PDA

View Full Version : Sasha... need help to finish

Vschafer
07-21-2005, 11:20 PM
GENERAL INFORMATION
Title: Sasha
Year Created: 2005
Medium: Mineral Overglaze Paints
Surface: Handmade Porcelain Leaf (that I made myself)
Dimension: Approx. 13 inches wide x 11 inches
Allow digital alterations?: Yes

MY COMMENTS
This is a painting I am doing of our doberman, Sasha, on a porcelain leaf I made.

Most people are not familiar with mineral overglaze paints. They are quite transluscent and are much like watercolors in that sense. I was having a great deal of difficulty developing the orange on the tips of the leaves and my last attempt brightened up things considerably - too much, I'm afraid. Unfortunately, it has also left a blunt transition of colors.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP
Sooooooo, I am hoping you can come up with some suggestions of how to pull this together. I have asked my china painting group but, they are not being very critical and I really do need some ideas on how to improve this. Some things I have thought about is kind of dabbling the orange edge in a more naturalistic pattern... brightening the yellow so the orange isn't such a contrast... the green seems a bit bright?... but, concerned if I go with a brown green it will blend with the dog too much.

My other concerns are... do I need to define the far front leg and foot more?... I know I need to increase the ground shadow of the dog but, should I go with a blue green or a brown green?

Anything else that you would like to add.

I have included several closeups so you can see the transition and composition of the colors.

Thank you so much,

Vickie

Mikey
07-22-2005, 08:28 AM
Hi Vickie, I have no experience with this medium, but certainly am impressed with what you are doing here. The mixture of opposing colours, whether by glazing, or on the palette must tend to dull things. It is going to be laborious to mix many more colours on the palette, but that would seem to be the only way. In fact I do like the effect of your glazes.

Mikey

laketrees
07-23-2005, 06:38 AM
Hi Vickie...lovely work...I think I would go with the blue/green shadow...and I think his front leg looks a touch unfinished compared to the other legs....but it depends on the markings of the dog...
:wave: ..kim

Vschafer
07-23-2005, 03:55 PM
Mikey - Thanks for your suggestions. I tried adding dulled colors to the painting - didn't work. With overglaze mineral paint, it is mixed with mineral oil which stays open indefinately. I looked at it for a day but, felt it really needed to retain the bright colors so, I wiped it off (can't do that with paper). I strengthened the yellow and painted over much of the green with the yellow to dim the green. It worked on top of the dog but, not around her right ear so, will do another layer this next fire. The orange is approaching some transitional smoothness but, it is still overly pronounced, especially on the top leaf segments. So, I will add more orange in the transitional areas.

Kim - Thanks for your suggestions. I added blue green to the shadow and like it very much. I agree with your suggestion to ramp up the realism of the front legs. I was using a bad photo and looking at Sasha in real life, I realize I could deepen the leg colors as they are too washed out as they are now.

I have added a photo of what the leaf looks like now after firing. One more fire and hopefully, I will have it.

Thanks for your help!

:)

Vickie

Mikey
07-23-2005, 04:14 PM
Vickie, I think this a superb piece of work, but alas I do know what it's like to be a perfectionist.

Mikey

Vschafer
07-24-2005, 01:11 AM
Mikey - LOL! Yes! I am a perfectionist - drive myself downright batty at times!

Well, here is the next fire - it intensified the colors and the transition is getting better between the orange and yellow. A very interesting thing happened with upping the color on the dog's legs... even though I didn't change any of the coloring elsewhere on the body... the body looks like I've lessened the color... strange.

The other thing I've noticed is the colors seem to blend together better - is that what you meant by "dulling" it - maybe you were meaning contrast, not necessarily color?

Sooooo, I'll have to look at it some more and think about it.

Suggestions gladly welcomed!

Vickie

Mikey
07-24-2005, 05:08 AM
Vickie,

The transitions are much better now. I thought you were saying you wanted the orange to be more intense, although in my opinion it right as it is. The one pigment showing through the other is beautiful. I like the way the Doberman seems to sit up in a three dimensional way. Apparently you know exactly what you are doing, but it is nice to talk about what we do and get encouragement along the way.

Mikey

laketrees
07-24-2005, 05:29 AM
Hi Vickie...this looks wonderful....a lovely burnished effect....
:wave: ..kim

Vschafer
07-24-2005, 01:26 PM
Mikey and Kim - thanks for your encouragement!

The mystery of the "blending" of the colors has been solved. When I took the picture last evening, the leaf was still warm so, the colors had not "settled". This morning it had cooled off completely and I am quite happy with it now. I am including a picture of it this morning.

I'm pretty happy with it now and I think I will just leave well enough alone.

Vickie

Mikey
07-24-2005, 01:34 PM
Well done Vickie, I hope we will see this on the Open Critques main forum.

Mikey