PDA

View Full Version : Anyone For Eggs?

mrs willow
07-17-2005, 06:38 PM
I have taken absolutely ages to finish this painting.At least I thought it was finished until I looked this morning and noticed that the nearest egg is touching the edge of the blue shape on the cloth.......must change that!! Bring it further forward ANDTHEN... I will sign it!
C & C welcome as usual
Acrylic on wrapped canvas.
Size: Approx 24"x20"
Sandyhttp://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/images/17-Jul-2005/41548-Culinary_pleasures.email.jpg

P.S. Reference photo from Image Library

jan409
07-17-2005, 09:49 PM
I see what you mean about the closest egg, but it is a great painting. Jan

idylbrush
07-17-2005, 10:26 PM
Glad to see you are still with this one. It is beautiful. What an experience it has been. Congratulations.

Dovie
07-18-2005, 12:18 AM
I like it the way it is. Looks like the front egg is falling out of the collinder, kinda give it a feel of movement. Great painting!

mrs willow
07-18-2005, 06:04 AM
Thanks for this response folks! You are all so supportive.
Dovie & Jan: I am thinking about that line on the cloth and the edge of the egg.....will see how I feel when I catch the painting unawares!!!!
This painting is so different for me .....I know it is not abstract or really contemporary,but it is not traditional (which I think is my usual style)
Howard, this has certainly been an experience.....I almost gessoed it out yesterday!Thank you for the congratulations! ........Sandy

Wayne Gaudon
07-18-2005, 09:19 AM
it's very nice .. It seems to me that it's the flatness (in comparison to the other) of the front egg that makes it look unreal in comparison to the rest of the piece and a little out of place (falling instead of sitting on the cloth. I think if you develope the full roundness of the front egg it will take it's proper place.

Anita Murphy
07-18-2005, 09:25 AM
Sandy - great job. I liked this when you showed it before. I particularly like what you did with the colander.

jocelynsart
07-18-2005, 10:02 AM
I really love this! Agree with the part you want to correct. I think what I like the most is the contrasting holes in the collander.
Jocelyn

Lady Carol
07-18-2005, 10:32 AM
But it is finished. And what a fabulous end to this painting. Well done!! :clap: :clap: The collander worked out really well too with the shadows. Kudos for seeing this through.

Painting eggs is really hard. As you know they are not really white. It is a great exercise for newby artists and for old seasoned ones too :D

nes7827
07-18-2005, 01:13 PM
This is a great composition Sandy, one of your best I think! The whites are wonderful, and that collander really looks enamelled or porcelain. Did you move the egg? That kind of stuff bugs me too, I scan my work to find those things.... lots easier to fix in acrylic. I'd try to make that egg look more convex too, if possible, and then give it a go in w/c - you can't deprive our H2O friends of something this good! Nick

mrs willow
07-18-2005, 06:36 PM
Wayne, Anita, Jocelyn, Carol & Nick, Thank you all. Your responses are all very helpful and encouraging. :wave: :wave:
Wayne: I am still (mentally) working on this and I think I will do some more work on ALL the eggs.
Carol: You don't know how close this came to getting " the gesso treatment"!However, I am glad that I didn't do it.
Nick:Hi! :wave: It is always good to see your name come up on the screen.
No, I haven't moved the egg yet! As I said to Wayne,I think all the eggs need some more work.
Re doing it in watercolour....I did think about doing it in the old H20.....eventually.But, as you said, acrylics are easier to fix, and also, if interrupted,it is not so crucial.
Sandy

texana6
07-20-2005, 02:21 PM
I'm impressed with the subtle shifts in color and tone. How do you do that soft blending? A lot of glazing? Flow Aid? Slo-dri medium?

Charlie's Mum
07-20-2005, 05:57 PM
Sandy - notwithstanding the alterations/adjustments you want to make, this is still an excellent painting - beautifully controlled paint!
Having looked at it foe some time, I now realise it reminds me of egg tempera work (haha! no pun intended!)
You'll soon have it finished now :D

mrs willow
07-20-2005, 06:07 PM
Hi Texana6!
Thanks for looking!
This painting was not easy to do. The background was the hardest! I wanted to get a smooth surface texture to represent enamel.yet I also wanted to see some subtle reflected colour.At first I only used water as a medium...no retarder, glazing medium etc.The acrylic dries so fast that it was impossible to get a smooth effect on the area I had to cover.Finally, I used flow medium for the last layers. The eggs werefirst of all,painted "alla prima" ...blending done quickly with dry brush technique (and fingers) Then I applied lighter glazes,using the flow medium.
Generally, I never use any mediums with acrylic, so this was an interesting experience.
Cheers Sandy

mrs willow
07-20-2005, 06:15 PM
Hi Maureen! You must have posted when I was writing the above to Texana6!
Thank you for the support and comments. There were moments when it was more like "Sandy, keep your tempera" !!! As I stated above, it was not an easy painting to do.
Sandy

gaugin
07-21-2005, 12:53 AM
I guess at sometime we are all told not to square off images. To butt them or intersect them. And that's probably true a majority of the time. I like the way the eye travels through your piece to the egg's edge on the checker line. Brings you quickly out of the picture plane. If you follow the flow, thats a major part of the design. Actually gives a little tention to the egg falling or rolling because its tacked to the exit line.
If the colors in those checker had been anymore intense, it may not of worked as well Shhhh... tis is a secret, sometimes we don't have to do what we're
told.
What ever you decide to do further, will just add to a already strong work.

"As long as we read only that with which we agree, we learn nothing." Chester Dolan

mrs willow
07-21-2005, 03:07 AM
Thank you Gaugin! I really appreciate your comments. You have obviously given considered thought to your response and I agree,that sometimes it doesn't hurt to break a few rules (in painting anyway!!!!)
Sandy