PDA

View Full Version : Another Happy Little Family

mame
01-05-2002, 11:59 PM
Acrylic on unstretched canvas

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/05-Jan-2002/another_happy_little_family.JPG

colorme
01-06-2002, 12:02 AM
i love ur little families, i like how they're all holding each other, they're all connected..very nice, i like your signature too. is that a yo-yo?

mame
01-06-2002, 10:07 AM
Tx MR colorme(private joke)

Sometimes it's a yoyo, sometimes an egg, sometimes a key...

Can you think of anything interesting. I'm stale, stale, stale, and welcome any ideas.

kelly
01-06-2002, 01:07 PM
I really like this one also but I would prefer to see it up close. Could you mail it to me?

domsanto
01-06-2002, 01:11 PM
:crying:

timelady
01-06-2002, 04:43 PM
Hows's this thought - I like her stickin' her finger in the other woman's ear! (btw, I see it as 2 women, dont' know why).

For what it's worth, I never imagined your pictures as "little happy families". They have a strange surface of happiness but I've always felt pressure, movement, pushing and pulling. Not quite happy, but not conflict - something inbetween that's more interesting. Something unspoken.

Also, I don't know if it's meant to be crooked in reality, but it adds that bit of tension. As if this little snug group is going to slip a bit.

Don't know about fresh ideas. I could use some too. I'm sick of bridges. (Luckily the fascination with them usually returns but I need little tangents.) Maybe you could paint some bridges and rivers and I could paint some little people? :confused:

Tina.

mame
01-06-2002, 04:56 PM
timelady -finger in the ear! Darn I wish I had thought of it. May I use it?

This work isn't titled so the title just came out here. Sarcasm. I speak to the human condition. Sometimes more befuddledly(a word?) than others.

Txs for looking.

dom deluxe - you're crying for joy and rodents I know. It's okay honey. We have to wash the thong once in a while. You can have it back as soon as it's dry.

Kelly - sent you a pic to your email address. Will try to send you a big res TIFF today. If not then tomorrow.

dnip24
01-06-2002, 06:13 PM
cute family picture!

timelady
01-07-2002, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by mame
timelady -finger in the ear! Darn I wish I had thought of it. May I use it?

Heck, you painted the finger there! I'm not sure i want to know what you're going to use it for though. ;) I see things weirdly.

Tina.

mame
01-07-2002, 05:45 PM
Nope, Tina. Either a bad slide or a miss on my part in notbetter shadowing the hand on the shoulder that is supposed to read BEHIND the ear.

You're right - in this image it DOES look like the finger is in the ear. May have to play with that some more..........

Sent you a message re some ideas for varnishing and I take the 5th amendment for misshaps!

AmyH
01-09-2002, 03:44 AM
enjoying.

like unstreched canvas. saw a Kerry James Marshal (right sp and order?) at the museum (yes I know I keep mentioning the museum, but I go so rarley, and I love it madly) that was on unstreched canvas. Am always relieved to see all this no no bs really doesnt fly re artmaking.

amy

artlover
01-09-2002, 10:05 AM
Oh yeah-I like this one alot. I can relate to this grouping of people because they remind of the (many) uncomfortable family gatherings I've been to...

I saw the finger of the figure on our right as not putting her finger in the other's ear, but as yanking the other person by the ear-and I see a look of surprise on the yanker's face(and in the position of her body) cuz' she got caught at it...

Is that an apple or an egg on the middle figure's head?

mame
01-09-2002, 06:05 PM
Amy - who was it who did the humongous unstretched canvases and put grommets or whatever you call them to hang with. Was that Richter?

Artlover - the "ball thing" started out being something else but I liked the ball perched on the head so I guess it's a ball-hat! Txs for asking.

Txs colorme. You always take time to take a look and comment. Thank you.

SanDL
01-09-2002, 06:10 PM
but doesn't Faith Ringold not stretch her stuff, she makes cloth borders and treats them like quilts.

mame
01-09-2002, 06:26 PM
Yes, SanDl - haven't looked at her work for a long time. Going to have to look her up.

I was thinking of work that is more "raw"- scraggly edges. I'll think of the artist eventually