PDA

View Full Version : Losing My Marbles

Leslie Pz
07-22-2005, 10:17 AM
Hi All!
Not quite finished with this piece. Seems the reflections need a bit more attention but thinking of taking a break for a day or two, for freshness.

Thanks for looking at the progress, so far!
-Les

Acrylic on 8x10 canvas

Anita Murphy
07-22-2005, 10:35 AM
Join the long list of people who have lost their marbles on this forum, myself included! :D

The light is wonderful, and the reflections very glasslike. Well done!

bjcpaints
07-22-2005, 10:45 AM
Looking good Leslie!

Leslie Pz
07-22-2005, 10:55 AM
THANKS, you two!

Hoping that I can make the reflections on the surface, a bit smoother. Too harsh, for "shadows", don't you think?

Fortunately, there's a lot going on, the next couple of days and will have a nice break from the project. With a fresh eye, I might see a better way to handle this....
-Les

texana6
07-22-2005, 11:46 AM
Strong composition. I wouldn't have moved any of those marbles a centimeter.

krystakaye
07-22-2005, 02:25 PM
I always love your work, the detail, the realistic quality, clean, crisp.....very nice!

Charlie's Mum
07-22-2005, 03:16 PM
If we could only find all our lost marbles, we could play a game or two!!!
I'm sure this will be great Leslie :D

Leslie Pz
07-22-2005, 05:13 PM
Texana, krystakaye and Maureen Thank you! I really appreciate your comments. It definitely is a challenging image. Hope when it's done, it was worth it and sells. :wink2:

Maureen I just read your PM and answered. Sorry it took so long -- I completely missed it, all this time (probably thought I was ignoring you! Yikes!)! Thank you!!!!!

Dhuot
07-23-2005, 01:08 AM
If you can make the blue marbles as outstanding as the red one, you'll have a very good realist painting
Good so far :)

I like marbles :)

laudesan
07-23-2005, 01:41 AM
Gosh this is good..:) I painted marbles in watercolours, and was thinking about acrylics..

Looks like fun.

Great learning exercise too I bet..

gnu
07-23-2005, 02:34 AM
boy I know how hard acrylic marbles are, I used my finger far more than my brush..
This is truly good..lovely rich red marble. the blue needs to be 'sat' down yet, although the reflection goes some way to doing this..but needs a little 'dark' under it to ground .

k9artisan
07-24-2005, 07:12 AM
Leslie,
Lovely work! I can't wait to see the finished work. You really have nailed the composition and reflected color. Great job!
Amber

Leslie Pz
07-24-2005, 09:35 AM
Hi everyone!
Wow, can't believe the comments, while I was away! Very helpful, too.

Managed to take the paints with me and being away from the computer/etc and concentrating on the paints, was nice (and I hope helpful)!

I have tried to take a decent photo of the finished piece, but either it turns out too grainy (eager to start, I didn't use a lot of gesso and the canvas bite is strong) or the reflected lights are washed out.

Oh well, excuses aside, here's the piece! Hope you all like how it turned out!

Thanks for looking and staying tuned for the finished piece.
-Les
http://www.lesliepease.com/images/uploads05/marbles-rev.jpg

laudesan
07-24-2005, 09:45 AM
Woweeeeeeeeeeee..

I see you have signed it, so I am thinking this must be the finished piece..

Love that shine on the marbles and the table..

Beautiful!!

Leslie Pz
07-24-2005, 09:56 AM
Well, JJ I wouldn't be against touching up, here and there -- if told the painting needed it. But yes, I think it's done. I'd like to list it on eBay and there, art doesn't sell for much so I'd like to not wrap too much time into the piece (otherwise, I will hesitate selling and goodness knows, I have enough of my work! LOL!)

Thanks for looking!
-Les

krystakaye
07-24-2005, 08:43 PM
Absolutely beautiful! Great job!

jan409
07-24-2005, 09:56 PM
I have been meaning to respond to your painting, and am glad I waited until you were finished. It is great, I love the colors. They look so real. It is wonderful. I envy you. Jan

Grasshopper
11-10-2005, 10:44 AM
I've just today discovered your work (yes, I live under a rock) and since I'm in love with what I've seen so far I am having a hard time critiquing it, but, I need to... On the left side of your painting just to the left of the red marble and below the blue one, with the redder reflections, the table top doesn't look flat like the mid-right side, which is perfect.

I wish you'd get more wordy with describing how you do your paintings and show more wips.

An aside: I went to your site, tried to sign the guestbook and after submitting it it told me there was an error; I tried to contact where it said to but it bounced back...

LOVE your stuff!

chaz
11-10-2005, 11:27 AM
Sweet! great color and swirls

Chuck

Dewi
11-10-2005, 11:53 AM
Very lovely shall we play?

joejoe
11-10-2005, 11:54 AM
Hi, and another going marbles trying to get to grips with acrylic and underpainting and background......it aint easy, but I love your work so far, keep up the spirit as it helps people like myself
john

tubby2legs
11-10-2005, 12:55 PM
i also love this Leslie. great job.

TxAggieDarlin
11-10-2005, 01:27 PM
It looks great to me..I love this. I did do marbles in digital...great fun and NO MESS..
This turned out really good and I know you enjoyed it

Jprice022
11-10-2005, 01:39 PM
Very well done Leslie....I've tried marbles in watercolor and found them difficult at best.

Thanks for the posts.

John

Leslie Pz
11-10-2005, 02:29 PM
Thank you all, for all your comments!

This was a fun and challenging painting. I learned a great deal from doing it. So many colors and so much highlight, (couldn't imagine even attempting this in watercolor, as John has!!!). Digital would be a fun try and agree with TxAggie about the mess!

The photo and many other GREAT marble reference images came from the library. What a wonderful resource, huh?!

Thank you again, I REALLY appreciate all the kind words.
-Les

Anita Murphy
11-10-2005, 04:47 PM
Les - super finish! Very very glassy!! I think I might have to revisit marbles soon!