haven't used them yet because the bleach works so well!

Courtney

SunSpot
07-24-2005, 12:58 PM
I read on a PMC thread that someone just saves her old egg shells, crushes them & puts them in a zip lock bag. I've used the black patina for stained glass. That works, but I think the finish is flat and dull. Haven't heard of the bleach method.
CindyR

CatherineH
07-24-2005, 04:26 PM
Sorry I'm late on this one -

Peeled and cut in half, I believe.

-Catherine

MegannsMom
07-24-2005, 04:46 PM
I use Black Max from Rio Grande. Dip a toothpick in it and trace the crevices that you want a patina in....works GREAT! Fast, easy, cheap, too! (although not as cheap as egg shells or bleach, LOL) I like it because you can patina just the areas you want...no need to patina the entire piece and then polish off the patina from areas you didn't want it on....
~Cindy

flameonglass
07-24-2005, 06:43 PM
Oh, I just remembered. Ammonia works too!

chica3366
07-27-2005, 10:13 PM
I'm really late on this one, but when using a boiled egg, it works best if the egg (yes you have to peel the shell off and cut the egg up) is warm. Ususally after the egg cools I'll pull the silver out, do a quick nuke in the micro and then start again. I use tupperware and shake the egg and silver to ensure the jewelry is covered. It's a must slower process but doesn't smell as bad as liver of sulfur. :p

Regards...

em-mee
07-28-2005, 02:09 AM
you can get liver of sulphur from your local pharmacy, too.

kelly

dogsrlove
07-28-2005, 12:13 PM
Drop it in some laundry bleach and it will tarnish very quickly! I had some liquid LOS from Rio and it didn't work at all. I bought some of the mix-you-own pellets but I haven't used them yet because the bleach works so well!

Courtney

Yes, household, cheapo bleach. Works very fast, and then you buff the dark areas with a cloth to bring up the patina.

Eazy!

Vanessa

TurtleBay Jewelry
08-09-2005, 11:43 PM
I'm a bit late on this, but I wanted to touch briefly on those suggesting the use of bleach as a patina solution for sterling silver.

As a working smith, I wouldn't recommend this method at all, as bleach will pit and eat away at your sterling. It's much better to use LoS, or the egg solution works well too, albeit quite a bit slower. I use the LoS liquid from Rio on all of my stuff. As long as you heat your piece (with a torch) and your liquid, it works immediately. Removing it from the LoS after certain periods of time, you can achieve quite an array of beautiful colors. I think I've also read recently that using pickling lime (used in pickling veggies, etc) which is also readily available at your local grocery, is favorable to patinas for silver.

Have fun!

~Danielle