PDA

View Full Version : Eggsactly

lorna12
07-18-2005, 03:25 PM
Hi all,

I found the reference for this in the RIL by Olika and I've been wanting to do it for a long time...finally got around to it.

C&C welcomed.

After looking at it in the preview, the colors aren't showing as warm as in real life...the eggs especially. Iwill try taking a pic outdoors and see if that helps.

acrylic on masonite 8X10
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2005/11613-Eggactly.jpg

connievanwinssen
07-18-2005, 03:44 PM
Beautiful, Lorna! :)

Lady Carol
07-18-2005, 03:46 PM
Wow!!!!
This looks just like a photograph. The material is fabulous. How long did this take to do?

bjcpaints
07-18-2005, 04:03 PM
Absolutely gorgeous addition to your food series Lorna! Looks like a ref pic!!!

jan409
07-18-2005, 04:40 PM
Good picture of a future omlete. LOL Keep posting your work. I enjoy looking at it. Jan

chaz
07-18-2005, 04:56 PM
They look really super lying there in that intricate napkin(?)

family2dyl
07-18-2005, 05:25 PM
Great reference photo Lorna, now where's your painting? ;) :cat:

WOW!!!

lorna12
07-18-2005, 05:44 PM
Thank you for the kind responses! Much appreciated for sure!

Carol...not quite like the photo, lol;) I worked on it for a few days...not sure of the hours. Not sure if I'm done or not either, after seeing it on here...may darken the cloth a bit...I think it's still too white, though there is a lot of subtle yellows, pinks and mauves...too subtle maybe?? I tried taking a pic outside but on the computer it still looked like the scan.

Chuck...think it might be a tablecloth though it could be a napkin.:)

Debbie...lol:D

Thankyou Connie and Barbara!:)

Jan..will try my best!:)

Lulu
07-18-2005, 06:05 PM
wow! this is absolutely STUNNING! beautiful work! the lace work on the cloth is exquisite too!
I remember (in a past life lol) when we had a project in the cp forum painting eggs on a white cloth - without using any white! That was a real challenge.

Wayne Gaudon
07-18-2005, 06:31 PM
everything except the shadows is done very very very professional .. the shadows are not up to your level of rendering as they are solid and in realistic rendering they should have soft and high spots of different values and also they should resonate reflected light. I would blame this fault on the photo as photos don't tell the true tale and as you can render the rest without fault you sure as heck could render the shadows properly if you had seen them. Outstanding piece of work. :clap: :clap: :clap:

lorna12
07-18-2005, 07:56 PM
Thankyou Lulu and Wayne! :)

Wayne I had thought I had addressed the issue of solid shadows...you feel there should be more? Here's a closeup. I did reflect the color of the eggs in the white parts as I knew they would be there but really couldn't see the dark part and never thought of egg color in the shadows....just varying shadow color. I appreciate the critique! :) I'll have to see if I can set up something similar and have a good look.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2005/11613-Closeup_a.jpg

Faded
07-18-2005, 07:59 PM
Terrific realism, you could even say eggcellent ( but I won't...LOL :D ) Great job Lorna
-Faded

Wayne Gaudon
07-18-2005, 08:54 PM
Lorna .. yes, the close up does show that they are not as flat as I can see the minor relfections in them. However, that said, the shadows just don't seem correct. If you take an egg and put it on a white surface and put a strong spotlight on it you will very dark shadows (hard all over)
Take the egges and add a secondary light (the secondary light .. ie room window or room lights, etc). If you then put an egg in a spotlight situtation you will have two shadows and a third reflection of a shadow (see the purple slight shadow as well as the two blue ones. Because of the composition and light on your painting I have to assume that the eggs are not under a spotlight in a dark room and they do have a secondary source of light as all else displays this. I have attached two images .. one of egges in a dark room under a spotlight and one of eggs under a spotlight but with the lights on in the room. You can see the amazing differences in the shadows produced and though most people won't see them, we as artist will. I was also thinking that perhaps the intensity of the blue might be affecting how hard they are hitting. :D Of course, these are only my observations and bias offered because it's the way I see things. :D
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2005/5946-egg1.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2005/5946-egg2.jpg

Dovie
07-18-2005, 11:40 PM
The is awesome! I love the way you did the scarf. I wouldn't change a thing.

lorna12
07-19-2005, 07:18 AM
Thankyou Faded and Dovie for your nice compliments! :)

Wayne, I understand what you mean.... this is the image I used...I only see one light source.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/19-Jul-2005/11613-3040eggs-in-white_olika_wc_small.jpg

Wayne Gaudon
07-19-2005, 08:26 AM
that was my point .. I said it was the fault of the photo and not the artist .. I had to push my photo to show what was really there .. photos in themselves are big fat liars LOL
If you set that scene up realistically and looked you would see more than what the photo will show you. I think your talent level is extremely high and to push this piece further you could, but to do so you would have to push the reality of the matter and that can only be done from life; not a photo. Your painting skills were never the issue because it's starkly evident that you can capture what you see. I don't think the shadows are correct because they are camera shadows and cameras darken shadows considerably and they lose the flavor of the delicate color changes found in real life shadows. For a realistic artist, I think it important to capture that flavor. Of course, each artist considers for themselves what is important and what isn't. If you are satisfied, that is all that matters because art is self-gratifying. :D

D.G.K.King
07-19-2005, 08:48 AM
Hi Lorna
I think it is an excellent picture as it is and needs nothing more doing to it. I as an artist do get concerned that we artists can get to wrapped up in the technicalities more so when we are painting in a realism style. There comes a point where we lose the essense of the artist. Your picture has both realism and the artist in it and it would be a shame to loose either. Sign it and frame it, honestly it needs nothing more

Anita Murphy
07-19-2005, 09:30 AM
Lorna - this if really well done. The fabric is just perfect. The eggs are incredibly realistic. Another wonderful painting to go with your other beautiful work.

jocelynsart
07-19-2005, 10:39 AM
Glad I saw this. Your work is always so lovely and sensitive. I have not seen it in awhile.
The shadows, as you have them, could use a softening, sure. It could be seeing them on the screen that is making them look so solid too though. I can see even in your reference that they are subtler, lighter and show more of the texture of the napkin through them as they fall on it. Break up the solid edge a bit maybe and allow them some more transparencey. Shadows tend to be the least accurate element in a photo but it is easy to store up all that info in your mind, through constant visual observ., to help you work however you want with your refs.
Jocelyn

theIsland
07-19-2005, 12:41 PM
Ah, the food series continues! This is gorgeous, as usual. :) The rendering on the tablecloth is incredible. It's so believeable, I look at it and think of my grandmother, rather than thinking of paint. (And it takes a lot for me to stop analyzing paint.) I like how you changed the color of the eggs to brown. Stark white supermarket eggs wouldn't belong in such a peaceful and nostalgic scene.

Did you know I painted my first eggs because of you? I was inspired by a still life with eggs and a lamp on a table that you did for a WDE. Well, I discovered that eggs are very difficult to do, and mine are still unfinished.

Tami

lorna12
07-19-2005, 03:46 PM
Thank you Wayne and Jocelyn, too....upon reflection, it could be that the reason I think the cloth is too white is because the shadows are too dark. I don't know if I'll change it now but will remember this for the future.

Dave and Anita, thank you! :)

Tami...no I didn't know that, thank you...I found them easier to do in graphite than in paint. Are if you referring to the broken egg shells you painted (when you were under the weather if I remember correctly?)...they aren't finished yet?? I thought they were absolutely gorgeous and I have been wanting to paint some ever since I saw them! :D

Thank you all again! :wave:

texana6
07-20-2005, 02:10 PM
Lorna, I think you have done an exquisite job!

Charlie's Mum
07-20-2005, 06:09 PM
Hi friend!
I'm eggspecting to see these eggs in the siggy very soon;);):D
Your attention to detail is legendary to those of us who know you - and I like this as is - you could get too bogged down .............. as we say, if you're fiddling, it's time to stop!

Jocelyn - if you're looking in, come over to the AMAE forum, you'll see lots of Lorna's work there;)

HRH Goldie
07-20-2005, 08:33 PM
Hi Lorna, thanks for the link in the WDE'rs and even though it is incredibly difficult I felt I had to comment on your wonderful painting.
We rarely see white eggs in our supermarkets so are more used to the brown ones. I love the warm tones you have used on the starkness of the white tablecloth to make it infinitely more interesting. :clap: :clap: :clap:
I think sometimes paintings mean more when they are an interpretation anyway and not perfect in every detail. This is your interpretation therefore it is bound to be different from the photo whilst still maintaining the high realism element. Therefore everyone is right in my eyes - :wink2: Just call me a UN diplomat. :rolleyes:
Do you know how long it took me to type this? Lol!!!!
:wave:

Marty C
07-20-2005, 10:00 PM
Hi Lorna,
Beautiful, accomplished work.
The discussion on shadows is interesting, but for a very detailed discussion on shadows and shadow colours, have a look here (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=257430&highlight=shadow+color).

mrs willow
07-21-2005, 03:26 AM
Hi Lorna,
I agree with Marty!
Your painting is beautiful and very accomplished! Well done!It is a great composition and so realistic!
Having just completed a second egg painting myself(in acrylics), I know just how difficult eggs can be to paint, in this medium. My first was in watercolour and that was much easier.
I am impressed with the reflected colour you have throughout your painting and especially how you have incorporated the reflected colour into the white cloth so that it still reads"white"
Sandy

lorna12
07-21-2005, 04:10 AM
Thankyou all so much for the encouraging and lovely comments!

Marty, thanks so much for the link...I am enjoying reading it...heading back there right now!

Christine...thank you for taking the time and effort this must have been for you, to comment...it's very much appreciated! Now don't overdo!!