PDA

View Full Version : Plastic As Support

mansuri
01-05-2002, 10:28 AM
I would like to know if anyone here has used plasticboard as support. I mean does acrylic gesso hold on it well and how about the longevity of the artwork. Will the artwork last on abut 3-4 coats of gesso on plastic. How about glass?

sassybird
01-05-2002, 02:06 PM
Well, I have never painted on plastic (plexiglass) except to do monoprints in printmaking. Plastic, plexiglass is archival. That is why so many artists use it to store their work, or in a frame. I would be worried about paint getting moist and sliding off the support though. Humidity can be a bugger to some mediums. I am sure that someone here can give you more information though. Now, I have painted on hard board and had the work last for years and years without problem though. Oh, shoot, I guess the answer is I don't know....lol Keep checking back to your post, because someone will respond that knows what they are talking about.

sassybird
01-14-2002, 05:57 AM
I have been thinking about your question some more, and did a little experiementing. I found that if I lightly sanded the surface of the plexiglass that gesso, acrylic and even oils have stuck to it with no problem.

mansuri
01-14-2002, 11:46 AM
Yeah I tried it and it works. Now we can only guess how long it may last.

FM

Leaflin
01-19-2002, 02:48 PM
Sounds like a great idea :)
I have quite a lot of plexiglass left over from my last "I'm going to reframe everything episode"
Think I will give it a try.