PDA

View Full Version : Basic 101: Class 23 - Drawing Glass

Pages : [1] 2 3

JayD
07-18-2005, 12:42 AM
Basic 101 Class 23

The Glass Class

“Drawing glass is really no different than drawing any other subject. Attention to detail and accurate values are what creates the illusion of shiny glass”.----Karen Cardinal, Colored Pencil Forum.

I remember a trick that we used to do in college. It involved “eating glass”. We would smash a light bulb—take a piece of it and slowly chew it—crunch it up a lot and then swallow it. Ah, college days. Do NOT try this yourself.

The key to the trick is to choose the right glass and to make sure that you totally broke down the glass.

Fact, glass is sand. That is what glass is made of –it is a silicon based product and the making of glass is ancient in its origins so it makes perfect sense that we would want to portray glass in our drawings.

Like the glass eating trick—that is all there is to drawing glass or anything transparent for that matter—it’s a trick—you don’t draw the glass you draw what it happens to be reflecting.

Glass is made of light, reflection and sand. Don’t concentrate on the problem of drawing the glass—think about what about what the glass “sees” and shows back to you—the reflection. Think about the shape of the glass—are there curves? Are there patterns in the glass—is there water in the container—are there distortions—what is or are the light sources? Is the glass colored OR is the reflection of the glass creating colors and patterns that you can exploit to create the illusion of glass. What about stain glass—how does light and reflection effect this type of glass. Is the glass clean—what if the glass is dirty—does the dirt distort the reflections? What is in, beside or behind the glass—what about windows, glasses, skylights, fishbowls. Consider the thickness of the glass—what about prisms.

Glass, as a personality, is very complex but is easy and fun to draw. Here are some glassy things to always keep in mind:

1. Focus on what the glass is reflecting—not the glass itself.

2. Focus on your light sources.

3. Tone and value are very, very important when drawing glass

4. When drawing in color, keep in mind that glass will sometimes break down light into its different spectrum bandwidths (Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Indigo, and Violet)—consider using these in a limited palette along with white, black (if you must) and gray.

5. ALL transparent objects are comprised of dark and light patterns in varying degrees of value.

6. You don’t always have to draw the exact reflection—sometimes you can just indicate the reflection as a difused image (draw just the patterns and not the picture).

7. VERY important in drawing glass—Highlights, midtones, darks---work the darks first, then the highlights and then fill in the midtones.

A short list but this will help you move well on your way to adding the glass dimension to your artist’s bag of tricks.

Demonstrations:

The following four examples are demonstrations of the creation of a glass object. They are overly simplified, of course, and I really should follow my own advice and use a centerline.

The first two demos are done in graphite:

1. Lightly draw the line drawing and PLEASE use a centerline

2. Fill in your patterns

3. Add in your values

4. Use an eraser to fill in your highlights if necessary.

The second two sketches are in color using Prismacolor Pencils:

In the first one, I did a line drawing of the glass, and then filled in specific points with aquamarine. Next, I took a solvent called Turpenoid and, using a q-tip—dissolved the colored pencil to create a watercolor like effect. I then created darks by using a combination of Indigo Blue and Raspberry. Finally, I used Peacock and olive green to complete the glass.

In the next one, I did the line drawing very lightly and then developed the drawing using French gray 20 percent. Next I took indigo blue and tuscan red and created the darks. Finally I filled out the drawing using mineral orange. Notice, that in the sketch I have only indicated the reflection using a series of patterns.

JayD
07-18-2005, 12:46 AM
The next images are examples of work that I have done with drawing glass.

JayD
07-18-2005, 12:47 AM
Links to visit and consider

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=261808

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=71461:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282987&highlight=glass

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282860&highlight=glass

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282635&highlight=glass

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275194&highlight=glass

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270570

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267720

Marbles:

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264005

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266206

This is the colored Pencil Forum’s Classy Glass Class—check it out!!

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271311

JayD
07-18-2005, 12:49 AM
The Assignment

1. Do a glass piece with yourself as the reflection--in other words--a glass selfportrait

2. Do a still life

3. Do crystal balls and marbles

4. Pick something on your own--any medium you want

ABOVE ALL--HAVE FUN!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

mothsailor
07-18-2005, 01:06 AM
Gulp. Thanks, JayD. I think...

I don't think for a moment that it's as easy as you make it look! Thanks for another great class!!

Judi1957
07-18-2005, 05:39 AM
Gulp, gulping with Dave! :eek:
(Glad you are with us Dave! :clap: :clap: )

Thanks Boss!!! :clap: :clap:

JayD
07-18-2005, 07:18 AM
Thanks, guys--again pardon the leaning--I thought it was the centerline but when I drew those demos I was phsically exhausted from clearing some woods this weekend with my chainsaw and pruning shears. In High Point, you have to lug it all up to the edge of the road so that the city can pick it up and it must be bundled in three feet sections. I own an acre to an acre and a half of city real estate so dragging those heavy, dense wooded gum tree corpses to the road took a lot out of me. I still have to chainsaw the tree sections so that the city will pick them up on Thursday. This whole chore took late Friday until Mid Sunday to finish and the curb by the road where I place the refuse looks like I have erected a hedge wall--I am 6' tall and it goes up to my mid chest.

I wrote a short story called "Behind the Yard" in which a city inspector comes to this guys house to inspect a just spotted but never inspected building from who access is apparently through and behind this guy's yard. Turns out that is it s gingerbread house occupied by a witch. Happy to report that I found no witches!!! :D

Anyway, enjoy the glass class--I will be doing and posting some more controlled examples for you as well. Just remembers that the reflections can be as detailed or as not as you would like them to be. :)

Mary Woodul
07-18-2005, 07:37 AM
Thank you JayD, (gulp also), this is going to be more fun and challenge. You have been working hard, so take care. :D

Hi Judi and Dave! :wave:

SILKNSATIN
07-18-2005, 07:52 AM
Wow this is going to be a toughy.But looks like fun.
JayD very nice pieces. :clap:

Anita Murphy
07-18-2005, 08:03 AM
Oh yes - I like this one - way better than fur!!!! Can't wait to get started!

Fireman's kid
07-18-2005, 08:26 AM
Oooo, glad I got my excuse in early for this one. :evil: But can't wait to see all of your drawings! :D

Jay, take it easy after all that work. If your humidity is anything like ours right now, walking those tree corpses out to the curb must have been more like swimming. :eek:

sultry
07-18-2005, 09:22 AM
Hey Teach this is sooooooooooooo cool I have been wanting to do my betas over again. You gave me a reason to do it :)
I love your demos especially the cp beer one.

JayD
07-18-2005, 09:53 AM
Hey, stace---you are absolutely right--the heat is tremendous here right now and the air is heavy and unbearably humid. HOWEVER, there is NOTHING more fun then playing with a chainsaw. I've never tried chainsaw carving....hmmmmmm

Sults--hope you are going to grace us with some glassiness--here is a challenge for you and anyone who wants to give it a go--draw me a glass fairy.! :evil: :evil: or crystal--do an angel even!!! :evil:

Anybody up to doing a drawing on black ground? (black paper) :evil:

cmwynn
07-18-2005, 10:17 AM
I have done a few drawings with glass in black and white, but think colored pencils would be better for a lot of this. I have a very limited supply of cheap pencils, this might push me over to getting a good setup.

chaz
07-18-2005, 10:23 AM
Good morning folks. And you with the chainsaw, and extra good morning!

Though I'd be the first to post, but if so, I'm cheating. Here are two images with glass. these are digital paintings, from scratch and hand drawn, that I did for challenges on another forum. I've already started my true new glass for this thread, but thought I'd give a couple of more examples. Evern if they are digital. I;m not sure, but I may have posted one of these on the WC! but can't remember.

Chuck

JayD
07-18-2005, 12:44 PM
OK, Chuck--I did say any medium and you did draw a portion of this by hand so they count. Can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Judi1957
07-18-2005, 12:56 PM
Ohhhh Chuck-thought you were going to get in trouble for a digi-LOL :D

Love them both! Great job! The blue background is really cool!
:clap: :clap:

Mary Woodul
07-18-2005, 02:23 PM
Chuck, those are so good, I love both of them.
Hi Stacy, Sults, Anita . :wave: JayD your weather sound awfull, although that hurricane is supposed to make land fall at the coast right in front of us, but we have a huge sierra to protect us, I know we will get a lot of rain though.

Hi Judi, we just crossposted. :wave:

Mary Woodul
07-18-2005, 02:31 PM
Connie, sorry, I went back and I was sure I had seen you, so Hi :wave: I also think colored pencil would be the best but would like try it on the black background, but I wonder about the reflections. :confused:

Bon, Hi, I'm terrible this morning. Better go finish cooking so I can draw.

Anita Murphy
07-18-2005, 02:40 PM
JayD - feeling particularly dense today - a glass self-portrait? In a glass or bottle or in a mirror? I have this awful feeling you are looking for self-portrait in a glass so it will be all distorted by the shape of the glass. Sounds like you had a marathon weekend!

Hi Sults, Judi, Chaz, Mary, Dave, Bon and Connie.

JayD
07-18-2005, 03:36 PM
Attention Everyone--this Is Primarily A Drawing Class So Make Sure That When You Post Other Medium Make Sure You Include Your Preliminary Drawings. This Will Give Us Insight Into Your Process And We Wont End Up Offending Any Purists.

Anita Murphy
07-18-2005, 04:53 PM
I collect glass - I bought these glass balls when we lived in Italy - and so far have only used them for art projects :D . One of these days I will get round to having them out!
Bad photo - if I adjust the lighting it loses tonal value.

mhimeswc
07-18-2005, 05:24 PM
Love your glass balls drawing, Anita. You should take them out for display also. I have some glass kitties that would love to play with your glass balls.

JayD, I'm confused about the glass self portrait too. If it's in a mirror, then it's just a regular self portrait, done in a past lesson. But I can't seem to see myself in any of the glass objects in my house. ????

Michelle

JayD
07-18-2005, 05:31 PM
Anita,that is beautiful--I did not mean to ignore you regarding your question--yes, do your reflection in the glass a la escher. Give it a shot!!

JayD
07-18-2005, 05:51 PM
that's ok--Michelle--if you cant see yourself then dont fret it--the object is to draw glass--the suggestion of the face is to make it simpler for you to feel out the shapes but the goal is to draw the glass. I wil also suggest that you folk might want to meander over to the Reference library and find something there. Do ANYTHING glass--it could be crystal animal, a ball, it could be a window (look at Andrew Wyeth), glasses (hey! Look at me)--marbles, cups--ever drawn a glass rod? Look around--there are a kazillion things to draw of glass...

SILKNSATIN
07-18-2005, 06:00 PM
Chuck very good.
Anita you show off.lol :evil:
Hi mary seems a rotten hot day here and i'm not gunna cook. :D
Umm wonder how it would look with fur on my glass??LOL :p :p :D

Cathie Jones
07-18-2005, 07:48 PM
Beautiful glass, Anita!

Chuck, digital may be cheating, but it sure is pretty!!! :D

Waaaaaay back when the class first started there was a Weekly Drawing thread that had glass bottles - I'll try to find it later. It was a good ref. And last week's Weekly Drawing thread had glass and green grapes, which are almost like glass.

When I first read the title of this class I was so scared I was speechless (yep, me, really!) - but as I went along reading I realized that I've done glass before. I did the early Weekly Drawing ref, and have painted marbles twice and a glass vase early in my watercolor lessons. AND I did Muscreate's grapes in a crystal bowl!! So - no sweat - it'll be a snap, right?? :rolleyes:

I'll start tonight if work doesn't interfere too much . . .

Cathie Jones
07-18-2005, 08:49 PM
Hmmmmm . . . where is everybody?

Here's a link to the old Weekly Drawing thread with glass . . . (http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=220472&highlight=Weekly+Drawing+Thread)

and Em's (mustcreate) crystal . . . (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=13300&cat=500&ppuser=9879)

and one of Em's marble photos . . . (http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/showphoto.php?photo=13075&cat=500&ppuser=9879)

JayD
07-18-2005, 09:18 PM
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........

Anita Murphy
07-18-2005, 09:25 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2005/58769-23460-smiley_too_funny.gif

mhimeswc
07-18-2005, 09:25 PM
Okay, I know this doesn't count because a) I did it a couple of years ago, and b) it's watercolor. But I thought I would post one of my glass paintings. This is a painting of three glass cats, two clear glass and one smoked glass.

Michelle

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/18-Jul-2005/20035-ThreeLittleKittensSmall.jpg

SILKNSATIN
07-18-2005, 09:49 PM
Michelle that is beautiful. :clap: :clap: .What size is your painting?
Cathie ya I still have my ugly one I did way back.LOL
Well thought i'd give graphite a try.

mhimeswc
07-18-2005, 10:07 PM
Thanks, Bon. I have quite a few of these little glass animals, and they were fun to paint. I will have to see if they are fun doing in pencil also. :)

Nice crystal ball. What do you see in it?

Michelle

SILKNSATIN
07-18-2005, 10:26 PM
Lead LOL :p :D
It's a lead crystal on a crystal block.
And I see i'm not the glass type.

JayD
07-18-2005, 10:42 PM
Michelle, I have a challenge for you if you are up for it--it will force you to take a closer look at your own art. I would like to see you "back-engineer" this drawing--look at the picture and then do a graphite representation of this painting. See if you can recreate the picture by using only gray scales and no color. I hope you do this--you might find it very interesting.

lullrich76
07-18-2005, 10:44 PM
Hi Everyone,

You all make this look so easy! Here is my attempt at an empty glass vase from my cabinet.

Mary Woodul
07-18-2005, 10:51 PM
You all go sooo fast. I've been working on my reflection on a door but it doesn't look like glass yet. :crying:

Michelle, your glass cats are gorgeous, the glass look is excellent.

Anita, your glass spheres on the plate look beautiful also.

Lisa, you are getting ahead also.

Bon, your sphere and block is of course, superb.

I'll try to post mine tomorrow. Good night all! :wave:

JayD
07-18-2005, 11:00 PM
Hi, Lullich--very interesting. I like your choice of ground. try adding some accents of white here and there to assist in the highlight.

Anita Murphy
07-19-2005, 08:10 AM
Bon - I think your crystal ball is super! You definitely get the feeling that there is something solid but transparent there and even without having anything reflected in it there is a real sense of a distorted background.

Michelle - I take my hat off to anyone who can paint in watercolours as they are a total enigma to me. Well done!

Lullich - I like the ground colour too. I am going to have to go buy some coloured paper! I agree with JayD - you just need some highlights.

Hi Mary, JayD, Everyone else

lullrich76
07-19-2005, 09:01 AM
Thanks Mary, Jay and Anita!

Actually, it is charcoal paper that is cream colored. It looks darker because I couldn't use a flash when I took the pic.

The vase is wavy, so I thought I might try a smooth glass surface and it might work better for me.

Michelle--your painting is beautiful!

Lisa

Judi1957
07-19-2005, 12:39 PM
Anita-your glass balls are GREAT! :clap:

Michelle-love the glass cats! :clap:

Bon...well....let me think...oh yeh-fabulous! :clap:

Lisa-looking good! :clap: Like the colored paper!

Hi JayD, Mary and CJ :wave:

SILKNSATIN
07-19-2005, 01:14 PM
Thank you michelle,anita,mary and judi. :)
Lisa good work on colored paper. :clap:

Mary Woodul
07-19-2005, 07:16 PM
Good afternoon everyone! I'm afraid I made this much too complicated and have no way to make it look like glass. I opened my glass door to the back yard and it opens against a wall that has a painting of mine that is seen in the portrait. I stood in front of the door and got a mirror like reflexion but it had no glare to make it show that it is glass. The relected part of the door frame shows and the and the right part of the painting is much lighter but I still don't see anything that will tell you it is glass. :(

Judi1957
07-19-2005, 08:34 PM
Hi All :wave:

Mary,
I like your drawing a lot! :clap: I think you are nearly there.
Maybe if you add more strategically placed darks to some of the door frame areas would help and 'blind out' some of the lighter areas to no color to make it look like bright sunlight is glaring on the glass?
You are a beautiful reflection Mary! :)
You should see the Hope diamond I just drew-LOL-absolutley hopeless. :D Broke my rule and threw it out. :eek:

mhimeswc
07-19-2005, 08:54 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments about my w/c painting. JayD, I think I can do a black and white drawing of the setup from my painting. Will let you know after I try it. :)

Mary, I really like your drawing. It looks like a very interesting semi-abstract. Very creative. :clap: I know you can't specifically tell that it is glass, but you can tell that it is a reflection of some kind. Maybe just a couple of "sun glints" on the glass will help. (I guess you would just use an eraser for that??)

Michelle

Mary Woodul
07-19-2005, 09:03 PM
Thank you Judi. I'll look in the reflection tomorrow and see where I can add some light. What do you mean you threw it away? No,no,no Judi. I want to see it. :eek:

Thank you Michelle. I hope I can erase it because I sprayed fixative over the lines in the drawing so that when I'd go over with some shading it wouldn't blur. But it is that, that it needs. I'll try and see what happens. :confused: :D

Judi1957
07-19-2005, 10:53 PM
I see now this is not one of the assignments-LOL-but it is my favorite vase. It sat on my windowsill for years gathering all the little dandelions and daisies my kids picked for me. It is only 2 1/2" high and really it is green, but did it in graphite anyway. It seems so much more fun to draw something that is a cherished item. :) Looks a tad blurry, maybe should have taken the pic in the morning.

Mary Woodul
07-19-2005, 11:00 PM
Judi, that is a beautiful vase and very well rendered. I like the swirvy transparencies. I was just going to turn off my computer and saw your post. See you in the morning! :wave:

Judi1957
07-19-2005, 11:05 PM
Thanks Mary,
Good Night-think I'll turn in myself-and sleep in front of the fan. Still sweltering up here. :(

mhimeswc
07-20-2005, 08:09 AM
Judi, you did a great job on that vase. Why did you think it was not one of the assignments? It is glass, and defiitely "see-through". It certainly fits #2 (still life) and then there is #4 (pick something on your own). I think it's perfect! Yes, it is a lot more meaningful if you draw an object that you love.

Michelle

Anita Murphy
07-20-2005, 08:14 AM
Judi - super job on the vase!

Mary - I love your reflected sp. I might have a go at tackling this today too. Glad I am not the first :p

JayD
07-20-2005, 08:42 AM
Hey, Judi--let me clarify the assignments. They are not hold fast--the important thing is that you drawing anything and everything glass this week and next week. Once you have this practice you will be strongly prepared for the next class. So your submission is right on and I agree 100 percent that cherished items make for the best pieces.

Mary Woodul
07-20-2005, 10:59 AM
Thank you Anita, I astill feel I have a problem with it.

JayD I don't think you saw my reflected sp but I am not happy with it because it doesn't look like glass. There was no light reflection on the glass.

cmwynn
07-20-2005, 12:06 PM
Chuck - love those digital paintings. Such interesting texture and effects.
Anita - the glass balls are so clear (pun?) They look just what they are. I thought Jay might mean that we should use a fun house mirror.
CJ- Em always has such gorgeous photos and paintings. I might use one of them, since my daughter has a collection of marbles - in the base of a lamp. Too heavy to move, too complicated to sit in her living room to work.
Michelle - the cats might not count, but they surely are good work.
Bon - stunning, very glassy.
Lisa - sometimes the simplest things turn out to be the hardest to draw. The color is always a problem when scanning.
Mary - your drawing has the Picasso effect, abstract in places, very real in others.
Judi - I like Mary's words, swirly and transparent, to describe this.
Jay - that sounds very scary - Next lesson depending on this one!

I don't have a lot of glass here, cleaned house out thoroughly when I went into an assisted living home a few years back. I did have a few baby food jars. so put marigolds in them. I think it would be easier to use a larger piece of glass, more definition in the water. I did it in watercolor pencils first, lost most of the white (a constant problem with watercolor) so did it over in pencil.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2005/29839-Marigolds_wcpxm.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2005/29839-Marigoldsxm.jpg

Judi1957
07-20-2005, 12:30 PM
Hi Connie-Those are beautiful-I see the glass, the water and the distortion created by the water and glass-BRAVO!!!!!
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks All for the comments on the vase.

JayD-you are creating quite a fright about the next Class! :D

phoebecat
07-20-2005, 01:51 PM
Hi,

Everyone's work looks fantastic! I have to say that I was a bit wary about trying this assignment. I had never tried to draw glass before and I have this thing about only liking to draw living creatures, but I know I have to expand my horizons. :p I did end up really enjoying the assignment, so it was good to try something new! I have two young cats, so needless to say, I don't have a lot of glass around the house, but I do have some glass beads. I settled on this glass bead pendant that my friend made for me. I'm afraid I may have gone too dark too soon, and that may make it difficult to improve the drawing. But, I would love suggestions...Thanks!

Anne

Anita Murphy
07-20-2005, 01:57 PM
Anne - I think this is fabulous! I love the dark values, they really make your highlights ping! Think I will have to go back to my balls and redo the values like this. Or maybe just do another one!

Connie - The distortion of the stems is wonderful. I like both versions - well done for doing colour!

JayD
07-20-2005, 02:03 PM
I will have comments for everyone later but I wanted to address this one to Mary--I went back and looked at your picture and you have created a ghostly effect which I think looks neat. You have two solutions--add in a reflecting light--remember that you control this universe so it is your decision--and second put the originating figure in plain view of the door facing the reflection so we see the woman staring out the glass with her reflection staring back in. See if that helps.

Mary Woodul
07-20-2005, 03:21 PM
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2005/43096-751.gif

JayD
07-20-2005, 03:23 PM
Mary, did you just become a Moderator--I thought you were a guide--congratulations if I missed it!!!!!

chaz
07-20-2005, 04:28 PM
Stones in a Jar. After I posted it the stopper really looks funky. Probably because of the scan or rather the digital photo. CAn't comment on others at this time. Big thunderstorm overhead. Got to go.

Chuck

mhimeswc
07-20-2005, 04:50 PM
Connie, good job on the flowers in baby food jars, and good thinking for coming up with a glass subject.

Anne, your pendant looks terrific - and another good idea for a subject.

Chuck, I like your stones in a jar. Nice reflections. We had a bad thunderstorm the last two nights. Lightning sounded like it was right in my back yard. Yikes!

Michelle

Mary Woodul
07-20-2005, 05:22 PM
Thank You, JayD. Just a week ago!!!

Mary Woodul
07-20-2005, 05:34 PM
Connie, I love your jars. The colored one is an eye treat and in your very unique style, to me is ready to be framed. I like the clean water look in the graphite version.

Anne, I also like the dark values in your pendant. It gives it such a rich look.

Chuck, your jar is very good, I like the way the forms of the stones look in the water. Hope you don't have a bad thunderstorm. We are way south of the hurricane Emily that hit the northeast coast of Mèxico but we are beginning to get some wind and clouds. I just hope it rains.

JayD, I think I understand now what to do with the reflexion sp. I'll do the others and then tackle it, the way you suggested. :eek:

Cathie Jones
07-20-2005, 06:25 PM
Hi guys! :clap: Been working days and nights again, and can't wait to get started on this class . . . no, really! I mean it! However - was told I had a deadline of 2 days to get my 'typesetting' done, and then jump right into setting up the pages that I do. Don't you hate when that happens?? And then there's the day job, where they have absolutely no sense of art and beauty, and expect me to to THEIR work all day! Humpf . . . :rolleyes:

JayD, you need to go pinch some earlobes and get more of our classmates in here . . . what's up with these guys!! I had to chase them down for the sketching class, and now they've disappeared again!

Good work everyone! Lovin' all the glass goodies.

Connie, your jars look like glass, but (like a certain TEACHER whose name I won't mention) you forgot to use center lines, so the're a little out of shape.

Chuck, take a look at the bottom right side of your jar - one of the rocks is in front of the vertical line of the jar, looks like it's trying to escape (must be a Houdini rock!).

See you good people later!!

Judi1957
07-20-2005, 06:26 PM
Mary! Have we been seeing 'Moderator' all week?! So sorry I missed it too.
CONGRATULATIONS! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Anne, I -three- love the richness of the pendant! Wonderful highlighting!

Chuck-Really like the stones in the jar!-I lean towards pictures over scans as well. stay safe. We as well have been having storms-though few much produce rain-just thunder and lightning. Today was the first day it is comfortable for near 2 weeks.

cmwynn
07-20-2005, 07:37 PM
Anne - the pendant looks very glassy. I have trouble getting dark enough, so appreciate your work here.
Chuck - good jar of stones. I see what CJ means, didn't notice it at all when I first looked.
This is a drawing enhanced with digital parts. I don't do that much anymore and have lost the touch for selecting images. A self-portrait simplified
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2005/29839-gxm.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/20-Jul-2005/29839-glassesxm.jpg

Mary Woodul
07-20-2005, 07:46 PM
Thank you Judi!

Connie, that is keen, what great idea!

Here is my Still Life, but I used the wrong kind of paper. It is just a block of colored paper probably for children and it didn't take teh colored pencil too well.

Hi CJ, oh BTW where is Joe? As you say and several others. :confused: I guess you better go pull them by the ear lobes. :evil:

Judi1957
07-20-2005, 08:18 PM
LOL Connie! That is so-o-o-o-o creative-I Love it! :clap: :clap:
Eyes see you!

Mary, Another wonderful drawing-plain construction paper?
I like the texture it has.
But it really turned out great-I really like the reflections you showed on the table and the colored edge of the plate and the marbles and the pear. :clap: :clap:

SULTS, JOE, ANN, DEB, BLAH, STACEY, DAVE
(DAVE-I KNOW YOU CANT POST ANY DRAWINGS :( )
.....WHERE ARE YOU GUYS?
I know I missed someone :confused:

chaz
07-20-2005, 09:08 PM
Well, the thunderstorm’s over for now. This was the second one the day. More coming they say. We need the rain badly. The corn is just about done for this year. For a community that lives and dies with corn, it’s a disaster.

I’m writing this in word and will paste it in case have to stop in the middle and shut down.

Cj, I guess that stone tried to escape when my back was turned. I’ll deal with him later!!

Mary, still life on construction paper. Wouldn’t have guessed. Great job, and the door reflections looks good to me. That’s what I thought it was the first time I viewed it.

Connie digital with hand drawing. Great idea. Really works. Great idea with the jars. I like the colored ones a little more than the b/w

Judi,excellent work on the vase. Those reflections really stand out

Bon dsgreat idea of the glass ball on top of the glass cube. Well done.

Anne, The pendant is excellent. Not too dark at all IMHO

Anita, those glass balls are special. They’re fun to do aren’t they?

Also I want to thank everyone about the comments on the glass digital drawings. I don’t do much digital at the moment. Too engrossed in traditional, therefore don’t have the time. Around Christmas I’ll be making some Christmas cards. But that’s another WC forum

I got so far behind with a computer problem. Was down almost all of Tuesday, and got so far behind, I’m sure I forgot someone. I apologize to anyone I missed. I’m sure I viewed it, but neglected to comment.

Chuck

JayD
07-20-2005, 09:28 PM
Ok, guys--don't make me be the big bad here but let's leave the digital stuff at home. Thanks!!!!

Troy Rochford
07-21-2005, 01:30 AM
One hour sketch here, approx 5x10. I'll see about putting together something better once I wrap up a couple of current commissions. Apologies for the brutal sloppiness of this monstrosity, lol. :eek:

Reinhard1
07-21-2005, 05:24 AM
Do I dare to present my meager try here? I'm not too happy with it, the shading looks abit too "organized" and "mechanical".

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2005/38786-glass.jpg

JayD
07-21-2005, 07:20 AM
Hmmmm.. Troy with that heatwave going on, I am not sure it is a good idea to post a cool glass of beer! Excellent job--one of my personal favorites...heh...heh...this is a really good example of reflective light ergo, you don't just draw glass--you create the illusion of glass.

Rein!!! It's not---a head!!! Actually, I think you have done a very nice job here. Think of the drawing of your portraits and then go back to my opening comments of the class where I quote noted cp artist Karen Cardinal who rightly asserts that drawing glass is all about tones and values. So try to develop this some more focusing on tone, value and highlights. Nice work so far.

Mary Woodul
07-21-2005, 07:53 AM
Troy, to me that is a beautiful rendition of smooth clear glass with beer in it.

Reinhard, what a pleasure that you will be with us. I think you're doing a great job with your bottle, I would just go in with a kneaded eraser and lift some highlights to make the refractions pop where you have your darker area.
BTW, I think this shows that you are also very good with other subjects.

Reinhard1
07-21-2005, 08:07 AM
Hi guys, thanks for the encouragement. Unfortunately the paper I used is VERY structured, nearly like a watercolour paper and rather hard, so that getting smooth transitions for tonal values is rather difficult and for me nearly impossible. So I have to leave it like it is and, since this is my first try, see if a next drawing on a different paper, might turn out better.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/21-Jul-2005/38786-glass2.jpg

Anita Murphy
07-21-2005, 08:11 AM
Reinhard - what a fabulous bottle!

Troy - I love the glass - JayD says beer - I prefer to imagine champagne! :p

Reinhard1
07-21-2005, 08:56 AM
Anita, thanks so very much. I tried my best.

JayD
07-21-2005, 09:41 AM
I dont know, Rein--it looks like you made some improvement on it. You already have one over me on this one--I suck at lettering. I cannot wait to see your next one. By the way, your bravery really shines here. You chose an interesting angle instead just drawing something head on. Nice touch.

Anita--regarding champagne--you are just much classier then I can hope to be. Give me a beer, a tractor and a bale of hay and I'm good to go. My wife LOVES champagne. I did meet a client of mine from Haiti who brought me as a gift an expensive bottle of Haitian rum that was aged about 20 years or so--gave it to my wife whom I think will enjoy it more then I will. Go beer!!!

Reinhard1
07-21-2005, 10:15 AM
Sorry to bother you again. Regina suggested to bring the highlights out more to have a closer appearance to glass. What do you think?

JayD
07-21-2005, 10:27 AM
Looks much better--Regina is correct!

Reinhard1
07-21-2005, 10:32 AM
As always - :angel:

cmwynn
07-21-2005, 10:52 AM
Mea culpa! I did draw the frames with graphite, but the digital part is obvious. I have a very good idea for a portrait, but not sure I have the energy it would require. I did go out to paint the cannas this morning. The sunlight on the orange flowers was too tempting. But I did it in casein, so it will go in the box for something to look at next year, hoping I have improved by then.
Mary - for a paper like that, you have done a wonderful job. The reflections on the glass and on the pear shine. I know that takes lots of patience.
Troy - the glass (and contents) looks sparkly.
Rheinhard - very impressive bottle. As Jay said, the lettering is excellent and the lights in the glass shine.

Anita Murphy
07-21-2005, 11:08 AM
JayD - I'm shocked at your wife - I thought you said she was Danish!!! As a half-Dane myself, I was indoctrinated from an early age by my father on the finer qualities of a good lager. Sometimes, like you say, nothing can beat it. In fact sitting on a bale of hay - I would agree - a pint would be just perfect (An English pint that is - the extra 4 fluid ounces make all the difference!) But then again, a good chilled champagne - mmmmmmmmmmm! :D My husband says Haitian Rum is the best there is.

Anita Murphy
07-21-2005, 11:11 AM
I have a Venetian glass apple (cross over between collection of glass and that of apples) and have used this for my glass self-portrait (not detailed!).

phoebecat
07-21-2005, 11:21 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments on my pendant. As I had mentioned, I was really hesitant about drawing glass. Now, I think I'm going to try more.

Anita, your glass balls are terrific.

Michelle, the glass cats are beautiful. Great subject.

Bonny, as usual your work is super. I love the crystal ball.

Lullich, I like the vase.

Mary, your reflection picture is very interesting and I love the still life. I can't believe that's construction paper.

Judi, beautiful vase. I like the swirliness.

Connie, great bottles with flowers and I really like your sunglasses...very creative.

Chuck, I really like your stones in a jar. You can really see a difference between the textures of the stones and the glass.

Troy, super glass.

Reinhard, I love the bottle. Great lettering.

Anne

phoebecat
07-21-2005, 11:25 AM
Anita, wow that's great. I love all the detail in the glass.

Anne

Mary Woodul
07-21-2005, 11:33 AM
Chuck, Judi, Connie and Anne, thank you for your comments on my still life. Learned a lesson, colored pencil is not meant for construction paper. :eek:

Reinhard, your bottle drawing is indeed very interesting in composition and looking masterly INHO.

Anita, great crystal apple, I see a reflection in there. Oh right it is your reflection sp. Very nice! :wave:

Judi1957
07-21-2005, 12:28 PM
Afternoon :wave:
Rein, love the bottle of RL. You have improved it so much since the first post! :clap: BTW-I am not at all suprised that Regina is correct-isn't she usually? :D :evil:

Troy-great glass o beer :clap: -Yingling would be my choice.

Anita-That is absolutly beautiful! :clap: What a lovely piece to own.

Hi JayD, Mary, Connie and Anne. :wave:

JayD
07-21-2005, 01:03 PM
Mary, check into some paper called Stonehenge. I get mine in tablets. It is the perfect paper for CP.

Mary Woodul
07-21-2005, 01:56 PM
Thank you JayD, I'll try to get it online because they don't have it here. I just finished some lilies for the WDT on black Fabriano and that didn't work either. I think I have to go over them with more color. I take it cp needs smooth paper. Is that the way the Stonehenge is?

Troy Rochford
07-21-2005, 02:07 PM
Reinhard - what a fabulous bottle!

Troy - I love the glass - JayD says beer - I prefer to imagine champagne! :p

DING DING DING!!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

See... I TOLD you guys my drawing was sloppy and brutal! Present is thus far the only person who correctly recognized the liquid for what it was!! Oh, the humanity....

Besides, if that were beer in that glass, well that just wouldn't be right at all. That would be just enough beer on a hot day to make one angry!!

Troy Rochford
07-21-2005, 02:12 PM
Thank you JayD, I'll try to get it online because they don't have it here. I just finished some lilies for the WDT on black Fabriano and that didn't work either. I think I have to go over them with more color. I take it cp needs smooth paper. Is that the way the Stonehenge is?

I don't do a lot of cp work but I can tell you that I began using stonehenge based on a recommendation from Arlene on this site, and I now use it even for graphite/charcoal if I have some handy. It blends easily but is smooth enough to establish some convincing smooth textures with a little work. The biggest selling point about that stuff is that if you use a light touch and don't manhandle the paper, it will take all the media you can throw at it! I did a cp portrait last year with 27 layers of color in the skin tones and the paper was ready to go some more. It is the energizer bunny of papers!

JayD
07-21-2005, 02:21 PM
Stonehenge is not a traditional paper--it is a printers paper and so you can, by applying layers very lightly layer and enormous amount of layers--I ahve seen as many as 40 or more layers on some paintings. It is a wonderful paper to work with.

Anita Murphy
07-21-2005, 02:35 PM
It is the energizer bunny of papers!
And I was going to paint today but think I shall have to trek to the art store to get some of this miracle paper. Any excuse to go to the art store :evil: (Don't tell my husband! :wink2: )

Anita

phoebecat
07-21-2005, 02:52 PM
Here is my failed attempt at drawing glasses. The actual drawing is not quite so dark and severe--here it looks like my eyes are dripping blood :eek: . I just thought I'd post it in case anyone has any good suggestions. Thanks. :)

Anne

Mary Woodul
07-21-2005, 03:14 PM
Troy thank you for you information and JayD, now that you say it is for printers, I might find it a Office Depot, or I'll just wait till my next trip to the US and bring back plenty of it. Anita, if you see any in Mexico City, let me know. BTW, Troy I was going to say, white wine, the espumoso kind, it was too early in the morning here for me to register anything but what was already said. (just trying to find excuses for not being right) :evil:

Anne, the only thing I would do would be to take some of the dark circles under your eyes out and put some reflection on the glass.

sultry
07-21-2005, 03:15 PM
Wow everyone is doing wonderful glass images.
Mary CONGRATULATIONS GF :clap: :clap: :clap: Your such a sweet person and really know how to make people feel at ease. I am glad your Mod now.

I want to tell you, your idea and how you rendered your reflection is really great, I think Jay has an excellent suggestion to have the real woman *isn't that you?* facing it. Mary, I love this piece, it has such creativity and different. I think it will be a masterpiece if you just take it further.
Just remember when you render it in, to not forget your composition and make sure the viewers eye is led to the reflection. I think you have shown so much improvement in just the last couple of classes gf. Maybe sketching Beto had something to do with it. LOL It has relaxed your hand and you are just doing wonderful work. I like the still life too, very pretty and does not look like the paper was a problem from here. lol

Anita your glass balls are rendered softly and delicate I like the feel and I do know they are glass. I also like the other work you do. I also like your venitian glass with your reflection, (I thought it was a fairy inside). :)

Connie cool glasses lol. :)

Chuck nice start on the glass jar, I think you should take your values deeper. Looking at RR's values you will get the idea of how deep you could go.

RR, bro, what can I say? I think your eyes have opened up to value and tone and you are having a ball with it.

Judi, I do not blame you for doing that glass vase, I love them. LOL another thing we have in common gf. My vases house my betas and plants so I stare at them alot. I love how you did such dark values and really made the light shine on it.

Bon, gf, I like that crystal ball, as always your work is so beautiful.

Anne, your ball or ornament is beautiful and very good values also.

Hope I did not leave anyone out, I am sorry if I did.

I am still working on my bear and I doubt if I will be able to work on anything else till I finish it. I have discovered finally how to render the light (way back in class 6 I saw it but could not render it). Now, that I finally know how to apply my strokes to get the effect I want, I am too engrossed in really capturing realism.

Jay, I will render a glass farie but it is going to be one huge surprise when its done.

Mary Woodul
07-21-2005, 03:22 PM
Hi Sults, thank you, where have you been, I've been missing you?

I love JayD's idea but my predicament will be as to where , am I going to place myself, so it will look like I'm looking at the reflection. :confused: Thank you for your input on it. I will do it!!!

I think we just crossposted. :D

Troy Rochford
07-21-2005, 03:22 PM
Troy thank you for you information and JayD, now that you say it is for printers, I might find it a Office Depot, or I'll just wait till my next trip to the US and bring back plenty of it. Anita, if you see any in Mexico City, let me know. BTW, Troy I was going to say, white wine, the espumoso kind, it was too early in the morning here for me to register anything but what was already said. (just trying to find excuses for not being right) :evil:

Anne, the only thing I would do would be to take some of the dark circles under your eyes out and put some reflection on the glass.

Lol, don't worry, it's MY fault for not rendering champagne properly and allowing viewers to confuse it with beer. I have broken all of my pencils and pens in half and have decided to become a professional triangle player in the local orchestra, so great is my shame!

Stonehenge is fairly expensive, specialty paper so you are most likely out of luck with Office Depot. If you have any repographics shops where you are, you might try calling them and seeing if they will sell you some of their stock. Failing all else, I would imagine it should be relatively easy to find online. It's worth the hassle. :wave:

JayD
07-21-2005, 03:23 PM
Mary, NOT printers (like computers)--printers like people who print---wont find at office depot! LOL!!

sultry
07-21-2005, 03:38 PM
Hi Sults, thank you, where have you been, I've been missing you?

I love JayD's idea but my predicament will be as to where , am I going to place myself, so it will look like I'm looking at the reflection. :confused: Thank you for your input on it. I will do it!!!

I think we just crossposted. :D

I miss you too, I have been *()*)&(@#$#[email protected]# working, lol, Carmelo's business really gets busy during the summer. I have to say between the phone, the invoicing, taxes (we do them qrtly), and paychecks, I have been pretty busy. I also have been working on the bear pic (as I mentioned before).

Oh I am so glad you will take this pic further. One thing you can do is this, Draw your back on a separate piece of paper and cut it out. Now you can move this all over your picture till you get the right composition and also the look you want of you staring at your reflection. (Get Beto to take your pic staring at your reflection in a mirror, so you can see how you would need to draw your back).

I think you should do your back with more darks and leave the lighter effect on the reflection as it would show as light reflected on it. Try to really put alot of realism in your back when you do this.

One other thing, do your back in cp and put a tiny bit of cp in the reflection of you. I really think that would give it a power look. Can't wait to see your completion gf. :)

I will tell you a secret, I have always wanted to do a self portrait with a mirror reflection except with my dream mirror & vanity (the kind with triple mirrors & the sunken center top, maybe its from the 40s).

JayD
07-21-2005, 04:28 PM
Hey Troy--go to Dick Blick or wherever you get your paper and check out the new Stonehenge tablets--they are priced much more reasonably.

Sults--LIVE YOUR FANTASY--DRAW US THE PICTURE!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: and a little :evil: to boot.

mhimeswc
07-21-2005, 06:08 PM
Mary, I love the way your tray came out. I especially like that ball/leg on the left. The reflections on it sparkle. Too bad you didn't do this on good paper.

Troy, I recognized it as champagne too. The bubbles were perfect. Good job on the glass too.

Reinhardt - I love your bottle. Great angle, and you did a super job with all the facets and reflections.

Anita, that apple is beautiful. This is going to be a really good piece. How did you get your reflection in it? (I don't mean how did you draw it, but how did you place the object and yourself to be able to see yourself in it?)

It's been so hot here this week that I have been concentrating on swimming and staying cool. My feet are so swollen that I can't even get my shoes on. I hope to get a drawing started tonight.

Michelle

Mary Woodul
07-21-2005, 06:31 PM
Sults, you are a genius! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Michelle, thank you! :D

Judi1957
07-21-2005, 06:32 PM
Evening All :wave:

SULTS!!!!! Welcome back! :clap: :clap: :clap: You have been missed so much here! Ohhhh can't wait to see what the Queen of Imagination is dreaming up! :D

I buy my Stonehenge in sheets. Actually it is my first order from a year ago -but had ordered quite a bit and haven't done as much cp as I would like. :(
I do like being to cut the pieces to the size I want-which is an advantage. I'll be pricing out the stonehenge tablets. Like to keep everything together that way.
Went to Dick Blink so I thought I may as well put the links for the Stonehenge in.

Full sheets: here (http://www.dickblick.com/zz104/23/) 40-48% off now

Tablets: here (http://www.dickblick.com/zz104/40/) 50%plus off now

Mary Woodul
07-21-2005, 06:33 PM
Mary, NOT printers (like computers)--printers like people who print---wont find at office depot! LOL!!
Oh, JayD, I get you now, thanks! :D

Mary Woodul
07-21-2005, 06:39 PM
Judi, thanks for the link, my son is going up to Texas on Monday so I'll show him the pad. :wave:

Anita Murphy
07-21-2005, 06:50 PM
Hi Sults!!!!!! :wave:
You've been missed - did you notice? :p

Michele - my reflection was just there - no prior planning. Real pain putting it in though because it changed all the highlights and shadows.

Mary - I didn't go today but will check the art store tomorrow and let you know if it available here. If I can't get it here I will get myself some next week in Washington. There is going to be a sudden run on this paper!

Troy Rochford
07-21-2005, 08:13 PM
Jay - I never even bother pricing tablets. I hate working small, and generally each piece that I do is 16x20" or larger, so I buy sheets. On the subject of where to get things, I have the luxury of living about ten miles from one of the biggest art schools in the country, so fantastic art stores are like Seven-Elevens around here! :D

Reinhard1
07-22-2005, 06:16 AM
HI All,
sorry for being so late answering but we are having visitors and therefore less time for drawing - and answering.
To clearly state it: YES REGINA IS ALWAYS RIGHT!!! If she had the patience for drawing, she would be so much better than me, but let's wait and see.
The lettering on the bottle was fun, IMHO it brings out the glass better since that label was so dark. There is obviously life beyond portraits as I am finding out - the pressure for absolute likeness is less and that reduces stress (but takes away a little bit of the challenge as well). I might try another glass on a different paper though since the smooth tonal transitions were rather difficult to achieve.
Thanks to all of you for taking the time to look and C&C.

JayD
07-22-2005, 08:59 AM
Hey, Troy--I prefer working smaller but I do larger pieces so the pad are nice to have around. Artpaper.com is right down the road from us where my daughter will attending college so I will have a chance to do some major paper raiding there. I have HUGE sheets of stonehenge that I have waiting to be cut up as well.

Anita Murphy
07-22-2005, 09:21 AM
I have a roll of Fabriano paper that I bought when I was doing my final year of my degree. It is Fabriano Ruvido - does anyone know about this paper?

Judi1957
07-22-2005, 09:38 AM
Hi Anita! :wave:

Here are two links from the Learning Center about paper (http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/3698/520/) and a Glossery of terms (http://www.artpaper.com/glossary.html).

sultry
07-22-2005, 10:13 AM
Jay & a lil devil to boot? Ok, sorry you got me, what devil? Now you have me looking on EBay for my dream vanity to draw and possibly entice Carmelo with it after my pic is done. I will just have to tell him that the picture needs to hang next to a real one.

Hugs, to you Judi, Anita and of course Mary :) Yeah I could tell I was missed. As I said I miss you all too.

Judi1957
07-22-2005, 10:23 AM
Hi again :wave:

The M & M's are in (Michael and Marie) :D :D
Won't be here much the next three days-so I doubt if I will get to work much on my glass. Here are the first 3 WIP's. Blue perfume bottle. It has a funny bottom which indents up into it-so that is why the bottom looks funny as it does. Most of the work that needs done is at the bottom of the drawing and the shadowing. I need to look more at the cp link on Classy Glass Class JayD but at the beginning of the class. Guess I'm about half way done. C & C welcome.

Have a great weekend!

Anita Murphy
07-22-2005, 10:58 AM
Judi - this is looking great. That class on glass from the CP forum is amazing. One of these days I will have a go at it too.

Hi everyone!

Mary Woodul
07-22-2005, 11:59 AM
Anita, I used Fabriano for the lily in the WDT, but I don't like it for colored pencil because it has a sort of honeycomb pattern that is a little hard to cover up. I think Fabriano is good for pastels.

Judi thank you for those links, the are very helpful. Your bottle is looking fabulous. It is an interesting bottle in that blue. I'll have to take a look at the colored pencil glass class.

Sults, I remember having one of those vanities or it was my mother's, when I was about 10. I loved to play with it because I could look at myself from so many directions at the same time. Do that painting your thinking of. Maybe you can find a picture searching 19th century furniture or later, and also tell Carmelo that that is the one you need for the painting.

Hi guys! :wave:

cmwynn
07-22-2005, 12:43 PM
Anita - very imaginative sp in the glass apple.
Anne - the glasses look good, I don't know how you show the darks without making it too dark.
Hi, Sults - I remember those vanities. I have a bathroom cabinet with a center mirror and two mirror-doors on the side that open that way. It fascinates the baby to see himself multiplied. But it doesn't have the atmosphere of the old vanity.
Judi - love that blue. You obviously used a center line for you bottle. I did, too, though as CJ pointed out, mine still came out wonky. I know I should go back and repeat that lesson.
I have used Stonehenge pad paper for a lot of my better drawings. I like the smooth finish and usually it gives good results. This time I had a problem, I guess from erasing too hard. It left a grey, rough area in a place where there was not supposed to be anything. I covered it up mostly with the sepia wash and come white cp, but have never had this happed before.
As I expected, the concept here was better than the execution. This is supposed to be a reflection of me in the glass of a framed photo of me in much younger days (in fact, 1960.) The stuff at the top left is the reflection of a curtain - I know it needs explanation. This is the original photo, step 1 and the final version. The original portrait has a reasonable likeness, and was so much less agonizing than the one I did for the sp lesson. I did try to put in some white hightlights for the reflection on the glass, but the picture is too light for them to show up.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2005/29839-cmw1960xm.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2005/29839-mirrorxm.jpg
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/22-Jul-2005/29839-Double_portraitxm.jpg

Mary Woodul
07-22-2005, 01:47 PM
Connie, I like your reflection and your picture is so beautiful. For some reason you look so familiar. You didn't go to highschool in San Antonio, did you? Wouldn't that be a coincidence? :D

Anita Murphy
07-22-2005, 05:53 PM
Connie - what a lovely lady! And a lovely drawing too!

Hi everyone!

The start of my glass still life.

Troy Rochford
07-22-2005, 06:32 PM
That looks great, Anita!

Mary Woodul
07-22-2005, 06:58 PM
That is a beautiful bottle Anita and the glass is rendered so well. I just tore two tries on glass with colored metalic pencil. Forget it, it is hard enough with graphite. I'll start the graphite one, right now, if not I won't get anything done. :(

Hi, Troy! :wave:

cmwynn
07-22-2005, 07:19 PM
Anita - it's looking good, but slightly melted. It is hot enough here to melt glass, I think, but you might want to straighten the left bottle up before Jay sees it.

Anita Murphy
07-22-2005, 07:25 PM
Connie (and JayD) - its not melted - its bad photography :D!

Mary - I keep meaning to try glass with CP but something keeps stopping me. Possibly cowardice! :p

Thank you Troy

Troy Rochford
07-22-2005, 07:38 PM
Connie (and JayD) - its not melted - its bad photography :D!

Mary - I keep meaning to try glass with CP but something keeps stopping me. Possibly cowardice! :p

Thank you Troy

Glass with cp is so much fun! If I can find the time I will be doing some kind of cp still life involving a bottle of wine. I decided that the other night.

phoebecat
07-22-2005, 07:52 PM
Connie, I love your drawing! It's very imaginative.

Anita, your bottle is beautiful! It looks very glassy.

All day at work today I kept thinking "I want to go home and draw some more glass." So, now I'm going to go rummaging through my apartment for glass objects.

Anne

JayD
07-22-2005, 07:59 PM
Connie, Lovelyt work--it is always the point of doing--even if it doesn't always come out the way that you expect will sometimes yield some pleasant surprises. Nice work,indeed! :clap: :clap:

Judi--SHOW OFF!!!! Like the shot of the stonehenge. :) :clap: :clap:

Anita! What IS glass but melted sand!!!! Nice work--one comment--you have achived that glorious roundness in the lower half of the neck--up at the top it flattens out a bit--you might be able to correct it simply by adjusting a few highlights. Nice work and beautiful glass. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Fireman's kid
07-22-2005, 10:12 PM
Hi all! :wave:

I saw someone looking for missing classmates and I heard some mention of ear pulling. Thought I better pop in and apologize for not being around. I have been trying to keep up on the reading and am very :envy: of all of the great glass drawings. You are all getting so good that you are leaving me in the dust. I guess I actually have to start drawing if I want to start improving. :o

Anyway, I have been living in the world of color for the last 6 days - working on my house portrait. I just posted an update here on my thread in D&S and could use some advice on some shadows. Anyone who would like to help please stroll on over and take a look.

I do want to do some drawings of glass, but will have to add it to my list of classes to go back to (which I think is now longer than the list of classes which I have actually completed :rolleyes: ). But I promise one of these days I'll get back to really participating. :)

Mary Woodul
07-22-2005, 11:05 PM
Hi Stacy, I want to go over and take a look at your house portrait. you have been busy.

JayD, I've been working on this mexican glass blown vase, that are very irregular in there form usually and I am posting it as a WIP. It still needs a lot of work so I will take it to the ranch tomorrow and post it on Sunday. I've been having trouble with the crystal balls because they are sort of opaline and I can't quite get the shine yet, but there is still a lot to do with it.

Anita Murphy
07-22-2005, 11:38 PM
Lovely, Mary - where can I get a vase like that???????

Mary Woodul
07-22-2005, 11:49 PM
Anita, I bought this one in San Miguel Allende. They have all shapes and colors but you can probably find one at any artesanìa shop or gift shop.

Cathie Jones
07-22-2005, 11:53 PM
Beautiful work everyone!! I'm embarassed to post my mess, but it won't take anymore erasing, so I'm letting it go and will start something else on the list this weekend. I got a small reprieve on the newspaper stuff, so should have a little time to play!

This is from a photo in the RIL. It looks like there's condensation on the outside of the glass, so there's not much sparkle or highlight except at the edges, but I liked the look of it.

Comments appreciated to help the next project . . .

Anita Murphy
07-22-2005, 11:54 PM
I have a thing for anything square Mary - so I just have to have one of these - or maybe two if they come in different colours :p

Anita Murphy
07-22-2005, 11:57 PM
CJ - we cross-posted! The only thing wrong that I can see is that the liquid in your glass doesn't have any definition at the front of the glass (does that make sense?) How did you get your background so even?????? I like the way the tone changes where the edge of the table is seen through the stem.

Cathie Jones
07-23-2005, 12:16 AM
Hi Anita. Thanks - no, afraid I don't know what you mean. In the photo the liquid looks like champagne. It's something transparent and bubbly, anyway, but the condensation on the glass dulls everything.

I did this on my 11 x 9 sketchpad, and the paper won't hold much of anything. I started with graphite and willow (forgot what it's called) and when it wouldn't get dark enough, I added charcoal. It got really messy, so I sent over it with a tissue and that evened it out a bit, but also made the background much lighter. It's pure black in the photo.

I want to do the next one on Bristol. I've ordered two sizes of Stonehenge paper from Dick Blick - I was fascinated with the 8 x 8 - I love square things, too! But it won't be here until late next week.

Anita Murphy
07-23-2005, 12:47 AM
CJ - I mean that the oval shape of the glass should be followed in the liquid - even if it is frosted on the glass there should be a slight change in the tonal value. But then you have the ref pic and can see if there is or isn't.

Oh I didn't see the 8 x 8 Stonehenge - going to have to have some of that too! I've taken to buying square canvases too!

Blah
07-23-2005, 02:25 AM
Hi Class :wave:

I am sorry to have absconded. I have once again hit an extra busy patch at work, but I have been visiting this thread on and off whenever I have found the time. Haven't had the time to post or draw though, until today.

I have read through Jay's lessons and tips, visited all the recommended threads, and identified what I wish to draw. But there are already so many lovely drawings posted that it is going to be tough to post something worthwhile.

I am glad this particular class runs until next weekend.

Blah

Mary Woodul
07-23-2005, 08:22 AM
Good morning everyone! :wave:

Anita, yes they do have those vases in different square sizes. I bought three, one that is smaller and one that is larger. In an Interior decorating book of Mexican homes, there was a coffee table with three short wide one's of different sizes and the three were packed with white rose buds. It looked awesome. It was in a very minimalist house. The factory is in San Miguel Allende, Guanajuato. If you go to Queretaro, which is about two hours from you, there is a turn off to San Miguel, and it is about 20min. from Queretaro. But then you have Valle de Bravo closer to you and that is a place where they also sell all kinds of beautiful artesanìas.

CJ, the moment I saw your thumbnail, your glass reminded me of something cool and frosty.

Hi Blah, good that your with us again and I am looking forward to what you will post, I know it will be superb.

See you all tomorrow! :wave:

Cathie Jones
07-23-2005, 10:06 AM
Thanks, Anita. I understand what you mean now. The photo was 'posed,' and I think the lighting was a little strange, so I'll have to take another look at the drawing and see what I can do about it.

Hi Judi and Mary - and Blah, you've been missed.

mhimeswc
07-23-2005, 10:13 AM
I didn't get started on this until yesterday. It's far from finished, but I wanted to show you all that I am, indeed, working on it. JayD, this is harder than I thought it would be. It was MUCH easier to paint the darn thing. I also found out that if the drawing isn't exactly like the painting (which it isn't), the highlights and shadows don't all fit properly. I guess that's why some people resort to projectors. Not me - if I had to drag a projector out every time I did a painting I would never get around to doing anything.

I'll post some more tonight.

Michelle

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jul-2005/20035-glassdrawing.jpg

Cathie Jones
07-23-2005, 10:34 AM
Very nice, Michelle!! And I completely agree that it's easier to do glass with watercolor than graphite!! I'm thinking I'll try marbles anyway - at least I can use a template to make them round. :D

Anita Murphy
07-23-2005, 10:43 AM
CJ - that's cheating!!!! You already painted marbles as I have which is why I have avoided them as I nearly lost all mine at the time!

Michelle - It may be hard work but you are doing a wonderful job!

Mary - I didn't see them at Valle de Bravo but I am sure I should be able to get them at Ciudadela here in Mex City. Oh dear, I shall have to go and see! :evil: One of these days I will get to San Miguel de Allende. Everyone has told me its wonderful there. I saw a poster for San Luis de Potosi in the airport - maybe I should come visit you too! :p

Mary Woodul
07-23-2005, 11:35 AM
Anita, you are more than welcome. I can take you to see our beautiful Mexican Barroque churches. San Miguel is a must, you would love it! Did you know that a lot of US artitst live there? It is also a town for a lot of US retired people.

lullrich76
07-23-2005, 01:57 PM
Michelle--It looks wonderful so far, can't wait to see the finished product.

Lisa

phoebecat
07-23-2005, 02:05 PM
Judi, I didn't see your drawing before I commented last time. Your perfume bottle is beautiful!

Mary, the vase with crystal balls is fantastic!

C.J. great glass!

Michelle, great start on the glass cats!

Jay-D, I just want to thank you for the great class and for letting me join in so late in the game. I've been having so much fun drawing glass, despite the fact that I didn't even want to try, at first.

Here are two more attempts of mine from the past two days. With the candle, I tried a little colored pencil on top of the graphite. I didn't pay any mind to perspective and I can see that I should have. I need to go back and do the perspective class! I think I need to stop being so heavy-handed with the pencils and try something more subtle. Thanks for looking.

Anne

Cathie Jones
07-23-2005, 02:16 PM
CJ - that's cheating!!!! You already painted marbles as I have which is why I have avoided them as I nearly lost all mine at the time!

LOL Anita! I absolutely LOVED painting marbles! Now cherries are a different story - try getting the tonal differences in them with watercolor! Anyway, I have a feeling doing marbles in graphite will be quite a different story. :rolleyes:

BTW, I've printed a couple of mustcreate's marble pics and changed them to greyscale - and have found that it's easier to see the different shadings if you use the 'fill flash' in Photoshop - makes a world of difference.

Blah
07-23-2005, 02:35 PM
Hi Everyone :wave:

This is going to be a long post since I have just gone through 10 pages of this thread.

Jay...lovely examples - "the work that you have done with glass".

Chuck...I like your digital sketches, and of course your stones in a glass jar. And yes, one of the stones does seem to be making its way out.

Anita...your drawing of the glass balls is lovely. Is that a glass ash tray that you have placed them in? Whatever it is, the total effect is very nice.

The venetian glass apple is excellently drawn :clap: I like the way you have drawn the highlights, reflections and details. I also see that you have made a fine start to your glass still life.

Michelle...how does it matter if your drawing was done two years ago, or if it its a water-colour? Your three glass cats painting just shows that you have no problems depicting glass. Now that you have started on the graphite version I am sure it will turn out equally good.

Bon...stunning sketch of the sphere atop a cube :clap:

Lisa...the sketch of the vase is fine, but if its empty what is the slanting ellipse at the top?

Mary...your drawing of your reflection in your glazed door & the total effect of that drawing are very nice but, as you have pointed out, the drawing does not shout "glass".

I found the still life (pear) drawing confusing, until Michelle commented in her post about the glass ball legs of the tray. I had been wondering where the reflections of the glass spheres had come from.

The mexican glass vase is a beautiful piece and I can see that you are on your way to a really good drawing.

And, congratulations on your promotion to a Moderator :clap:

Judi...Your vase drawing is excellent :clap: and I agree, the photograph does not do justice to it.

Your cp drawing of the blue perfume bottle is coming along extremely well.

Connie...in your watercolour version the flowers grab all my attention, but in the graphite version the waterfilled glass jars have come out really well.

Your simplified self-portrait is a nice try; too bad Jay did not buy the idea. Your second effort is brilliant in its concept, and its individual components are nicely drawn, but you have made your reflection opaque. I think you need to create the illusion of glass over the photograph/older portrait by making your reflection transparent and providing additional highlights.

Anne...your drawing of a glass bead pendant is wonderful :clap: I envy your ability to achieve such darks; they give such depth and volume to the drawing and make it stand out. The details are excellent too.

In your glasses drawing however, I agree with Mary's view that apart from the extra-dark shadow below the eye, the glass is too clear and free of reflections.

Troy...that is a wonderful drawing of a long-stem glass. the highlights are beautiful :clap:

Reinhard...the bottle looks good, the lettering and label make it look even better, but unlike the others I like the darker version.

Cathie....you have caught the chilled/frosted look beautifully. I think the edge of the table will be slightly displaced when seen through the stem, but then I am only guessing.

I am posting my drawing of a modified version of Mustcreate's Marbles for Mike. My thanks to Mustcreate for making this photograph available to our RIL.

Blah

lullrich76
07-23-2005, 03:51 PM
Blah--the eclipse at the top of the vase is a shadow from the light.

Your marbles are beautiful, so much detail.

Lisa

Anita Murphy
07-23-2005, 04:23 PM
Blah - super marbles. I hated painting them but feel a challenge coming on to draw them.

CJ - painting the reflections of the marbles was what drove me really nuts! Might have to have a try at drawing them instead.

Anne - great stuff - I think the candle holder is very good (must be the square thing :p).

I finished my still life - very interesting drawing from real life rather than from a photo. Especially as the light keeps changing - how dare it!!!! The biggest challenge was the background - if anyone has any tips on how to get a nice even tone, could you let me know.

Troy Rochford
07-23-2005, 04:51 PM
Blah - super marbles. I hated painting them but feel a challenge coming on to draw them.

CJ - painting the reflections of the marbles was what drove me really nuts! Might have to have a try at drawing them instead.

Anne - great stuff - I think the candle holder is very good (must be the square thing :p).

I finished my still life - very interesting drawing from real life rather than from a photo. Especially as the light keeps changing - how dare it!!!! The biggest challenge was the background - if anyone has any tips on how to get a nice even tone, could you let me know.

Anita that looks really nice. :) As for background, I'm not sure what you're going after in this picture (do you want the whole thing as dark as the left side, for instance?), but if I'm understanding your question correctly, I can only tell you what I do and it seems to work just fine. If I'm going for a really smooth, even-toned background, I apply the media in a somewhat circular fashion (to avoid directional lines) with a light touch, then blend with a light touch with tissue or chamois, and then repeat until it is as dark as you want it. Hope that answers your question. If it doesn't, pretend I never said anything!! :p

Anita Murphy
07-23-2005, 05:05 PM
Troy - I have to ask - can your cat really eat a whole watermelon?
I will try the circular motion as hatching is doing nothing for me! I want to keep the shading as it is but IRL its quite uneven and I would like to get it smoother.

Troy Rochford
07-23-2005, 05:54 PM
Troy - I have to ask - can your cat really eat a whole watermelon?
I will try the circular motion as hatching is doing nothing for me! I want to keep the shading as it is but IRL its quite uneven and I would like to get it smoother.

Sounds like you just need more layers. Just do it lightly until it evens out. On the lighter sections of yuor bg you can also apply your media directly with a blending tool for a softer effect....

Lol, the cat thing is just a line from a silly movie.

sultry
07-23-2005, 06:17 PM
Hiyas, Everyone :wave:

Judi, Your blue bottles are looking very realistic and very pretty.

Blah, what nice marbles you have (rendered). lol no really, they look wonderful and they sparkle.

Anita, I love this, IMO, you should keep up the dark bg (Troy has a good tip too. What would make this pop out even more, if you could possibly do the shadow as reflected light on the dark bg. wall.

JayD
07-23-2005, 07:47 PM
Blah, love the marbles--very nice work.

Anita--that is a really nice glass arrangement--keep a look out for you tones--dont be afraid to go deep and experiment.

Anne, I so glad you decide to step in and participate--glass is fun to draw. I also think it forces you look for those values etc...

Michelle--you are doing fine--same with anita--dont be afraid to intensify your values. Those are very nicely drawn.

JayD
07-23-2005, 07:49 PM
Also, Anita--to add on to Troy's comments--dont try to hurry the picture along. It will come as you build.

Cathie Jones
07-23-2005, 09:51 PM
Hard work, this one is . . . but I love every minute of it because I love marbles!

WIP - this part probably took about 2 hours, maybe more. I'm so slow!!

Troy Rochford
07-23-2005, 10:44 PM
Looks good, Cathie. I guess everyone must have marbles on the brain now! I was just going through the ref lib myself looking for marbles, when I SHOULD be working on something else!

Cathie Jones
07-23-2005, 10:58 PM
Hi Troy. Thanks for looking. I just can't resist these little shiny round things - don't know why. I hope you do some, too.

Anita Murphy
07-23-2005, 11:04 PM
JayD - about going dark. If I user a softer pencil to make the darks darker - it also changes colour as well as tone. From a grey to a black. Or is it better to use the same pencil in more and more layers????

CJ - more lovely marbles! I envy your patience - I find it really hard to work so slow. I love marbles too - somewhere I have some but I can't for the life of me remember where or if I even unpacked them this move.

mhimeswc
07-23-2005, 11:49 PM
Blah, your marbles are wonderful!

Anita, the bottles are terrific, and I love those glass apples!

Okay, after a few hours tonight, here is my graphite version of the three glass cats. Funny thing, in the scan some areas are lighter than the actual drawing, and some areas are darker. The first scan almost whited out the middle cat. I scanned it again and this is what I got.

Michelle

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/23-Jul-2005/20035-glassdrawing.jpg

Cathie Jones
07-24-2005, 12:14 AM
Your cats are beautiful, Michelle. They do look like their respective kinds of glass. I'm envious of your ability with folded cloth!!! :clap:

mhimeswc
07-24-2005, 12:47 AM
Thanks, CJ.

I goofed when I uploaded my cats - I gave them the same name as the partially done one, and now both posts have the finished one.

Michelle

Troy Rochford
07-24-2005, 03:13 AM
Well, well, well... I have two commissions that I wanted to get started on today, and instead here I am 3 o'clock in the morning drawing marbles... and not very well, I might add! This is interesting enough as a value exercise though. I'm going to try to wrap this up tomorrow so we'll see how it turns out.

Cathie Jones
07-24-2005, 09:08 AM
Troy :clap: THey're addicting, aren't they??? Looking good . . .

A little bit more:

JayD
07-24-2005, 11:24 AM
Anita, I usually stick to one pencil after I lay in my sketches with an HB. Mostly, I have taken up the mechancial pencil of varying degrees of softness. I would continue to build layers until your gut tells you to move on to the next pencil. Remember, you decide when you are finished. :evil: :clap: :evil:

Michelle, sometimes you may have to adjust your image with your graphics editor to get the look that you achieved on paper. I love your glass cats and the folds are a nice touch with the fabric. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Troy, looking good and yes, they are, as cj says addictive. Dont be too self critical--you have a really nice touch. Oh, stick around for the next class--it ties into this one. We have one more week to go on this one so draw me a catseye!!!--and a decent shooter!!--not steeley's though--not this class!!! :D :clap: :clap:

CJ--let yourself go and push those values. Your marbles look good but punch them up a bit with the values. Locate your darks first, then your highlights and finally finish up with your midtones. Good work!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Troy Rochford
07-24-2005, 04:38 PM
A little more pleased with it now... This is taking quite a bit longer than I expected though, lol. C/C welcome...

Mary Woodul
07-24-2005, 04:41 PM
Thank you Blah for your comments. I understand why you got confused with my platter, it is also concave in shape. I will post a reference picture.
Blah, your marbles are stunning. They are so realistic and the clearness so clean.

Anita, also like still life, you are rendering such a clean clear glass. That is beautiful and the dark background looks great.

Troy, I like your marbles also, BTW is that a little face in the back marble?
I'm going to take you advice to Anita also because I have not been putting in bg, since it is something I have not learned in graphite or cp.

CJ, your marbles are looking great. BTW, I think Anita had mentioned before, in the July issue of the Artist's Magazine there is a section on cp and there is a very nice drawing of marbles in cp. It covers a little on glass.

I think you're doing very well Michelle, with your cats. They also look crystal clear.

Anne, I like your drawings and I think your particular style is drawing your objects quite dark, which could be the case of very dark glass. You can put in some very little highlights maybe so they would look a little more glassy.

This is my Mexican glass blown vase and I was putting in a background but erased it and got it all dirty. I don't know if it could use a little more contrast.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/24-Jul-2005/43096-IMG_2325.JPG

Mary Woodul
07-24-2005, 04:47 PM
Wow, Troy we just crossposted. Those look marvelous. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Judi1957
07-24-2005, 06:02 PM
Hi All :wave: Poked in a couple times when the M&M's were quiet-so that wasn't too much LOL. They are gone now and wont see them till Thanksgiving/Christmas time-but next weekend Maggie and I are meeting Luke in Norfolk as his ship is FINALLY coming in! :clap: :clap:

Wow-have you all lost your marbles????? LOL :rolleyes:

JayD-My guess next class is on drawing metal (or Baily :rolleyes: )

Connie-I imagine you were the Queen of the prom in High School! Nice self-portrait. :clap:

Hi-Mary, Cool vase-coming along very well! :clap:

Stacey-Welcome 'back' :D

CJ-like your marbles-though you do need to add some darks-they are looking wonderful! :clap:

Blah-you are so fabulous with your linework-awesome marbles! :clap:

Michelle-Cool Kats! :clap:

Anne-I see your perspective problem and it is a good idea to get that P-Class in-as it is pertinant to so much in drawing... but well done! :clap: That looks rough paper-what did you use? Yes-lighten the hand and do light layers till you get the depth you want.

Hi Sults! :wave:

Anita-Love the glass still life-such neat bottles. :clap: I do think there is something amiss in the neck/mouth of the tallest one.

Troy-Your marbles are excellent! :clap:

Hope I did not miss anyone, if I did my apologies-everyone is doing great!

I better get to my desk-way-way behind now.

JayD
07-24-2005, 06:12 PM
JUDI--As much as I would like you ALL to do pictures of my dog and I know Bailey would love it too--NO--that is not the next class. Hint: the next class is linked to this first class--but with no glass. :D :evil: :evil:

TROY--great work--you are illustrating a major difference between a solid object and one that is solid but made of glass. On a regular object the light will bounce off (read reflect) all of the surface qualities while with glass--the light will effect the glass not only ON the surface but THROUGH IT as well. Very nice work. I am glad you are enjoying this! Nice pencil work on the background by the way. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mary-- if you do play more with the contrast--focus on the spheres contained in the vase. Think about a highlight on the bottom of the vase as well. Here is something that you can try--take a flashlight and shine it at you glass and look for the reflections. Pick and choose your highlights.

Anita Murphy
07-24-2005, 06:18 PM
I am guessing the next class is going to be chrome.

Troy - I think your marbles are looking great. I think you picked the same marble picture that I painted earlier this year.

Mary - I love your marbles in the vase.

Anita

JayD
07-24-2005, 06:27 PM
Anita, I like your new avatar---Chrome--not even remotely close!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Cathie Jones
07-24-2005, 06:49 PM
I've decided that if this thing is gonna drive me crazy, I'm taking you guys with me! Here's another stage . . . (and you're starting to sound like those watercolor folks who keep screaming for more darks even when what you're painting doesn't have much!!) :D This is actually darker in spots than the scanner is picking up - reflection from the graphite, I guess.

Mary Woodul
07-24-2005, 07:21 PM
JUDI--As much as I would like you ALL to do pictures of my dog and I know Bailey would love it too--NO--that is not the next class. Hint: the next class is linked to this first class--but with no glass. :D :evil: :evil:

Ohhh, remember what you said about my object.........(gulp) :eek:

Thank you JayD, will try It! :D

CJ, your marbles are looking great.

Hi Judi, I'm so glad to hear about Mark, you must be siging in relief. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mary Woodul
07-24-2005, 07:25 PM
Thank you Anita and Judi, sorry I was forgetting with JayD's scare of next class.

Troy Rochford
07-24-2005, 08:01 PM
Thanks all for the compliments on my latest submission! Cathie, I agree your work is looking good, but you should push some of those darks to black IMO. Mary I love that vase!

THE NEXT CLASS WILL BE WATER!!!

And finally... an update :wave:

Judi1957
07-24-2005, 08:10 PM
Hint: the next class is linked to this first class--but with no glass. :D :evil: :evil:

JayD :wave: -Sunlight?
or water-thats a better guess Troy!

Mary :wave: -That would be Luke- :) And I am sighing greatly-luckily he was never in the position of our brave in Iraq and Iran.
LOL-Mark (SIL) just left with the M&M's-and he took my sketch of his truck from the sketching Class with him :eek:

And I forgot too Mary :o -thanks all for any comments on the perfume bottle. I am using a dry and wet colorless blender on it now-and it's pretty apparent I have a lot to learn with using these tools! :eek: :eek: Looks like I lost a bit of the shape of the bottle with the wet.

Anita :wave: -that is a beautiful avatar-did you paint that?

Troy :wave: -those a lovely marbles :clap:

CJ :wave: -your's are lovely too :clap: -and I agree with Troy-remember the teeny-tiney circles? Your reflections on the marbles are great!

mhimeswc
07-24-2005, 08:26 PM
Troy and CJ, your marbles are fantastic! :clap:

Water was my guess for the next class too. Reflections, but no glass. :)

Michelle

JayD
07-24-2005, 08:37 PM
I have a question for all of you Marblelous artist type people. Are you using live marbles or are you working from photos?

Mary Woodul
07-24-2005, 08:52 PM
Thank Troy for your comment. Your marbles are just magnificent. I like the reflexion on the surface from them. BTW if it is what I remember, it's not water.

Judi, sorry for the mix up with the names. Then it is Mark that has the grandchildren. I bet he liked the drawing. You know Judi I messed up a perfume bottle I was working on with the wet type blender. Your perfume bottle looks fine. I love the color.

JayD, I know your asking the question to the marblelers, but I have been taking fotos of the object and then drawing them. Is that wrong?

Judi1957
07-24-2005, 08:58 PM
LOL-Mary-no apology needed-LOL Mark is my step son not SIL:o :o -and yes he is Daddy to my grandchildren :D
--But if not for being new to the wet blender-did you like it otherwise? I like it myself.

Cathie Jones
07-24-2005, 09:08 PM
Beautiful, Troy!!! :clap: :clap:

Okay, okay - I'll think about teeny tiny circles. But remember, it's not finished yet. The darkest marble is on the side I haven't started yet.

Not water . . . not glass . . . has anyone guessed shiny metal yet???

JayD
07-24-2005, 09:13 PM
CJ--I did not say yet...heh...heh...heh... all are good guesses.

Mary, No, I work from photos that I usually take myself. I have a question for the marblers though but I am curious to see who is real and who is memorex.

Cathie Jones
07-24-2005, 10:08 PM
No marbles in my house, JayD, and I love Em's (mustcreate) marble photos. I chose one and greyscaled it.

Troy Rochford
07-24-2005, 10:57 PM
Update... Oh, and Jay, I snagged one of mustcreates marble photos to use as a guide. I think everyone did.

mhimeswc
07-24-2005, 11:03 PM
Yup, I did my cats from a photo of my cats also. It would be really hard to do a drawing/painting like this because one tiny move or your head all the reflections and refractions would change. It would be a nightmare!

Michelle

phoebecat
07-25-2005, 02:07 AM
Wow, everyone's marbles look fantastic! I was going to try drawing some tonight, but as I was searching the image library, I came across the coolest glass eye spider thing and I had to try that. I've kind of been obsessed with charcoal paper lately, but I decided to go back to smooth bristol for this. I think I'm glad I did. Unfortunately, my scanner is very dirty and I couldn't seem to remove all the grime, so the white background is a mess. Thanks for looking.

Anita Murphy
07-25-2005, 08:56 AM
JayD - that evil grin is becoming something of a habit with you!!!! :D If it's not chrome I go with Troy on water. Thanks for comment on new avatar.

CJ - your marbles are looking fabuloso - I love the one in the center - seriously classy glassy!

Troy - your's are ab fab too! If everyone has lost their marbles trying to sort out whose are whose among all these is going to be a nightmare! :p

Judi - Yes I did paint my avatar - its a tiny section of a painting 36ins by 48ins in oils that I did in my second year at University. It's the only piece I kept and it sits in a box 'cos my husband hates it. (Actually he dislikes all my artwork so I should be used to that!)

Anne - what an interesting piece! Great darks!

JayD
07-25-2005, 08:57 AM
Troy, I think you can take these abit deeper with the values. Avoid the hard edges as well but you know, this is one of the interesting things about spheres--it is not that easy to lose the edges.

For you and the other marblers--My question about real or memorex was because if you are working from a real object--try to see if you can tell exactly what the object is reflecting--a reflection is a drawing within the drawing. Nice work on this overall by the way. You have a very deft hand.

Anne--what the hell is it? And you say you saw this in the ref library? Its a neat object--would you mind posting the phot as well?

Anita Murphy
07-25-2005, 09:07 AM
Judi - I missed your bottle - lovely shape and colour. I might have a go at some glass with CP today.

Troy Rochford
07-25-2005, 11:51 AM
Troy, I think you can take these abit deeper with the values. Avoid the hard edges as well but you know, this is one of the interesting things about spheres--it is not that easy to lose the edges.

For you and the other marblers--My question about real or memorex was because if you are working from a real object--try to see if you can tell exactly what the object is reflecting--a reflection is a drawing within the drawing. Nice work on this overall by the way. You have a very deft hand.

Anne--what the hell is it? And you say you saw this in the ref library? Its a neat object--would you mind posting the phot as well?

Jay, I continually tweak my values throughout the process, and this has in fact been darkened some since the last scan, but I don't want to go overboard with it and muddy it up.

As for reflections, I've done that before in other pieces, but I'm working too small for that in this one. If I were drawing it from life, I wouldn't even attempt replicating detailed reflected images unless I were being paid to invest that kind of crazy time. This one has taken a long time even as a "rush" job! :D

phoebecat
07-25-2005, 01:04 PM

JayD, I already told you it's a glass eye spider thing :D Anyway, here is the photo.

Cathie Jones
07-25-2005, 01:12 PM
JayD, it's hard to tell in the small attachments we use here, but if you look at the bottom of my center marble you can see reflections of a door and some windows - upside down, of course! :D

JayD
07-25-2005, 01:43 PM
Anne, at least I know what it is now--it looked familar to me because I think I have these laying around somewhere--my daughter and my wife use these--its a bead (as the title says in the photo). I think she go some similar to them at Beads of a Feather. Thanks for the photo.

Very good, CJ!!!!

sultry
07-25-2005, 02:34 PM
Hiyas everyone,

Wow, everyone is doing a great job with the marbles. CJ, I love the values your getting. Troy you too.

Anne, that is a different object lol, reminds me of highschool when we were in pottery and given a little extra clay to make something. I think a few kids made eyeballs.

Well, I stopped working on the bear for now, and was asked to draw a girl freind's show cocker spaniel, I told her I would because she is such a sweet person, but that she would have to wait a bit since I have started to render a Cinderella's glass slipper for my 101 art class. So, here is my start on my glass slipper.
It is done with tissue & a #2 flat paint brush, no strokes yet what so ever (Except I used 4H to do the light sketch of the shoe).
The scanner has it looking more smudgey then what it is, sorry about that.
Oh, yeah I posted the start of "Gabby" in class 22 also. :)
Edited...See Judi, I toldja it was surprise. :)

Fireman's kid
07-25-2005, 02:58 PM
Sults- I'm not actually suprised at all that you have a glass slipper. It fits you in some way. :D Of course I had no way of knowing that was what you were planning to draw. Just not surprised you own one.

CJ - your marbles are looking great! I've looked at this series of reference photos before and considered doing one in watercolors, but I'm just not that crazy (or good!) yet. Looking forward to seeing this finished.

Troy - I love the finish of your marbles! They look fantastic. But there is nothing about them that looks like they were quick to do. You can't fool me. :D

Anne - very interesting glass eye spider bead thing. You have a recognizable style with your use of darks. And that's one area many (like me) struggle with.

Judi - I still think your vase looks beautiful. You haven't found a subject, technique or media yet that can keep you down. :)

Anita - I can't believe your husband doesn't like your art work. What is wrong with that man?!? ;) And I can't believe he is brave enough to say as much. After all, he has to close his eyes and go to sleep sometime. :evil:

Michelle - nice work on the cats. I agree that you did well drawing the different types of glass and that they read as such.

Hi Mary! :wave: I'm sure there is a drawing of yours that I haven't commented on, but I forget what it is. :o Sorry!! I'll make it up to you next time around, I promise. :angel:

Sorry if I missed anyone else too. My mind is mush today.

Well, have to run to the post office and then it's back to painting.

Troy Rochford
07-25-2005, 05:43 PM
Stacy - Thank you, and you're right, they DID take a surprisingly long time, but nowhere near the amount of time I normally put into a portrait. However, I just pulled out a scrap piece of illustration board and started a drawing that I thought would take a couple of hours, and that turned into about 8 hours total!! :mad: lol

That said, this one is pretty much done, save for some minor value adjustments and evening out of the background. I actually enjoyed this enough that I'm already planning to do it again larger when I have time to really take it slowly. That means sometime in the next 5 years ;)

Reinhard1
07-25-2005, 05:59 PM
Troy, very impressive!!!! :clap: :clap:

Cathie Jones
07-25-2005, 05:59 PM
I actually enjoyed this enough that I'm already planning to do it again larger when I have time to really take it slowly. That means sometime in the next 5 years ;)

Those shiny round things really are addictive, aren't they? I've painted them twice and will probably do it again. :D I think you have the perfect balance now, they're terrific!!

Stacy, you should try them. It's not as hard as it looks - and watercolor is even easier than graphite!

Sults, I think you're magic . . . and that's probably Cinderella's original glass slipper, isn't it?? Fess up! I bet you have those ruby slippers, too!! Seriously, you have such a wonderful imagination and I'm so glad you share it with us!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Anita Murphy
07-25-2005, 06:12 PM
Troy - I think these are simply lovely!

Troy Rochford
07-25-2005, 06:33 PM
Thanks all for the compliments! I'm glad this turned out okay-- I had to put in a good showing here, because I will likely have to to watch the swan festivities from the sidelines. :(

Cathie Jones
07-25-2005, 06:57 PM
SWAN FESTIVITIES?????
:eek:

Whatever that is . . .

You're one of us now, Troy, and you have to try even if you think you can't do it. And if you don't, one or more of us will come after you and drag you back by the earlobes! :evil:

HEY YOU GUYS! Has anyone mentioned yet that our subbie JUDI is now a GUIDE??? Congrats JUDI!! :clap: :clap:

Judi1957
07-25-2005, 07:43 PM
Troy, Those are beautiful marbles! I have to second the question: Swan Festivities??????

Thanks CJ!

Sults, Lovely shoe! That looks awesome!

My smilies seem to be gone-gonna have to go check my profile out.

Troy Rochford
07-25-2005, 07:56 PM
Lol, I was referring to the sunlit swan in the WDT. Seems interesting to me, but there is no way that I will have time to do that one unless I submit it WAY late. I WILL be keeping an eye on everyone who does participate, though!;)

sultry
07-25-2005, 08:57 PM
CONGRATULATIONSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!! JUDI YOU DESERVE IT GF :)

Ty Stacy but no this is just a photo not my shoe lol. Ty CJ, lol no ruby shoes here but I do have some wild looking Bondage platforms. lol

Here is the 2nd stage of glass slipper.

cmwynn
07-25-2005, 09:05 PM
Step out of the room for a little while and it goes beserk. I just can't stay, wanted to comment individually but will say everything is looking good. I need to spend more time on the glass, but for now am tied up with more paperwork and too frustrated to sketch, draw or paint . Wish I had Sult's glass slipper to take me away from here.
One comment about scanning. I have had some success with putting a strip of paper next to the drawing with a strong dark and strong light on it, so the scanner can have a reference point. Same with a color strip.

Judi1957
07-25-2005, 09:15 PM
Hi Connie, Sorry you are so busy and frustrated. Hurry back!
Hey-the people in the photography gave me similar advice on taking pictures.

Hey Cinderella Sults! Love the slipper!
What pencils/paper/size?

sultry
07-25-2005, 09:21 PM
Ty Connie I will try it next time.
Judi, I forgot how to spell the paper, Stone something and now in stage 2, I used circle strokes with heavy pressure for the bg, with my 8B (poor pencil was brand new when I started, it is now a stub). The heel is with my mech .05 HB (also in circle strokes). I need to do more smoothing and blending in that area and I also poked it with my kneaded eraser, here & there to get more of a shiney effect.
The circle strokes were done in the pressure & pull up effect as I gradually moved toward the highlights.

JayD
07-25-2005, 09:30 PM
Troy, simply perfect. Nice work.

Sults--very nice slipper--cant wait to see you finish it.

Also, a hearty 101 congrats to Judi on her being made a guide for this forum. Way to go Judi. Now we have a Judi and a Judy guide. :D

mhimeswc
07-25-2005, 09:57 PM
Anne, good drawing of a very creepy looking object. :-)

Sults - a glass slipper - how cool!

Troy, your marbles are awesome! Really!!!

Michelle

chaz
07-25-2005, 10:54 PM
I;ve been gone for alost four days (not physically gone, just gone from the drawing board and the pc for the most part) and when I get back to here, Everyones, lost or maybe more likely found their marbles. Good work on all of them. Troy how do you do that? And I came across a glass eyed spider from Phobecat(?). and glass slippers and something mentioned about bondage platforms(?) what's that all about?

And last and best, Judi's now a guide. Congrats

I have a Rum bottle that needs a little more work (Drawing, not drinking) before I can post it. (Dratted CP's are holding me up)

good work everyone, and good night

Chuck

mothsailor
07-26-2005, 02:26 AM
Everyone is producing stunning work. I've tried three drawings of glass, and they are all completely terrible, so I'm not going to post them. I'll keep on trying though!

Judi1957
07-26-2005, 05:55 AM
Hi Michelle!

Hey Chuck, glad you are back!!-so is the bottle still full? LOL

Hi DAVE!!!! Hope you are having time to enjoy sunny California with your family. Your drawings are probably not as bad as you think. Keep working on them.

Mary Woodul
07-26-2005, 06:43 AM
Good Morning! :D

Anne that is the most unique object I've seen in a long time and the way you rendered it is very good.

Sults, another super idea with your glass slipper and the heal of it is really looking like glass now.

Troy, your marbles are so beautiful you make me want to go out and buy some.

Judi, again congratulations!! You will be a super, super guide.

JayD, I just noticed that my oil lamp is completely crooked. I concentrated more on the shading and lost the symmetry. :(

sultry
07-26-2005, 07:04 AM
Mary, I love it, your lamp has such wonderful realistic reflectiion.

Dave, There you are, glad your back. :) Oh a word about rendering glass, I found if you draw your object as light as possible & do the bg first (leaving your object all white) you have a better chance of making it look like glass. Don't worry, it will come to you.

Chuck, some times we all need a break but then after the breaks we surprise ourselves. So good to see you back though.

Oh Jay, We have 1, Mary Mod, 3 Guides: Jay, Judi & Judy (heheh sounds like a start of a band).

Ty, Judi, Jay, Michelle & Mary on the c&c :)

JayD
07-26-2005, 07:10 AM
Dave--"If all else fails--lower your standards." :D

Mary, tsk...tsk...another victim of the lack of a center line. OH WELL--that is still one cool lamp. It looks like something Escher would come up with. Well done!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Troy Rochford
07-26-2005, 08:23 AM
Mary your reflections look great in that lamp! I'd have to second the "tsk, tsk, tsk" though.... ;)

JayD
07-26-2005, 09:07 AM
Mary, dont mean to be weird but is that "Death" in the reflection? I swear I can see a shroud and a skull face.

Anita Murphy
07-26-2005, 09:10 AM
Mary - WOW what an amazing drawing!

I wanted to post update on my work but my computer is still down GRRRRRRR - hope the problem will be solved tonight.

sultry
07-26-2005, 10:09 AM
Hiyas Anita, I hope you can post soon. Your glass work is gorgeous gf.

LOL, Jay, you see him too? I saw an image of dark guy in there too, Mary. Now don't tell me you were contemplating killing someone when you drew this gf. lol

Ok, here is stage 3, I am having a blast with values on this Jay.

Oh and for you Judi, here is my process so far with materials used...
I have gone ahead and rubbed out as much pencil strokes in the heel from before and now have used a Q-tip blended in the bg to get the graphite I need to add to the shoe. I loved all the beautiful marbles everyone has done so I drew 3 imaginary ones in my shoe in a bit of water. I was going to put my beta in it but I decided to put the marbles. Beta's are just too big for that small area.

I like this so much, I may just change my avator when I am done. lol Thanks Jay for having us do glass, hope one of our future classes includes fire (now that would be a challenge).
edited to add... What do you guys think of the title...
Cinderella has lost her marbles ??? lol

JayD
07-26-2005, 10:30 AM
Sults we will be cover water, ice and FIRE as well as metals. This is all for preparation of the Master's challenge in the fall (one of our final class assignments--followed by a redrawing of your original picture submitted in the pre-class assigment. :)

You really kickin' with the shoe. I am waiting anxiously for the next installment. :wave:

Mary Woodul
07-26-2005, 10:56 AM
Thank you, Sults, JayD, Anita and Troy for the comments. I'll third the tsk,tsk, learned another lesson. It shows at the end. :(

JayD, I also saw the face in the reflection and what it is is part of the same window in another demension but you know I am starting to worry about myself; you can find several skulls or faces in my encaustic abstracts. :eek: Not even in realism can I get away from them. :confused:

Sults, you glass slipper is looking great, it is the real Cinderella slipper.

Judi1957
07-26-2005, 12:25 PM
Mary- Love the lamp-the reflections are wonderful. How long did this take you? (I'm not gonna tsk tsk-angel) Clappie!

Sults-your shoe is just glowing! Clappie!

Hey JayD, Anita and Troy. wavie!

Troy Rochford
07-26-2005, 01:00 PM
Mary- Love the lamp-the reflections are wonderful. How long did this take you? (I'm not gonna tsk tsk-angel) Clappie!

Sults-your shoe is just glowing! Clappie!

Hey JayD, Anita and Troy. wavie!

See my post in your congrats thread! You must satisfy my curiosity! :wave:

Oh, and Mary - buy ME some marbles while you're out!

mhimeswc
07-26-2005, 02:59 PM
Mary, that's an awesome lamp, even if it is a little crooked. I probably wouldn't have noticed if you hadn't pointed it out. I don't usually notice things like that unless they are WAY off.

Sults, that slipper is coming along great.

Michelle

Cathie Jones
07-26-2005, 03:12 PM
Mary, that lamp is terrific. I have an oil lamp with a wooden base that doesn't hold it's globe very well, so it's always a little off kilter, so yours just looks normal to me!! :D

Sults, what a cute idea to add marbles to your slipper!! You're so smart.

I haven't done anymore to my marbles yet - work getting in the way again. Might be a few more days. But that's a good thing - gives me time to look at it objectively.

See ya . . .

SILKNSATIN
07-26-2005, 03:54 PM
Sorry I haven't been in lately. :evil: .Been out of town. :D
So many beautiful piece you all have created.WOW :clap: :clap:
Mary and Judi CONGRATS. :clap: :wave:
I collect glass tropical fish.So I been working on a glass dolphin.Didn't think i'd ever get it done.done on beinfang drawing paper with 2b and 4b pencil.
I noticed this kind of art is very hard to create but it was a fun experience.
ANDDD I won't be doing anymore soon.lol ugh ugh ugh!! :cool:

Cathie Jones
07-26-2005, 04:41 PM
Bon, your dolphin is gorgeous - it couldn't look more realistic if it was a photograph!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Judi1957
07-26-2005, 04:51 PM
WoW Bon!!!!!!
Talk about photorealism!! Like CJ said-GORGEOUS!
Clappie! Clappie! Clappie!

Anita Murphy
07-26-2005, 05:06 PM
Bon - you never cease to amaze me!!!!!!!!! HOW DO YOU GET THOSE SORTS OF RESULTS??????? Any chance of a classroom/WIP with step by step process instructions?

Hi Everyone else. :wave:

I was going to draw today only to find I'm out of paper :( How did that happen? Well, off to the States this week on Friday so I shall stock up on Stonehenge! Meanwhile I am going to have to cut off a piece of the Fabriano roll I have to see how it reacts to graphite.

SILKNSATIN
07-26-2005, 05:26 PM
Gee thanks all.
Sure I can do a step by step but this kind of art takes me longer lol.I'm not that good at it and its new to me.I used kleenex tissue with lotion in it on this piece lol.Sounds funny but it gave it a neat blend i couldnt find with my finger or another tissue brand.
Many of you have done way better then me on this kind of work but if ya all want me to do a step by step just let me know. :D

Judi1957
07-26-2005, 05:39 PM
Gee thanks all.
Sure I can do a step by step but this kind of art takes me longer lol.I'm not that good at it and its new to me.I used kleenex tissue with lotion in it on this piece lol.Sounds funny but it gave it a neat blend i couldnt find with my finger or another tissue brand.
Many of you have done way better then me on this kind of work but if ya all want me to do a step by step just let me know. :D

Sorry to disagree with you Bon-but the dolphin is the cream of the crop IMO-
I think everyone would love to see a wip.

Tissue with lotion-I would have thought that would mess up the paper-do you do this last?

JayD
07-26-2005, 05:50 PM
Bon, seems everytime you step up the plate you manage to impress the hell out us. lotion laced kleenix--well who would have thunk....the dolphin is a real show stopper. Nice work!!! Mary, I think you have some competition!!

Mary Woodul
07-26-2005, 06:24 PM
Wow Bon, that is the most realistic glass drawing I have ever seen. Tissue and lotion...........got to try that on something. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mary Woodul
07-26-2005, 06:26 PM
Sorry, I got carried away with Bon's Dolphin, thank you all for the comments on my lamp, and JayD, I would give anything be just a little close to Bon. You are terrific.

Mary Woodul
07-26-2005, 10:05 PM
I've been working on this one this afternoon but I will go slow, so that I can try an get the cp looking better. Wish I could give it the glitter on gave her dolphin.

Judi1957
07-26-2005, 10:31 PM
Hi Mary!
That is one beautiful bottle you have there-looking good!

BTW-Your new avatar is lovely-really classy looking!

JayD
07-26-2005, 10:42 PM
Beautiful! You're right. Go slow and layer very lightly. CP is for people with enormous patience. The line drawing is right on by the way.

Judi1957
07-27-2005, 06:29 AM
Morning all,
Posting part of my still life. Waited for a daylight pic as they do turn out more clear.
This part is a burgandy red glass of my grandmother's. There is a burning candle in it. It may look mis shapen but it has some shape/contour changes going in in the lower section.
C & C welcome.

Troy Rochford
07-27-2005, 08:04 AM
Very nice Judi!

JayD
07-27-2005, 08:18 AM
I think it looks fine--with that type of glass there is going to be distortion. Looks like you have handled it very well.

Anita Murphy
07-27-2005, 08:35 AM
Judi and Mary - looking good ladies!

Sults - I keep forgetting to mention your slipper - it's going to be fabulous.

Hi CJ, Troy, JayD, Michelle, anyone else I missed! :wave:

SILKNSATIN
07-27-2005, 08:54 AM
Mary and Judi these are coming along fantastic. :clap: .
Well I gave a step by step a try.I think I picked a hard subject to do though.I started on this about 6pm and finished about 11pm.Once I got into it I just couldn't stop til I finished.You ever get in that mood.?
Now i'm thinking maybe I should have tried this in colored pencil. :envy: at mary. :angel: :D
1.get your basic tools ready that you want to use for the project.
Castel 8b,Sandford 4b and castel charcoal pencil.Any type of eraser suits me.A ruler,I prefer plastic.A Q-tip and a tissue.I'm using kleenex plus with lotion in it.
2.Take a few snap shots so you can choose the best one.
3.If using graphite only then turn your project black/white or some say greyscale.
4.Enlarge the photo on your monitor or print it out.Which ever way is easier for you.
5.Lightly draw the outline of the object starting with 8b pencil.
6.I mostly start filling in from top left and work my way down.It's easier so you don't have much of a problem by smearing your work.If you don't like starting out this way you can always lay a sheet of paper over a finished part or you can spray the area with fixative.
7.Starting on the cloth first.I blended with my side pencil in a circular motion lightly then rubbed it with the tissue.went over it 2 more times,pressing pencil harder each layer.Using tissue after each layer.I then darkend it over with a charoal pencil.After I got my level of darkness I wanted I then filled in my most darkest area's.Still blending after with tissue.
8.Measuring objects size and area inside the glass was needed.Make sure you do it lightly so you can erase the lines later.You can draw your object lght and go over it many times til you are satisfied with the form you have created.Always try to draw the outside of the form first before shading it in.
9.Start to fill in the form but now using eraser and Qtip lightly to get the highlight area's.
10.Now you can begin on the darker area's around the form or for this project the dolphins.I started from the frame of the dolphins and working my way out.Always remember to do this first layer light.And remember to blend after each layer.
Now start adding the very dark area's.You can make then as dark as you like.Then you can bring out the lighter area's with the tip of your eraser.Make sure your eraser tip is very fine.If it's not just rub on a scrap sheet with each side of the eraser til you have a fine edge.
11.In the fine white highlighted area's you can draw then lightly so when you work around them you can see where you had then marked.
12.Last=keep working with the lights and darks and blendings til you are satisfied.

SILKNSATIN
07-27-2005, 08:55 AM
Steps
Fisnished.I forgot to say I'm usng 9x12 very smooth drawing paper.

Anita Murphy
07-27-2005, 09:03 AM
Bon - Thank you so much for doing that! Your steps are really clear.
The fabric is stunning - and the glass - well it looks like a photograph!
Thank you again! If I ever come a fraction of the way to your standard I will be happy.

sultry
07-27-2005, 10:21 AM
Hiyas everyone :wave:
Bon I love the glass dolphin but now your glass tutorial is priceless. I will have to use some of your tips when I go back to stage 5 ( I have stage 4 here now, on my glass slipper).

Mary I really love your " I Dream of Jeannie Bottle" :) & I too have been meaning to tell you I love your avator, & especially your pic of you & Beto in your profile. You two look so happy.

Judi, Wow that is one hard piece you are taking on (but I know you will fly through it with no problems). Your already getting that glass to look super.

Hiyas Anita & ty, to all of you for c&c On the slipper. :)

JayD
07-27-2005, 12:13 PM
An amazing demonstration, Bon--can someone PDF this for the class? also, I noticed that you did your background first. Very Hillbery AND its a trait of many color pencilist. A stunning piece. Thanks! I wish that I were there with you and my digital camera so that I could film it as an MPEG--then we could have seen this one as a movie. Wow!!

The shoe is looking good as glass but for some reason that I am not fathoming, it looks flat against the background. Does the class have any suggestions?

sultry
07-27-2005, 12:25 PM
Jay the reason for the flatness it because I went over the whole shoe with the eraser, I have to go back and shade the light. Having the light outline is just the opposite of having a sketched outline (believe me I know its flat right now).

Anita Murphy
07-27-2005, 12:26 PM
I think it is the background that is flattening it out, Jay. The shoe in itself is not flat.

Sults - we cross posted. I don't think the shoe is flat.