PDA

View Full Version : Weekly Brayer, July 21st-28th 2005

Printmakerguy
07-21-2005, 06:29 PM
Well, The brayers have been pretty quiet recently- Too quiet- But, I'll start one up anyway, Since I am online.

I am down to less than a week on the ship- Then it is VACATION TIME again :clap: I will be pretty busy, as usual, when I get off- Lots of art projects on my mine. I have been playing with watercolors a lot recently- attempting to 'break free' of the rigid, graphic, printmaking style that I have developed, and start working in a freer, more abstract, manner.... I also have several acrylic paintings planned, After completing my HUGE 4' x 5' self portrait (yeah, I know- Nothing says "I'm full of me" more than a HUGE picture of oneself on the wall- I wonder what freud would have to say??), I have been a little more bold with my acrylics (prior to this I had never done anything over 8 x 10)... I found that I like BIG, and want to play with it more.

I do have several blocks to print- One is for the BarrenForum exchange, the other is just a 'fun' one that I did one night when I was bored (it is of my Parrot, Miro....) Plus, I still have a backlog of unprinted blocks from LAST time I was home... And a few sculpture Ideas, and this, and that- WAY too much to do! Fortunatly, I have a month off to do them!

-Andrew

H2O_Baby
07-21-2005, 06:59 PM
What can I say. Heat. AC on car gone. House in disrepair. Crown & possible root canal. Roof kitchen rot paint gutters. Lawnmower broke down 2 mos ago. Am going out of town. Husband ignores chores. Sigh.

:o)

Off to NY then Denver then NY.

No time to print :o(

Hope you are all well & having fun. I may be a mess but I am a relatively happy mess!

Ari Sutton
07-21-2005, 10:22 PM
Andrew,

It sounds like you are busy. Do you also work in oil paint? You may find them easier to work with when you are working so large because they don't dry as quickly.

Barbara,

Sorry things are hard now. Hope you enjoy the trip.

I haven't been posting at all this week, because I have been working on my best reproduction to date. My wife and I had a baby boy Tuesday morning at 8:24. He is 7Lbs 2 oz and 19.5 inches. Here is a picture.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2005/29596-babyresampled.jpg

This picture was taken when he was about 15 minutes old :) :D

According to our tradition, we don't tell anyone the baby's name until after his Bris Milah, which will take place at our syangogue one Tuesday morning at 9:00 AM. I'll let you know his name after that. For now we have been referring to him as Ringo just to have something to call him.

Ari

Diane Cutter
07-22-2005, 06:15 AM
Cute baby, Ari... Congratulations to you and your wife... I envision this little guy becoming a model for some woodcuts...

I'm off today to do a freebie printmaking demo/funshop at the local resort hotel. Wish me luck. I've tried to make it quick and dirty and challenge the participants to re-working and going back into their plates, since I am providing all the materials.

Diane

Ari Sutton
07-22-2005, 06:29 AM
Thanks Diane and good luck.

Ari

LetterC
07-23-2005, 12:36 PM
Ari-congratulations! Oh, boy, Ringo! that could stick - watch out. I'll be interested to hear his real name. Cute baby.

Andrew - interesting that you should mention watercolors and printmaking. Our local gallery has a printmaking show right now. Barry Moser wood engravings are part of it. I bought one. What a master. Someone brought several books to the gallery. Some to share and some for sale. I hadn't realized that Moser did watercolors. As with his wood engravings many are illustrations. Very nice. Very different disciplines. I've long admired his work and seeing it in "person" is such a treat.

Sunfilly
07-23-2005, 03:04 PM
Oh Ari congradualtions, so cute. Well I hope you still have time for blockprinting. I hope you have some family nearby, but you also have some older kids too right that can help you guys?

My daugther and her husband are a bit stressed out because they do not have any family nearby to help them out with the baby, just so they can get a bit of rest, or some alone time, the baby doesn't like to go to sleep, she fussies and fights sleep everytime. I think she is afraid she will miss something if she sleeps LOL!!! Well pretty soon I will be there so they can go out and have a bit of fun. Grandma to the rescue.

I have been exporing some other mediums as well, mostly pastels, I love pastels. Its a lot of fun. I'm working in miniature right now. I want to play with polymer clay a bit too, but I am going to wait until I get to my new home before I break out the clay, I have everything packed up anyway.

H20
sorry to hear about your troubles, well with the teeth stuff at least they will give you some nice pain killers for it, so it won't be too bad. I just had a wisdom tooth extrated and it had a curled root in it so it was hard for the dentist to get it out, but fortunatly she gave me vicodine right before so I was not to freaked out, and my dentist was really good with the needle and numbing my mouth, so I did not feel a thing, well I felt the needle but the vicodine made me not care too much. Ask them for vicodine before you go for the root canal and crown, and after for the pain, it is great stuff. I did not even mind the needles and usually that freaks me out the most. Good luck with that anyway.

Diane good luck with your printmaking demo/funshop. I hope it is as much fun for you, as I know it will be for your students. Can't wait to hear how it went.

When I get to my daughters house I am going to help them with some work tha needs to be done in their house, we need to take down wallpaper in the master bath and kitchen and breakfast nook. That should be pretty easy I found a good technique I saw on TV for it. Score the wall paper with the paper scorer and them take some fabric softner mix it with water in a bucket and apply it to the wall paper with big sponges. Supposenly the wall paper will come of real easy. they say the fabric softner works even better then the chemicals they sell to break up the adhesive on the wall paper.

They also want to remove the linolium on their kitchen floor, that may be a bit harder I think. Well maybe their linolium was just glued on the edges, since it was just a big sheet, not the whole floor we hope. We think there may be a nice wood floor underneath. I think so because it is an older house so we will cross our fingers. If the floor is nice we will just refinish the floor, if it is ugley plywood we will lay down a new floor. My daughter has picked out black and white tiles, just incase we have to put down a new floor, it should look pretty nice. We will also paint all the kitchen cabinets and switch out the hardware. It should be a fun project.

Ari Sutton
07-23-2005, 07:49 PM
Thanks Carol and Deborah.

Ringo isn't a bad name. I wanted to call him Dweizel for now but my wife put her foot down.

We don't have any family nearby, and my kids are developmentally disabled so they can only help in a limited fashion. However, we are used to handling a lot by ourselves. This is baby number 5 counting mine yours and ours, so we have some experience in the matter.

Ari

Printmakerguy
07-24-2005, 05:28 AM
:clap: Congrats on the new baby, Ari! :clap:

I hope you don't mind that I 'Borrowed' the pic-

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jul-2005/36273-Ringo.gif

This is a rather crude rubbing of a block I did last night, about 6 x 6... I realized that I had never done an infant, though this was the PERFECT opportunity!

I changed the 'pose' a little, and wrapped it in a blanket.... Hope you don't hate it- Kind of a tough subject! I 'based' it on an OLD M.C. Escher woodcut of a sleeping infant that I found. Haven't decided if I am going to keep the background behind him (above the baby), I'll see how it looks when I can print it...

Working title of this one is 'Ringo at 15 Minutes', but I will change that before I print an edition, once we all know the REAL name! :D

Of course, you'll get a print, Ari- If you want one, that is :)

Any C&C is, as always, welcome and appriciated!

-Andrew

Diane Cutter
07-24-2005, 07:09 AM
It's great, Andrew....

Diane

Ari Sutton
07-24-2005, 09:39 AM
Thank you Andrew. I love it and would appreciate a print.

Ari

Ari Sutton
07-25-2005, 08:02 PM
This seems to be a week to share good news with my wet canvas friends. The Jewish newspaper for the New England area, The Jewish Advocate, printed an article about my exhibit. It gets wide readership all over New England. Additionally, I received a phone call yesterday by a bank manager in my town who was impressed by the exhibit and asked me if I would be willing to move the entire exhibit to his bank in the near future for a two month run. Ok, its not the met or the guggenheim, but it is exposure.

Ari

Diane Cutter
07-25-2005, 08:15 PM
Super news, Ari...

Diane

Ari Sutton
07-25-2005, 09:09 PM
Thanks Diane.

Ari

Ari Sutton
07-26-2005, 03:03 PM
Hi everyone. The baby was officially named today in synagogue. His name is George Harrison Sutton, no just kidding. It's Samuel Adam Sutton, Shmuel Adam in Hebrew.

Ari

H2O_Baby
07-28-2005, 06:35 AM
Ari:

Congratulations - I am out of town and just caught the news about your new addition. I think he resembles you. Can't believe you named him after a beer though. Goodonya & all my best to your wife, the woman who did the work!

Congrats also on being in the paper, hope you develop a BIG following.

Barbara

Ari Sutton
07-28-2005, 07:11 AM
Thanks Barbara. He is actually named after my wife's great grandfather, though it did cross my mind that people would think that it could have been the beer, or the historical figure.

I hope I can at least start selling some pieces. The best thing that could happen would be for a gallery to become interested.

Ari

Sunfilly
07-29-2005, 02:51 PM
Ari,
Congratulations on your exposure in the newspaper and the bank, good news. Love the baby's name too.

Andrew nice wood cut of little Samuel, boy I should send you a picture of my granddaughter for a print. I may have to commision you, it will make a nice present for my daughter and her husband. I will contact you about it when I move and get settled in.

Ari Sutton
07-29-2005, 04:47 PM
Thank you Deborah.

Ari

Jetsam
07-29-2005, 08:31 PM
Ari, Congratulations on both Samuel's 'show' and yours as well. And, it's great that it was picked up by the paper and generating even more interest. That's what it's all about.

bridog
07-30-2005, 08:18 AM
congrats Ari and spouse on birth of your new son
I suppose now finding free time for printing will be a bit more challenging ?

Brian

Ari Sutton
07-31-2005, 10:39 AM
Thanks Brian, with my crew it's always a challenge.

Ari