PDA

View Full Version : Advise-Maui beach

danthorne
07-23-2005, 02:41 PM
Hello everyone:

I thought I would get some needed advise from you on my latest work. It's a beach in Maui on the road to Hana, painted from a picture I took on a trip there years ago. Please let me know your thoughts, critiques, and questions. Thank you.l

Wayne Gaudon
07-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Well Dan, where are you going with this? What's your final objective? As is, I find the colors are segrated and solo with no combination toward the whole. I don't see a point of focus. If you can explain what you are tying to do, then perhaps some of us can be a little more specific in solving a particular problem.

danthorne
07-23-2005, 03:10 PM
I'm building in the colors as they appear in the scene. When I tie in other colors to each object, it seems to turn more into mud, with so many colors that it makes it hard to see the object. So if there are more colors in the ocean that yellow with some red and white highlights, it feels more muddied. Any suggestions?

Wayne Gaudon
07-23-2005, 07:46 PM
the best way is to simplify. Find a middle value and color the sea with that color. With acrylics that will be dry in minuites. Then find your light and dark values and apply them to the appropriate areas. Just using the three values will give you a great beginning and you can either stay with it or add others. You can put different colors of the same value over a prelaid value and they will add color but will not change the value pattern on the painting.

danthorne
07-23-2005, 09:02 PM
Very cool suggestion, Wayne. I really enjoy changing up the colors, or "spinning the color wheel" as I put it, and sometimes it gets complicated. Thanks for simplifying it for me.
:wave:

jan409
07-23-2005, 09:22 PM
Please post this after you have done more work on it. I am very anxious to see it. It is very different. I get to points that I don't know where to go, and will end up gessoing over it or doing the wrong thing. But sometimes it comes out right. Or almost right. Jan

Marty C
07-23-2005, 09:29 PM
Hi Dan,
The great temptation when viewing a landscape, and even more so with a seascape, is to imagine there is a huge variety of colour before you. What is more true is that there is actually variety within hues rather than between hues. What there is is tonal variation, the diiferences in value and saturation of a hue. So for the ocean for instance, the main hue may be ultramarine blue for example. While the ocean before you may seem to have all sorts of blues, primarily they will be tonal variations of UM blue. So you will need several values of UM blue, and probably a few intensity levels, and that will give you all the nuances of the ocean. Waynes suggestion is a good one to get started.
Value is the most important element you should look at, but saturation or intensity is another. In most landscapes the colours, while they can appear quite vibrant, are actually much closer to neutrals or mid intensities than may first be apparent. So try to avoid saturated colour, stray more to a neutral tone and your landscapes will lean more to realism.
Contrast is good in a painting, but it's best to limit the contrast to a limited number of elements. I have already stated that the number of hues should be limited, and that saturation should also lean to neutral, so value should be the area where you want to push the contrasts, and it is here that your work will achieve the greatest drama and effect.

laudesan
07-23-2005, 11:25 PM
Are you wanting realism???

I shall pull up a chair and see where you go with this..:)