PDA

View Full Version : Desert Dream

carld
07-20-2005, 10:10 PM
Desert Dream

16" x 20" Danial Smith acrylic on canvas. Cad Red Lt. is Winsor and Newton.

The is the first painting I did using cad red lt. and Thalo blue. Before I only used alizerine crimson and ultramarine blue.

I think this one is getting close to the boundary of realistic / nonobjective.

Comments and critique welcome.

Carl

Wayne Gaudon
07-20-2005, 10:26 PM
Being as you asked. It's very pretty on first take but not a lot of staying power.
Blue and yellow are fairly equal, red and green are failrly equal in space contained and the horizon line pretty well cuts the canvas in half .. it's a case of equal billing and all things being equal is not a good thing.

nancyw
07-21-2005, 09:18 AM
I like this; the colors, drama, and dynamic shapes all dwarf any technical flaws for me.

Charlie's Mum
07-21-2005, 05:10 PM
I like the way you've applied you paint very much, I also like the colour and tonal contrasts.
To my mind, it's the green shapes which let this down - they're a bit aimless - just appear to be stuck there like scenery on a stage! They need to help lead the eye into the focal point and around the foreground - and the colour could be a more sympathetic green - or range of!

But bear my first sentence in mind! :D

3chaway9
07-24-2005, 08:03 AM
I knew i was attracted to this from the thumbnail.....very nice Carl.

Leslie Pz
07-24-2005, 09:21 AM
Wow! Really good. I love your colors and the simplicity helps the strong composition even more!
-Les

carld
07-25-2005, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the design comments. I had not noticed the equal areas, will have to look a little deeper next time.

The bushes do tend to float, they look that way in some lights.

This painting was not intended to be a true depiction of nature, rather an experiment in simplification. My intention was to examine the boundary between landscape and abstract art.

Thanks to all for your interest.

Carl